The King's Consort Ch. 05

Story Info
Caitlin's 'trial'.
5.6k words
4.66
9.4k
7
1

Part 5 of the 11 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 09/05/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"How did he find out?" Caitlin sat across from him in the long car, wrapping her arms around her knees. It was a position that was becoming more difficult by the day as her belly swelled.

Kalen had rolled down the window, letting a breeze into the passenger's compartment. He leaned on the edge of the window on his elbow, keeping his eyes on the darkness outside. "I don't know." He looked stern, and she supposed it was due to the last few evenings, turbulent as they were.

Part of her wanted to curl up into his side at the thought of seeing Eamon again. Kalen was by far the better choice of the two, but she was still bothered by her own conflicted feelings. Maybe she was a contradictory creature, like he'd said. But now, with the King's decision looming over them, she couldn't help but feel they were running out of time.

The King couldn't touch her, Kalen had said as much. But if Eamon was going mad, then what was to stop him from making a rash decision? Nothing, she realized, trembling at the thought. She would accept Kalen's darker side a thousand times over before submitting to the King. "What do we do?" she asked, her voice small in the quiet space.

Kalen's eyes flickered to her, then away again. "We must see what he says, first."

"That's it?" Caitlin's nerves were making her hands quiver. She cupped them together in an attempt to still them. "We can't fight this?"

"I do not hold my father's leash. You know that."

"Yes, but-"

"Caitlin. Please. Be quiet." His words were harsher than she expected, but he gentled his tone. "I'm doing my best to figure this out. There's nothing we can do until we arrive at the capitol."

She pursed her lips together and lay her head in her folded arms, the tears refusing to come. All this over a drop of immortal blood? Eamon was using it as an excuse, she was certain. She only vaguely noticed Kalen pulled out a cell phone and punched in a number, speaking so fast and so low, she could hardly hear him. Before she knew it, he'd hung up.

His quick words still kept her silent as her face burned with irritation. It was her fate she was worried about. Hers, and the child's. Despite what he'd said, she couldn't believe their son was already a monster. She wouldn't.

But what sort of punishment would a King of vampires inflict on a pregnant human? She could only guess. During their only meeting, Kalen had implied Eamon had his 'women', and she chewed on that thought for a while, refusing to look at Kalen. At least he sat in the compartment with her, and not with the driver. It told her he likely wasn't as furious with her as he seemed, though, by the scowl on his face, she couldn't be sure.

That was when she gave up trying to figure him out. Her nerves, having gotten the better of her, made her fidget and readjust on the leather seat. The noise she made doing it compelled Kalen to look at her again. His gaze lingered on her for a moment before he spoke. "When we arrive at the capitol, I have an ally ready to receive us. He is my father's man, but he's loyal to me. My father should not be so rash as to make a move against a consort, no matter his decision. Don't let your fear overcome you, Caitlin. You'll be in a room full of my kind, and not all of them have such a strong will as I."

She met his eye, then glanced away. "Fine."

He didn't press the point. "King Eamon is growing impatient to secure his reign, but he will not threaten you in front of the council representatives. This is all just for show."

Caitlin didn't answer him, and he seemed to accept her silence. The ride went on and on, and she was getting drowsy as the predawn light lit the sky pink outside. Kalen rolled up the tinted window, to avoid the oncoming rays.

After nearly an hour of tepid silence, he spoke up. "He'll have us stay for the day, I'm certain of it. And then tonight we'll convene. Representatives for the other Kings will also be in attendance, there are six in all, including my father." He seemed to see that she was not going to answer, and glanced out at the peeking sunrise, his marred cheek facing her.

They'd both been irreparably changed by the other, he, the permanent scarring of his countenance, and she- well, she might be one of them, in the end. If King Eamon didn't interfere.

Caitlin sighed and leaned against the inner side of the car, closing her eyes. "How much longer will we be driving?"

"Another hour or so," came his response, then silence.

She nodded, shouldering into the plush seat and letting herself drift into sleep.

*

Caitlin's eyes flared open as the long car halted.

