The Journey Home Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes a nice one that I had designed just for her, but I'm not concerned about the ring at the moment. It's Laura I'm concerned about now. So tell me Doctor Stone, what's the prognosis? Where do we go from here?" Ben finished, inhaling a deep breath and then exhaled slowly. He felt relieved that she was still alive, yet concerned because she probably wouldn't remember him.

"I am unable to give you her address, but I will keep in touch with you," the doctor said as he glanced down at his watch. "I'm running late for my next appointment, so if you'll excuse me I must go now. If there's anything else I can assist you with or questions you need answered don't hesitate to call me." Ben stood from his chair and walked over to shake the doctor's hand and thank him for the information he provided and then gave him the number where he could be reached.

Ben left the conference room exhausted from everything the doctor told him. He headed straight for the hotel to talk to Max.

^^^

"Laura! It's good to see you again!" Dr. Stone said as she walked into his office. Not wanting to frighten her he didn't say anything about the visit from Ben.

"I know it's not my usual day and appointment time, but I must talk to you." She said as she was offered to have a seat on the first open exam table. Doctor Stone followed Laura and the nurse into the cool white room. "I fainted today at work and these visions are now interfering with my job and they're becoming quite bothersome," she added as the nurse took her blood pressure.

"Well everything seems okay with your vitals, but tell me about these visions you have experienced," Dr. Stone asked as he held her hand.

Laura described the previous events of the day, which caused her to visit him earlier than she would have otherwise. "When I heard that gentleman say where he was from I began to feel flushed, but I worked through it. When he was about to leave, he made a flirting comment about not having any pretty women back in Bloomfield Hills. When I heard him say that, I fainted." Laura paused to take a sip of the ice water the nurse brought in for her. She continued asking questions, "is there anything I can do to stop these visions, Dr. Stone?"

"Well it seems to me that the part of your brain that controls your memory is healing and one part of your brain is trying to communicate to the other. I'd have to say your memory is trying to come back." Dr. Stone paused, holding Laura's hand in reassurance. "My recommendation is that you go to Michigan; Bloomfield Hills to be exact and see if that triggers anything."

Laura pulled her hand back, crossed her arms over her chest and starred at the doctor. She was obviously horrified of following through with her doctors' plan. Her face became flushed as she squeezed her fingers tightly around her arms.

"Now don't panic Laura. I will send a nurse with you and she will send for your things once she finds a suitable apartment," the doctor replied in a calming tone.

"I will put in a recommendation to your employer that for health reasons you be transferred to one of their banks in Michigan, preferably near Bloomfield Hills. When that is arranged I will have Emma accompany you. Do you feel comfortable with her, Laura?" Dr. Stone paused briefly to assess Laura's response and then he continued. "I will have Emma make all the travel arrangements. All you have to do is be willing to get through this ordeal. Do you think you can handle this?"

The doctor picked up his phone and paged Emma. When she entered the room Dr. Stone filled her in on the plans. "It would be my pleasure to help you Laura. I've heard Michigan is a beautiful state this time of year," Emma said cheerfully as she placed her hand on Laura's shoulder.

Laura's supervisor was aware of her condition when she started work on her first day. When Dr. Stone contacted her later that afternoon suggesting a transfer to possibly aid in Laura regaining her memory, her supervisor was enthusiastic and began the process immediately.

By the end of the day a representative for the bank phoned Dr. Stone and told him that Laura would begin work at the Bloomfield Hills branch first thing Monday morning. This gave Dr. Stone and Emma five days to get Laura settled in Michigan.

Dr. Stone called in some favors when he contacted Dr. Tate at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak. He had met Dr. Tate at a conference in California some time ago and helped him solve a puzzling case with a patient. He told Dr. Tate of Laura's condition and what his plan for recovery entailed. He also said he was sending one of his nurses to be with Laura in case she needed assistance or if anything severe were to happen Emma would bring Laura to him.

Dr. Tate agreed and said, "Don't worry my friend, I will take good care of them both. Let me give you my personal phone number to give to Emma in case of an emergency and she can also contact me when they arrive at the airport and I will pick them up personally."

