The Lady and the Cowboy Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MissKris14
MissKris14
579 Followers

"Do you know one of the things I love about you most of all, Kira?" he whispered in my ear after we were spent, lying there with our limbs entangled.

"Hmm?" I lay there perfectly content and bathed in the glow of his words.

"I love that you're mine."

Oh yes, Mr. Carson, I thought. All yours...

* * * * *

"What do you mean you're not coming home with us?" My father watched incredibly as I ran around the cabin, stuffing things into my suitcase.

"I'm not!" I squealed happily, skipping into the bedroom to sort through my clothing. "I'm going to stay here awhile, until the end of summer."

"But, Kira, honey," My mom tried to stay calm and rational so she could talk some sense into me. "You have a whole month and a half before school starts..."

"And I'm going to spend it here on this ranch, and there's nothing anyone can say to talk me out of it."

"To hell there isn't!" My dad's voice suddenly got about ten times louder. "You've only known the man a couple of weeks! You can't just shack up with some cowboy that you happen to fancy!"

"Oh yes I can!" I laughed. "And he's not just some cowboy, he's mine. My cowboy..." I sighed. It was almost sickening how happy I was, but my parents were still putting up a fight for this lost cause.

"I think it's positively romantic," Lucy said dreamily, earning her a stern look.

"Kira, you need to stop and think about what you're doing," my dad yelled to me.

"Already thought about it!" I called from the bathroom. It was true. I had thought about it for two whole seconds after Tripp asked me to stay with him, which was one second more than I needed.

"We can't let her do this." I heard my father talking to the others.

"Well..." my mom was hesitant. "What do we do? I think she loves him. Look how happy she is."

"It's been two weeks! She doesn't know what love is," my dad said cynically.

"I do love him," I walked into the room with a smile on my face. "And I am happy, so don't worry."

"Don't worry...sure, honey, we won't worry. We're only leaving you on a cow farm in the middle of nowhere, a thousand miles away from your home with some man who you just met. What's there to worry about?" My father's sarcasm could cut through ice. "Kira, you're throwing your life away."

"Throwing my life away? It's only for the rest of the summer! It's not as if I'm dropping out of college," I said exasperatedly.

"Kira, you've always been so rational..." My mother was still hesitant as well.

"Well maybe that's the problem. Maybe it's time that I start being a bit irrational," I answered.

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?" she asked me gently. She wasn't worried, or mad, or even sad as she said it. Just cautious, as if she understood how I felt, but at the same time wanted what was best for me.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I have to trust it." My face was glowing.

"I think you should let her stay." The family, all gathered in the living room of the cabin now, turned in astonishment to Luke, who stood with his arms crossed in the doorway to the bedroom. He smiled at me before saying, "She's not a kid anymore."

I was perhaps the most astonished of all. The room was silent for a moment before a humongous grin spread across my face. Quickly, I crossed the room to give my brother a hug. No other gestures were needed to express my feelings, but he whispered in my ear as I reached for him. "I'm so sorry, Kira..."

"Don't." I said firmly. "I'm incredibly happy at this moment, so don't ruin it by reminding me why I should be mad at you," I told him lightly, breaking away from the hug. I then turned to everyone else before saying, "Well...I think that settles it. I'll be back tomorrow morning to get my suitcase and to see you all off!"

And with that...as everyone except Luke, who was still smiling, gaped at me, I ran out the door and started making my way across the ranch. The rain had stopped, and the sky was clear now...imagine that.

The Lodge was busy and bustling as usual, but there was only one person I wanted to see. After scanning the room though, I couldn't find him anywhere, but I did see Jack and June Waterman coming toward me. Mr. Waterman looked hesitant, while Mrs. Waterman had a smile floating upon her face.

"Good evening, Kira," Mr. Waterman greeted me politely.

"Good evening to you both," I smiled. "I don't suppose you would happen..."

"To know where Tripp is?" Mrs. Waterman finished my sentence, smiling tenderly. "I believe he mentioned something about getting some late-night training in with that horse..."

"Oh, thank you!" I started to turn around to head out of the building, completely oblivious to anything but my goal of finding Tripp.

"Kira..." Mrs. Waterman's voice was gentle.

I turned back. "I'm sorry," I laughed lightly. "I guess I have a lot on my mind."

Jack and June exchanged knowing glances before Mr. Waterman cleared his throat and began to speak. "Tripp has given us some...uh...some interesting news. We want you to know that we're concerned for you, and even though we disapprove of Tripp's hasty decision to..."

"You disapprove," Mrs. Waterman piped in, rolling her eyes at her husband. "Personally, Kira, I am so pleased that you came to stay with us this summer. I've never seen Tripp like this before. There's always been something missing, even when he's doing what he loves here." She turned toward Mr. Waterman. "And Jack, I trust Tripp. He might be a bit impetuous, but you know Kira is in good hands."

"Well of course, I mean, Tripp is a good man, and we raised him well but..." Mr. Waterman stammered.

"What my husband is trying to say is that we're both here for you if you ever need anything."

A warm smile lit up my face upon hearing her words. "Thank you both so much. Somehow I have a feeling though that I'm going to be just fine here for awhile."

"That's the feeling I have too," Mrs. Waterman patted my arm. "Now...off you go! I know you're looking for that scamp of mine."

I nodded enthusiastically and gave Mrs. Waterman a hug before making my way to the door. The night air was cool, but I was so happy that my face was flushed and I didn't notice. As I walked out onto the porch, I looked to the stable area, and just like that first night, what I saw took my breath away.

The lights were lit in the corral, and there was a lone, black horse bucking and twisting about, sleek and majestic looking against the backdrop of the night. But it was the rider I noticed first and foremost. A strong, bare torso strained to control the beast, as hair the color of midnight blew in the evening air, damp and tousled. Hard, thickly muscled arms handled the reins with a clear expertness, and one could tell the master was enjoying the challenge. Taking a deep breath, with fantasies twirling through my mind, I began to walk over to get a better look. Perhaps I would hide behind the edge of the barn, and watch him for awhile.

* * * * *

Epilogue

That was the summer I went with my family to visit the Waterman Ranch. I arrived with doubt and cynicism, and I left, flying back to California, with more love in my heart than I could have thought possible.

Of course, while we believed we could endure a long-distance relationship, seeing each other during school breaks and long weekends, Tripp found himself renting an apartment for us in the city only a month after I left New Mexico. For the next two years, he spent half of his time at his home, among dirt and horses, and the other half in Los Angeles, conducting business for the expansion the ranch was going to undergo.

I worked my butt off finishing my degree a year early, which was no easy task, and wouldn't you know it, there happened to be an opening for a finance manager at the Waterman Ranch when I was done. Tripp was in charge of hiring for the position, and one early summer afternoon, we sat in his office on the second floor of the Lodge while he thumbed through my resume, pretending to consider my qualifications. I soon found out the job came with one very important requirement. Before he gave me the position, Tripp slipped a diamond ring onto my finger.

The sun began to set on a beautiful autumn evening, and the sound of the harp was gently accompanied by the sound of horses in the distance. There was one that Tripp was particularly fond of -- a brown filly with a white spot on her head. He had named her, "California," and as we said our vows on the small hilltop overlooking the pastures of the ranch, she ran with the strength of a thousand horses.

The End

*

Author Note: I truly appreciate the time everyone has taken to read my first story. Your wonderful feedback and encouragement has meant the world to me! I cannot express my gratitude enough! Thank you all!

MissKris14
MissKris14
579 Followers