She didn't recognize the terrain outside the window, but she saw Kalen, tensed at the door. He was gazing out across a wide veranda that sheltered the car from the early morning rays. Palm trees and bright foliage overcame the sprawling estate. It was nothing like Kalen's mansion, which was compact compared to this wide display of power. Every accent was a slate black or polished silver; there seemed to be no room for color.

She followed his gaze and saw a massive figure in the grand entrance, looking out at them with a pointed expression. Eamon. Her skin crawled as she recognized the figure, even as sleep still weighed on her conscious mind. She would never be at ease here, under the King's roof.

Kalen's gaze didn't leave his father as he opened the door. "Stay here, Caitlin. I must have a word with him, first." He shut the door behind himself, and she watched out the sidecar window. Kalen stood between the car and his father, but the man's massive body was in no way concealed by Kalen's narrow form. Eamon stroked his heavy red beard, and his gaze flickered up to her.

He smiled, and she could swear he knew she was watching, despite the one-way windows. Kalen turned briefly, then stole his father's attention again, speaking low. Kalen was tense, while Eamon looked relaxed. In another life, he might have been an endearing, boisterous grandfather, the way his eyes twinkled.

But he was nothing of the sort.

Eamon said something to Kalen, and Kalen tensed again. The King only laughed, clapping his son on the back and waving at the driver, who got out and rounded the car.

Sometimes, she still thought Micah would open the door for her. But when a balding stranger did instead, she cringed. "Ma'am?" The human's blank face didn't betray any emotion as he offered a hand.

Caitlin took it, eyeing the standoff between father and son. Alone, she walked to Kalen's side, remaining a little behind his tall frame.

"Daughter-in-law." Eamon smiled wide and opened his arms as if to welcome her, his strong accent indicating a British descent, with a slight tinge of Irish. She did not move from the spot, watching as he let his arms rest at his sides again. "I'm so glad you accepted my invitation. It seems as if the pregnancy has taken, then?"

Kalen's stance widened, so he concealed her at his side. "There was no need for you to greet us personally, father. I am certain one of your vassals would have done the job just fine."

"Oh, but it's not every day I get the pleasure of seeing this little forest nymph." Eamon's black eyes shone as he glanced down at Caitlin, pinning her to the spot. "Have you cultured her, my son? Or spoiled her?"

"If you insist on having us, I would prefer to speak with you further inside. Caitlin is exhausted from our journey and she needs to rest." Kalen splayed out a hand to the doorway, which the King was blocking with his bulk. "This is no way to receive your guests."

"Guests, is it?" One of Eamon's thick eyebrows rose. "You're lucky I don't throw you both in a holding cell, after what I've heard." But he seemed to consider the request, eyeing them with equal scrutiny. "But you are right, my son. The sun is no friend of ours, is it?" His smile returned. "Come, get yourself settled. I'll have the staff prepare something to eat for your little consort."

She bowed her head as they entered, allowing Kalen to guide her with a hand on her back. Caitlin felt the tension rise as they entered, and several tall, muscled, and masked guards stood to each side of the door. Eamon snapped his fingers. "Take Caitlin to a room in the East wing. I wish to speak with the prince further in the grand hall."

The biggest guard stepped forward, his vampiric energy clear for her to see. His face, though, was covered with a steel mask, and she couldn't see the eyes behind what looked like black silk. Several other guards were in attendance, lining the walls of the entrance. They all had the same, strict black getup with silver masks.

Kalen released her with a troubled look. "I'll be back shortly, Caitlin." He looked as if he wished to say more, but turned to his father instead. They strode up the stairs, leaving her alone with the guard in a wide-open foyer. In the center was a massive staircase that led to an upstairs level, where Kalen and his father had gone, but the guard pointed to one of the side doors, not saying a word.

Caitlin didn't trust this new figure at first. He was huge, thick in the chest and taller than Kalen or even Eamon. But something about him made her relax a little, as he kept his distance and held the door patiently.

She was escorted to a sprawling suite with a fireplace and modern accessories such as a phone and a television. The guard stood in the doorway, simply watching her.

"Thank you." She could hardly meet the eyes she couldn't see behind the mask, but he didn't look as if he was going to go anywhere. Caitlin sat in a high-backed plush chair and pulled off the suede shoes she'd worn with her simple outfit, her gaze flicking back to the guard. "You can go now."

