The Knave of Jacks Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ken could avoid the Police. He could not avoid the man whose hands held his future. He'd had to answer the call from Dr. Sonnmore, and he had had to comply with the orders to meet the Campus Police at their Headquarters. Still, once there, he'd demanded a Court-appointed lawyer be present if he was to be questioned, and he was saddled with Epstein.

"My client demands to know why the Police are treating him in this fashion." said Epstein, trying to play the authority figure. It was not working; the woman in the wheelchair had more authority in her pinky finger, much less her voice.

"If you would shut your mouth and listen, Dexter," Tanya said witheringly, "then you'll find out everything you need to know. Detective Troy?"

"Thank you, Lieutenant." said Phyllis. "Your client, Mr. Epstein, is the Director in a play where actual sex was being performed between two of the actors, at least in the rehearsals. Furthermore, another cast member was attacked outside the Theater Building. We would like for Ken to simply answer a few questions."

"I want to talk to him first." said Epstein.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Thank you all for coming." said SBI Director and Democrat nominee for Governor Jack Lewis. In the room with him was SBI Deputy Director Robert Gaston, State Senators Katherine Woodburn and Jimmy 'Coffin' Cerone, and SBI NTF Director Dick Ferrell.

"Okay, so the numbers are tightening a little bit." said Lewis. "That's good, but we're still behind. Anyone have good news for me?"

"We've had an unexpected opportunity." said Ferrell. "A kid was assaulted on the University Campus last night. My sources tell me he's going to be pronounced brain-dead, and they'll go to Court on Monday morning to have the machines turned off. Chaplain Ikea's group will be ready at that time."

"Sad for that kid's family." said Cerone.

"But Jared will be shown as the gutless hypocrite he really is." replied Lewis. "But I'll say this... if it ever... ever... comes out in the Press that we're using the publicity of a brain-dead kid as a tool to destroy Jared, then my own campaign might as well be flushed down the toilet."

"Don't worry, sir." said Gaston. "Even if the Media did connect the dots between what Ikea's group is going to do and our campaign, they'll bury the story. They're solidly on your side. Even the Fox affiliates don't like Jared; they're in the tank for the Establishment Republicans, like Wilson Hammonds and Sean Stockton."

"Yeah, they sure helped Stockton once Jared got in the race, didn't they?" sneered Katherine Woodburn, and everyone knew she was being very sarcastic. "But Mr. Gaston is correct: the Media is on our side, and fully."

"Relax, everyone." said Ferrell. "This one is under control. The Campus Police are investigating that assault, not the Iron Crowbar's Police Force, which has no jurisdiction. That little CSI bitch in the wheelchair and some old woman is going around talking to people, but that won't matter when it comes to the 'Right To Life Committee' and that prick Jared. And Troy is apparently being diverted by that gambling operation trying to move into that County."

"You were working on that last night, Dick." said Gaston. "How did that go?"

"Not a damn thing going on in that warehouse the gambling gang supposedly rented." said Ferrell. "Either they got wind and called it off, or we just got a bad Buddha."

"By the way," said Katherine, "what old woman was that? The one investigating the assault on that brain-dead kid?"

"I dunno." said Ferrell. "And who cares?"

"And the Iron Crowbar is not touching that case?" Katherine asked sharply.

"No, it's out of his jurisdiction." said Ferrell. "And I warned off the Campus Police from trying to bring in the Sheriff, and therefore him."

Katherine said nothing more. Jurisdictions were not a hindrance to the Iron Crowbar. If he wanted to be investigating this case, he'd find a way to do it. For him to not be interested meant one of two things: Commander Troy had something more important on his mind, perhaps that gambling ring; -or- he had someone investigating on his behalf. And while Katherine knew Ferrell was too stupid to make the connection, she (Katherine) was not. And Katherine realized that the Iron Crowbar had inherited his powers.

God help us if the Iron Crowbar's mother is the one prowling around on this case! Katherine thought to herself...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"My client will agree to answer your questions," said Epstein, "but he reserves the right to invoke at any time, and I will stop the interview at any time I deem it necessary, as well."

Tanya tried hard not to laugh, but said "I agree to those terms. I am still going to read your client his rights." She did so from the card. Ken said he understood the rights.

"So what happened last night?" Phyllis asked.

"Be more specific in your questions." said Epstein. Phyllis realized that this was a way to get her and Tanya to reveal what they knew already. Was it possible this snit Epstein was actually getting good?

