The Link

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The bathroom is all yours." I smiled back and dug into my bag. I didn't have any pajamas. I was wondering if I should just crawl into bed with my pants on. The floor is where I belonged. I've slept on worse.

"All I have is t-shirts and boxers," I said. I was about to add that the floor was the best solution when Natalie cut in.

"That's fine," she said, "panties and t-shirt are all I brought as well. Didn't figure I was going to be gone too long." I looked in my bag not seeing anything particular as the idea of her panties ran through my stupid brain. Blue, pink, white, and all other colors of the rainbow entered my mind. I heard her walk to the crib as I grabbed a t-shirt and dopp kit and headed quickly to the bathroom. With the door closed, I could think.

There was crusty blood under my nose and stubble from a day without a shave. My hair was a disaster from sleeping in the back of the car. Normally, I wouldn't care, but there was a woman I had to share a bed with. I started the shower and broke out my shaving gear. I reached into the shower to test the water. It was a perfectly warm temperature. I turned it colder and climbed in and let the chill wash the thoughts of panties from my mind.

Natalie lay still on the right side of the bed when I emerged from the bathroom. I almost laughed at myself for shaving and combing my hair. She was a lot easier to look at covered in sheets and a blanket. Only her angelic face was showing. So much easier on my heart. I crawled carefully into the left side of the bed, trying not to disturb her sleep.

"They're blue," Natalie whispered.

"What?"

"My panties," she clarified, "they're baby blue." It took a moment for me to realize that Stinky had narked me out.

"I'll sleep on the floor," I said as blood flooded my face. I began to rise when Natalie rolled over and reached for my arm, holding me back.

"I like how you see me," Natalie stated softly.

"I'm sorry," I said, "I can't help it."

"Stay," Natalie said, "I feel safe with you near." I relaxed back into the pillow, shocked at her words. "I just need to get some sleep; then we can talk about it." She half pulled half scooted closer to me. Her hand released my arm, and she reached across my chest. "There, we can keep each other warm," she whispered. I lay unmoving, trying not to over-breathe or do anything that would endanger her arm moving. A moment of courage allowed me to lay my far hand over hers and lightly grasp her palm. I smiled when her fingers curled around mine. Natalie was asleep in minutes. I laid awake for over an hour staring into the darkness, loving the feel of her hand in mine.

The sun had barely cracked the horizon when I woke. Natalie had rolled away from me in the night. I missed her hand but smiled that it had been there in the first place. I sat up slowly, letting her get as much sleep as possible.

My groin was still sore but more uncomfortable than non-functional. The soreness in the small of my back had disappeared, and there was a smart, gorgeous woman wearing baby blue panties in my bed. Life was coming up roses. I pulled my legs up into the Indian position to stretch out my groin. It burned a little, more warm than pain. I rubbed the insides of my thighs, loosening up the rest of tightness.

"Getting busy over there," Natalie chuckled, "I could leave for a moment if you need some privacy." I turned with a panicked red face to find her head cocked in her hand and wearing a cocky smile.

"My legs..." I stammered, "I mean, I pulled something..." Natalie laughed at my struggles as I defended the unnecessary. "Am I that easy to tease?" I asked as my smile grew.

"You're still nervous around me," Natalie said, "it makes it so easy."

"I'm not good around smart women," I admitted, "I always feel a bit behind the eight ball."

"What about smart men?" Natalie asked, "do they fluster you when you sleep with them?" I laughed at her attempts to dig deeper. Her mind moved so quickly, I knew I would have trouble keeping up with the banter without more practice.

"Only the ones who wear baby blue panties," I replied. That got a chuckle out of her.

"Have you been thinking about my panties all night?"

"Pretty much," I answered truthfully, "It's Stinky's fault. The little tattle tale." I liked the way that Natalie was looking at me. Deep comfortable eyes and a warm smile. There was no fear or apprehension a woman of her caliber should be feeling with someone like me this close to her.

"What has she told you about me?" Natalie smiled as she spoke.

"Nothing," I said with surprise. I looked over at the crib. The little traitor has never let me see one thing about Natalie. I hadn't tried, but you think I would see what I needed to see. "It's a little unfair when you think about it."

"Oh, I don't know," Natalie continued, "maybe she thinks I need an advantage."

"What would I see?" I delved, not expecting an answer. I just wanted to set Natalie a little off kilter as she had me.

