The Mage and the Rogue

Story Info
Fate sent her on this journey. Who knows what she'll find?
4.3k words
4.44
3.1k
9

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 07/31/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hey! This is first story, so I apologize if it's a little rough. You'll learn about the characters first, then we'll get into the naughty bits.

I appreciate any comments, questions, or advice!

Thank you!

*****

Her tent was unusually sparse for an elf, but it suited her. It was one room, just like the tents of the other Scavengers in her Clan. However, most other elves had collected things throughout their journeys: pressed flowers, intricate roots, glittering pebbles. They filled their tents with these souvenirs, but not Aria. Her tent housed only her bed, her clothes, and her weapons when she wasn't using them. Nothing else. Aria had always preferred it that way. She blamed this on her nomadic parents. They were always ready to move on to a new location, a new life carrying only the necessities. Aria could never shake the nagging feeling that her current station was temporary, so the minimalism brought her comfort.

This morning was like any other. Aria woke before the sun peaked over the horizon. Straps of leather hung delicately from between Aria's teeth as she braided her hair. When loose, Aria's black, glossy hair hung down and just tickled her shoulder blades. Aria quickly and methodically wove multiple braids from her hairline towards the back of her head and tucked the rest behind her pointed ears.

Aria's clothing and leather armor were worn and almost as old as she was. It was light and flexible, so it allowed her to move quickly and silently while still offering some protection. If it was up to her Clan Chief, Aria would be wearing something more protective, but she preferred it this way. Aria finished her morning routine by strapping her curved daggers in an 'X' across her back and her three throwing knives to her thigh before exiting her tent.

The sky had begun to turn bright blue in the East fading gently to the darker hues in the West. Aria smiled and waved to Feyton, her closest friend in the Clan. He, along with the other younger elves, must have just returned from their night mission. Feyton only returned a smile and a nod, since the shaman was applying a new bandage on his arm. Aria shook her head. It didn't seem like he could complete a mission without injuring himself. She could tell that Feyton was getting scolded by the shaman He looked guilty and ran his uninjured hand through his messy, wet, blonde hair. It was long enough to fall over his ears and into his eyes. *I'll have to cut it for him soon.* Aria thought.

Feyton's broad sword was strapped diagonally across his back, looking impossibly heavy. His choice of weapon was always a heated conversation point between the two of them. Aria always argued that a lighter sword that could be carried with one hand and a shield wielded in the other would protect him more. Feyton argued that his broad sword did far more damage and was more fun. The conversation would always end with him agreeing simply to placate Aria, but she would always see him with the same, enormous sword the next day.

Aria made her way to the Clan Chief for her assignment for the day. "May the Gods walk with you," Aria offered the standard reverent greeting as she approached.

"And may the Gods ensure your success and happiness," The Chief replied "I've been receiving reports of activity in the Northern Woods, which is unusual. Our messenger brings no news of visitors to the surrounding Clans. Spend today scouting that area and report back to me if you find anything. And be careful. We have no idea what this could be."

"Of course," Aria bowed her head and turned to leave. She was often sent on the types of missions that required stealth or a possible confrontation with the unknown. Aria was the most experienced fighter out of the Scavengers in the Clan. She had long since graduated from the hunting and gathering missions that were traditionally left for the younger, less-practiced elves, such as Feyton.

Aria passed him once again on her way to the North Woods from the center of their camp. He was rolling his eyes at something the shaman had said. Aria couldn't help but giggle at his reaction. *He's never been good at taking advice,* Aria thought, amused. She moved past their conversation and located the entrance to the path leading to the North Woods. She moved quickly along it, looking and listening for signs of activity. A few broken twigs, some foot prints here and there, but nothing out of place caught her eye. Aria had spent a few years training in tracking and was quite skilled at it.

She explored the woods along the path for a few hours, until she came upon a clearing. It was noon, so the bright sunlight that illuminated the clearing granted her some invisibility in the shade of the forest. There was a man kneeling, his back to her. She could just make out the point of his ears from her location. *Another elf?* she thought, incredulously. Aria took another hard look. Judging by his clothing, his clan was not local, if he was even a part of one. He wore no armor, and his tunic was red, not the typical greens and browns that would allow one to blend in with the surrounding forest. He was either a city elf, or he wanted to stand out.

