The Interlude

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Are you ok?" Presley held Maria as soon as he had exited the room, she was clearly shook up from the interaction.

"I should be the one asking you that," she replied, "how do you do it? How do you stop her from getting under your skin?"

"You don't," he replied, "you let it in, then you seal it behind layers and layers of cynicism. Did you know about what she said?"

"No," she replied, "what are you going to do?"

"I have to talk to the Director," he replied, "he's got some explaining to do."

"Wait," she pleaded, "you still need medical clearance before you even think about going anywhere."

"I don't need clearance for him to answer some questions," he replied as he walked towards the office, "at the very least I need to know exactly how she found out this information before me." He picked up his pace, Maria followed closely behind him and together they entered the Director's office.

"Agent Presley, Doctor Gallegos, how can I help you?"

"How the fuck does she know that D is back with his family?" Presley slammed his fists into the desk in anger, the solid oak piece of furniture shook with the violent strike. "More importantly, why did she know before me?"

"Agent Presley," the Director's voice was calm, he clearly had expected this conversation would eventually take place, but Presley's anger truly surprised him. "You are still on the inactive list until I receive medical clearance for you. But to answer your other question, I don't know how she found out that information, I am beginning to look into it, before your visit, she has not had any contact with anyone."

"You'll get your fucking clearance," he replied, "if she is telling the truth and he is back with his family, you know how dangerous that situation will become."

"I already contacted the FBI," he replied, "they are looking into it even as we speak. Such a well-trained asset does not have the luxury of being unsupervised for too long. Continue your sessions, Agent Presley, I will keep you informed of anything that comes up." Before Presley walked away, the Director's phone rang. "What? Yes," snapping his fingers, he drew Presley's attention, "are you sure? Get confirmation, quickly. I will be dispatching one of our assets to help you, trust me, you'll need him. I'll send you his dossier, you'll understand then."

"What is it?" Presley asked.

"Your friend," the Director looked at Maria before continuing, "your friend's brother is currently behind bars. He is poised to take over his family's... business enterprises."

"Fuck," Presley replied, "we need to get his brother out of there, put him in one of our secure facilities. If he gets killed, we will be witnessing a very bloody war that will spill into the cities. A war that we will not be able to win. I can be down there in a few days."

"Fine," the Director replied, "you will connect with one of our local assets there," the Director picked up his phone, "get your shit together. This one will be more dangerous than your previous assignment, watch yourself."

...

"So, that's it?" She asked just as he had finished packing his bags, "you're just going to pack up and leave, just because of this family bullshit?!"

"What do you want me to tell you?" Presley looked at her, she was more beautiful when she was angry, "I have to go."

"But why?" She was holding back tears of anger, of confusion. Deep down inside, she was afraid that she was falling in love with this man. She was afraid that he would not be able to return to her. "Why do you want to go? Why do you want to get mixed up with someone as dangerous as that man?"

"Do you know his name?"

"You always call him D," she replied, "Damian..."

"That's not the reason we call him D," he interrupted her, "we call him D, as in Daemon. If he decides to head his family, there is no chance in hell that we could stop him. He might be a dangerous man, but he will not try anything against me."

"What makes you so sure of that?"

"Fallujah," he replied, "unless I bring the war to him, he will not bring war to me. I need to try to stop him if he is headed down the wrong path, or protect him if we are misinterpreting his actions. D is an honorable man, regardless of his past. Besides, if the roles were reversed, he would do the same thing."

"Please, Elvis," she kissed him softly, "please be careful. Come back, please."

"I'll do my best," he replied, "I'll be in touch." He started to walk away, just before he closed the door to his apartment, he spoke without looking at her, "you know I lied to her, right?"

"To who?" She was still trying to hold back her tears.

"Margie. I lied to her when she asked me if I loved her. I did, very much so, that's why her betrayal hurt so much, deep down inside I was hoping that I was wrong about..."

"I know," she replied, "we'll speak when you get back, Agent Presley."

Just as the door closed, she heard him say: "Goodbye for now, Doctor Gallegos."