"Thank you Dr. Tate I knew I could count on you," Dr. Stone said and then ended the call as he closed his cell phone.

He picked up the office phone and asked the receptionist, "make reservations for two adults, one way, to Detroit's Metro Airport for tomorrow morning. When you finish that, call that moving company you used and tell them we need Laura's furniture moved to Michigan. Right now I just need them to begin packing, but be ready to move the boxes at a moment's notice," he finished and without waiting for a response he hung up the receiver. All this was taken care of as Laura and Emma stood there watching.

"Laura, you can stay with me for the night and we will take a cab to the airport first thing in the morning," Emma said as she followed Laura back to her car and then to her apartment. Laura parked her car in her designated spot and locked it as she waited for Emma to get out of her own car, which she parked right by the main entrance to the apartment complex.

Once inside, Emma helped Laura pack her clothing and personal things. When everything was packed, each grabbed a box and headed for Emma's car. Emma ran ahead to unlock her trunk and get the seats ready to hold Laura's things. "Thank God for fold down seats," Emma said as she took a box from Laura and shoved it into the back seat, through the trunk.

It took a couple trips back and forth and as the car quickly filled with Laura's things she said with a slight giggle, "Wow! I'm going to take up all the room back here. I guess some of this stuff can stay here for the movers to bring later." Laura looked at the writing on each box and picked out a couple to bring back in to her apartment. She and Emma each picked up a box from the trunk and carried them back in to the apartment. As they walked Laura said, "I can always purchase replacements when we get settled in Michigan."

Laura did a final walk through her apartment, "I guess that's all I really need for the time being," she said, walking back toward the front door. After Emma exited she double-checked the lock, turning the doorknob as she pushed against her door to ensure it had locked. "I always have a problem with this darn lock," she said as she walked with Emma back to her car.

Once the trunk was closed securely, the women got into the car and fastened their seatbelts. As Emma drove back to her house the conversation drifted back and forth from Laura's visions to Emma's personal life. "It will be nice to get away from all the bullshit around here," Emma said as she continued to drive.

Emma backed into her driveway and both women exited the car. "We can leave your things in the trunk and the cab driver can transfer the boxes in the morning." Emma suggested as she led Laura to the front door. She unlocked the door and pushed it open with her foot, allowing Laura to enter first before she continued, "You can borrow a pair of my pajamas for the night, Laura." Emma paused to set her purse down on the coffee table then turned to Laura and added with a wink, "That is unless you like to sleep the way I do."

"Um, no, that's okay; pajamas will be fine," Laura replied, not really knowing what to think of Emma's last comment.

"Excuse me for a moment," Emma said as she walked from the living room down a narrow hall and into her bedroom. "Make yourself at home, I'll just be a minute," Laura heard Emma say from the other room.

Emma returned a few minutes later carrying a couple suitcases. She tossed them on the couch and opened them. She walked around her house picking things up and placing some in one suitcase and then the other. Not knowing what the weather would be like this time of year or how long she would be gone Emma packed several different outfits; some casual, some dressy and some just plain comfortable for lounging around in. After Emma was satisfied she had packed everything she needed she zipped the luggage closed, set the luggage by the front door and then walked into the kitchen.

"Make yourself at home," Emma repeated to Laura who sat quietly at the end of the flowered couch. "I'm fixing us a snack, I'll be right back." Emma voiced from the kitchen as she prepared the bowl and the popcorn popped in the microwave.

Laura finally began to relax the longer she sat. Feeling more comfortable, she grabbed the remote from the stand on the end table to the side of the sofa and flipped through the channels looking for something interesting.

Another vision came to her as she pressed the buttons on the remote. This time she was sitting on a sofa near a fireplace and a male voice behind her told her to put on Animal Planet. As quick as the vision appeared it disappeared and she felt emptiness in her heart for the first time. An emptiness so overpowering it brought a tear to her eye as she once again rubbed the back of her ring finger.

Emma returned to the sofa with a big bowl of freshly popped popcorn and some napkins. She set the bowl and the napkins on the coffee table and left again, only to return a few seconds later with two cans of soda. She placed the cans beside the popcorn as she settled into the couch leaving ample space between herself and Laura for the bowl of popcorn.

