The Long Road to Ruin Ch. 19

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He nodded. "I will ask Father Derthur to see to your wounds and I apologize for my actions. I should not have harmed you worse."

"Are you angry with me, Rhys?" Tears spilled down her cheeks.

"YES!"

His bark startled her and she settled at his feet. "Rhys, please. I have nothing left if I do not have you. I have done wrong. They shall forsake me. I know it in my heart. Allow me to stay."

"That is not for me to decide and you know that. The good father will see to your wounds, but you must face the music. There is nowhere for you to run where you will not be found. I can not protect you."

"But you swore to take me away, Rhys. You promised me!" She surged to her feet, staring down at him with wild eyes.

"I can do nothing. If I am found by the Dhorn, my life is forfeit instantly. Because of Ashur, they know everything about me and the organization I work for. That is why you must be careful. You must not fall into their hands. Arto Benthur is a very dangerous man."

"And there are members of the guild who are very dangerous as well. Vico, for one. I have fought Vico and I do not relish doing it again." Shiloh sank to her knees before him, favoring the pains shooting from her belly.

"When, Shiloh? Tell me what happened?" Rhys watched her through curious eyes.

"I can not, Rhys. I should go. I have already said too much. I feel my time grows short. Something isn't right. I must go now." Shiloh turned to run back through the hidden door that led into Rhys's room. She came face to face with Father Derthur.

He grabbed hold of her and gathered a divine light in his palm. He pressed it against her lower abdomen, eliciting a small cry from her. She felt warmth flooding her. Pain being chased down and vanquished by the goodness of his heart. He steadied her on her feet and let her go. "Nathan is waiting for you in my office, child. There is nowhere for you to run. He knows everything."

A sob slipped from her lips. "Is he alone?"

Father Derthur shook his head. "No, he is not. The blackguard is with him."

No, it could not be. The one that held her heart could not be here to take her out. No matter what had happened with them, he would not do that. Not after what they had shared. Not after what he had told her. He loved her. He had said the words during their last time together. All his feelings lay bare before her as he coaxed screams of rapture from her lips. He had told her that only she had ever made him feel the way he did and that she was the only one whom had ever filled his heart with warmth. She had taken away all the rage and anger and darkness, replacing it with light and love and a sense of peace when he was with her. Another sob as she sank to her knees, "Vico."

Father Derthur lifted her to her feet. "You must go to them, child. It may be your only chance."

Shiloh sucked in a deep breath. She knew he was right. She nodded and pulled herself to her feet. "You are right, good father. I must go."

He nodded and watched as she left the room through the hidden panel. He followed her into his own office. "I shall leave you alone to talk," he said to Nathan as he ventured further in the room and to the door.

Shiloh watched as Father Derthur left the room. Then she turned her gaze to Master Nathan and to Vico as well. She studied him for several tense seconds. His face was utterly neutral, but something malignant festered within his dark eyes. She had betrayed him and his trust and they both knew it.

She quickly looked away, studying her feet. An ache coursed from her heart, spreading out to claim every bit of her. She had betrayed something beautiful and fragile. She deserved his wrath. Tears began to flow as she turned her face to Nathan's. She had no explanation for her actions, at least none that would absolve her of her sins. "I do not ask for forgiveness because I am not worthy of it. I only ask that my punishment come swiftly and without suffering."

No emotion showed within Nathan's intense green eyes. "I have not come to deliver punishment, Shiloh. If I desired that, you would not have made it this far alive. You will tell me what has gotten into that fool head of yours and then I shall decide what becomes of you."

"Is that why you've have brought your killer?" She hissed in return. "Vico and I have been at this impasse and he knows as well as I do that we are evenly matched."

"Do not tempt fate, Shiloh. I have given you an order and I expect you to answer me." Nathan's green eyes blazed even brighter though his voice stayed as neutral as before. She knew he was angry. He was like a pot boiling under considerable pressure and she knew he could blow up at any given moment.

"Which actions shall I explain? Perhaps if you were a bit clearer."

A blur of color exploded before her eyes as she felt something connecting with her face. Her head snapped back and she staggered, collapsing against the desk. She wiped her mouth and noticed her own blood upon hand. Vico had slapped her.

"Call off your dog, and I shall speak." She collected herself and took a seat upon the top of the desk. "I don't know what came over me when I stabbed Mick. He has been taunting me as of late. I suspected it was because he had a crush on me, but my affections lie elsewhere. I felt the urge to silence him after one particularly nasty barb he threw my way. He wanted me to believe that Vico had taken someone else to his bed besides me. He-...."

"What is this that you speak of?" Nathan turned accusing eyes to Vico. "Have you been bedding her?"

Vico's eyes narrowed at Shiloh. "She begged for it. It was the only way to shut her up. It was the only way to keep her from sniffing around like a bitch in heat."

Shiloh glared at Vico. "Is that why you kept me abed for three days straight? Is that why you told me you loved me and have never felt like this for any woman? You liar!"

An insolent grin crossed his face. "If a few sweet words are all it takes for you to spread your legs for any man that whispers them to you, then you are nothing more than a whore. You are a liability to us. Let me kill her and be done with this."

"No, Vico," Nathan turned to Shiloh once more. "This makes the second time you have killed one of our own. Yes, Shiloh, Mick is dead and your reasons for both are very weak. Perhaps I made a mistake in letting Vico convince me to shelter you after the Dhorn attack. And perhaps I made a mistake in thinking you were ready to leave the kitchens. But I shall make no more. You two will stay away from each other for the time being. Vico, I have a job for you. We shall discuss it later. And Shiloh, you will complete your lessons. You have dallied about far too much and I have been far too lenient with you. As for the Dhorn commander you lured down your primrose path, we will keep close tabs on his movements. If he catches you, you will beg for death long before he grants it to you. And we may not be able to save you from that. Take heed to my warnings. Do not fail me."

She watched as he turned on his heel and left the office. Vico followed behind him, turning his head just long enough to throw a look of utter evil at her. He drew Kinslayer, pointing the blade at her and made an ominous motion of running his finger across his neck. Then he turned his back to her as fear blanched her face. And in that moment she knew..... The hells hath no fury like the blackguard scorned.