The Lost Lord Ch. 26

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"...You desire to cut me again? I will give those desires a chance." Zazie said as she stood still, accepting End's challenge. She noted that Lyndworm didn't give off the dangerous vibe from before, which seemed odd to Zazie. Would he not increase the infusion of light in the sword? That would be what most opponents would do when facing a demon.

"You seem confused. I took your words to heart when you said you were not entirely a demon. I thought, 'Just how could a demon not be a demon?' Then something hit me..." End smiled, clearly enjoying their fight.

End pulled his sword off to his left and closed his eyes while a warm expression overtook his face. "Graaaaaaaaaaagh!" And with a furious roar, End violently pulled the sword towards Zazie. The massive eight-meter sword didn't make a single sound as it cut through the air, which was strange to Zazie, too strange.

Zazie put up both of her arms, ready to block the blow once again, though the unthinkable happened. Lyndworm passed through Zazie's arms and body. Zazie widened her eyes as the sword passed through Zazie's body, even all the spectators stood still with dropped jaws and bulging eyes.

The effects were instantaneous. Zazie no longer felt the need to dispense justice. She no longer felt her increased strength and power. She no longer personified justice. The effects of the card wore off and Astraea's presence was literally cut away from Zazie's body.

Zazie quickly regained her composure. It just wouldn't do to keep her enemy waiting in her surprise. "...May I ask what did you do to me? Though I can already assume what happened, please elaborate."

End dipped his head in acknowledgement, "Very well, miss. Like I said, I can change the Ravager's enchantments if I infuse enough of my strength, I did just that. I turned this sword into an exorcist's blade. I cut away the presence that possessed your body. Though I know not what possessed you, I must admit, it was quite a conundrum to figure out. Now, I don't suppose you will grace me with the secret behind your power?" End asked politely. Strange, even though he slaughtered friend and foe alike, Zazie could not find it within herself to truly hate him.

"...Would you mind if I do not?"

"No."

"Then, [Judgment]." Zazie pulled out her final battle card. She wanted to reserve this card's power for Arazra, but it turned out End proved to be an exceptional opponent.

End watched, mystified as Zazie pulled out a strange tarot card, like before, from a deck between her hands into the sky. The card floated into the air and expanded thrice its size. Zazie placed her hand on top of the floating card and pushed her hand into it. End half expected Zazie's hand to poke through to the other side of the card, but he knew that that was far too logical in this battlefield. One must embrace illogical circumstances in order to survive in the circles.

Then, End, for the first time, felt something to be fearful of. Zazie reached into the space her card created all the way to her shoulder and then some. Zazie released another one of her rare mischievous smiles and retracted her arm, pulling out her final trump card.

Zazie pulled out a sword. The card dissipated into particles once Zazie fully pulled out the lengthy sword. Though it wasn't anywhere near as long as End's Lyndworm, Zazie's sword was at least two meters long, with twenty-five of those centimeters belonging to the sword's hilt. The sword seemed simple in make, double-edged, diamond tip, and made of a silver colored metal. Its pommel was anointed with a single dark ruby. The hilt was wrapped in brown strips of toughened leather. The guard was double pointed with small metal spheres attached to each end. And last but not least, was the inexplicable aura the sword released.

There were two sides to the sword's feeling. On one hand, it felt dark, sinful, and malicious. One the other hand, it felt holy, virtuous, and compassionate. A sword that fell from grace, yet refused to be leave behind its power. There was a legend of this sword, that it fell from grace once it was embedded in a wall in France from the human world.

"Again, Zazie... Just what are you?" Asmodea could not help but feel separated from Zazie as a whole. As if the two succubi could not exist in the same group.

End didn't frown. In fact, he just widened his smile and opened up to reveal a set of white teeth that contrasted against his crimson head. "I know that sword. I remember feeling part of it when I was still a part of my master, War. That sword, it's the legendary sword of the holy demon? Durandal."

Apart from the speculations and legends from the human world, there was a small tale that remained in the magical societies of the human world and other realms. That a demon performed the impossible and transcended his Sin. Just like how an angel falls from grace, the demon rose from his sin. Though such a process proved to be impossible in the end, and that legendary demon died after seconds of receiving holy virtue, resulting in a body that held both Virtue and Sin. The demon disintegrated into nothingness, but his sword remained, which he had named Durandal.