"Mmmm, smells good." Laura said as the two settled down to watch some television and relax before going to bed for the night.

Laura didn't say anything to Emma about the vision. Instead, she seemed to be really getting into the movie that played on the big screen TV. When a commercial came up Emma reminded her that they needed to leave early because they would have to pick up their tickets and register their luggage before the flight boarded.

"Okay, thanks, but I probably won't stay up too much longer anyway," Laura said as she scooped more popcorn onto her napkin and tossed a couple kernels into her mouth.

^^^

Ben arrived back at the hotel, excited to fill Max in on what Dr. Stone had told him. Ben still had no idea Max actually talked to Laura, but he was about to find out. Ben used his card key to open the door to his room and walked in letting the door close behind him. He walked into the bathroom and after using the facilities; he washed then dried his hands. Ben turned off the light in the bathroom as he exited the tiny room and headed straight for his bed.

Max was watching the television as he sat perched on the edge of his chair and calmly waited for Ben to settle himself down so he could tell him the great news. Ben and Max started talking at the same time, "Hey, you'll never guess wha..." Both men stopped to let the other talk.

"Sorry Ben, you go first," Max said as he sat back in his chair instead of the edge.

Ben started telling Max what Laura's prognosis was, but something deep inside told him Max's information was more important than his. Perhaps it was due to the fact that Max was having a difficult time sitting still. Ben stopped right in the middle of his sentence and told Max he wanted to hear what he had to say first.

Max started his information from the time he walked into the bank. When he got to the part where he saw Laura and she fainted from his words Ben fell back onto the mattress, rolled to his side and began crying. He wasn't sad anymore. His tears were tears of joy. He had finally found his Laura. She was alive and doing well, or so they thought.

"It's getting late Ben, I say we go to sleep and then after breakfast we can go back to the bank and you can see Laura for yourself." Max said as he undressed and grabbed a pillow from the bed, placing it on the couch. He laid down and almost instantly fell asleep.

Ben followed Max's suggestion and was asleep before his head hit the pillow. The alarm sounded on Ben's cell phone at seven o'clock the next morning. After a room service breakfast both men took turns getting dressed in the bathroom. Ben grabbed his keys and Max followed him to his car and they drove non-stop to the bank in Ft. Lauderdale.

They arrived a bit too early and had to wait in the car for the doors to open, but as soon as they did Ben and Max were the first one's inside. Max went to the window as Ben searched for Laura. Neither of them saw her so Max asked the only woman he saw behind the thick safety glass. "Excuse me ma'am can you tell me what time Laura is scheduled in today?"

The woman started to speak, but Max could hardly make out her words as he placed a finger to his ear as a sign he couldn't hear her. She called for the manager to come out and answer Max's questions. "I hear you are looking for Laura?" the manager asked.

Ben, eager to see her shouted, "Yes!"

The manager's facial expression changed when she began speaking again, "I'm sorry gentlemen, Laura has been transferred to one of our branches in Michigan."

"Can you tell me which branch?" Ben asked, getting impatient toward the manager.

"I'm sorry sir, that's all I know." The manager said as she walked to the door to show Ben and Max out.

Ben walked out of the doors and immediately dropped to his knees, his hands covered his face and he screamed, "No, no, no! I can't lose her again!"

Max helped Ben to his feet and tried to comfort him, "She's not lost. I bet you a million dollars her doctor knows where she's at." Max stated as he helped Ben to the car.

When Ben regained his composure, he handed Max his cell phone and asked him to call Dr. Stone to inquire about Laura's destination. Max called and talked to the doctor briefly then closed the phone. "Doc Stone sends his apologies for neglectin' to call you, but hey, that manager gal was right. Laura and her nurse are headed to Metro Airport and she has a job at the bank in Bloomfield Hills starting next Monday. I bet if we hurry we can get tickets and meet them at the airport though. You up for it Ben?" Max finished as he lit a cigarette.