"Okay." said Phyllis. "You, Ken, are directing a play called 'The Knave', is that correct?"

"Yes." said Ken.

"And Jeremy, Stella, Carl, Adam, and Pam are the cast?"

"The main characters, yes." said Ken. "I make a small appearance at the beginning."

"Yes, I've been reading the script, which I obtained from Jeremy's personal effects." said Phyllis. "It gets a bit steamy in a few places, doesn't it?"

"It's a romance, a seduction play." said Ken.

"Is there sex in the play?" asked Phyllis, getting right to the point.

"Like I said, there's a seduction scene and a love scene." said Ken. "It's under the covers, and we can't see anything, of course."

"Are the actors having sex, Ken?" asked Phyllis. "Actual penetration?"

"That calls for speculation." said Epstein. "Don't answer that."

No, Epstein wasn't getting good, Phyllis thought, trying hard not to laugh out loud. Moving on, she asked "When Jeremy came into the theater, he made a scene, pun not intended, and was shouting at the others, was he not?" she asked.

"Yes." said Ken, not helping by elaborating.

"Why was he angry?" asked Tanya.

"Carl and Stella, who is Jeremy's real-life fiancée, were practicing the love scene." said Ken. "Jeremy somehow got in, even though the doors were locked, and he got pissed about it."

"Did he run out of the theater?" asked Phyllis.

"Yes." said Ken.

"Did you go after him?"

"I ran after him," said Ken, "I wanted to calm him down. But he was gone, and I couldn't let the door close behind me, or it would've locked."

"The other people there could've let you back in, right?" asked Phyllis.

"Yeah, I guess." said Ken, as if the thought had never occurred to him.

"So what did you do afterwards?" asked Phyllis.

"We all decided to meet for a drink then go home for the night." said Ken. "I went back to my dorm room to get some money, then went to find the others, but never did. So I went home and got some sleep."

"Did you try to call Jeremy at any point in time after he ran out?"

"No." said Ken. "He didn't have his cellphone. I tried calling Stella, but she didn't answer, nor did Carl. I figured they went home together."

"So you were alone during that time?" asked Tanya.

"Yeah." said Ken. "But I'm sure people at the Tavern saw me come in when I was looking for the others."

"Ken," Phyllis said, knowing it was the right time, "were Carl and Stella having sexual intercourse during the rehearsal last night."

Ken's eyes got wary and he said "I don't think I'm going to answer that."

"If it came out that publicly that there was live sex in that play, it would hurt you badly, wouldn't it, Ken?" Phyllis said, pressing. "Your grade and graduation depend on this play, is that not true?"

"No, I'm going to graduate anyway." said Ken. "And like I said before, no one can see what is going on under the covers. It's just simulated sex."

"All right, young man." said Phyllis. "Let me be clear on this. Jeremy was not just assaulted last night. He has been determined by the doctors to be brain-dead. You are a person of interest in what will be his murder. You should not leave the County without notifying the Campus Police or the Town & County Police first, is that clear?"

"Is my client under arrest?" said Epstein, trying to add hostility to his voice.

"That can be arranged." said Tanya. "Is that how you want it to be, Ken?"

"No." said Ken. "I heard you."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I was sitting in my office, going over Teresa's plans for the stakeout tonight, when there was a knock on my door. I looked up to see the lovely Mary Mahoney Milton come in, wearing her leather Goth gear, followed by her lucky husband Myron.

"Do you have a minute, sir?" Mary asked.

"You guys don't need to be here until tonight." I said. "But sure, have a seat. Whassup?"

"We've got that information on that political action committee you requested." said Mary.

"Ahhhh." I said. "You guys are too good for your own good. I appreciate the speed, but this could've waited until Monday.... but that's not a complaint. So, whaddya got?"

Mary started: "The 'State Right to Life Committee' was formed just recently. Chaplain Steven Ikea is listed in the registration papers with the State as the leader of the group. Here are the names of the 22 main registrants." She handed me the paper and I scanned it. Fourteen of the people were pastors of churches around the State. The rest were known anti-abortionists from other political entities, the most prominent being State Senator Sean Stockton.

"Interesting." I said. "What else?"

"Only that some of the contributions to this PAC have come through laundered sources." Myron said. "One of them tracing back to one Richard Ferrell's Narcotics Task Force."

"Are you kidding me?" I almost shouted. "Ferrell?"

