The Long Road to Ruin Ch. 28

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Alfons regarded her curiously, rubbing his chin and carefully paying attention to the small details she described. He noted how she spoke of her father and his hunger for more power. It almost sounded as if she had come to realization that her father's way was wrong. But he kept his thoughts to himself and continued to listen to her speak.

"I was thoroughly ignorantly happy before he started a fight he had no hope of winning. I had it all, at my fingertips. And looking back now, though, I wouldn't trade what I know now for that existence. I'm a better person now, I think. I've learned so much and I want to use that knowledge to succeed in ways my father never could. If I have to bleed the castle dry of every ounce of treasure, then I will. Because sooner or later, that won't be the only thing bled dry."

"Just don't act foolishly. You're one of us now and we're here to help you get even with them. One day, they'll be gone and if you're still with us, we'll see that you're placed upon your rightful throne, Shiloh."

"I'll still be here. I won't stop until that becomes a reality." A determined look in her eyes told Alfons she meant every word she had said.

"I'll talk to Nathan about your plan to re-enter the castle to find this hidden vault. And I'll make sure you have plenty of muscle. Now Nathan will probably have Vico go with you. Will that be a problem?"

"No, it shouldn't, as long as he allows Rhys to go as well."

After being silent for the whole conversation, Rhys finally spoke up. "I'll speak to Nathan and he'll see it my way that I should go. I think between myself and Vico, we'll be all the muscle that Shiloh will need."

"I couldn't agree more," Alfons added, "Anything else?"

"Nope. I'll see ya soon." Shiloh headed back out the door to the room Shanna was sleeping in and woke her up from her nap. Once the younger girl was awake and they'd finished making a few other purchases, she led Shanna and Rhys out of the sewers via the ruined house guarded by Stan. The trio leisurely strolled through South Betancuria on their way to the Thousand Steps Inn. As she reached the front entrance of the inn, a once familiar voice hailed her from the Ranger Guild across the way.

"M'lady! Lady Shiloh," a bright smile shone her ear to ear as he strolled towards her.

"Anden!" she called out as she stopped and waited for him to come to her. She gave him an expectant look. His pack looked full and he wore dark green and black leather armor and a mottled grey-green cloak. Clutched in one hand was an intricately carved longbow.

"What a pleasant surprise. It's nice to see you again, M'lady. I've been looking for you," his dark eyes devoured every inch of her.

"Oh, have you? I've been meaning to stop by the guild and ask your whereabouts, but I've been fairly busy with work and providing a home from my younger sister." She motioned to Shanna before pulling him aside for the moment. There were certain things Rhys didn't need to know.

"I visited the Bear Pit a couple weeks ago and inquired about you, but no one there seemed to have heard of you. I figured there had to be a logical explanation as to where you were and why you told me you lived there when in fact you don't, so I chalked it up to the fact you used me and exploited my kindness." Anden replied, as he regarded her somewhat coolly.

"Trust me, there's a reason for it, if you will allow me time to explain. I think it's probably because they didn't know you, and were probably trying to protect me. And I don't live there like I used to, but still they're incredibly protective of me."

He nodded, "I see. I'd like to see you again, if all possible. Unfortunately now isn't a good time. I've been given new assignment by Guildmaster Rift. There is a goblin army marshaling to the south and I'm on recon duty. We plan to neutralize the threat before the Dhorn get involved."

"Oh? How long will you be gone?"

He shook his head, "A few weeks, at the most."

"Oh...I wish you good luck and keep yourself safe, please," Shiloh smiled at her sweetly. "I'm actually heading to the Summer Islands on a recovery mission of sorts. I'm not sure how long I'll be gone, but I could look you up when I return, if you'd like."

"I'd like that, M'lady. Take care of yourself and beware of poison arrows. I must go. My fellow rangers await me." He motioned to the three other rangers who were standing near the bridge that spanned the river just beyond the Inn. He took hold of her hand caressing it fondly before he walked away.

"Pray tell, my sweet, who was that?" Rhys asked, cocking an eyebrow, as she rejoined him and Shanna at the doorway of the Inn.

"That is Anden Goodmanner. He's a ranger and a good friend. I rescued him from bandits and he nursed me back to health after I'd been shot with a poison arrow. He also wants to marry me, but I really don't see that happening."

Rhys let out a terse scoff. "Uhn-huh, so tell me, sweetness, is he another young swain you've coaxed down the primrose path?"

"I don't have to answer that," she quipped before she ducked through the doorway Shanna had held open and headed into the tavern room of the inn, making here way over to Sir Christano and Lady Myra. "Sir Christano, good day to you. Do you remember me? You asked me if I'd be interested in accompanying you on your venture to the Summer Islands. I couldn't go with you back then, but now we are ready to disembark with you as soon as you are ready to go."

She smiled a smile she didn't truly feel.

"Alas, lovely girl, we would only require you going with us." Christano declined as he set his goblet of wine aside and let his eyes rake over Shanna and Rhys. "How soon can you be ready?"

"It would only be myself and my younger sister going with you," she added, noting how his eyes devoured the sight of Shanna's nubile form. "I mean, you may leave whenever you want, but I must decline if she cannot accompany me. A word to the wise, though, my good sir. I very well may be your only hope of recovering your precious chalice. All I have to do when I leave here is speak to ONE person, and within the HOUR every rogue, thief, pickpocket, and cutthroat in this city will know exactly who you are and will not come near you, no matter how much money you're offering. Or perhaps the prior mentioned may see fit to rob you blind. So you see you only have me to count on in order to recover your chalice. Now can we come to an accord?"