Ben grabbed the phone from Max and called the hotel. "Hello, yes you can help me. This is Mr. Whitfield in room 608. Due to circumstances beyond my control I will not be returning to the hotel to personally check out. I will mail the key card when I arrive back home. You have my credit card information on file so charge my room to that. Before I go I need you to have housekeeping box up the clothes and personal things I left in the room and mail them to the address of my card." Ben said professionally in his lawyer tone of voice. Before he ended the call he told the clerk there would be a huge tip in it for him if nothing was missing when the package arrived back in Michigan.

The desk clerk seemed confused about the package and then Ben clarified the instructions, "have housekeeping get everything that doesn't belong to the hotel and put it in a big box. Put my address on the outside of the box and then call the post office and tell them you have a package pick up. When the driver gets there hand him my credit card information and the package, along with my cell phone number in case he has any questions." Ben paused to catch his breath then continued. "That's it, there's nothing to it." Ben ended the call when he closed his phone.

Ben arrived at the airport and sent Max in to get the tickets for their flight as he returned the rental car. Ben met Max at the Northwest terminal and Max handed him his ticket.

"Oh man," Ben said with disappointment in his voice. "Didn't they have a non-stop flight?"

"Well you should consider yourself lucky you got on this flight. The couple behind me had to wait for the next one, four hours from now." Max stated, slightly irritated with Ben, but understanding.

They walked to the seating area and waited patiently for the boarding call. Neither of them saw Laura. Ben thought to himself, "Perhaps they are on another airline." He stood and began looking through the crowd in hopes of seeing her. Unfortunately for him the flight attendant announced it was time to board the plane.

Max followed Ben onto the plane. When Ben found their seats he let Max sit beside the window, as he took the aisle seat and before the seat belt sign went on he fastened his securely. He tilted his seat back and closed his eyes as the plane took off down the runway.

^^^

Emma woke Laura bright and early. "Good morning sunshine!" Emma said as she pulled the covers off the bed Laura slept in. "Breakfast is on the table and the cab driver will be here within the hour, so get a move on young lady," Emma added as she walked out of Laura's room and back in to her own to finish getting dressed.

The time between Laura waking up and hearing the cab driver sound his horn seemed to fly right by as she rushed to grab a couple bites of food. Emma picked up her car keys and headed outside to open her trunk so the cab driver could transfer the boxes from her car into the trunk of the cab. "I'll be right back," she said as she turned to head back into the house to get her luggage and took it back out to the cab. "We need these in there as well," she said and once again headed back inside.

"Hurry it up or we're going to miss our flight!" Emma shouted to Laura who was now in the bathroom fixing her hair.

When Laura heard the words 'miss our flight' another vision appeared and Laura fell to the floor trembling. Emma walked through the house to see what was taking Laura so long and when she got to the bathroom door she found Laura lying on the floor, tears streaming down her face.

"Another vision, dear?" Emma asked as she helped Laura to her feet.

"Yes and it was so real," Laura said as she walked back to the couch, still trembling, but continued. "I was at an airport and I missed my flight and had to take a different one."

Emma looked at Laura concerned as she continued again, "I know it's no big deal to take a different flight, but I just can't shake this feeling I have. Let's just go now and maybe I can shake it as we drive."

Emma once again helped Laura to her feet as they grabbed their purses and walked out the house. Emma motioned for the cab driver to come to the porch and assist Laura to the cab while she locked up her house.

The drive to the airport was uneventful and the vision that had Laura so concerned seemed to fade as Emma talked about other things. Before either of them knew it the cab driver had pulled into the unloading area and exited the cab.

Both girls were startled when they heard the driver's door close. Emma opened the door for her and Laura to get out as the cab driver unloaded all their things onto a luggage cart. He told Emma the total cost for their ride and she handed him the money, telling him to keep the change.

When the driver opened the folded bills and began to count them he looked stunned with the amount in his hand, but graciously accepted it and wished Emma and Laura a safe trip. He waited until the women were safely inside the airport before he pulled away.

Laura and Emma walked quickly as they pulled the luggage cart behind them. They both laughed out loud occasionally when one or the other would pull the cart a little too hard her way, causing the other to lose her balance and the cart to wobble.