Yes, [Judgment]'s power summoned that sword, Durandal.

"...If you know of his name, I'm sure you know of his sharpness. It is second to no other cutting weapon in existence." Zazie took on an air of confidence that seemed out of place on the violet succubus. "...I declare this, there is nothing in this world that I cannot cut. Not even your sword. Will you accept this little challenge?" Zazie smiled sweetly. She decided that she wasn't going to lose here, not when her beloved was going to fight on her behalf and retake the [World].

End gulped and forced himself to smile. He breathed deeply and relaxed. "If you say that, then I will give this sword the property to defend against anything. I declare this: There is nothing in this world that I cannot block with this sword! I accept your little challenge."

The world paused. Asmodea once again couldn't fathom the exchange between the two. She stood on edge as she watched the confrontation between the absolute existences. The sword whose sharpness can cut through anything and the sword whose defense can block anything. Asmodea smiled, as she already knew who was going to win. It was simple logic. One needed to embrace not only the illogical, but also the logical if one wanted to survive in this world.

Zazie waited for End to change the properties of his sword again to an unstoppable defense. With a single smirk, Zazie saw that End was ready to receive her attack. She swung Durandal at both of her sides, testing the weight of the sword. "...It's been awhile since I used you." The violet succubus told herself as she pointed the sword at End.

Zazie sprinted at End, dragging Durandal along, the tip scraping the ground. On a side note, as Zazie wore a fairly long dress, her fast paced sprints and running was assisted by a small friction spell that basically allowed Zazie to slide along the ground with her boots.

When only three meters remained between the two, Zazie slashed Durandal at End, who met with Zazie's challenge by pulling up the massive Lyndworm. A loud explosive sound violently shook the arena when the two swords clashed. Durandal seemed to push into Lyndworm with great might, trying to cut through the blade imbued with unsurpassable durability.

The phrase bigger is better is uttered quite often among the denizens of the Land of Lust, however, the exchange between Zazie and End proved it wrong.

Durandal, in one fell swoop, cut through Lyndworm, removing more than six meters of the blade from the hilt. Due to the sudden loss of matter, Lyndworm reverted back to the Ravager.

Durandal didn't stop with cutting through Lyndworm, its course continued on by slicing open End's snow white chest. However, that wound proved unable to put End down to an eternal sleep. He coughed up some blood and spat it out before speaking to Zazie with the same tone as before, "Amazing, I honestly can't believe it." End reflexively pulled his weapon arm to his chest in a feeble attempt to save some of his blood.

"...It is simple, really." Zazie replied nonchalantly.

"Do tell."

"...Your Ravager is basically a copy of impenetrable defense while my Durandal is the real thing of absolute cuts. Giving your weapon the enchantment of unsurpassed defense pails in comparison to a soul weapon with the actual enchantment."

"Hahaha! I guess I got too confident. Well, I give up, you may do with me as you wish."

Zazie seemed undaunted by the strange surrender of End, much to Asmodea's confusion. End obviously had plenty of strength left to fight. And it wasn't like his soul weapon couldn't be used anymore.

"...I don't really feel like killing you."

"Well, I do, End, I'm deeply disappointed by your failure." A familiar voice entered the scene, Arazra.

Boom!

A literal blob of molten rock rammed itself into End's crimson head, sending him crashing to the ground. Zazie swept aside the magma, but End was already knocked out. At least he wasn't dead... Yet.

Arazra flew down into the arena scarred by End and Zazie. Black wings flapping behind his back, a visual reminder that he had an advantage over every other colored demon in terms of power. "I was just visiting the other two openings, only to find Sadism, Maturity, and the two concubines. None of them were much of a match for me. And here I was hoping that Zazie betrayed me so that she could fight me head on. I guess you don't really care about this then." Arazra rambled as he pulled out a familiar card from a spot next to his heart, the [World].

Zazie raised her hand, trying to pull the card to her using a simple connection between her and her cards. Though Arazra held the card too tightly between his fingers, and the top of the card just fluttered around, desperate to free itself.

"Oh no! It looks like you can't take it back yet! And here I thought your switching sides, finally I might add, was all part of some major plan. Your pitiful little attempt barely passes my eye. Hmmm, maybe I dispense punishment and abuse this card's power a little bit?"

"...Don't you dare..." Zazie seethed.