He looked as if he meant to stay there forever, watching her. But then, he gave the slightest inclination of his head and left, closing the door behind himself. An uneasy feeling came over her, but she couldn't place it.

She chalked it up to being in a strange place, surrounded by strange people. No, not people, she reminded herself, standing and eyeing the large bed, fitted with a woman's sensibilities. At least it wasn't unpleasant, she thought, sitting on the comforter and running her hands over the cold blanket. Exhaustion crept up on her again, overpowering her caution and she lay down. "Just for a bit," she said to no one, putting her arms behind her head. But, before she knew it, she was asleep.

*

When Caitlin woke, she was alone. She'd searched the entire room, but found no sign of Kalen's return, even though it was already growing dark outside the wide window that overlooked a neglected courtyard. Someone had brought her a light meal, covered by a tray and set on a small breakfast table. With one glance, she determined she wasn't going to eat the food here, and only sipped at the lemon water while she waited.

Outside the door sat a dark presence that she recognized as the guard that had escorted her that morning. She could feel it through the thick door, the physical plane no challenge to her heightened senses. Unfortunately, she couldn't pin Kalen's energy, or Eamon's, though she barely had the opportunity to gauge his energy signature from the brief encounter in the daylight. He might have also been masking his energy, as Kalen sometimes did.

Further out, she felt more of them, especially down in the lower levels of the building. Caitlin had only seen the grand foyer and this room, but she had a feeling this place was much larger than it looked, even from the outside.

By the time the door opened, she was pacing in front of the cold fireplace. She turned on her heel, and saw Kalen's tall frame, leaning against the doorway and looking exhausted.

Caitlin ran to him without reservation, throwing her arms around him. "Where were you?" she whispered, squeezing her eyes shut.

He wrapped his arms around her and rested his chin on her head, cradling her head. "I'm sorry. I did check on you earlier, but you were sound asleep."

She felt the presence of the guard but didn't acknowledge them. "I've been so worried. Between Eamon's summon and this... place, I can't settle down. What's going to happen?"

"My father assured me it's more a formality, as I thought. The council is already convening downstairs, and once we get underway, it should be swift. You are a consort, after all, and among our kind, you are one of the most cherished humans. The council will appeal for your freedom, and my father will grant their request." Kalen looked down at her with soft eyes. "There is nothing to fear, Caitlin."

Some of the anticipation wore off and relief seeped in. "Can we be home by morning?"

He chased a hand through her auburn locks, tilting her head up for a kiss by the chin. Kalen planted a gentle peck on her lips before continuing. "That is my hope. Then we can carry on with you being cross with me." His smile was fleeting.

Caitlin shot him an irritated look, then rested her head on his chest. "Oh, shut up."

Kalen chuckled, rubbing her back as they simply stood there, appreciating the warmth of each other. He took a breath and righted himself, stroking down her spine. "They're nearly ready for us. We should be on our way."

She swallowed hard and nodded. "Will you stay with me?"

"Always." But he didn't look at her, turning to the guard outside of the room. "Show us to the council chamber, if you would be so kind."

The masked man gave a silent nod, walking towards the foyer and leading them out. Stairs she hadn't noticed before led beneath the grand staircase and down, into the depth of the mansion. Everything here seemed oversized to Caitlin, more so than Kalen's own home. Maybe it was due to Eamon's girth, but she doubted it. Everything was just... bigger here.

Their guard did not have to duck through the doors, though he might have anywhere else. She watched the slow lope of his body as they followed, holding tight to Kalen's arm. There was something familiar about the guard's gait, but she couldn't quite place it. Maybe it reminded her a little of another big lug she knew, before he'd been shot to death by Gabriel in front of her.

She shook off the memory and watched her footing, attempting to mimic the grace of Amandine's slow, intentional stride. Caitlin paled in comparison, she knew, but she did her best anyway.

The hallway in the basement was darker than the upstairs. Small electric lights hummed on either side of the walls, basking them in an eerie glow which did nothing to ease her mounting apprehension. She glanced up to Kalen as the guard opened a door for them.

Kalen nodded. "It's alright."

Caitlin didn't believe it, her nerves making her quiver already. But she let him lead her through to a round antechamber, opening up into a dark room with black stone walls; the veil threatened to pierce through, here, becoming nearly visible to the eye.