"Before you get excited, sir," said Myron, "what we did exceeded the bounds of the law. We know the truth, but it's not actionable."

"Why is that?" I asked.

"No probable cause to have looked in the first place, sir." said Myron. "And it wasn't for lack of trying. I did everything I could to attach any of this back to the Westboro Syndicate, just to say we were following those lines and stumbled onto this. But it was 'no joy' on that."

"Okayyyyy...." I said, actually appreciative that Myron was meticulously following legal protocols. "At least knowing this information is good. In the meantime, get ready to have fun with all the cool technology tonight." That got big smiles out of the Mighty Miltons...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Back in Tanya's office at the State Crime Lab, she and Phyllis went over what they had so far, including assembled video evidence.

"The Crime Lab is doing a very good job." said Phyllis. "They must have an excellent leader training them."

"I merely passed on what I learned from God's Gift to the CSI World, your son." Tanya replied right back. "So I see in this tape that Jerry went into the Journalism building, came out with a young man who is noted as the editor of The Silver Sentinel, the University newspaper, one Brett Snow. They went back towards the Journalism Building, and then Mr. Snow is returning to the building alone a good amount of time later."

"I've asked the Campus Police to find Brett Snow and bring him in for a philosophical discussion of ideas." said Lt. Perlman. "He lives off-campus, though, so they're going to have to ask the TCPD to drop in on him."

"Might I suggest you hold off on that, my friend." said Phyllis. "I think we can use other means to find Mr. Snow, who I expect will not be found at his home."

Tanya picked up the phone and called the Campus Police, and asked them to stand down on calling the TCPD to find Snow. Hanging up, she said "Okay, so what do you have in mind, Ms. Mycroft Holmes?"

"My, you are the mischievous one, aren't you... Lady Ironside?" Phyllis said right back. "I believe your answer is coming in now... why hello, Special Agent Muscone!"

Indeed, FBI Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone was just knocking on the door. He came on inside, and Phyllis did not fail to notice his beady little black eyes light up when he saw Tanya... and her eyes light up even more than normal, as well.

"The NSA forced your victim Jeremy's cellphone to ping." said Muscone. "It appears to be inside the Theater Building, but the signal is very weak. They would not have caught it if they were not looking for it."

"Well, let's go over there, shall we?" said Phyllis. "But we'll have to get someone to let us in."

"I've got that covered." said Tanya, wheeling out with blazing speed.

"The Flash has nothing on her when she puts that thing into overdrive." Muscone whispered to Phyllis as they hurried to catch up with Tanya...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At the Theater Building, Tanya handed Phyllis a key, which opened the door.

"Ah, you have a master key." said Phyllis. "Did that come with the job?"

"Oh heck no." said Tanya, who broke into a cherubic grin as she said "Your son took one from the Campus Police when he worked with them, and made an unauthorized duplicate. He gave it to me when I took this job."

"No wonder he gets the results he does." said Jack. "More evidence for his Salem Witch Trial." Even as he spoke, Phyllis had unlocked the door and darted inside, using her iPhone light to guide her way down the stairs. Jack followed, while Tanya stood guard at the door.

After about ten minutes, Phyllis was back. She was wearing latex gloves, and had secured a cellphone in an evidence bag. "I suppose we should have videotaped that, but Agent Muscone will make an excellent witness at the trial." She turned on the cellphone, and tried a four-digit code. The cellphone opened.

"Good grief, on the first try!" exclaimed Muscone. "How did you do that, Phyllis?" Phyllis looked at Tanya.

"Ahhhh, Jeremy's been 'SHER-locked'." Tanya said.

"More like 'STEL-LA-locked'." replied Phyllis. "Ah yes, there's video here." They watched, seeing the recorded sex scene. The video clearly showed Carl's large cock sliding in and out of Stella's clinging cunt, and the audio captured his grunts and her moans of pleasure as they hotly copulated.

"Well, there's the proof that sex took place." said Tanya. "What now?"

"I believe we can take a page from our friend Chief Griswold," said Phyllis, "and use this as bait to catch a fish... a big fish..."

Part 11 - Beauty and the Night

"And now, to protect the rights and lives of decent citizens, rides the Green Hornet."

------Intro, 'The Green Hornet' television program, circa 1966.

"Bye, Daddy! Bye, Cin-dee!" exclaimed my daughter Carole as she hugged me goodbye. We were at the Cabin, and Laura and Molly were keeping all of my children. Molly hugged Cindy goodbye, then Carole did the same before Cindy handed Carole to Molly.

