The Long Road To Ruin Ch. 50

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The soldier's backed off, though one dithered back and forth. "The Commander said you would say something to that effect, Lord Lyonson. He told me if that was the case then my orders would be to subdue by any means necessary. Commander Benthur wants the Princess."

Shiloh's brow furrowed, her mind racing. If only she had her swords. She knew she could make quick work of these two. Certainly defeating them would be a breeze. She chuckled as she realized she could use her state of undress at her advantage.

Abruptly she let out a squeal and dropped to the grimy wooden floor. She spread her legs, exposing her nether parts to the soldiers, "Ouch! I think something bit me." She tenderly caressed her nether lips, feeling around for the non-existent insect bite.

Both soldiers gaped out, slack-jawed as they were distracted by her charms. It gave Simon the chance to steal a longsword from one of the guards. Quickly, he slammed the blade into the gut of one of them, twisting and yanking upwards, shredding armor as well as the man's soft gut. He gurgled and spit blood, collapsing to the floor near Shiloh.

She rolled out of the way as Simon engaged the other guard. It soon became obvious that the guard was no match for Simon, who parried the guard's every strike before landing a hit of his own each time. The guard's footwork was sloppy, his attacks were weak and it seemed he lacked the smarts to dodge. Signaling to Simon, Shiloh crawled behind the guard, tripping him and allowing Simon to deliver the killing blow, a slash across the guard's exposed throat.

Quickly Simon stripped that guard of his armor and clothing, dressing himself while Shiloh watched. She winked at him, "Such a pity that you have to cover yourself. I was enjoying the view."

He grinned at her, "Sorry to disappoint you, my sweet. Do you think we would be able to find you something to clothe yourself in around here somewhere?"

Shiloh glanced around, "Hmmmm... well, if we take those stairs over there up a couple levels, we come to the wing where my old rooms were. I cleaned my closet out several months ago when I broke in here, but I recall I stashed a dress my father didn't like in my maid's closet. Now if it isn't in there, perhaps I can salvage something that used to be hers. Maybe this time I'll even locate her body."

Simon cocked an eyebrow, "Why are you concerned if you find her body or not?"

Shiloh flashed a dirty look at him, "Because she just wasn't my maid, Simon. She was also my half-sister. She had a twin named Shanna. I found Shanna's body and used a rod of resurrection to bring her back to life, but it saddened me that I couldn't find Shira. Shanna and Shira's mother ran the kitchens and my father had been having an affair with her for many, many years. Shanna's the only real family I have left. It'd be nice to find Shira, not that I currently have my rod."

"That's very noble of you to want to bring her back, sweetness, but you might run into the fact that it's been quite a while since she died and maybe her soul won't want to come back. Maybe you should leave well enough alone. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but it's the truth." A look of compassion graced his handsome face. In her heart, Shiloh knew he was right.

"I know, Simon. We should hurry. I have no doubt that Benthur will keep sending men after us, if he truly wants me bad enough. Makes me want to kill that bastard even more," She headed for the stairs, making her way upwards.

As they made their way to Shiloh's old rooms, she glanced around the empty hallways. A chill settled over her, reminding her of how much she missed this place and how much she'd lost. "Being here again, it gives me the creeps. I half expect ghosts to be wandering around. And it kills me to see this place in such a dilapidated state."

"I'm actually surprised that the upper floors haven't come down completely. Our men are always very accurate when it comes to destroying things." Simon replied as he caressed her hand, leading her past the decaying remains of a few soldiers.

"I can't believe they left the bodies here, though, just to rot." Shiloh shook her head as angry tears flooded her eyes.

Simon stroked her arm, comforting her tenderly. "I expect those were Benthur's orders to leave the bodies where they fell. It is a terrible disregard for human life, though. I'd have made sure all the bodies had been removed and burnt to prevent disease, but we know Benthur's a heartless prick. Besides, Shiloh, one day you may be glad that the castle's still standing. It's a lot cheaper to repair a structure of this size than building one from scratch."

She flashed a watery smile at him, "To be honest, I'm glad that the castle's still here. It's my last connection to my past, so to say."

He eyed her thoughtfully, "Do you not strive to become Queen of Betancuria?"

"I will be Queen someday. I've been thinking about that so much as of late. It's the only way Betancuria will find peace. I realize it all comes down to marrying the right person and then convincing the Emperor that I'm nothing like my idiot father."