"That I find you attractive as well," Natalie said, not missing a beat. It threw me off kilter.

"Why?" I asked. The question came out of my mouth before I could stifle it. It sounded unconfident, something only an idiot would ask. Natalie's eyebrows raised as she pondered the question.

"Why not?" she retorted.

"You're a lawyer," I argued against myself, "I'm unemployed with no college degree." Natalie smiled, waiting patiently for me to finish. "I don't even own a suit. I wouldn't know where to take you to dinner or could afford it if I knew. I would probably embarrass you at the first party you dragged me too." I took a deep breath and let a million other reasons float away and just summed it up, "We come from different worlds."

"Are you finished?"

"Well...yes, I sighed, "That's the gist of it."

"No suit, huh?" Her faux pondering made me rethink my argument.

"It's a metaphor as well as the truth," I insisted, "it means I am not ready for your world."

"Metaphor is a really big word for someone so uneducated," Natalie joked. She was toying with me again, but this time, my anger was climbing. She knew exactly what I was talking about. We could never be a we.

"You know what I..." Natalie moved quicker than I thought her capable of. Just as I was reaching my boiling point, her hands wrapped around my neck and pulled me down to her. I almost pulled back when her soft lips touched mine. Luxurious lawyer lips yanked the anger from my body and replaced it with something non-thinking. Social standing disappeared as her tongue tickled my upper lip. I could feel her smile as I let myself go, my hands roaming her curves over the covers. She cocked her leg, letting me run my hand down that magnificent thigh I had seen last night. So soft with a hint of firmness that begged to be squeezed. My hand ran back up, lightly finding her baby blue encased bottom. She giggled into my mouth, enjoying my uncontrolled exploration.

A grunt from the crib broke the spell. A second grunt, followed by Stinky's tell tale gurgling had me flopping onto my back.

"Damn," I said to the world. Natalie was laughing as the smell began to fill the room. She rolled on top of me and kissed me hard. I wrapped my arms around her, enjoying the feeling of her t-shirt encased breasts pushing into my chest.

"Counselor, I wanted it noted that I tried to warn you off," I said with a grin. I had no intention of holding back anymore. She was way too desireable to be given another chance.

"Duly noted," Natalie agreed and kissed me again, "I changed the last diaper," she laughed, "this one is all yours."

"You crack the windows," I said, sitting up, "and I'll brave the sewer butt."

It only took a few minutes to clean the smiling Stinky. It took a good fifteen minutes to clear out the smell. I donned some pants and found a dumpster to toss the diaper in. I came back into the room to find Stinky in Natalie's arms. Natalie's smile was incredibly attractive.

"I love how you see me," Natalie said. Her hand was covering Stinky's bare foot. Trying not to think was impossible. I immediately imagined Natalie in various stages of undress and then beneath me in bed. I moved quickly and snatched Stinky from her arms.

"She's not a toy," I said, trying to find cover for my thoughts, "and I can't stop thinking about you." Natalie stood smiling and moved into my personal space. Her hand found mine and brought it to Stinky's foot. The tingling began, and my mind opened.

There was so much wonder in our shared thoughts. I could see how Natalie saw me, better than I was and oh, so much more virile. We made love in our minds, so intimate and very naughty at the same time. My breath caught in my throat as her carnal images warped into mine. I broke the connection before my body betrayed me.

Natalie's eyes were all dreamy and fixed on mine. I suspected mine were no different as I caressed her lips with mine. The desire we felt was no longer hidden behind self-imposed barriers. It was Stinky's laugh that broke the spell. She thought we were playing and waved her arms at the fun. Natalie broke our kiss and laughed with Stinky, which only encouraged Stinky more.

I laid Stinky on the bed and began tickling her. "Was that us, or is she doing it?" I asked as Natalie sat on the opposite side of Stinky.

"Does it matter?" Natalie responded. She reached up and lovingly stroked the side of my head. I leaned into her hand. I looked into her eyes and knew I didn't care how it happened. Natalie was what I wanted in life. If it was all Stinky, then I was addicted, heart and soul.

"No," I replied, "it doesn't matter at all." I leaned over Stinky and kissed Natalie. Stinky loved the kissing game.

Chapter 11 - Sam

"Those guys at the truck stop," Natalie said as she sipped her coffee, "they weren't government and didn't seem to care about things like laws." I finished chewing the bite of the breakfast burrito I picked up at a drive-thru. We had already decided to stay another night in the motel to recover and get our barrings.

