The Long Road To Ruin Ch. 51

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Nobody is going to exchange anybody for anything," Alfons roared. His anger turned his ruddy face almost purple, but the room quieted again.

"The little whore isn't worth protecting any more, Alfons. What has she done for us other than brought more death?" Cata tried to reason, glancing around the room. "Can any of you really say she's been good for us since Nathan took her in? Look at what she's wrought upon us! We're hunted more than ever, despite Nathan's best efforts to remain low-key. She's murdered, taken advantage of Nathan, nearly killed Vico and has made a mockery of who we are. We just need to hand her over to someone who will see she doesn't harm anyone else."

"You've had your say, Cata. Now, be quiet so we can make plans," the great bear of a man sighed wearily. He tired of this debate and wanted to get on with the rescue. The longer the captured were in Dhorn custody, the more torture they'd be subjected to.

"No, Alfons, I haven't finished with my say. The Dhorn really want the bitch. I spoke to them right after you sent her into the King's Forest."

Vico's temper exploded as he backhanded Cata as hard as he could, spitting on her as she collapsed in a heap to the floor, "You fucking cunt! How dare you?"

Cata glared at him as she pushed herself back to her feet. "Listen to yourself, Vico. She betrayed you how many times and almost killed you? Yet you defend her. I never thought I'd see the day when your loyalty was to her cunt and not the people who have stood beside you all these years."

The blackguard rested one hand on Kinslayer's pommel as he flipped his middle digit at her, "My loyalty is to Nathan, cunt."

Alfons shook his head, "I can't believe you did that. Do you want to get the rest of us killed?"

"Don't you see, Alfons? It's that simple. All we do is give the bitch to them! Then we'll all be free, free to do whatever we want!"

"Don't tell me you really trust the Dhorn to pardon you, Cat!" Alfons turned to the others, "Arto Benthur will never pardon you! To him we're just a group of thugs and thieves to squash! And even if...do you think they'll just let you go back to smuggling, gambling and whoring? You've all seen what he does to people like us! We'd end up hung for those crimes."

Cata shook her head vehemently, "Don't you see? The gold would allow those of us who wish to leave Betancuria to pay for their passage. And those of us who want to stay can start another career with the money."

"Well, I hear th' weath'r be much bett'r a' Min-Toras th's seas'n..." Drago quipped.

"Assuming you live to see it," added Vico as he fondled the pommel of his sword. It was clear to see the blackguard was not happy about any of this.

Cynn flashed a pleading look at him, "Vico, please..." she started, gazing up at him with wide, dark eyes as she rested her hand on Vico's arm and gestured at Shiloh with her other. "We're your family. She's a noble! What have they ever done for us? You surely won't turn against your family because of her? She almost killed you. She has used you time and time again."

Vico sneered at her, "Save your spittle for your clients, Cynn."

His rebuttal was met with a gasp as she withdrew her hand, unbelieving that he would remain so loyal to the one who had been at the center of his current woes.

Having heard enough of the bickering, Pia loosed another thunderclap from her repertoire of spells, boldly stating, "I will defend Shiloh with my life, if necessary. None of you will harm her."

Alfons shook his head, "You're fools if you trust someone like Arto Benthur!"

Kenny Snyderlias responded with a sneer, "And you are a fool if you want to free Nathan from that prison island! You're a fool to trust that whore."

Cata shook her head, "Nathan is as good as dead and you risk more of us by not handing her over. We can't know if this Dhorn lordling can do as he says. He admitted the Emperor intends to wed the whore to Benthur so why save this ridiculous journey there and just give him what he wants. We all need not die."

Alfons held up his right arm, his hand extended and pointed straight at her, "Are you outside your mind, Cat? Stop talking like that! Where would you be if not for Nathan? Most of us wouldn't be here, wouldn't even be alive, I dare say, if not for him! The least we can do is see that he is freed, but we can't do it alone. I bear no love for those red bastards, but if Shiloh can succeed, we need to support her."

Cata shook her head, "Forget her plan! How can any of you believe she'll be any different of a ruler than her father was? Look at how many of us have died because of her, by her hand as well as by the one hunting her. I say we hand the whore over. Then once the money is in our hands we decide what to do about Nathan."

Barely controlled rage simmered just beneath the surface of Alfons' cool façade, "Benthur and his ilk will kill you before he parts with that much money. He killed Tarleth in cold blood just to prove a point to Shiloh."