Christano's eyes narrowed as he thought about what she had said. "Very well! You drive a hard bargain. We'll only be offering payment to you solely."

"If my sister requires compensation for her time, I'm sure I can take care of that. I'm all that she has left and I won't leave her here in this city alone." Shiloh replied, her eyes narrowing dangerously at him.

"And what of the brute with you?"

"He merely accompanied us here. He's a bodyguard of sorts, but if I wanted to bring him with me, I would. After all, you have a bed warmer. So why can't I?"

Rhys stifled a chuckle as Lady Myra let out of furious sound of protest. Christano's cheeks flamed with indignation. "A word to the wise to you, young lady, I strongly caution you to watch your tongue in the presence of two holy warriors."

"I'll take note of that, my good sir."

"See that you do," Christano gritted, feeling quite perturbed as he gathered his things from the table. "Now how soon can we leave? Due to the fact we've already waited longer than we'd planned, I'd like to get under way as soon as possible."

"We're ready as soon as you are," Shiloh smiled, her eyes twinkling at Rhys.

"Good, good. Lady Myra and I must pack our belongings. How about we meet you at the docks? We have arranged for a boat that will allow us to travel to the Summer Islands in safety."

"We shall see you there then."

"Excellent!" Shiloh watched as Christano and Myra headed to their room upstairs. She took hold of Rhys's hand, leading him to the door with Shanna following behind them. They took their time, making their way to the docks, strolling along until they reached the big ship moored at the end of a long pier. They waited near it, watching for the paladin and his lady to appear. Shiloh snuggled into Rhys's larger body, feeling his body heat seep into her skin. A part of her wished that he were going. She would've like this opportunity to spend some quality time with him, but she understood the need he had to see Nicca in a safe place. Guilt plagued her for a moment. She hadn't spent much time with the girl as of late. She hadn't even been given the chance to say goodbye to her. She gazed up at Rhys with soulful eyes and he knew something was wrong.

"Talk to me, sweetness," he murmured softly.

"You're taking Nicca away and I won't have to chance to tell her goodbye. Will you give her a message for me?"

"Of course, I will, but she may still be here by the time you return. Just because I'll be making the arrangements doesn't mean that it'll be a done deal. You may yet get to see her off." Rhys replied as he embraced her tightly. He bent his head and lifted her feet off the ground a few inches, bringing her closer to him. He bestowed a desperate kiss upon her lips, filling it with everything he hadn't been able to say. "And in the case that she has to go before you return, I'll make sure she knows that she is in your thoughts and you wish her the best."

Shiloh nodded her head and wiped away a few tears, "I do. She's so sweet. I'd do anything for her."

"You're the big sister she never had, Shiloh. She needed you as much as you needed her, especially with the death of her mother and the twins. Your influence on her was considerable and I'm thankful for that. She's lost so much, but I think she's very strong and will weather this well. Her grandmother will take good care of her and see that she grows into a fine young woman. She'll make sure Nicca is happy. And it's not like you'll never see her again. We can make arrangements for you to visit her, too. I think that'll be good for the both of you."

"I'd like that. And since you brought up her mother and the twins, there's something you and I need to talk about concerning that," Shiloh punched him in the gut playfully. "You told me she was a cover, but that's not the whole truth. She was your wife in every way and those twins were fathered by you. Father Derthur told me all about it, and I saw the bed you shared with her. It was big enough to fit your half-giant height. Now if it started as a way to protect her after her husband died and blossomed into something more, that's fine, but you broke marriage vows to her when you bedded me. And then you told me that she was sweet on Ashur and you thought they'd marry soon? It's a bit confusing."

"We will talk about this soon, but surely you know that this isn't the right time or place. Yes, I did break marriage vows and she was aware of that. I told her everything. At first it angered her because she and I had a good relationship, but she forgave me once I explained the whole situation. It ripped my heart out when I found out Ashur had killed her and the twins. They were innocent. He did it to hurt me even more. Truthfully, she was quite fond of Ashur. I'd noticed the hungry looks between them and she confessed that she had bedded him as well. I was very fond of her. Did I love her? Not the way I should have. Not the way I love you. You're everything I've ever wanted."

Tears coursed down Shiloh's cheeks at his tender confession. She didn't know if she could truthfully say the same to him, but she couldn't bring herself to lie to him either. Rhys deserved better than that. He was far too good for her and she knew it, but she couldn't bring herself to give him up either. The tangled web she weaved was becoming even stickier. So she did the only thing she could do. She melted into his embrace and kissed him passionately. He responded in kind as her tongue dove in, intertwining with his as it played about teasingly. He could feel her breasts rub lightly up and down his chest as her hips rocked against his.

He pulled back with a chuckle, "You keep that up, little one, and we'll end making a spectacle of ourselves right here."

"I know, but your kisses are addictive and it makes me want so much more," she purred as she lightly stroked her hand down his chest.

"Get a room!" Shanna sneered, breaking the spell that had them enthralled. "Oh, too late. Here comes that lecherous man and his uptight lady. It's no wonder his eyes feast upon every other female but her."

Barking laughter spilled from Rhys' lips and he placed on last kiss on Shiloh's lips. "Take care of each other. I'll see you soon, my sweet. Would you mind if I have a half-giant sized bed moved into your apartment? I'd like to stay with you from here on out, if you'll have me."

"I'd like that. Here's the key. We'll need a bed for Shanna, too. But one that isn't incredibly soft," she smiled, remembering her sister's comment on her too soft feather bed.

"I can do that, sweetness. Have a safe journey, love." With a final kiss, Rhys walked away.

Be safe, dear Rhys, she thought to herself, if only I could love you the way I love Vico.

If only...