The Legacy Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
kingkey
kingkey
363 Followers

He laughed and said, "That's okay. I need to get home to the wife, anyway. She'd kill me if I came home with beer on my breath. I haven't had a chance to tell her I was working, yet."

I went ahead and paid him for the work that he had done today, and said, "I sure appreciate what you've done so far. I'm not sure how much work there is going to be, as fast as you work, but I would have certainly been lost without your help."

"This came at just the right time. I start a big job, week after next, so every little bit you have for me sure helps."

When he left, I hopped into my pickup, and headed for the local store. I thought that besides getting a few groceries and beer for guests, it would probably be best to pick up a bottle of wine for dinner with the Wilsons. As I went by their home, I thought it might be a good idea to stop and see if they needed anything from the store. Mark said he would ride along, and Sally gave him a list of last minute items that she wanted.

We had just entered town when once again blue lights lit up my rearview mirror. I pulled over and who should walk up but none other than Sid Spelman, trying to act tough and important.

He said, "Thompson, what the hell are you doing in my city? If you're not gone in three days I'll have you rotting in my jail."

I just looked at him for a moment and said, "I don't think so, Sidney," knowing how much he hated being called Sidney.

"You can't threaten me! I can have you locked up for threatening in a police officer! I'll have you know I'm the chief of police, so you better just watch your step!"

I just glared at him and said again, "I don't think so! I'm a property owner, and I'm employed, so you don't have any call to try to run me out of town."

"I'll do any damn thing I want! I run this town, and you're just another criminal. Who in their right mind would give you a job?"

"Sheriff Johnson. I'm the new deputy who's training the SWAT team! So, I suggest that unless you really want to start something, you get your fat ass back in your car and get the hell out here."

"Thompson, you haven't heard the last of this!"

"I think so. I kicked your ass when we were kids, and I don't doubt for a minute that I can still do it."

After he got back into his car and sped off, Mark turned to me and said, "Jesus, Jake! Just looking into your eyes scared me! It was like looking at one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. It looked like you were ready to kill him right then and there."

"Sorry. I guess old habits die hard. I just can't stand bullies, especially those that think the rules don't pertain to them."

"You know this isn't over, yet. Slimy Sid isn't going to take this lying down. You undercut his authority. Did you really take a job with the Sheriff's Department?"

"Yup. I'm only working twenty hours a week, to start. I think he only gave me the job to get under Sid's skin. By the way, why didn't you tell me you were cousins with the Sheriff?"

"Second cousins, actually, but family is family. I mentioned to him about you being back, and the relationship you had with Slimy Sid. He thinks with you around, Sid is bound to do something stupid. That will give us an excuse to get rid of him, once and for all, regardless of his daddy's backing."

We laughed about it while heading to the supermarket. Going inside, we started by picking up some beer and wine.

After finding out which beer Mark liked, and which wine Sally might enjoy with dinner, Mark laughed and said, "I'm not quite sure which wine goes best with meatloaf!" As he continued to pick out groceries he said, "What, you cook, too? I never thought you were that domesticated."

"It's hard to mess up frying a steak, or baking a potato. I also know how to open a can. Just remember, cooking is mostly following instructions. If there's one thing the Marines teach you, it's how to follow instructions."

"Well, I can see you're not going to starve to death, at least. I'm sure glad I have Sally. Otherwise, with my cooking, I probably would starve!"

We headed back to my place to put everything away. After I got cleaned up and changed, we headed to his house.

As we walked in Sally said, "Van called a little while ago, and wanted to know what you said to piss the chief of police off so badly?"

This set us off laughing so hard that Sally just stared at us, as if we'd lost our minds. Mark finally got control of himself and explained the way the chief of police tried to throw his weight around, and the way he'd backed down when I stood up to him.