The assassin curled her upper lip at him, "I've spoken with them on numerous occasions. And here I am, still."

Alfons drew his sword from its sheath, "I won't allow you to lead our people to their graves, Cata. There are too few of us left. We can't afford this schism you are forcing upon us."

"You and that whore are the ones who are dividing us," she stood her ground firmly, her eyes darting back and forth. Her head still hurt from Vico's vicious backhand. She knew it was only a matter of time before the blackguard struck her again.

Kenny walked over to Cata's side, glancing at the others around him, "I agree with Cata. That bitch has never been one of us, not really. Who's with us?"

"This is crazy. We have to stick together," Alfons retorted as he watched Taka and Simo join with Kenny and Cata.

Dara joined Cata, "No, Cata's the only one making sense here. Shiloh has never cared for us. She killed Paurie and Mick heartlessly. They didn't deserve to die like that."

"Sorry, lass..." Dalino shrugged as he joined Cata as well. Shiloh shook her head as she crossed her arms in front of her chest. It didn't have to come to this. She didn't want to have any more of Family blood on her hands. Simon noticed the set of her mouth, the intensity of body language and the coldness in her eyes. He leaned in, planting a soft kiss on her forehead. "It'll be alright, my sweet."

Alfons glanced at the rest of the people gathered, "Drago?"

The dark-skinned smuggler with dreadlocks flowing over his broad shoulders leveled a long, pondering glance upon Shiloh. She was a pain in the ass, for sure, but Nathan trusted her. "S'rry, Cat. But I don' be trustin' them Dhorn eith'r. I t'ink she c'n pull off h'r crazy pl'n."

A curt nod was then exchanged between the blackguard and the smuggler. Following it, Cynn skulked over to Vico. She rested her head against his shoulder, "You will actually give us money to live on while you and he head off to get hitched?"

Shiloh nodded her head as she pulled out the black square cloth that was her portable hole. She tossed it to the floor at her feet. "Everyone might want to back up," she quipped as she spread it out completely, revealing the large extra-dimensional space. It was near full of coins, jewelry, gems, statuary, clothing, weapons and armor. Reaching in, she plucked a good sized pouch and handed it to Cynn. "That should contain a few hundred gold coins. I can give you more as well. I fully intend to share the five million coins I garnered from the castle yesterday."

Lenton shook his head, "I still believe that Shiloh's plan to marry her way to her throne isn't too bright, but I'll be damned if I ever put more trust in someone like Benthur than in my family."

Cata sneered at him, "You're only taking her side because she fucked you. Do you truly think you were the one she wanted that night? Warent had the good sense to stay away from her."

"I hate to break it to you, but no, he didn't. He was right there with me." Lenton shot back. "Sorry to kiss and tell, Shiloh, but it's the truth."

"No offense taken, Lenton," Shiloh smiled, "If you and your wife need anything, just let me know."

He grinned cheekily, "How about a job in the castle once you and your husband have reclaimed it?"

Simon chuckled, "I think we can arrange that, young man."

"Lenton's right," Yance agreed, moving over behind Vico. "There's no way in the hells I'd ever put more trust in someone like Benthur than in my family."

Perto and Pett nodded as they joined Yance. Pett grinned, "I've always had a soft spot for pretty little Shiloh and that's not going to change."

Kenny glared, addressing the people by Shiloh's side. "You must be blind that you don't see how she bewitches you all! Oh, sure, she has those sweet oh-so-innocent-looks about her, but all she really cares for is herself! She'll bring you to your doom! Just like her father did! If you cared for the Family, you'd stand on our side! The bitch never was a member of the Family, and never will be! She's bewitched Nathan, made him believe she was his adopted daughter. She probably fucked him again and again until he finally gave in! And now he's paid the price!"

"That's where you are wrong." Vico got up in Kenny's face, "She is one of us and anyone who says otherwise can have a taste of my blade."

"I never slept with Nathan," Shiloh retorted. "I was too busy with Vico, for the most part. We have to stop this. My plan will work. His Grace has no reason not to believe me once I've presented my case to him. I'm not my father. I have no desire to expand my lands. I just want to be the kind of ruler he never could. And everyone will benefit. Nathan will be released. We'll reform the Family. Hell, I'll give Nathan free reign to do as he pleases. I'll open the brothels back up in hopes that it'll alleviate the throng of desperate sailors at the docks. Once we get Mando back, I'll put him in charge of that. And I'll need someone to head up my armies. I'll need Vico as my Commander. And Pia, you'll be my court bard. Alfons and Nathan will serve as advisors. We will have peace, but not at the expense of more of us dying."