After a few moments, Aria decided to approach him. She could report back to the Chief with what she had seen, but the Chief would be disappointed with so little information. Aria stepped delicately from the shadows. Her leather boots made little noise as she took practiced steps toward the kneeling elf. She stepped lightly, slowly, and avoided twigs and leaves that might give away her position. Aria's eyes never left his back; she was searching for movement, something to telegraph that he heard her or indicate what his next move might be. She slowly and silently unsheathed the long, curved daggers from her back. Her fingers flexed on the grips. Her daggers were so familiar, they were practically an extension of her body.

Aria paused when she was mere feet from him. *Now or never.* She dashed towards him. Her decades of experience made it seem as if time slowed. As the hilt of her dagger moved in an arch toward his temple, he ducked and spun at the last possible moment. His hand raised, and he took a lunging step towards her. They both halted inches apart, glaring at each other; the tip of her dagger was pointed at the base of his sternum, and his hand held a ball of fire aimed at her head.

"Mage," Aria spat as her eyes narrowed, never leaving his.

"Rogue," he replied sarcastically, raising an eyebrow.

"Enough!" A deep, booming voice commanded from the edge of the clearing. Aria's eyes flicked quickly over to see an older gentleman, a human, stepping into the light. His hair was silver and cut close to his skull. A scar ran from his left cheekbone to his chin, but it was partially masked by his gray stubble. He wore simple metal armor that was not without dents and scratches. His sword and shield were drawn, but not raised. He was prepared to fight but would not initiate it. "Why don't you both take a step back, and we can talk," His voice was calmer now that he wasn't talking over the two of them.

Aria's eyes moved back to the elf in front of her. She clenched her jaw but took one step back from him, lowering her daggers. Now that there was some distance between them, she could get a better look at him. His hair was dark brown and styled. The sides were cut close and the top held a mess of curls that came to a point at his brow. His face held the youthful characteristics typical of all elves, but Aria could tell that he was older than her. The fire ball in his hand dissipated with a small wisp of smoke. The elf's eyes never left hers, but a smirk played across his face. *Smug ass,* Aria thought.

"What are you doing here?" Aria's voice conveyed a confidence that she didn't really feel. The odds were against her. No matter how skilled she was as a fighter, she was outnumbered by these two men.

"I was just about to ask the same thing," the older gentleman replied with a chuckle.

Aria turned to him, "This part of these woods is watched over by my clan. You entered and remained, but we never received word from the clans guarding the surrounding area that you were a welcome guest."

"Ah, I should have realized woods these beautiful were being cared for by a clan." His eyes crinkled, and Aria thought she saw something in them. "Recognition, maybe? Relief?" She couldn't quite pinpoint the expression before it left his face. "I'd like to bestow my apologies to your Clan Chief ... in person, if you could lead us there." His demeanor and voice were calm, but it was clear that there was no other option. The warrior sheathed his sword and shield behind his back.

"Us?" Aria asked when his words finally sank in. Her eyes moved from the human and fell on the other elf. His arms were crossed now, but his eyes still hadn't left hers. His fingers drummed on his arm.

"Yes. I think it's best if both of us came for this introduction" He pulled out a tiny, book from his small pack. He dog-eared a page and then returned the book to his pack. Aria sheathed her daggers and turned to lead them back to the clan. "I'm Hauke, by the way, and this is Oliver."

"A pleasure, I'm sure." Aria replied flatly, without looking back.

--

The introductions were brief. Aria led Oliver and Hauke past the curious looks and quiet murmurs of the rest of her clan. The Clan Chief welcomed the guests warmly and seemed to immediately recognize Hauke. Before Aria could investigate that further, Hauke and the Chief excused themselves and retired to a private area presumably to talk. Aria was also pulled away by Feyton tugging at her elbow, so he could ask her incessant questions about the new comers.