She just laughed and said, "Couldn't happen to a nicer guy! That dumb son of a bitch goes around thinking he owns this town. I remember when right after Jake left, he came sniffing around me like I was some sort of consolation prize. As if I would ever consider going out with him! "

The meal was fantastic, but I think I ate too much. Good food and good friends just made me feel right at home.

After I finally arrived at home, I remembered Dad's letter. Opening it, I read,

Jake,

If you're reading this, I know you're at the crossroads of your life. You're no longer in the Marine Corps, and you're not sure what you want to do now. I know you'll miss the excitement and the challenges that the Marines brought, so the one last thing I can do for you, is to show you your legacy. Put the ring that was given to you, onto your right ring finger. Place all the objects you are carrying on you, on the top of the desk in my office. Then go through the door behind my desk. Your new path in life will be revealed to you. After you are shown your new direction, contact my brother, Jim. He will fill you in further. I have a few notes and things in the office safe, that may also help you, after you talk to Jim. As for the combination of the safe, just remember Tun Tavern.

Love always,

Dad

What a strange letter! What the hell did he mean, 'the crossroads of my life'? What was he talking about by 'my legacy'? I was tempted to call Uncle Jim right away, and find out if he knew what was going on; but instead, I decided it couldn't hurt to do as Dad said, one last time.

Following his instructions, I emptied my pockets, and put on the ring. Stepping to the door, I thought it was some sort of storage room or closet. Stepping through I felt a momentary sensation of dizziness, and saw an attractive woman who looked to be in her early sixties.

She said, "Welcome to Crossroads. I am Mistress Eva. May I ask your name, Hero?"

I just stared at her for a moment. This couldn't be happening! This room, alone, looked to be larger than my father's study! There was no way it could fit in that little closet area.

Seeing that I was in a state of shock and confusion, she said, "Please have a seat, Hero," pointing to a chair beside her desk.

I took the offered chair and said, "Just what is this place? I can tell just by the size of it, that it would never fit into my dad's office."

She said, "This is going to take a while. Would you care for refreshment, perhaps some coffee or tea?

"Maybe some coffee, please; no cream, no sugar."

I was surprised when she said, "Two coffees, black, please," and they appeared on the desk in front of her. As I was starting to doubt my sanity, she said that we were on 'Crossroads', and then explained about the other planets: Cassandra and Chaos. She went on to tell about a catastrophe to Cassandra, which left most of the male population impotent. Then she spoke of the planet Chaos, which was similar to the way the Earth was in the fourteenth century: feudal lords, bandits, slavers, and cutthroats. She told me of the women of Cassandra, otherwise known as Damsels, who were placed upon Chaos. Thereupon they would meet with hardship and danger, leading to their possible death, while waiting to be rescued by a Hero of Earth.

"But why would they put themselves in danger like that? You said they could even be tortured or killed on Chaos?"

"Why it's the grand adventure, and they get to have a baby by the Earth Hero, of course."

"So, let me get this straight. If they are killed on Chaos, they are just transported back here, right. They're not really dead, right?"

"No, dead is dead. The Damsels feel that it is worth the risk for the opportunity to have a child."

"So if the mission is a success the Damsels and the Hero would return to Earth or Chaos to have a family?"

"No they would return to crossroads whereupon the Damsel would proceed to get pregnant by the Hero. Upon announcing her pregnancy she will be sent back to Cassandra to raise her child and the hero would be returned to Earth."

"That's crazy! You would expect me to father children that I would never see or be part of their upbringing? Just why should I want to do anything like that?"

"I know it is a difficult concept to understand but without this the population of Cassandra would cease to exist in about one hundred more years. Remember, the male population is effectively sterile. This is the only chance the women have to have a healthy child. They feel so strongly about this, that they are willing to risk their lives for it. I know it is a difficult decision, but remember, both your father and your uncle were Earth Heroes for many years. They have fathered numerous children for Cassandra."

"Are there any other surprises I need to be aware of?"