"I believe Shiloh can accomplish this. She's never let me down before." Alfons stated, motioning at the group of men standing behind Cata. "So what's it going to be, Cat? Do you truly wish to start a fight amongst us? Is that why you've brought those endearing gentlemen with you?"

Cata fixed her cold dark eyes upon Shiloh, "I won't let the whore slip through my fingers. You can be sure of that. The rest of you can get out of here."

But not a sole moved.

"Alright, then die with the cunt!"

"Stop this now!" Shiloh moved close to Cata, getting right up in her face, "There's no need for more bloodshed amongst us, but if it's a fight you want, a fight you'll get. I propose a duel between you and me. If I lose to you, or if I surrender, you can hand me over to Benthur. Everyone else walks away free, including Simon and his men. If you lose, or surrender, we go ahead with my plan. There are too few of us left and whether or not any of you believe I belong, I don't wish death on any of us. Do you agree?"

"This should be child's play. Be sure to kiss your boy-toy goodbye because you won't be leaving here with him," Cata cackled, as she drew her blades.

Shiloh felt Simon's hand at her elbow. She glanced at him, turning on the balls of her feet to face him. Outwardly he seemed confident and sure of her abilities, but for a split second she swore she could see worry ripple across the deep blue depths of his eyes. She took a moment to revel in the strength of his embrace as his arms enclosed her. The following kiss made it seem as if the room had disappeared and only they remained. With lips locked, they gave into their passions. The sound of a throat clearing broke the sanctity of the moment. Shiloh reluctantly pulled away, caressing Simon's jaw. "I'll be fine," she whispered. She then reached for Bloodlust and Darkstar as all who had gathered backed up to give them space. Alfons moved to Shiloh's side, "Are you sure you want to do this? Cat isn't known for fighting fair."

"I beat Vico, didn't I? She doesn't even come close to our dark knight," Shiloh winked.

"Just don't get too overconfident, lass. I would hate for that to be your downfall," he added before he moved away from her, joining Simon and Vico at the forefront of the crowd. He shook his head, worry written all over his haggard face, before he turned his gaze to the blackguard and murmured softly, "I don't think she knows what she's getting into. Gods help us all if she fails."

"My lil' birdie won't fail. No one believed she could bring me down, but she did. She's a survivor. She has more tenacity than anyone I've ever known. She'll be fine," Vico commented as his dark gaze remained on Shiloh. He watched as she and Cata circled each other, sizing each other up. He knew both of the women quite intimately. Both were prone to bouts of craziness, but he knew Shiloh had managed to garner some control over her emotions. That in itself made him proud of her. Say what you will of her, but at the end of the day, she would always find a way to end up at the top.

It came as no surprise to either Vico or Shiloh that a blood-curdling scream tore from Cata's blood red painted lips as she lunged at Shiloh, her blades held at chest level in a white knuckle grip. The scream was meant to rattle her; Shiloh knew that much as she brought her blades up to parry Cata's twin strikes. Metal rang on metal, sending a few sparks flying. She shoved Cata back, evading the assassin's next attack. Feint left. Slash. Parry. Back-flipping as Cata attempted to sweep Shiloh's legs out from under her. Shiloh landed on her feet before she tucked into a roll, reversing her grip on her blades as she popped up driving them into Cata's unguarded back. The assassin cried out, her body jerking violently. The devastating backstab had the desired effect.

Shiloh spun blades within her palms once more as she brought them up to Cata's throat. "Surrender, bitch and I may be persuaded to let you live."

"Never," Cata snarled, using the momentary lapse in Shiloh's defense to duck out of sight. It put Shiloh back on her game, as she rocked on the balls of her feet. Though the noise within the small house had grown substantially, it forced Shiloh to focus. She tuned her hearing, blocking out everything else. The scuffle of boots on the wooden floor, the heavy wheeze as her foe inhaled a breath, the scent of iron on the air that told Shiloh she had wounded Cata. Anticipation made the hairs on her neck prickle. She knew Cata was sneaking near her. Shiloh forced her breathing to even out, listening as she slowly pivoted on the balls of her feet. She felt a rush of calmness flow over her, seeping into her skin. Her gaze panned the room, feeling a momentary fluctuation of synergy on the air. A power shift that drew her like a beacon.