While Aria filled Feyton in on the events of that morning, particularly Oliver's annoying smugness, the female members of her clan fawned over Oliver. Mages were rare in Clans, especially elemental ones. Some clans were lucky enough to have a healing mage as their shaman, but those were still few and far between. *It doesn't help that Oliver's smile is so perfect,* Aria thought, before she could stop herself. Aria and Feyton sniggered and rolled their eyes as Oliver performed parlor tricks for the other ladies, lighting small fires, putting them out, freezing leaves, and other small things. They, of course, hung on his every word, and he, of course, bathed in the attention.

As darkness fell, Aria and Feyton set to cleaning their weapons near the fire. He was regaling her with a story of his latest conquest, a boar. Feyton was a little younger than Aria, he had only lived 44 years to her 67, so he was still sent on hunting missions with the rest of the young elves. Aria looked up as the Clan Chief and Hauke approached the fire where most of the clan was sitting. Oliver excused himself from his throng of adoring fans to walk over to join the group.

"It appears as if the Gods have blessed this clan with an instrument of their will." Aria froze; she had never heard the Clan Chief speak of plans or the will of the Elven Gods. It caused an uneasiness that Aria felt deep in the pit of her stomach. She could by Feyton's sudden stillness that he felt the same way. "Aria, it has been decided that you will accompany these gentlemen and the rest of their group until their mission is complete."

"Bu-," Aria began to protest, but one look from the Chief shut her up.

"They would like to return to their quest tonight. You'll have a little time to gather your things and accompany them to their camp." The Chief held both of Aria's hands in hers and pulled her to her feet, "I expect you'll represent this clan well wherever this may take you."

"May the Gods walk with you," Aria said monotonously. She still could not quite believe what was unfolding in front of her. The world she had known all of her adult life was going to be put on pause. *How long will I be absent? What will happen to the Clan? What will become of Feyton? Will I even be welcome back?* These thoughts raced through Aria's head as she gazed down at their conjoined hands.

"And may the Gods ensure your success and happiness, Arialora." Oliver snorted, but quickly covered it with a cough as everyone's eyes fell on him. Aria wasn't sure if he was laughing at their traditional greetings or the use of her full name. She couldn't really think about it as her thoughts bounced back and forth.

Aria couldn't bring herself to look back at the Chief or at Feyton. If she did, she might beg to stay in the camp where she had lived her entire life. Aria pulled her hands from the Chiefs and turned numbly towards her tent. She had absolutely no idea what their mission was, but it must be important if the Chief was ordering her to go. *Is this actually the will of the Gods, or is this just a convenient way for the Clan to be rid of me? Have I done something to anger the Chief?* Questions raced through her head as she lifted the flap to her tent. As she found her pack and began filling it with the few items that she owned, she was briefly thankful for her lack of possessions.

Once her clothing and weaponry were packed, she reached under her pillow and found the one personal item she allowed herself to have. It was a necklace: simple, bronze, and hand-forged into the shape of a leaf. It was gift from her father to her mother, and it had been in Aria's possession for the past 40 years of her life. Touching it repeatedly had smoothed and shined the edges.

Aria heard a rustle at the flap to her tent and looked up to see that Feyton had let himself in. "You're really going to go with them?" It was the one question that Aria had been avoiding asking herself. *Am I?* But she already knew the answer. Yes. Yes, she was.

"It looks like it." Aria said for her benefit as much as his. She motioned to her now-empty tent and half-full pack tied up securely with long leather straps.

"You don't have to, you know. They'd understand." Feyton was looking down at his feet, unwilling to meet her eyes. Aria understood the truth in his words; she didn't have to leave if she truly didn't want to. However, she also knew that this may actually be fated, and this opportunity to be independent and see more of this world than the forest that surrounds them may never come again.

"I know, but there's been no activity here for a while now ... Besides, this may be your chance to move up in the ranks." she added lamely, as if her leaving were for his benefit.

"I guess you're right. If there's nothing keeping you here, you should go." Feyton's words were cold and clipped. Aria turned to reply, but she only saw the flap of her tent fall as he left. Aria closed her eyes and breathed deeply. She knew why he didn't want her to leave. Feyton had always been open about his feelings for her. When they were younger, he would always follow her around. He would try to give her things that he found on his hunts. They had spent a night or two talking about it. Aria had made it abundantly clear that she did not feel the same way. *Maybe this will be the push Feyton needs to focus his attention elsewhere.*

It was time; there was nothing else that Aria could use to delay herself. Aria grabbed her pack. When she exited her tent, Feyton was nowhere to be seen. *He must have retired to his own tent.* She thought sadly, *Not even willing to stay and say a proper goodbye.*

She walked toward the group still chatting by the fire. Oliver was saying goodbye to his new fans, feigning despair over their inevitable parting. Aria rolled her eyes and turned to the Chief, motioning for a word alone.