"It isn't that unrealistic. You'd have to marry the right man. Lord Commander Mortenson would have made a proper match, for example. As your husband, he could justify his reign over Betancuria. And you wouldn't have to hide anymore." Simon replied, watching her face carefully.

"Oh hells no, there is no way in the nine fucking hells that I'd marry an old fart like Mortensen or a crazy bastard like Benthur." Then she winked at him, "I'd marry you, though."

Simon chuckled, "Is that a threat, my sweet?"

Shiloh playfully smacked him, "It might be. Seriously though, Simon, think about it. Let's assume for a moment that I'm serious. Would you?"

The blonde man grinned before stroking his chin. He looked her up and down for a moment. "I don't know. I'd have to think about it. 'Twould most likely annoy half the realm to no end, which might make it worth it."

Shiloh's eyes flashed dangerously, "Oh, so it's okay to fuck me, but like any man you evade like crazy when asked a serious question. I see how you are." She flounced away almost angrily, though truth be told, his answer stung her pride and broke her heart.

Simon caught up with her, pulling her into what used to be Shiloh's library, "What's wrong, Shiloh?" He wore a puzzled expression on his handsome face.

"Everything is wrong. I just want out of here. Being here is so hard, ya know. Everyone I ever loved is dead and gone," she hung her head, not wanting to admit how much his answer hurt her.

Simon pulled her into his arms, "It's more than that, Shiloh. Talk to me."

She shook her head, "Maybe, though why I thought you were different from every other asshole male is beyond me. You'd think I'd learn by now that sex is all any of you want and to the hells with everything else."

"Is that what this is all about? Sweetness..."

"Do not fucking call me that! I was being serious." She pulled away, slapping his hands aside.

He watched her closely as the emotions ran across her lovely face, "I don't know what you want me to say, Shiloh. I guess in some things I really am a romantic at heart. Did I ever tell you that the one woman I loved more than anything died in childbirth, my daughter as well?"

Shiloh nodded her head, "You mentioned that. So who was Catalynne to you?"

"Someone my father arranged for me to marry. I felt a mild affection for her, but I doubt I could ever say I loved her. I mourned her death, but that was it. You have your whole future ahead of you, sweetness. All I'm saying is it would be something to consider, but before we marry or any of that, we have to get out of here. So where was your maid's room?"

"It's the room on the other side of this one," Shiloh dried her eyes before sneaking out of the library. She made her way into what was Shira's room and opened the armoire. She dug through the dresses until she found the one she was looking for at the very back. Hastily she dressed before searching for stockings and shoes to go with it. She recalled that Shira had a pair of nice black kidskin boots. Shiloh found those in the bottom of the armoire.

Once she was fully dressed, she pulled out a heavy red woolen cloak and layered that over her dress. She then turned to Simon, "Ready whenever you are."

Simon nodded, motioning for her to lead the way out. From her old rooms, Shiloh led him back down to the kitchens through the servant's quarters and lower west wing to the grand entrance hall. The fountain that once bubbled with water now sat empty. Shiloh shook her head as she directed him past the main double doors to a smaller set off to the side. She figured the main door might be guarded, but the postern door probably wouldn't be.

To her relief, she had chosen correctly. Once outside in the yard, she led him back towards the gardens where she knew to be an escape route. They crept through the shadows, avoiding many of Benthur's men and their dogs. Much to her surprise, the ladder still stood against the wall. She knew they'd be able to use it to climb over the wall. Though she didn't relish diving into the moat, it was the only way out. Freedom was within their grasp.

"This way," Shiloh smiled as she led him towards the ladder, but they didn't get far. Three heavily armed commandos wearing black and red armor manifested from seemingly thin air, surrounding them. Shiloh let out a foul curse. An older man with grey hair and sharp features seemed to be in charge of the three. He calmly trained an eye on Simon and Shiloh, studying both briefly.

The he slowly lifted a hand up, "Hold on. We mean no harm." A smile crossed his aged features as he turned his gaze solely upon Simon. "M'lord Lyonson. I'm glad that we have finally found you. We've been searching everywhere for you."

Shiloh noticed the change in Simon's body language immediately as he seemed to move from high alert to casual indifference within the span of a few breaths. His face took on a calmer visage, "Commander Klennard, if I'm not mistaken?" Simon spoke up, relaxing even further.

