The Lizard Wars

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thank you, Ariel." I said as if talking to an old friend.

"I needed to ask you something about the people of this town if it's alright with you?" he asked me.

"If you want me to report people who I think might give you trouble I won't do that! You might as well hang me from the tree outside and set an example before I would betray my people!" I said with as much defiance as I could.

"Oh no I wouldn't think of asking you anything like that at all. What I need to know is do you think these people would be willing to help grow crops mostly for themselves, but also for your soldiers who are our prisoners of war." He seemed truthful about what he just said.

"For themselves I'm sure since I don't think we'll see delivery trucks coming into town for a long time, but I think most won't believe that our prisoners of war will get the food, but your troops will." Being as honest as I could.

"I could prove that your prisoners of war would get the food by sending people from this town to distribute the food. Maybe even you could go?"

"I don't think I would be a good choice." I told him.

"Why not may I ask? He questioned.

"Because I've only lived in this town for about 10 months. I came here with my husband since it was his home town. Except for Frank's Grandfather and his younger brother, my brother-in-law, I would be considered a stranger or an outsider, plus with me calling you by your first name, some might consider me a traitor or worse." I told him.

"Your husband, Frank, his Grandfather and younger brother live in this town? What is the Grandfather's name and where does he live?"

"His name is Paul Foster. He lives on a large farm in the southwest of town about 2 miles away. Why do you need to know that?" I questioned.

"If you might be considered a stranger or an outsider then your husband's Grandfather or your brother-in-law could not be picked either because of their association with you." He explained.

I knew he was right, besides from what I knew about Paul Foster he would more likely spit in Ariel's eye before he could explain what the food was for. That's a problem the town didn't need right now.

"You're most likely right about that." I agreed.

"If the people agree and I prove who the food is for do you think they might then help with a smaller crop which would be for my troops in town? They can eat the same food as yours but there is always some food that people like best and it's the same for my troops too."

I had to think about this a minute. What would my government call this if we win the war and what might they do to the town's people and me! However we would need to eat and supplies won't be coming in from our side now.

"If you prove who the extra food is for I think you might be able to get your small crop for your troops." Not really sure if I was right.

"Another problem I'm faced with. I will have to move most of the people on the East and Some on the Northeast to share homes on the West and Southwest side of town. Do you think I should bring this up at the same time or later?" he asked.

"Why will you have to move these people?"

"Partly because these are the most likely places for an attack from your side. And partly because I have to house my troops inside before your winter sets in. It would be better to do it now and get the hard feelings out of the way before it's too late in your year." He said.

"I would first see what there answer was about the food than you'll have to decide if it's the right time or not." I told him.

"Then in tomorrow's meeting I'll have them raise their hands yes or no." he replied.

"That might not be a good idea if you want an honest answer." I said.

"Why not?" he quickly replied.

"In this country we vote for our leaders and even some of our laws. The vote is a secret vote I might tell you who I voted for, but since you would not have seen who I really voted for you could only believe what I told you. If you tell them to raise their hand they might think you're looking for trouble makers that you can get rid of. Instead you might ask them to have a meeting and vote on it. They can give you the results, but they must know no harm will come to them if they say no." I told him.

"If there had been more diplomats like you this war might never had started." He said.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Don't you know? We tried to negotiate with your planet's nations to use about 1/6th of your planet to grow enough food so we could continue our journey to a new planet we could make our own without interfering with any other race. Your representatives not only said no, but two countries on the far side of your planet attacked our ships." I could tell from his expression he was telling the truth.

"Those fools could have stopped this war from happening and they didn't!" I screamed.

"It wasn't your country as a matter of fact the countries that attacked us wanted us to destroy this country and then they said we could use all of this country to grow our food and be able to leave even earlier than we told them we planned to. We told them we wouldn't do that and they attacked us. We would have only attacked them, but they asked your country for help and they gave it, so we had to believe your country knew about the attack and were planning to also attack us when it was possible." He looked more surprised than I was by the facts he had just told me.

I was shocked, surprised, and madder than hell that some country on the other side of the world hated us so much that they started a war and then got us to side with them costing us loss of life and land.

"Tina I can tell you didn't know about this and I'm thinking the country we met with may have not told your government about the meeting as none of your representatives ever showed up. I'm considered an expert on your country and I didn't believe it when I was told this. There are others like me who believe this too, but some hot heads in our military and government have the control over all actions taken here. So until we can get rid of these elements the war will go on I'm afraid." Ariel said sadly.

I got up to start another pot of coffee, it was then I realized the two guards were gone. "Were did your guards go to?" I asked Ariel.

"Oh Corporal Lem is outside the front door on guard and Private Shia is guarding the back door." Ariel answered.

"Outside? It's a little chilly out there do you think they might like some coffee too, if it's allowed that is." I asked Ariel.

"That's very nice for you to be concerned for my men Tina. I can allow it if they would like some. I'll ask them." He replied.

He looked at what I had assumed was just a watch on his left wrist and pressed a button on it and talked to it. A second later one then the other answered. After a little conversation he looked up at me. "I can take it to them unless you want too." He waited for my answer.