"Bye, Carole." I said. "You be a good girl, okay? Help your mommy and Molly take care of your brothers."

"And Bowser and Bud-dy, too." said Carole, as if on cue, cutting her little eyes towards her mother. That girl was going to bear watching as she grew up, I thought, knowing full well that Cindy and Molly's dad, and the fathers of daughters all over the world, had thought the same thing at some point...

Cindy and I went out the door to the far-side garage. We were wearing civilian clothes with armor vests underneath (and me with the 'Iron Girdle', as well); Cindy was in all black, and I was in all black but for my khaki-colored trenchcoat and khaki-colored Tilley hat.

Cindy took the wheel of the Black Beauty as I went to the other side and got in. "Atomic power to battery." I said, in what was becoming a ritual. "Turbine to speed."

"Roger, ready to move out." replied Cindy. With that, my 'Kato' gunned the engine and the car came out of the garage. Cindy was already going way too fast for the small mountain driveway, and when she took the hairpin turn left onto the road to go around the mountain, I was hanging on for dear life.

The sun had just set, and it was getting dark. It wouldn't be too long before we put the wheels in motion for Callie and Eddy to go to the casino party. As Cindy roared down the mountain's other side, towards Ian McGhillie's golf course and Reservoir Road, the police radio crackled, saying that the play director Ken, who was being watched, was on the move.

"Be advised he is moving towards Nextdoor County." said the radio. I got out a rotating blue light that would clamp to the top of the car, rolled down the window, and clamped it onto the roof of the car above my head. A second such light was handed to Cindy, who put it on the roof above her head. I plugged the two lights into a dual socket, and that was plugged into the cigarette lighter (yes, this old car has one).

"Let's go get him." I said. That was all Cindy needed, and we were suddenly moving at breakneck speed.

It was our luck that Ken was passing in his car just as we got to Jefferson Avenue, which would become Nextdoor County Highway. We pulled in right behind him, blue lights flashing. I hit the button for the concealed siren.

*WOOP WOOP!* *WOOP WOOP!*

"He ain't stopping." I said.

"He's not speeding up, either." replied Cindy. "He thinks he can pretend we're not police, and can keep going into Nextdoor County."

That didn't work. A TCPD cruiser blasted past us and behind Ken's car. Another one burst ahead to cut him off, forcing him to pull over.

"Let's wait for these guys to get him out of the car." I said quietly. We watched as Sergeant Rudistan and Sr. Patrolman Morton approached the car. Sr. Patrolman Hicks and Patrolman Johnson were in the car that had cut off Ken.

Once Ken had been ordered out of the car, Rudistan was less than jovial when he said "Why didn't you stop for that car that was pulling you over. You can't see the blue lights on it?"

"That doesn't look like one of your patrol cars." said Ken. "I thought it was some bad guy trying to pull me over and rob me."

"Okay," I said, "cue the Iron Crowbar in 5... 4... 3... 2..." I opened the car and got out, Cindy waiting until I was ahead before she followed suit.

Ken looked over and saw the tall, broad-shouldered man in the full-brim Tilley Hat and trenchcoat coming up, a red crowbar tapping in his hand, a look of stone on his face. Ken tried hard to not be scared, but willing down fear is not easy when one is a target for a crowbar beatdown.

"Soooo," I said, lowering my voice to a growling whisper, "what do we have here, Sergeant?"

"This man is a person of interest in the murderous attack upon that college student, sir." said Rudistan. "He was told to stay in the County, but apparently he did not listen."

"Is that right?" I said quietly, my eyes burning into Ken's. "So, boy, what do you have to say for yourself? Why are you trying to run away from my County?"

"I want my lawyer." said Ken. "I won't answer any questions without a lawyer present."

"I can't blame you for that." I said. I then got closer to him, towering over him menacingly. "But let me make sure you understand something, boy. It irritates me when murder suspects try to run away from my jurisdiction. I do catch them, and if I catch you trying to run again, it will hurt.... it will hurt..."

Backing off, I said "Sergeant, take this piece of crap to 2nd Precinct, run him through full booking, put him in a cell, then call the Campus Police and ask if they want him, or if he'll remain our guest tonight and we'll bring him over tomorrow."

"Yes sir." said Rudistan. I headed back to the Black Beauty as Ken was stuffed, handcuffed, into the back of Rudistan's TCPD cruiser.