In the back corner of the room she caught sight of a flicker and knew what it was. Or who it was. Ni'as had made his presence known to her. Not the best time, but his power bolstered her slightly. Shiloh was certain that Cata had called upon Hyath's power. She knew that's what Alfons meant by the assassin not fighting fair. Ni'as wasn't giving anything overt, but him just being there made her feel more confident. She could do this.

A barely audible shuffling sounded to her left. Shiloh feinted right, tumbling backwards then spun immediately as she found her feet again. Swiftly she slashed one of her blades in an arc before her, grinning widely as it found purchase, sinking into flesh as smoothly as if it were hot butter. Cata jerked as she became visible once more, wide eyed surprise at the blood flowing from the wound across her abdomen. Another blood curdling scream came forth from her lips as she slashed at Shiloh's neck. Shiloh made a move to duck away, hissing as the point of Cata's blade raked against the skin of her upper chest. The small cut sliced through leather, and Shiloh could feel the sting of something burning the edges of the wound. Poison, the bitch was using poison.

She kicked out at Cata, planting her foot squarely upon the assassin's belly wound before following it up by burying Bloodlust into the meat of Cata's thigh. Shiloh dropped to the floor on purpose, luring the assassin in. When Cata took the bait Shiloh scissor-kicked, sweeping Cata's feet on from underneath her, bringing her crashing down. It was then Shiloh pounced, kipping up into a front flip and driving her swords straight down into Cata's chest, piercing her heart and lungs. "No one calls me a whore and gets away with it," Shiloh spat as she slit her throat, finishing her off. She staggered to her feet, heading towards Simon. As she practically collapsed in his arms, she rasped, "Tell me someone has an antidote..."

The room around her went black.

...

Simon cradled her lovingly as he glanced over at Vico and Alfons. He placed her on the floor gently, "Just don't stand there. She said she needs an antidote. That bitch must've smeared her blades with poison."

Vico grabbed up Cata's daggers, examining them closely, "Fuck!"

Alfons quickly turned his gaze to the blackguard, "What was she using, Vico? Devilsbane? K'ar-tuz poison? Vel'xunyrr Z'ress?"

Vico shook his head, "Worse. It's rare, something the dark elves call 'Venorik Elghinn.' Silent Death."

Alfons closed his eyes as he hung his head. Silent Death... he'd never heard of anyone surviving such poison. He wasn't even sure there was an antidote for it. "Search Cata's body. See if she has anything to counter it."

Vico's search was quick, as he dumped the contents of Cata's pack and belt pouch onto the floor. He shook his head as he looked back at Alfons. "Someone will need to return to the city and search her home as well as Jacia's. I'm sure that's the source. Pett, Simo, I want you both to go, move swiftly, and to the hells with anyone that gets in your way. Silent Death is only countered by one thing. It's a distillation of nymph's blood, unicorn horn and fey dust. When the ingredients are mixed, it turns into a silver fluid. I'm fairly sure she had acquired those items."

Pett glanced down at Shiloh, noting that her skin looked the color of old parchment, "We won't fail you, Vico."

"I'll cut your balls off if you come back empty handed or get caught. Now go," the blackguard growled before he crouched down beside Shiloh.

"How quickly does this poison usually kill?" Simon ventured as he stared Vico down. He knew some of the history between Shiloh and the man before him, though he found it curious why the man acted as he did. If he'd been in Vico's shoes and Shiloh had done what she did, he wasn't sure he'd be so forgiving.

"If it's a concentrated enough dose, death is usually instant. She's showing many of the signs, the mottling of her skin, the whites of her eyes are yellowing." Vico pried open her jaw, getting a good look at her mouth. "Her tongue has swollen. I'm surprised she hasn't tried to swallow it or hasn't begun convulsing yet. She's already feverish. Something is holding back the effects from fully manifesting."

The air shimmered next to Vico as Ni'as appeared, "That would be me." The once avatar of Bastian materialized fully, his form taking on the appearance of a black-haired, dark-eyed, bronze-skinned male in gleaming obsidian armor. "I am Ni'as."

"And what do you want, fiend?" Vico's lip curled as he sneered at avatar's appearance.

"Tut-tut-tut, blackguard, you with a sneer on your lips...my lord may be gone, but I hold some power still. I can keep the poison at bay, but in order to do so I must possess her to keep her from succumbing completely until the antidote arrives," Ni'as replied, as he gazed down at Shiloh. She'd grown even paler, her lips turning grey.