The Long Road to Ruin Ch. 26

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She peaked out of her hiding spot, taking note that the remaining guard was down at the other end of the long corridor, and turned her attention to the door behind her. She fiddled with the lock for a few tense seconds. This one was somewhat rusty and wasn't as easy to pick as the other two. She cursed as one pick slipped from her fingers and grabbed at it, hoping to catch it before it hit the floor. She didn't know how much noise it would make, but let out a swift sigh of relief as her fingers grasped it firmly. She continued the count of seconds in her head, mentally calculating how much time she had left until the guard would be headed back up this way. She had to get it open before he came back. The noise of the door alone would alert him if he was close. She couldn't allow herself to get caught.

Focus, stupid! Her mental chide echoed about in her head as she carefully worked the pick and the skeletal key in conjunction with each other. She listened for that telltale click that all locks made once the tumblers were breached.

Oh, damn, here he comes, a voice in her head warned and she dove into the shadowiest place she could find and prayed he hadn't seen her. She watched as he stopped and looked around. He removed his helm and checked the door she'd been trying to pick. He shook it forcefully and let a growling curse, muttering to himself about damn thieves. He walked away, heading into a large storage room to the north of where she hid.

"Come out, little rat. I know you're here. I can smell you, your fear makes my mouth water. My mighty weapon hungers for blood. Come out, come out... wherever you are," he taunted snidely. "I shall find you."

Shiloh held her breath, staying perfectly still as the head to the wicked looking halberd sliced the air in front of her. He moved a step or two and repeated the slashing maneuver. When his blade struck nothing but air once more, he smacked the wall with it and walked away, still cursing about the little rat.

Only then did she venture to breathe. Returning to the door, she went back to work on the lock and after a few more seconds managed to get it open. She barely pulled it open and squeezed her way in, pulling it shut behind her. Once inside, she glanced around. A partially open large crate stood before her. She pulled the lid off and reached in; pulling out what she sought... her painting.

Yanking it from the crate, she stuffed it inside the haversack, shoving other things aside so it would fit. Now to get out. She listened at the door, before cracking it ever so slowly and slightly. She allowed a sliver of light to spill forth, just enough to see by. She didn't think the guard was near and slipped her way out, once more finding safety in the shadows.

But the creak of the door alerted the guard and he ran back to it. He pulled it open and charged into the small chamber. "I have you now!" The exclamation slipped from his lips as she slammed the door behind him and quickly jammed the lock with one of her larger picks. He wouldn't be getting out until someone let him out. It would allow her the time to make her escape.

She raced to the door that led upstairs, finding it open. The other guard forgot to close it on his way up. It seemed luck was on her side after all. She crept her way up them and came out in a short curving hall. It led to a larger main corridor. She sneaked through it and searched room by room for a way out. During her search she noted a few maids hard at work. She silently crept into the same room with a woman who appeared to be the same height and build as she. Taking a deep breath, she slipped up behind the woman and pulled her sword, slamming its hilt against the young woman's temple.

She crumpled without a sound. Shiloh caught her in her arms and laid her down upon the floor. Then she stripped her of her uniform and hid her body in a nearby supply closet. Then Shiloh swiftly removed her own clothes and dressed in the maid's uniform. It fit her well, accentuating her curves nicely. She pulled on the stockings and white shoes that were also part of the uniform and braided her hair, hiding it in the scarf the young woman had worn on her head. Lastly, she dirtied her cheeks with some grime and dust she found in a small pile on the floor.

She figured now she'd be able to move about without being stopped. No one paid attention to the help. She left the room behind, blowing out the candles that kept it lit and closing the door behind her. She sauntered down the hallway, acting as if she belonged there. She passed by a few guardsman, but they ignored her presence. Her next plan was to find the front door and get out. She had come too far to be caught now.

Through the corridors she meandered until she came to the grand hall. She noted four guards standing before the large double doors. All she had to do was bluff her way out. She wore the garb of a maid. This should be easy.

She walked toward them, her eyes averted slightly. She wanted to appear somewhat submissive. As she passed the first two, she offered up a shy smile and a swift curtsy.

"And where do you think you're going? Shouldn't you be working?" A door guard confronted her.

Her eyes met his almost defiantly, but she offered a meek smile. "I was told to go home. My shift is over," she replied, hoping her bluff worked.

"Alright, you can pass. I'll have a talk with the sergeant, though. He'll make you work longer tomorrow," he scoffed at her with a sneer, "Lazy damn maids."