Asmodea flew down to Zazie's position and kept her sword at the ready, pointed at Arazra. Asmodea knew there was no way she could defeat Arazra in frontal combat, but she at least wanted to protect Zazie who all along actually never betrayed the previous lord's wishes.

"Oh, it's Asmodea. Well, ignoring the red bitch... Don't you dare what? What could you even do to me? Once I found out this object's power, I knew I just had to have it in order to win this war. Let's see, come on, [World], let's see you GET ANGRY!" Arazra roared as he raised the [World] into the air.

The card glowed and ethereal swirls of a jelly-like substance turbulently burst forth from the card.

Grrraaaaaaaaashhhhh!

"What in the..." Asmodea stared dumbstruck. Nothing that happened in the fight between End and Zazie could prepare her for this. Never once in her long life as a demon had a fantastical sight like this ever occurred, not even in stories.

The [World] changed the world, literally.

In front of the city, was a large plain filled with fragrant and lovely gardens placed there to welcome visitors. As the front entrance was the only way in the city (secret back entrance excluded), the mountains were so high, that no flying creature has ever been able to fly through their passes. Yet, where there was once a flatland, appeared multiple tall mountains covered in snow peaks and forests. Mountains sprouted out of the ground and merged with their tall neighbors.

"...Arazra... You should not use that card."

Arazra just raised an eyebrow and released a throaty laugh, dwarfing all of the cries and woes of the soldiers of both sides staring at the sight. "GAHAHAHAHA! And why shouldn't I? Tools are made to be used. What use is there in letting this card rot! I plan on taking advantage of this useful gift very much. And with that new addition to the mountain range, looks like no reinforcements can stop me from taking over this city! No Nergal! No Iris! Not even that pretender can get past those mountains! Yea, I heard he went to go rescue his little witch. Of course, if he did make it back in the city, it will be a simple matter to execute that upstart."

Zazie grit her teeth, there was no need to reveal that Rainer was inside the city, and with a plan to take back the [World]. If Arazra already knew how to control the [World] to this extent, the only one she could count on was a Ruler of Sin, and the closest one is Rainer. "...Asmodea, we have to keep his attention on us until Rainer gets here. We can only put our faith in him."

Asmodea nodded then posed a question to Arazra, "Did you kill them?"

"Hmm?" Arazra didn't seem like he particularly cared about Asmodea's words, he was too busy reveling in his currently unrivaled might.

"Did you kill them?! Nerissa and Aureal! If you killed them... I swear you will not live to see the end of this day." Declared Asmodea with a venomous nature that was unbefitting of her usually sultry nature.

"Oh yea, it is still daytime. I didn't notice. Your point, Asmodea?" Arazra said as he stared down at the Seduction of Lust.

"Bastard!" Asmodea hissed and raised her sword, ready to use the full power of her soul weapon.

"No, no, no, no, NO! Sit still, little Seduction. [World], please restrict her." Arazra raised the card once more and tendrils of solid rock sprouted from the ground and wrapped themselves around the limbs of Asmodea. Her sword was forced to fall down to the ground, effectively sealing off Asmodea's ability to wield the soul weapon.

Asmodea pulled and twisted with all her might, but she could not break free from the iron grip of the constrictive rock. Asmodea never felt so weak in her entire life. Her martial skills were beyond peerless, helping her earn the title of the Seduction of Lust, and she managed to wield Old Age for a small while, though she found it too burdensome. Yet why couldn't she break free from a single stone prison and smite the object that blocked her lord's path?

"It's because I am a Lord of Lust, Asmodea. Do not delude yourself into thinking that pretender ever was the Lord. He is just some false prophet leading the lambs to the slaughter. With this card, I can fulfill unity among the circles... Our race can finally defeat Heaven. I can exterminate the surviving pagan gods. And I will conquer the human world where we can sit on a farm of human souls." Arazra's honeyed words didn't affect Asmodea or Zazie in any way.

The two pillar members could finally see just how coercive Arazra was in order to convince his fellow district leaders into joining him, Hezazias excluded. There was no doubt that a single demon in the entirety of Arazra's army, dead or alive, did not doubt the belief that Arazra was the true lord.

"Now, if you say you're sorry and look up that word in a dictionary one thousand times while swearing fealty to me, I may forgive you and release you. Hey, I may even tell you about those concubines you seem to care about." Arazra said arrogantly. "Oh, wait, never mind. I forgot I let them live and they pursued me."