"I'll take it to them." I responded.

A little more talk with the guards and he then told me. "Corporal Lem would like his coffee black with one teaspoon of sugar. Private Shia first asked for a cold soda, but I reminded him it's cold outside so he asked if you have any tea with a little cream and two sugars." I almost laughed at this request by the young Private.

"Yes, I have tea I just have to boil the water it will only take a minute." I told Ariel.

He finished talking to the guards as I started the teakettle.

"I told them that you would bring them their drinks in a few minutes. That way they know I gave you permission to do so. Else they would never take it. I told them that you offered to take it I didn't order you to. This surprised them a little I think."

"Why would common manners surprise them?" I asked.

"Three days ago our frontline troops ran through this town followed by us to control this area. In the next few days from the contacts I've had here I soon learned that your people hadn't been told who or what the enemy was. Many seemed shocked when they finally saw us. But you didn't seem as shocked. May I ask why?" he asked me.

"Well General Bright, he was in charge here then, took me home from the aid station because he knew Frank my husband and his Grandfather. He told me about having to retreat and about your people being, what you are. He also made me promise not to tell anyone in town about you, or the retreat as he felt it would cause panic." I told him.

"This General Bright is a smart man, it would most likely have caused a panic and that would have delayed his retreat. His men would have had to fight their way through with many, if not all would have been killed."

"Yes, he saved his army but at the cost of leaving the town people here." I told him still a little mad at that event.

"That's what makes him smart. He knows we'll have to leave troops here which puts more strain on our reserves and slows us down in our advance." He said.

"But what's to stop your army from just slaughtering the civilians. It's been done in other wars here on Earth!" I almost scream this at him.

"I and many others like me will not allow it. We to in our history have had wars like that. We learned that in the long run both sides lose, there can be no real winner in that kind of war. Not to say there aren't some leaders in both our military and our governments who are stupid enough to believe that's the only way to win. I'm just glad that both of our sides have very few of this type."

"From the look on your face I can tell you have a picture of one such commander in your mind and he isn't a friend of yours either is he?" I provoked him.

He quickly turned his head toward me, his eyes seemed to glow red with hate. "He's not a friend of any mid tails, short tails and even most long tails. He's Count Vlax a high ranking member of the ruling Royal Order. He and his loyal troops have been kept out of this war because of his tactics in our last war." He said with hate in his voice.

"Will they use him?" I asked.

"The only way he would be called in I think would be if we were losing or trying to evacuate from your planet and needed to hold back your troops long enough to do that." He explained to me.

The tea was done so I put the coffee and tea for the two guards on the carrying tray and went to give it to them. Corporal Lem at the front grunted his approval and took his cup. At the back door Private Shia took his cup and said, "Tank oo." I knew he meant Thank You so I told him, "Your very welcome." And then returned to the kitchen.

"Where they courteous to you when you gave them their drinks?" Ariel asked when I returned.

"Yes, they were both very courteous. I hope you didn't order them to be courteous?" I asked Ariel.

"No, of course not. I just expect them to be." Ariel replied.

"I believe you do mean that."

"Tina, what rank was your husband?" Ariel questioned.

"He was a Captain." I replied sadly.

"You said you were told of his death in the first month of this war, right?" he asked.

"Two weeks after he left here I was told of his death." I explained to Ariel.

"Hum, during the first two months of this war we captured many of your soldiers because they weren't really prepared for our type of weapons or tactics. It may be possible he's in a prisoner of war camp. It would take some time but I could check for you, if you would like." Ariel asked me.

"Why would our military lie about his death?" I told him.

"I didn't mean they lied. If you had ever seen a battlefield after the long tail troops have gone through it you or any military person would assume there were no survivors. We heard reports coming over the radios from troops in the field to your army's headquarters that reported complete loss of all men and equipment, when we knew we had captured them so fast that by the time your side checked the field only the dead were left there. Therefore they assumed all were dead." He told me.

I don't know if it's just because he's in a military organization or because he's male, but he's seems to try to explain away problems within our military. Almost the old boy's club I think.

"That would be very kind of you, but if you don't find him or you get proof he is dead. Then please just pretend you've received no information. Hearing that he is dead twice in one year, I don't think I could stand that." I said to him.

"I understand Tina." He said.

"Would you like more coffee?" I asked Ariel.

"Yes, but I'd better not its passed 1 o'clock. You will need some sleep before tomorrow's 10:00 meeting." Ariel said.

"Passed 1:00 I never noticed the time."

"Oh, don't be alarmed, but tomorrow Corporal Lem and Private Shia will pick you up here at 9:30 and bring you to the meeting. They will let you sit and after the meeting bring you inside the town hall, so I can ask you what you thought about it. That way the town will have their example and none will question my being here so long." He said.

"Why would you want to do that?" I asked.

"Easy, it will deter some from doing something that might provoke headquarters from demanding harsh retaliations. That I would like to avoid if possible." He said.