Despite his growls, he let her out and she quickly dashed away, skirting in and out of shadows of buildings and guard towers until she reached Shander's door. The door was slightly ajar and the sounds of clanking metal could be heard from within. Fear gripped her heart. Was she too late?

It took every ounce of concentration she could muster to sneak into Shander's bedroom. A gasp nearly slipped from her lips as she sneaked behind a wooden screen. Four Dhorn soldiers surrounded a bloodied body on the floor. She could see dark hair and knew she'd been too late to warn Shander. The Dhorn had murdered him for helping her. It wasn't fair. He shouldn't have been punished for her negligence, her stupidity. Calming her erratic breathing, she waited until the Dhorn left before she rushed over to Shander's body. His hands had been severed from his wrists and his throat slashed wide open.

It wasn't fair.

She dug into her pack and pulled out the rod she'd used to bring Shanna back to life.

Life is never fair, a voice echoed in her head.

Fairness is for the weak. The weak perish and the strong survive. That's the way of the world, another voice growled.

"QUIET!" Shiloh called out. The voices were getting to be far too opinionated. "Gods, make this work. Let him live again. Resurgo!"

Minutes passed as the magic reformed his body and healed his wounds. The bloodied robe fell away, leaving nothing behind but an unblemished male body. Shander gasped and opened his eyes. A moan escaped his throat as he pushed himself up on his elbows and looked upon Shiloh with the most curious expression.

"What have you done?" His voice was a bit gravelly before he cleared his throat.

Shiloh held up her rod for him to see. "It's my fault. I think they heard me in the cellars and thought it was you. They killed you and I brought you back to life. I hope you will forgive me."

"Why am I cold? Why am I naked?" His voice became a bit shrill. Shiloh watched as he struggled to his feet and grabbed the blanket from the bed, covering his nude form with it. "Turn away while I dress myself."

"Fine! You could say thanks first, though. And I think we should get you out of here. This place isn't safe. If they find you alive, they'll capture you and torture you until you tell them the truth about how you are alive again."

"And where would I go? Am I to always be on the run?" He asked as he searched through his dresser for a plain tunic and breeches.

"I know someplace I can take you, someplace you'll be safe. You helped me and therefore these people I know will be inclined to help you. You have to trust me." Shiloh removed the scarf she wore and took down her braids. She moved behind the screen and put on the blue low cut dress she'd stolen from the administration cellar. She liked the way it fit her, the way it plunged over her bountiful cleavage. "Now grab some belongings you'd like to take with you. I can help you look a little different so you aren't recognized."

"Why would you help me? I'm nothing to you. What does it matter if I live or die?" Shander asked, bewildered at her actions.

"I hate the Dhorn. They took everything from me. And it's my fault they killed you. I can't let them win. Trust me, Shander. I know what I'm doing." Shiloh turned pleading eyes upon him. "Come with me."

He nodded at her, gathering a small backpack from within his dresser. He began loading items in it; so many that Shiloh feared it would burst at the seams. But it didn't. Its size never increased.

She looked at him oddly as he stuffed a whole alchemist's apparatus into it and closed the flap. "How is that possible?"

"Oh, it's called a bag of holding. It's magically enchanted to hold a great deal of items without feeling the weight. I have another if you'd be interested in it, No charge, though. You saved me."

She took it from his hand and examined it. "How does it work?"

"It's magic," his eyes glistened with mirth. "Just don't put another one like it inside it. Terrible things could happen. There is a small extra-dimensional space inside it that makes it possible. You could stuff a horse in one and it'd still feel light as a feather."

"Wow!" Shiloh smiled and transferred all her belongings from her haversack into the bag of holding. "Where can I get more of these?"

"There is a merchant near the marketplace that sells them. The Academy sells them as well."

"I never knew that." She walked over to him with her combs and brushes. "Now let me fix your appearance. And then I'll let you see my painting."

A grin flashed upon Shander's lips at the mention of the painting. He allowed her to wet his hair and slick it back completely until he had a widow's peak hairstyle. She smiled at him. "Looks good."

Then she reached for the bag he'd given her and pulled out the painting to show him. A red blush colored his cheeks as he raked his eyes over every inch of it.

"Oh...Oh...Ohhhh..." he sighed as he went down on his knees. "It's beautiful... Can you leave me alone for a moment?"

Shiloh nodded as she smothered a giggle. She knew what had happened and left the room. The sight of two lovely naked females had been too much for the shy wizard and she was sure if she could check the insides of his pants, the proof would be there!

Ahhh, she chuckled, wizards!

O.O