"They knew about Stinky," I said, "they were apprehensive about hurting her, almost a fear of what would happen if they did." I took another small bite as I thought. "They were just two of many, that much Stinky showed me. It was just chance we picked the stop that they had staked out. I think every road out of Flagstaff was being watched."

"So, someone with a lot of money but less political pull," Natalie surmised, "maybe criminal."

"Or big business," I added, "I did sense they had little concern for our well being."

"I thought you were going to kill that guy," Natalie said. There was a curiosity in her eyes as she spoke. The matter-of-fact tone she used was cover for finding out my intentions.

"He was hurting you," I admitted, "Stinky and anger don't mix well." I took a sip of my coffee as Natalie watched me carefully. She deserved the truth. "If you hadn't stopped me, he would have died."

"I'm glad I could stop you then," Natalie said, reaching out for my hand. I let her take it. There was forgiveness in the way she held me. "The way it drained you scared me. I guess Stinky wasn't meant for aggression." Stinky smiled in my lap at the mention of her name. She had been trying to get to my burrito, so I knew she was hungry as well.

"I don't know if it is aggression or just forcing results," I pointed out, "she has a flow, and if you go outside of it, you pay a price." I absently wiped my nose, "bloody nose, headache, and exhaustion. Maybe worse if you go too far."

"I don't get headaches when I see you," Natalie said with a sly grin. I smiled back remembering what was in her mind last night. I took another bite of my burrito. Stinky's eyes followed it to my mouth and reached out with gusto to try and grab it. "Someone else is hungry," Natalie pointed out. I nodded as I chewed watching what I could only describe as a jealous face on Stinky.

Feeding Stinky was the usual battle. Neither Natalie or I were as skilled as Rose at getting the maximum food into Stinky's mouth. Stinky was getting quicker and becoming more insistent on helping.

"Do you think she knows when we bond?" Natalie asked as she tried to get the spoon out of Stinky's grasp.

"Maybe...probably," I hedged. I was following up with a washcloth trying to keep the bulk of the food off her clothes. We would have to get better at feeding or buy some bibs.

"What happens when she gets older?" Natalie continued her thinking. I stopped for a moment and looked at Stinky. She was intent on eating, the one time when smiling was not in her repertoire. Her focus was on the jar of mashed carrots, a single-minded desire. What happens to those desires when she gets older.

"I don't know," I admitted, "if she could control her power, she could probably rule the world if she wanted too." At that moment, her innocence didn't make it a scary thought. Thinking out into the future, it was frightening. Natalie stopped feeding and looked at me.

"We don't have a clue what we're doing, do we?" Natalie asked rhetorically.

"Maybe they know in Portland," I suggested. Stinky grunted at the lack of attention. Natalie smiled and began feeding again.

"How do you know we wouldn't just turn her over to a cult or something," Natalie commented, "you have no idea who that lady was or why she had Stinky."

"She seemed sincere," I countered, "but you could be right. I do find it hard to believe that her last words would condemn Stinky." I thought about it and the way Natalie shifted the conversation. She was trying to convince me of something. Something she had already concluded.

"There's a reason we're in North Dakota and not Oregon," I observed. I said it softly, without accusation. Natalie nodded and stopped feeding Stinky again.

"I wasn't sure Portland is the right place or the right people," Natalie admitted, "anymore than the government or whoever else wants her." She paused for a moment, and when I didn't speak, she continued. "I wish we had more to go on before we just hand her over."

"You have a career," I reminded her, "you can't just drop everything, and I am not capable of raising Stinky alone. We have to find a more permanent solution. It's our best bet."

"I quit my job," Natalie said, then quickly began feeding Stinky again. She was concentrating on Stinky, trying hard not to look at me as I absorbed the shock.

"Wh...why?"

"Stinky has a way of showing you things," Natalie said, "I was climbing the ladder because that's what everyone told me I should do and I was good at it." She refilled the spoon, and with excited verbal support from Stinky, weaved her way through Stinky's overactive hands. "It's not what I wanted. I love being a lawyer; I just don't want to be a starched one." She paused again and looked at me. "And I want other things. Things a sixty hour work week won't let me have."

My mind was reeling. I thought I had unintentionally thrown away my life and here was a woman who purposely threw it away. Money and prestige were my hopeless dream, and she made it seem like a bad movie. I wiped off Stinky's chin and one of her hands.