"Please make sure that Feyton takes care of himself." Aria asked. She absentmindedly rubbed the arm that Feyton had bandaged earlier in the day.

"He'll hurt for a while, but this might be what's best for him, too." The Chief took Aria's hands in her own.

"What did you mean when you said, 'instrument of their will'? What are the Gods willing?"

"I can't reveal that, but you'll learn in due time." Aria nodded even though she was wholly unsatisfied with the answer. She straightened her back, took a step backwards, and turned towards her future.

--

It was a short walk from the clearing where they met to the camp the Chief was referring to. There were two covered wagons sitting at the opposite end of the clearing. Four horses grazed just outside of the light of the fire. Three humans sat around the fire deep in conversation.

"Good Evening, everyone." Hauke said loudly, to announce their arrival, "We have a new addition." All three's heads turned toward them. "This is Arialora - "

"Aria." She interrupted.

"Ah yes, Aria. She's an elf from the clan that watches over this part of the forest. I'm told she's quite skilled with her daggers and deadly with her knives." He gestured towards the human women sitting closest to them, "This is Caindri. She's a skilled healer and is pretty respectable with a bow and arrow. She's one you want on your side." Caindri nodded. She was an older human, but she was definitely younger than Hauke. Her short blonde hair held no trace of gray and fell to her shoulders. Her eyes, on the other hand, were an unusually dark gray. Her clothes were plain, muted colors, but they suited her figure. She was quite striking.

"And this is Cassandra." Cassandra smiled and waved, her red curls bouncing as she moved. "She doesn't have skills as a fighter, but she's quite eloquent. She's talked us out of a pinch one more than one occasion." Cassandra's skin was pale and littered with freckles. She had large green eyes that conveyed honesty and trustworthiness. She was young, much younger than anyone else in the group. Her frame was small and lacked the muscle tone that Aria's own body possessed. She wore a simple green dress and a gold necklace with a charm.

"And lastly, we have Bhann. You'll find no man or woman more skilled or nimble with a great axe." Bhann was an enormous human. He would tower over any man or elf that Aria had met thus far in her life. His head was hairless except for a thick, bushy moustache and eyebrows set low over small, dark eyes. His chest was broad and was covered by heavy chainmail. He regarded Aria cautiously.

"Do you think having another elf is wise?" Bhann asked, his tone cautious, "One has proven to be a handful on more than one occasion." Aria turned to Oliver to see him rubbing the back of his neck looking sheepishly at Bhann.

"Aria has thus far been more ... agreeable than Oliver has been in the past. I think she'll be a great addition to our rag tag group." Hauke motioned that Aria should take a place by the fire. Hauke moved toward the wagons, and Oliver moved to speak with Bhann. Aria settled between Caindri and Cassandra. Caindri wordlessly handed Aria a thick piece of dense, brown bread. Aria nodded in thanks and began to eat. Her bites slowed as she became aware that Cassandra was staring at her wide-eyed.

"Aria, I was hoping you clear up something for me" Aria turned abruptly toward Cassandra, but found no sarcasm or malice in her face, only genuine curiosity.

"Yes?" Aria answered cautiously, not sure what she would know that would be of any use to this small woman.

"There are some things I've heard about elves that I've never been able to get any confirmation on. There are very few books that I've come across on your culture or heritage, and Oliver keeps avoiding the questions, so I was hoping you could help me." Aria glanced over at Oliver who was deep in conversation with Bhann. He must have said something funny, because Bhann was roaring with laughter.

"I'll do my best." Aria answered simply. She wanted to make a good first impression on someone in the group. Oliver was a lost cause, Bhann seemed overly cautious of her, and Hauke was difficult to read. Cassandra could be an ally for her.

"How long do elves live?" Cassandra leaned forward, eager for information.

12