Around a circular bench sat a row of vampires, all unusually silent. They watched her enter with pointed expressions, appearing curious, fascinated, bored, and one even mildly hungry.

Her steps faltered as she pushed into Kalen's side, who wrapped an arm around her protectively. It will be over quickly, she reassured herself silently, taking in the assembled vampires. They were all of various tones and sizes. Most were men, but there were two women who sat among them, giving her more compassionate glances than the others.

One woman in particular, with rich brown skin and sharp emerald eyes, watched from the last seat on the rounded bench. She was dressed in a gold threaded, maroon sari with a circlet of gold leaf around her crown, set atop her long black hair. The vampire sat next to a portlier male who paid Caitlin little mind, as if she wasn't the star attraction at the King's hearing. He was dressed in silver and blue studded velvets, with a cropped white beard.

The other woman wore a strict black dress with lace that crawled up her neck and accentuated her pale, pale skin and bright blue eyes. One man, who sat beside a rather large and empty chair, looked down his long nose at her with disgust, dressed in a simple black and red jerkin. She didn't know what she'd done to earn his ire, but she was ready to leave.

Kalen escorted her to the center of the circle, where they could all look at her without straining. Eamon was nowhere in sight, and she figured the largest seat was his.

The guard that had escorted them rounded the table and stood behind the council members, against the wall where other faceless guards stood. He took his place among them and ceased moving, as if he were merely a statue. But she still felt the energy coming off him, and knew he was there, watching everything.

That did not ease her mind in any way. With nearly two dozen eyes on her and so close to the veil, she could hardly breathe in this place.

There was no seat for her or Kalen, but she didn't expect the simple comforts. Caitlin was on trial, after all. And all she could do was remain by his side and wait for the King.

They didn't have to wait long as a set of concealed elevator doors behind the main seat slid open, and Eamon stepped out. His smile widened as he took in the assembly, but mostly Caitlin. "And here we are again! So good of you to join us, Caitlin Stone." He took his seat, reclining back casually. His eyes never left her as he snapped his fingers. "One of you bloody idiots get me something to drink?"

A guard, not their own, left through a small wooden door she'd overlooked in the corner. He returned shortly with a quivering young woman in a tattered rag that didn't reach her knees, glancing around the room fearfully. Caitlin's heart dropped as Kalen tensed around her.

"Sit with me, pretty thing." Eamon extended his hand to the woman. Her eyes zeroed in on him and she accepted the hand warily. He did not hesitate to drag her to his lap, turning her so she faced the two of them. He pressed the girl's rump against his crotch, feeling her up. His fat thumb lingered at the small of the girl's neck, making her teeth rattle and her eyes flare, though she didn't cry out.

Caitlin moved to protest, but Kalen gripped her shoulder tightly.

If the council had anything to say on the King's actions, they did not voice it. In fact, they looked unaffected at all, with the exception of slight amusement at her expense.

He raked a hand through the girl's hair and pulled her head to the side, exposing her neck. The girl whimpered as his lips brushed along her skin. He stared at Caitlin as he did so, but did not close his mouth over the vein. Eamon was taunting her, she realized, with the life of another human. He kept his gaze steady on her as he dropped his hand to the young woman's crotch, concealed beneath the bench. She let out a moan as he did so, bucking against his grip. "Atta girl," he murmured, teasing her earlobe with a nip from his long teeth.

A lump formed in Caitlin's throat, but she brushed off Kalen's hand. "Stop it."

"Hold your tongue, human," the council member with the long nose said. "You'll do well to keep it behind your teeth, for the sake of your child."

Caitlin felt Kalen's energy flare beside her and wished she could curl up in that darkness, if only to get away from Eamon's taunting leers. At the mention of her pregnancy, she held her stomach protectively.

Eamon only chuckled at the exchange, tightening his grip on the human. "Even here, you are defiant. I'd hoped that my son had domesticated you properly. Apparently, he's been overindulging you, instead." His mouth brushed dangerously close to the girl's neck. "And we all know how that spoils the blood." Eamon's fingers worked the girl into a feverish state, and her fear seemed to take a backseat to the release his thick fingers brought her.

12