"I think you don't want anybody to know your softhearted, I think." I said with a smile.

He just smiled back and left the house.

The next day I saw Corporal Lem and Private Shia waiting just outside my picket fence. I went out to meet them Corporal Lem pointed in the direction of town. So I started towards town with them about four feet behind me. Once at the meeting area Corporal Lem pointed at the chair that was away from the others and I sat down. The guards then flanked my chair as they had yesterday. I looked around to see the reaction of those there. Most seemed to try to avoid looking at me as if doing so might put them in a bad situation too. On the other side of the main group of chairs were two chairs also away from the group. Paul Foster and Ben Foster were seated there with one guard about five feet behind them. Now I had to fear that maybe I had inadvertently gotten them in trouble too. Had Ariel tricked me into exposing them? I couldn't have been that wrong about Ariel's true nature could I?

The commander appeared on the stage and started the meeting.

"Good morning everyone. First I must tell you that all the stores with food in them have been cleared of this food to a central warehouse so it can be distributed as needed by the town's people. We will let you all know where this is after an inventory of it and everyone's personal supplies have been taken. All personal supplies that you may have are your own supplies the only reason we are inventorying them is so that any distribution of food will be on an even basis. Since I doubt there will be any delivery trucks coming into town for a long time. I'm also going to ask you to elect a council of your choice in which people here may go to with any issues they feel need to be resolved there by them or brought to my attention. Next I'm sorry to have to do this but it must be done for the safety of the people of this town. If in the future your armies were to attack it is most likely to come from the North, Northeast, or the East, therefore all buildings in those areas will be cleared of people. They will be moved with the help of some of my troops to houses in the West, Southwest and South part of town. If there are people who have friends in those areas and wish to move in with friends please make a list as soon as possible, else we will pick the house. Next thing I'm going to ask you all to do is to have a meeting on what I'll ask you to do. No matter if your answer is yes or no there will be no type of retaliation to the people of this town, you have my word on this. Food must be grown to feed the town, but I'm going to ask for extra food to be grown for our prisoners of war, your soldiers. This food will be delivered and distributed by three persons of your choice. They will then report back to your council about it. This I do so you know it's true. For your helping your own soldiers I ask that a smaller crop also be grown for my troops in town. A kind of phone system is being put together that will connect the town and areas just outside of town it should be completed by this weekend I think. During the next week everyone will be interviewed as to what job they were doing before we came here and where if not in town. This way we can try to match people up to a job to do in town. After these interviews I will pick between 1 to 4 people who will work at my headquarters. Are there any questions?" the commander finished.

"Yes, why would I be afraid of my own armies attacking my house that's in the East side of town?"

"That's easy to answer. Your army like my army would bombard that side of town before attacking. That means there would be heavy loss of life there, maybe even yours. Any other questions?"

After his answer to the person that asked the first question I believe no one wanted to be shown as a fool like that person was.

"OK then you may use the court house at the end of the street for your meeting anytime today and tomorrow."

Everyone except me drifted down to the court house. When all were about half way there Corporal Lem and Private Shia led me into the commander's office in the town hall.

"Well Tina what did you think of my speech." Ariel asked me.

"Why was there a guard on Paul and Ben Foster?" I said with rage in my voice.

"Well when I explained to Corporal Lem what I was going to do with you today in the chair with and that trucks should also round up the people on the outside of town, especially Paul and Ben Foster, he came up with the idea that if your family members might also look like they were in trouble because of you, well others would think twice before doing anything wrong. But don't worry the next meeting they will be left alone only you will still have two guards. Then just Corporal Lem for the meeting after that. And the meeting after that Corporal Lem will leave after you've sat down. Then we'll move your chair closer to the others. Then you may sit where you want after that." He finished, but I was still fuming a little.

"By the time you finished with your object lesson for the people of this town they'll be so scared to even be seen talking to me and I'll have no friends left to talk to." I said fuming a little more.

"Maybe, but you might also find your real friends too. And I will have less problems and I think now I won't have to worry about finding food for the town's people." He said followed with his lizard smile.

"I thought you were going to tell the people about the need for growing food first than hear their answer before telling them about the move?" I asked him.

"I thought about that, but decided to tell them it all at one time. This I think shows my honesty upfront. As you heard I first talked about taking all the stores food. This I knew would make some or all mad or fearful of our intentions. Then I told them the other non-food plans which would likely increase the hate and fear. I than told them about growing food for themselves and their captured soldiers showing my concern for their safety and health. Most races, even ours, will think more about where their next meal will come from than the other things I talked about. Don't you agree?" Ariel said smiling again.

"When you put it like that I have to agree you're right. And Ariel may I say that like General Bright, you're a very smart man too!" I said hoping that calling him a man would not offend him.

"And you Tina are a very smart woman. I'm glad it was you who spoke out the other day and not someone else." He replied and I know I blushed.

"Now since you're here anyways lets do your interview right now." He told me.

"OK, what do you need to know?" I said.

"Well what was your last civilian job and where, the city that is was?" Ariel said.