She went on to explain about Hero Companions, and what their basic duties were. Then said that there was a problem with three Earth groups that were trying to take over Chaos. She said the first group was the Slavers. There had been a war fought with the slavers who were trying to take over most of Chaos. She went on and explained about the war.

"There is also a group of Elitists who are trying to take over. They are called the Brotherhood. Finally, there's a group of Industrialists, who are just as bad as the slavers. They are trying to take over the population, to use them as indentured servants. The way this works, is that they hire someone, or loan them money. Then they need to work it off. It sounds good to the simple peasants, but everything they need, including housing, is charged to them by the company they work for, thus keeping them forever in debt. According to Chaos laws, being an indentured servant is legal, while slavery is not, although they are basically the same thing. A lot of Damsels end up kidnapped, and sold as indentured servants, with forged papers. Normally, Heroes work alone, except for their companions. Since the problems have come up with these Earth groups, we are encouraging certain heroes to form groups, to support themselves and allow some dispensations, such as bringing animals like horses or dogs from Earth to help them. They are still not able to bring any sort of weapon with them, though."

After hearing this, my blood started to boil, so I said, "Okay, I'm in. What's the next step?"

"The next step is picking your Caretaker. This is a woman from Cassandra, who will help brief you, and see to your every need as a Hero's Caretaker. Here are three files. Our master computer says one of these women will provide you with the best support possible."

I opened the files and started to read.

Kelly Hunter: experienced in Outdoorsmanship, Game Hunting, Tactics, and Basic Survival.

Darlene Medic: experienced in Surgery, Battlefield First Aid, Pharmacy, and Herbal Medicine.

Jamie Editor: author of several 'Guides to Survival' on Chaos, including the bestseller: 'The Guide to Survival for Damsels'.

Also shown, was a nude picture of each of the girls. Each one was a beauty in her own right. I read each of the files a couple of times over and shoved two of them toward Mistress Eva. I said, "I'm not really sure any of these would be a real asset; but probably, Kelly Hunter would be the best."

"Oh, dear! I'm afraid Kelly Hunter is not eligible to become your caretaker," she said. She then picked up the other file. After reading it, she said, "There has clearly been a big mistake. Darlene Medic is also not eligible."

"Why aren't they eligible?"

"Apparently a mistake was made when the files were selected. It was not taken into consideration that these Caretakers are related to you. Kelly is your half sister and Darlene is your Uncle Jim's daughter, so she is your first cousin."

"So what happens now? Do they just go back into a pool and wait for the next Earth Hero?"

"No, unfortunately because of the number of applicants they only have one chance."

"That really doesn't seem fair! Through no fault of their own, they lose their only chance?"

"I'm sorry for them, but since there are so many applicants, we have to abide by the rules."

I thought for a minute, then had an idea and said, "Okay, they're not eligible to be Caretakers. What about them becoming my Hero Companions?"

"That is most irregular. Most Hero Companions are from Earth... although, I do remember something about one hero sneaking his Caretaker onto Chaos for a mission."

Then she gazed off into the distance as if she were speaking with someone. After several moments she seemed to snap back.

She said, "I've checked with the Powers That Be, and they agree that it is unfair to Kelly Hunter and Darlene Medic to be excluded like this. They will make a special dispensation an allow them to become your companions, although they must then move to Earth, with you. They will essentially become Earth women, then. Are you agreeable?"

"I don't really have much family left on Earth, just my Uncle Jim and Aunt Helen; so, if it is agreeable with them, I'm okay with it."

"That's settled then, let me get you three new folders."

"Why three new folders? What will happen with Jamie Editor?

"The Hero must have a choice of three. She will be sent back, the same as if she was not chosen."

I wasn't too happy with the cavalier way that they treated the caretaker applicants so I said, "New folders will not be necessary. I'll take Jamie Editor as my caretaker."

Upon hearing this, she stood and said, "I'll be right back with your Caretaker and new Companions."

*

Edited By TeNderLoin, The Old Fart & Pcbondsman

kingkey
kingkey
363 Followers
12