The Interrogation

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Belegon
Belegon
124 Followers

" Wha's all the ruckus son?"

"Sergeant, there has been an ....well, I don't rightly know whether it's an escape or a theft, Sergeant."

"What d'ya mean lad?"

"The three Irish fellers we kill'd, sir. Ya know, with the weird tattoo on their necks? Da ones what fell defending the she-wolf up yonder wit the Cap'n? They're gone."

"Gone? How could they be gone? Someone stole the bodies?"

"I don't know Sergeant. But William ne'er feel asleep nor left his post, I would swear it. No one could have got to them without him seeing 'em. Yet when we went to check, dey was gone."

"Did ye tell the Captain?"

"He has not returned yet sir. He still is on top o' the hill with the prisoner."

"WHAT? Grab your gear boy! Robert, James, let's go! Head for the tower ruins! Captain should a been back hours ago!"

Sean walked the ruins one more time, but he knew it was futile. There was nothing to find. Ol' golden eye was just poking her head above the mountains, but even in the light of day Sean did not expect to find anything. Captain Ian was gone, vanished along with his captive, and no trace had been found except the ropes she had borne, one set cut and one whole. As he turned one last time before heading down to tell the men, the light of the morning sun caught on something. The flash of steel. Ah, here in the grass. The Captain's knife.

I awoke to find the stars above me, a bit chilled by the wind. She was gone. I can't have been out too long, for the lantern is still burning. Well, there is nothing for it. I'll just have to go down and see if they found her...

As I stepped out from between the stones something caught me as odd. The valley seemed different somehow. Away to the south was a great wash of light, unlike anything I had ever seen. It lit up the sky like the largest fire I could ever remember, but instead of the flickering red of a blaze it seemed white. The crest of the mountain hid it's source, but it was intensely bright. I searched my memory but could not remember anything in that direction but a solitary inn at the crossroads. Yet even if the inn were full to bursting and they lit bonfires in the yard it would not produce such a glow.

Still, below me I could make out the fire that must belong to my men. I hurried down to alert them to my mistake.

"Fuck dude. What are we doing up here? It's cold as hell. Sean, tell me again; why are we here?"

"I told you Robbie, it's tradition. Damn, I know your grandpa shoved it down your throat as hard as my old man shoved it down mine. 400 years and someone from each of our three families has always been up here on this date. You know it's bullshit as well as I do. But still, it makes things easier at home. Jim, pass me that bottle of Cuervo."

"Like Sean said Robbie, we all know it will make them all easier to live with. One night a year we camp out and get drunk and tell stories about the disappearance of Captain Ian. Big deal."

I stepped out of the shadows where I had spent the last several minutes listening to the strange talk of the youths. I did not know where my men had gone and I had never seen anyone dressed in the manner of these young men. My head hurt from pondering the implications, especially as the lad of 18 summers or so who seemed to lead them bore a strong resemblance to my sergeant. When the dark haired boy mentioned me by name I came into the light. Their reaction was puzzling.

Two of them screamed and headed down the gully as though the hounds of hell itself were after them. The elder lad named Sean was no less startled, but seemed a steadier sort. He was frightened but he stood and met my eyes as a man aught.

"Sirrrr? Um, are you, that is...My lord MacCailein Mor?"

"Aye lad, and the first thing one of you has said which had any sense to it. Now where..." I had to stop for the lad had ran to his knapsack on the edge of the light and was digging through it frantically. What in blazes had gotten into him? And where were my bonny lads?

"Sir? Captain? Is this yours then?"

"My blade! Aye laddie, and my thanks to you. I looked up top for it but could na find 'er in the moonless night and..."

Well! Not as steady as I had thought. The poor lad has fainted dead away!

Belegon
Belegon
124 Followers
12