"Does your mother know?" I asked. Maybe Rose could talk some sense into her.

"She agrees," Natalie said as she reloaded the spoon again, "she always knew I was unhappy." Natalie tried to come in high to avoid Stinky's grabby hands. Stinky looked like a starving baby bird as the spoon neared.

"I would have told you yesterday," Natalie clarified, "but you were kind of out of it. Mom didn't like the idea of Portland anymore than I did."

"Three against one," I chuckled. Natalie gave me a confused look. "Three girls and me," I clarified, "I'm out numbered."

"I'll go to Portland if you insist," Natalie said, shaking her head, "it's you Stinky loves."

"She doesn't know what love is," I said, shrugging off her statement.

"Sam," Natalie said while she fished the last of the carrot out of the jar, "she loves you unconditionally. I know it, my mom knows it, and so does everyone else she bonds with." Stinky fought for control of the spoon and Natalie relented, making sure she didn't swallow the whole thing. "She trusts us because you trust us. She loves you deeply." I was staring at Stinky, trying to fathom the foolishness of someone trusting me. Of someone loving me. From what I could see, Stinky only loved food. I pushed away from the table and stood. I was breathing harder than necessary.

"I...can't," I stuttered, "I'm a fuck up. I'll screw her up and make her bad or something." I'd die for her, but I didn't have the skill to raise her. I grew up with piss-poor role models. She would end up like me.

"Or you could just love her back," Natalie said, "since you already do, it shouldn't be that hard."

"That's your plan," I argued, "ruin a perfectly good child by leaving her in my hands. All the people in the world and you pick me."

"I didn't pick you," Natalie laughed, "she did." Orange covered lips started laughing with Natalie. Stinky was taking Natalie's side and using her cuteness against me. I huffed and puffed trying to think of a new reason why it was an asinine idea. Natalie's smile was eating into my argument, making me think I was worthy. Her confidence in me was almost painful.

"She needs a bath," I said, trying to retake control of the conversation. I lifted Stinky into my arms and started toward the bathroom. "You're not helping, you little stinker," I whispered. A chuckle from Natalie informed me she overheard.

Stinky was sitting up pretty well on her own now. My hand was still there in case she faltered, but I let her play in the two inches of water unhindered. Splashing was her favorite, at least, before it got in her eyes. I tried not to laugh when she responded to the invasion by rapidly sucking in her breath. I cleared her eyes with a dry washcloth, and she went on playing.

"Most men get nine months to work up the courage." I turned my head to find Natalie leaning against the door frame, that damn smile weakening my resolve again. "you jumped into daddy mode without warning." I turned my head back to Stinky, not wanting Natalie to know how scared the word 'daddy' made me. Dads are saps. Stinky smiled at me as she played. I was a sap.

"I've never had anyone rely on me," I said, "it's terrifying." I looked back to Natalie and her confident smile. The look of a lawyer who was making her case. "What if I screw it up?"

"What if you don't?" Natalie said, using my own indecisiveness against me. I had to smile at her. All that intelligence bundled into such a pretty package.

"You're not going to let me weasel out of this," I observed. Natalie's smile grew as she shook her head no. Portland was shelved. I turned back to Stinky, who had just splashed water all over my t-shirt. "We're going to need some things for you," I said as I lifted warm water in my hand and let it run down her back. Stinky splashed again and thought it was funny when I flinched. I had a little water war with her, splashing her back as she proceeded to soak us both. I would have to work on her aim.

"You have no idea how sexy you look right now," Natalie said. I turned in time to see her leave the bathroom. A sap playing in the tub with a baby is sexy? I smiled to myself remembering her thoughts about me. I had no idea how those visions correlated with the current soaked version of myself. Women were a damn mystery.

"How do you feel about naps?" I whispered to Stinky, "I'd only need an hour or maybe two. Think of it as payment for turning my life upside down." She splashed hard and started laughing. It looked like an immediate nap was not on the agenda.

Natalie went shopping while I watched Stinky. A car seat was a must. Driving for a day without one was a sin we wouldn't repeat. More food, diapers, wipes and other baby necessities were on the list. We were chewing through cash, so we decided risking Natalie's credit card We made the assumption that the thugs hadn't acquired Natalie's name. They weren't all that bright and most likely didn't even get the license plate. It was a risk, but we weren't about to start robbing banks. The car seat alone would have drained our cash resources severely.

1...678910...23