The Last 24 Hours: Epilogue

Story Info
The aftereffects.
1.6k words
4.73
46.4k
31
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Epilogue

September 28, 2005

We left for real today. Beth looks as beautiful as I had ever seen her. I wanted to get married right away. I made the mistake of saying as much to Beth's mother when we told her of our engagement. I was informed that my continued survival depended on amending that position. Much to my dismay I discovered that even with all of my money a proper wedding simply could not be planned and executed in less than six months. Or so I was informed by Angelina Taylor. Beth told her to plan the basics and we would confirm or reject plans when we returned from our trip.

Oh yes, Beth and I did take our vacation. My partners wished me luck and said that they were happy to let me have the time away. I found out that they had been afraid I would suicide when Lisa pulled her stunt and were sure they were going to lose a partner and friend. They were ecstatic that Beth and I had found each other. We took the RV and disappeared for nearly two months. We visited most of the mountain parks and even went and visited Niagara Falls. We crisscrossed the country in no particular hurry. We took our time and enjoyed just being together and in love. We took skiing lessons in Vail Colorado, and went horseback riding into the Oxbow Mountains. We would have been gone longer but Josh sent for us. In early November the trials had begun and we were needed for testimony.

Six Months Later...

May 20th 2006

Spring had arrived and the meadow was decked out the luscious yellows, pinks, and vibrant blues of the season. Wildflowers were in bloom and the 73 degree temperature was warm enough that the people milling about were cool but not uncomfortably so. To one side of the meadow a wrought iron fence surrounded the two graves within with a quiet dignity inside the small private cemetery.

"Lisa signed custody of the twins over to Bob and Muriel this week, Grams. Her therapist thinks that taking care of them will be beyond her capabilities for some time to come. At least that's what was in Lisa's letter to them. Jacquie and her pet shyster were sentenced yesterday. She'll be an old woman before, or even if, she ever sees daylight again. She got 26 years and that's just for what she did to me. She still has the conspiracy to commit murder charges to contend with."

I gave a sad, heavy sigh, "I wish you had met Beth, Grams. I think you would have liked her and I know she'd have loved you." A sad tear trickled down my cheek. "We plan to live here with you at the lake. We want to have children and I want them to know about you. I always said I would have you at my wedding Grams. This is as close as I could get." I wiped the tear from my cheek and after a moment I turned, walked over to the groom's tent and drawing the flap aside I went inside.

I approached Josh and whispered, "I swear if they don't hurry up I'm going to grab Beth and were headed to Vegas!" Grinning wildly Josh walked over and said in a very loud voice, "It's not too late, Alex. You can still run for the hills you know." Throwing his arm over my shoulder he cocked his head and listened. I just shook my head at him.

Beth's lovely, albeit very stressed, voice came clearly from the next tent, "Alex, one more crack like that from him and I expect you to choose aliving Best Man and bury that one in the family plot after the ceremony, if you plan to consummate this marriage tonight!"

I looked at Josh and he laughed as I said, "Sorry dude! Looks like you get to keep Grams company if you don't leave your sister alone." The smile on my face took the sting from my words. Besides I would never do that to Grams and he knew it.

At that point Josh's mother, Angie, came through the flap and approached Josh. She had two other men with her. One I knew and the other I did not. Hiram Meyer walked up to me and handed me the royal blue velvet bag that contained the rings he had made for Beth and me. They were exquisite and when fitted together the stone of Beth's wedding band became the center of the rose in mine. Separately they were beautiful. Together they were the work of art Hiram's father envisioned and his son had made live.

I asked, "Who's this, Hiram?" as he handed me the bag.

"This is my old and dear friend Rabbi Abram Levinson. You're mother-in-law-to-be brought him over to speak to your brother-in-law-to-be about his pendingbris mila." Hiram smiled at Josh. I was choking back the laughter I was trying to contain. Rabbi Levinson set what looked to be an old fashioned doctor's bag on the table.

Josh looked at the Rabbi suspiciously and asked, "Mybris-what?"

The Rabbi began to remove ceremonial items from the bag with reverent attention. At this point six other men entered the tent, three from the front and three from the rear, and surrounded Josh. Now, it's a big tent, but it was starting to get just a bit crowded.

The Rabbi smiled and answered him in an even tone, "Bris mila. Your mother informed us that you were not circumcised and I happen to be a qualifiedMohel, I told her I would be happy to help her rectify that oversight right away." The Rabbi's heavily accented voice was strong and clear.

Josh paled and began looking for a way to bolt, only to discover he was surrounded. The panic on his face was priceless. His mother walked over to him and said, "Leave your sister alone, understand? Anymore cracks, jokes, pranks, anything at all, and these kind men will change your name to 'stumpy' before the day is out! Beth says she and Alex will be happy to give me grandchildren so that part of your anatomy is entirely redundant to me at this point. Got it?"

I lost it. I burst out laughing so hard I was afraid I'd hyperventilate. The look of abject terror on Josh's face had to be seen to be believed. Hiram and the others joined me in my laughter. Josh gave me a dirty look and said, "Traitor!" before storming out of the tent to be followed shortly by the others.

I walked over to Beth's mother, Angelina, and said, "Thanks Angie. I was at my wits end trying to get him to back off." My expression grew worried, "How is she? Is she all right? How is she doing?"

Angie's family had a tradition that the bride and groom should not see each other for three days before the wedding. We had reluctantly agreed to honor that tradition. As a result I was going through serious Beth withdrawal. We had spent nearly every day for the last eight months together. Talking to her on the phone only whet my appetite and being this close to her and unable to hold her in my arms was the most excruciating torture I could imagine.

Angie patted my arm and in a soothing voice said, "She's fine, Alex. She's just as anxious as you are. She tried to sneak out last night and I caught her. Wait till you see her in her gown. She is absolutely gorgeous; and may I say that you are devilishly handsome, too." She adjusted my lapels. "If I were a few years younger I just might have tried to steal you from my daughter!"

Beth's outraged cry of "MOTHER!" broke us all out in laughter.

Beth's mother was a smaller, more mature version of Beth. If the saying held true Beth would never get the middle age spread that so many women complain about. Angie was trim and athletic and while she did carry a very few extra pounds they looked very good on her giving her a very sexy and voluptuous appeal. Her hair was a dark auburn and arranged in a stylish pile of curls. Beth had gotten her mothers clear blue eyes and when together they were often mistaken for sisters separated by no more than four or five years.

"Sorry Angie, I'm spoken for. Besides, Josh would have a coronary if he suddenly had to start calling me Dad." I smiled and we all broke out in fresh laughter at the imagery of it.

Hiram poked his head back in the tent and said, "Gayle, Maddi and Joyce say that everything is ready and we should get into place soon."

~~~~~

The ceremony itself was a blur to me. Beth's bridesmaids came out. Betty, Joyce, Gayle, and even Maddi looked stupendous in their pale blue sheath gowns. But I lost track of everything the minute Beth's uncle, Wayne, and she came into sight. Her gown was pristine white silk studded with seed pearls. The bodice hugged her generous curves and tapered into her trim waist. The skirt flared and fell to her ankles in flowing waves. She was again wearing the peals her grandmother and I had given her. The overall effect was to make me very happy I was male.

Beth had never looked more radiant than at that moment. We had hired a professional videographer to film our wedding and we were very pleased that he did. The look of joy on her face is one I carry with me and warms my soul.

The Last thing I remembered was the minister saying, "Dearly Beloved..."