Shiloh remained rigid, though. The fight or flight reflex hummed through her, sparking through her synapses and setting her nerve endings on fire. She didn't like being surrounded by this many Dhorn soldiers, even if Simon did know them. She couldn't be too careful, especially without any weapons.

"Indeed. I am glad to see you here, Your Lordship. And alive and in one piece, at that," Klennard replied with a look of relief on his face.

Simon stepped forward, placing himself between Shiloh and Klennard's men, "I am glad that you feel that way, Commander."

"It will undoubtedly please you to learn that we have secured your equipment, Your Lordship. One of my men has already taken it back to the hunting lodge." Klennard stated before addressing Shiloh, "I assume these items belong to you?" He motioned to one of the other men, who handed Shiloh a satchel containing the things which had been left behind in the vault room due to the polymorphing spell.

She quickly glanced over the items within, making a quick mental tally, sighing with great relief as she spied the black scrap of cloth. Thank the stars, her portable hole was within her things. "Yes, my good man, these are the things I'd left behind in the vault room. My thanks."

Simon raises his eyebrow at the man, "You've been to the vault room, Commander?"

"Yes, we have. Your Lordship, I do not have to tell you of the consequences, should your involvement in the affair at the treasury become public. His Grace has explicitly stated that he wishes all necessary actions are taken in order to keep the situation under control."

A grin crossed Simon's handsome face, "You mean my father's afraid that his enemies might use this little theft against him."

Klennard held a neutral look as he gazed upon Simon, "I only serve the Emperor, Your Lordship. It is not my place to question His orders."

"I suppose that's true. Not many are willing to risk questioning my father's orders," Simon replied, turning towards Shiloh as he spoke. He watched as a wide range of emotions flickered across her face. Shock, disbelief, anger, uncertainty and finally what he thought might have been acceptance flashed through her features as he was sure he could hear the wheels turning in her mind.

Shiloh took a step or two backwards, her jaw working as the clues her brain pieced together hit her like a ton of bricks. "To the hells with you, Simon. You fucking bastard. You never thought at any point during this little escapade that maybe it would be important to tell me the truth. To tell me you're Emperor Dhorn's son."

Simon eyed her calmly, a tiny smirk gracing his face at her outburst. He adored her spitfire nature. "His fourth-born, yes."

Accusing sapphire eyes flashed, "How could you not tell me?"

"Maybe because I knew this would be your reaction. Just calm down, will you?" Simon replied, gritting his teeth and praying her strident voice hadn't brought Benthur's men racing after them.

"Oh, fuck you and your cheap answer," she retorted, as she pinched the bridge of her nose. "I suppose I should have seen it coming. Part of me suspected it. I guess I just didn't want to see the truth that was right in front of me the whole time. Just don't be thinking I'm going to bow down and kiss your ass. It doesn't change a thing."

"I wouldn't dream of asking you to bow down, sweetness," he purred at her, winking.

Shiloh scoffed at him as her brain worked furiously over her plans to seize the Betancurian throne for herself. As Simon and Klennard continued talking, she was busying plotting. Their earlier conversation replayed in her head,"Do you not strive to become Queen of Betancuria?"

"I will be Queen someday. I've been thinking about that so much as of late. It's the only way Betancuria will find peace. I realize it all comes down to marrying the right person and then convincing the Emperor that I'm nothing like my idiot father."

"It isn't that unrealistic. You'd have to marry the right man. Lord Commander Mortenson would have made a proper match, for example. As your husband, he could justify his reign over Betancuria. And you wouldn't have to hide anymore."

"Oh hells no, there is no way in the nine fucking hells that I'd marry an old fart like Mortensen or a crazy bastard like Benthur." Then she winked at him, "I'd marry you, though."

Simon chuckled, "Is that a threat, my sweet?"

Shiloh playfully smacked him, "It might be. Seriously though, Simon, think about it. Let's assume for a moment that I'm serious. Would you?"

The blonde man grinned before stroking his chin. He looked her up and down for a moment. "I don't know. I'd have to think about it. 'Twould most likely annoy half the realm to no end, which might make it worth it."

