The Key Ch. 01: Should've Known

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At first, I was relieved that we would get out of the house. But then, a wave of panic crashed into me when I realized that being in public lent more opportunities for Rick to get upset with me about who-knows-what, most of which I couldn't control. I certainly could avoid eye contact or talking with anyone, but I couldn't dictate what other people said or how they looked at me. And that was what I always seemed to get blamed for. But... maybe I could use the bar phone and call Wynne to come and pick me up.

But what did it matter? It wasn't like I had a choice. I wasn't going to argue with Rick about going and risk a reaction from him. What was the alternative, anyway? I would likely be stuck in this house with him all night. Then he would most likely want sex, and I was determined that I was never going to let that man touch me again. So, to the club, we go.

I carefully selected a dress of soft, red satin with a jewel-cut neckline. It was loosely fitted to the waist, and the full skirt was gathered and fell just below the knee. Elegant, but conservative and not a bit revealing, which is what I was looking for. I styled my hair down in waves to hide my neck. My makeup was minimal...just enough to mask the bagginess under my eyes from all my crying the night before, and a clear gloss to give my lips a little shine. Tonight, I didn't want to increase my sex appeal by matching my lipstick to my dress.

Rick was impatient again while I got ready. I had only taken twenty minutes, but it still wasn't fast enough for Rick, who was ready in five. As a result, he was already grumpy when we left the house, and therefore, I was already nervous.

When we arrived at the club, Bruce, the security guard at the door who also knew us by name, stopped us just inside the front door. He reached into his pocket and pulled out my phone, holding it out to me. My elation at having my phone back was immediately followed by dread when I tried to turn on my phone. It was dead. I think my luck had hit the bottom of the barrel. Now how was I going to call anyone and get away from Rick? The idea of him coming back to my house another night...

Inside, Rick greeted Russ and Craig at their usual spot in the lounge. The three of them took a seat on the sofa. I pulled a chair up next to them and sat down to Rick's right. I spent my time studying the floor tiles. I wasn't about to allow an opportunity to make eye contact with anyone.

While I sat there, I felt ashamed that I'd let myself get into this situation. I had become a cowering victim controlled by her abuser. I found myself in a situation I'd never thought possible. But here I was, avoiding looking around for fear of how Rick might react if someone was caught looking my way.

As the night wore on, I felt the acid bubbling in my stomach. The time to do something—anything—was slowly slipping away. I realized my nerves were shot when someone dropped a glass on the ground nearby and I nearly jumped out of my skin. I needed a moment to collect myself, so I informed Rick I was going to the ladies room.

I took my time, leaning on the sill of the pedestal sink and taking a good long look at myself in the mirror. I felt somehow disconnected from the girl staring back at me. She looked pretty, young, and innocent. I felt nothing like any of those. I may have been young by age, but certainly not by experience. And though I knew I was pretty, inside I felt dirty and disgusting. Innocent? Not anymore.

Mustering up my courage to return to Rick and the guys, I closed my eyes and took in two deep breaths of the dank air. Not exactly the refreshing breath I'd been hoping for, and none too effective at calming my nerves, either. I noticed that my hands were slightly shaking when I pushed off the sink with a sigh, my two-inch heels echoing when they clicked on the tile floor of the bathroom while I walked to the exit.

Once I had stepped out of the hallway, the stench of stale beer and body odor hit me in the face. The air was already humid and was only growing warmer from the sheer number of bodies in the establishment. I felt a wave of nausea, caused from the foulness of the air mixed with my nerves. I put the back of my hand to my mouth, and I clenched my eyes shut, reaching out for support. But instead of the nearest wall like I had been expecting, I felt fabric and hard muscles beneath it.

Flinching in surprise, my eyes sprang open, and I lost my balance, stumbling slightly. A strong hand gripped my elbow, steadying me. My gaze trailed up the white button-up dress shirt in front of me to meet a pair of dazzling green eyes. I recognized the stranger I had spilled the drink on the night before, and a wave of heat spread across my cheeks, and my heart started thudding. My arm had goosebumps, despite the warmth of his touch.

When he spoke, there was a hint of concern in his voice, "Are you alright?"

My thoughts immediately landed on Rick. I pulled my elbow from the stranger's grasp, my eyes darting wildly over the man's shoulder to scan the room. Had Rick seen this little exchange? But when my eyes landed on the sofa, it was empty. Russ and Craig were standing at a high-top table nearby, but Rick wasn't with them. I scanned the rest of the room, searching desperately for him, feeling my panic rising.

Stepping to his left, blocking my view of the crowd. Tilting his head to the side, and narrowing his eyes at me as, my handsome stranger persisted, "Are you alright? You seem—upset—on edge."

"I have to go," was all I replied. Then I hurried past him, heading back toward Russ and Craig.

I had just arrived at the high-top table when my bicep was grabbed and yanked forcefully from behind, throwing me off balance. I caught the edge of the table, stopping my fall, my body turning in the process. Only to face Rick who was gripping my arm like a vice.

"What the fuck was that?" he sniped.

I felt all the color drain from my face and my eyes bulged. My voice was caught in my throat from the fury in his eyes and the hatred dripping from his voice. All I could do was stare wide-eyed.

"I have had enough of your fucking games, Keira!" he snarled, his jaw clenched.

I was frozen, unsure of how to respond. Was there something I could say to subdue him? I doubted it.

"I saw you with him!" he spat.

An image formed in my mind of my stranger and the concern etched on his face.

Rick began to pull me away from where Russ and Craig stood with smirks on their faces. The bastards!

In that moment, I snapped, shouting back, "You are out of your fucking mind!"

I gasped, my eyes going as wide as saucers and my hand flying up to cover my treacherous mouth. The moment I'd said it, I regretted it. Why couldn't I keep my fucking mouth shut?!

Rick yanked me toward him, digging his thumb into my arm.

I shrieked in pain and tried to pull away from him, but my wail was lost under the din of loud conversation and the booming of the base from the loud music. My strength was nothing compared to his.

Still digging into my arm with one hand, he wrapped his other arm around my waist and held me tight. Bending his head down to my ear, he snarled, "We're leaving."

Panic zinged down my spine and settled in the pit of my stomach. The adrenaline must have given me a moment of super-strength because, using both hands, I pushed hard against Rick's chest. Between my force and the effects of the alcohol, it set him off balance.

He released me when he stumbled backward and fell on his ass. Russ and Craig roared with laughter until Rick shot them an angry look. Then he turned toward me from his spot on the floor. His eyes were terrifying, his mouth set in a wicked, downturned grimace. If I thought he was angry the night before...

"You're so fucking dead!" He must have barely spoken the words because I didn't hear them. But I definitely understood the movement of his lips. And then he lunged toward me, arms outstretched.

I spun on my heels and tore my way toward the front of the club, glancing behind me every few seconds to see where Rick was. He had gotten to his feet, and he, Russ, and Craig were pushing their way through the club patrons in my direction. Fear and panic drove me, and I left a wake of angry people when I banged and pushed through the masses to get to the exit. Bruce furrowed his brows at me when I ran the few paces from the edge of the crowd to the exit and burst through the door into the rain outside.

I glanced to the left, then to the right. And then I ran.

*****

A note from the author...

What happens to Keira after she passes out in the stranger's car? And just who is the handsome, green-eyed man? And what of Rick? If you are interested in being notified of when I post new stories, favorite me as an author and my stories will show up in your activity feed.

Thanks for reading.

~Mireille