Not only was Arazra telling the truth, along with Nerissa and Aureal, was Caetorum and Teras. However, not a single one of the newcomers did not bear visual wounds.

By this time, Arazra had his troops clear out the field and rush towards the palace, leaving him and his unwilling companions behind. Though that didn't mean the defensive troops were annihilated, as a large portion of them were still located in the palace itself.

Arazra stood proudly in the center of the bloody opening in the wall, between the wall's edges. The demons before him, Asmodea, Zazie, Nerissa, Aureal, Caetorum, and Teras all stood before him with weapons drawn and solemn faces decorating their expressions. Even the usually unserious Teras forced herself to take a serious expression for once.

"Oh my, I'm scared when you all point those faces at me. Ayah! Okay, I screamed, you all done yet?" Arazra just couldn't read the mood.

"Oh all right, I'll just take advantage of the [World]'s power again. Making mountains is fun and all, but there's something satisfying using such a grand power to effortlessly bind you all." Arazra didn't even give everyone a chance and proceeded to bind each of them at the same time when his words began.

All of the demons found themselves restricted just like Asmodea by tendrils of smooth rock. The magic was too sudden and fast for them to react to with their senses dulled by their wounds.

"A-Arazra, you damned bastard!" Caetorum just barely managed to croak this out as he found his mouth covered by a slim layer of rock.

"Hum... That wasn't nearly as satisfying as I hoped. My troops will easily ferret out those pesky guards in the palace. I hope they don't stain the place with too much blood. I guess I need to do my job, by killing that pretender." Arazra took a deep breath and yelled with all his might, "IF YOU'RE OUT THERE IN THIS CITY! COME TO ME YOU PRETENDER! IF NOT, I WILL KILL YOUR CONCUBINES FIRST, THEN EACH OF THE PILLARS ONE BY ONE! AND I WILL MAKE THEIR DEATHS PAINFUL, YOU CAN COUNT ON THAT!"

Many seconds passed until Arazra sighed and boredom took over his face. "Well, it's either that he isn't in the city, and can't get here because of my beautiful mountains, or that he's in the city and could care less about you guys. Let's see, I'll begin with the Daughter of Pride."

Arazra held the [World] in his hand and balled his other hand into a fist. Slowly the rock that constricted Nerissa squeezed together, robbing her of air and any possible movements, no matter how slight. Nerissa's eyes bulged out, nearly popping from her sockets. Her veins and arteries pulsed as they forced to keep the blood flow going. Her mouth went wide as she silently pleaded the air to enter her lungs.

"No matter how many times I say it... I WILL NOT LET ANYONE DIE BECAUSE OF ME AGAIN!"

The rock compressing Nerissa's body into a puled was cleanly sliced through, freeing her body. Nerissa gasped for air and convulsed as she tasted the sweet taste of life filling her lungs once more.

Once Nerissa opened her eyes, she saw Lauren with two large protrusions coming from the top of her wrists. Lauren used one of her pacts. One that she rarely used because of how unpleasant and painful the feeling was when she took advantage of its power. The Pact of the Manticore, which allowed Lauren to grow metallic spike-blade protrusions from her body. In fact, her wrists bled from using the pact. Either way, it was a deadly ability despite it saving Nerissa's life.

"Lau-cough-Lauren!"

"Shhh, I know I won't be able to beat him... But the one we love can. And he's right over there now." Lauren pointed with her protrusion towards a most welcome person, Rainer.

"It's... Been too long since I last got to see him well." Nerissa said warmly. "Not that I doubt his strength as a true Ruler of Sin... But how can fiancée fight such an unreasonable power?"

Almost as if Lauren knew about demons more so than Nerissa, who was taught by high class tutors about everything a Daughter of Pride needed to know, gave Nerissa the most reasonable words she has heard so far. "Rainer is a Lord of Lust, isn't he? Aren't Rulers of Sin supposed to be absolute rulers of their circle? Someone who is not the Lord of Lust cannot alter the circle at their whim, like Arazra did just now with the mountains. The Land of Lust belongs to one soul, Rainer's. Besides, Rainer has a plan that even I don't know of... Mystery does has its charm, and he plays that card well."

...

"Ah, so we finally meet. 'Tis funny in a way, two demons who are fighting for an absolute position yet barely know anything about their opponent?" Arazra said as he stared coldly at Rainer.