Shiloh grinned as she focused back on Simon once more, still engrossed in the conversation with Klennard, who was rubbing his chin as he spoke, "My men are going to erase all evidence that you've been here, Your Lordship. We are going to guide you back to your estates in Dhorn, making sure nobody in Betancuria spots you."

Simon cocked an eyebrow, "Erase all evidence means you'll kill Mortenson's men?"

Klennard nodded, "With the exception of Commander Benthur. By your father's wish, he's going to take Lord Commander Mortenson's place in the city. Peron's body has already been cremated."

"Simon," Shiloh spoke up. "I need to speak to you. Now."

"One moment, my darling. Klennard, you do realize that Benthur tried to kill me, yes? Just how do you think my father will respond to that tidbit of information? I highly doubt he'd reward such a criminal. In fact, I believe he'd be downright displeased."

"I suppose that will be up to your father to decide. As it stands now, Commander Benthur will state that a group of local thieves tried to steal the treasure from Castle Betancuria's vault, and begin a thorough investigation. He also insisted that the Princess is brought to him as well."

Simon's eyebrow cocked a bit higher, "Benthur insisted? Is that so?"

"Simon," Shiloh repeated, her voice lowering to a near hiss. "NOW!"

Simon brushed her off momentarily as Klennard spoke again, "Commander Benthur means to marry the Princess. His Grace has given His consent already. The marriage might help restore order and peace in Betancuria."

"Excuse me, but Commander Benthur will never pacify Betancuria. The only thing such a marriage will result in is my death." Shiloh blurted out before she turned to Simon, her eyes blazing righteous fury, "You promised me. I will not marry that man. Now, I think you and I need to have a little private discussion and don't you dare ignore me again." She angrily strode a few dozen paces away from the small group. She entered the gardener's shed, brushing away the thick cobwebs dangling from the ceiling.

"What is wrong with you, Shiloh? Are you trying to get us killed?" Simon accused as he entered a few moments later.

"Don't you even dare speak to me like that! Dammit, Simon, I trusted you. And you repay me like this. Well, I have news for you. I will not be led like a lamb to the slaughter. I will not stand idly by and let that bastard claim what is rightfully mine." She retorted, her face still full of fury. Her eyes flashed dangerously.

"If you hadn't shot off your mouth and stormed off the way you always do, you'd have heard Klennard's response. He wasn't charged with bringing you to Benthur. He said and I quote, 'If you haven't seen the Princess, neither have we.' You can't let your anger rule you, sweetness."

"Don't even try to sweet talk me." She stuck out her lower lip, pouting as she brought her arms and crossed them in front of her heaving chest, tucking her hands beneath her armpits.

He chuckled, "You are quite the little hellcat, aren't you? I do believe I shall have such fun trying to tame you."

"No man will ever tame me, Simon," she stuck her tongue out at him.

An amused smile crossed his face, "So what did you need to speak to me about, my sweet?"

Shiloh stopped glaring at him long enough to rein in her chaotic thoughts. She paced back and forth across the width of the small shed. "I had a thought as Commander Klennard was saying he would see you safely back to your estates in Dhorn. To the point, you are your father's fourth son, correct?"

Simon nodded his head, "Yes, I have 3 older brothers, though one of them in the High Cleric of Dhorn and not in line for the throne."

"So that leaves two ahead of you and from what I understand, your father is far from relinquishing his throne to his heir, correct? So what if you didn't have to stand in line to assume a throne of your own? I don't know if that's even something you've ever wanted, but if it were within your grasp, why not take it? As for me, I'm a princess in need of a husband, but I can't accept anyone less than a prince. I need someone with the clout to get me before your father. I think you and I can come to an arrangement that will be beneficial to both of us. It would mean we would have to marry, but given the amazing chemistry between us it won't be a hardship for either of us. You'd then be able to thwart Benthur's plans and fulfill your promise to me. I'd be able to reclaim my rightful throne and bring peace to Betancuria. We can do this, Simon."

"So am I a means to an end for you, Shiloh?" Simon asked, gazing upon her thoughtfully.

"No, Simon, just no. I wouldn't use you like that. I just can't even begin to imagine a future without you in it. I know you probably won't believe me, but I swear to you I'm telling you the truth. It took me a while to believe it myself. I fell in love with you the first time I saw you. Why do you think I got so damned upset earlier in the castle when we spoke of marrying?"