The Magic in Your Touch Ch. 17

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
wavyscribe
wavyscribe
1,093 Followers

The door to the dressing room creaked open and Seth slipped in. "We're almost ready, Nate. The music has started."

"Gotcha." He stood up and gave Seth a wicked grin. "You're looking pretty studly in that tux, brother."

Seth laughed. "Imagine Brandon's surprise when he sees I'm not wearing that puffy pink dress he ordered for me."

"Yeah, well, no one ever said Brandon didn't have a sick sense of humor." Nate tugged at his bow tie. "Have you got the ring?"

"Yes and no."

"What do you mean 'yes and no'? Seth, this has to be perfect. I--"

Seth came over to where Nate stood and put his hands on his shoulders. "Calm down, Nathan. I know how important this is to you. Do you really think I'd do anything to screw it up?"

Nate took a deep, calming breath. "No, of course not. I just need everything to go right today. Sorry, Seth but I'm a nervous wreck."

"So what else is new?" He punched Nate lightly on the arm. "Lucky for you, to have such an understanding brother."

Nate rolled his eyes. "Yeah, yeah. You still haven't told me what you meant by 'yes and no.'"

Seth's eyes softened. "I do have a ring, but it isn't the one you bought for Brandon at the jewelry store. I thought maybe you'd like Brandon to have this one instead." He pulled a worn velvet bag from his pocket and pressed it into Nate's upturned palm.

Nate's fingers caressed the velvet, his fingertips finding the threadbare spots almost from memory. He didn't need to open it to know what was inside, but he found himself loosening the strings and working the bag open, anyway, as he'd done so many times before. The gleam of the overhead lights picked up the sparkle from the sole diamond stationed at the center of the wide gold band. It was a little bigger than he remembered, having been sized up to fit Brandon's larger finger, but there was no mistaking whose ring it was. He looked up from the treasure in his hand to stare at his brother. "How did you get Grandpa's ring?"

Seth shrugged. "It was no big deal. I remembered Grandma Morris showing it to us when we were kids, and I thought maybe you'd like to have it for Brandon. The ring you bought him was great, but I thought maybe this one would mean a little more to you both."

Nate nodded. "You know it does. Grandma Morris bought this ring for Grandpa when the two of them barely had two nickels to rub together. She made enough money to buy it by taking in mending work from the neighbors. That was before his business took off, of course." He smiled. "When she found out I was gay, Grandma told me I could have the ring to pass on to my own husband some day. Then she died, and all her personal effects went to Dad." He looked at his brother again. "How did you get it, Seth?"

"I went to see Dad a few days ago, Nate." Nate started to say something, but Seth stopped him. "Before you get all riled up, let me explain. When you told me you were getting married the first weekend in January, instead of the day before Thanksgiving like you'd planned, I didn't like it, but I understood. To tell you the truth, I was afraid you would end up feeling guilty about what happened with Mother and postpone it even longer. What with the funeral and Mike's arraignment, I understood that you couldn't go ahead with the wedding as planned, but it still irked me that you and Brandon had to suffer yet again because of what those people did to you. I wanted this day to be as special for you as possible. I figured the ring might help. I remembered the way you always liked to hold it and try it on when we were kids. So, I went to Dad and told him I wanted it. I told him why, too."

Nate snorted. "Bet that went over well."

Seth grinned. "Actually, I think he was more surprised to see me standing on his doorstep than anything else. He and I haven't said word one to each other since that day at the sheriff's office. He didn't even look at either one of us at Mother's funeral. I told him what I wanted and why. I told him he owed it to you."

"What did he say to that?"

"Not a word. He left me standing there, and went to get the ring. He placed it in my hand, and shut the door in my face. That was it. I took the ring to the same jewelry store where you bought the new one for Brandon, and had it sized." He patted his pocket. "I have the one you ordered too, just in case you'd rather give it to him, instead."

Nate grabbed Seth and pulled him into a fierce hug. "You know I don't. Thanks, Seth. I love you."

Seth pulled back and cuffed Nate gently on the cheek. "Right back at you. Now, time to get you hitched."

#

If there was one thing Nate hated, it was being the center of attention. He thought sure he'd be self-conscious as he walked down the isle, knowing everyone was staring at him. But as soon as he saw Brandon waiting for him at the altar, all the other people in the room ceased to exist.

Pastor Oakley smiled as Nate took his place beside Brandon. He pulled a small prayer book from the folds of his robes and asked Bran and Nate to face each other.

"We're assembled here today, as the friends and family of Brandon and Nathan, to witness the joining of two lives, two hearts, and two souls becoming as one."

"Love is not to be taken lightly, but to be savored, cherished. Life is ripe with uncertainty, but the love of a good partner is an anchor to us during times of chaos and doubt. As we are told in the First Epistle of John, chapter four, verse eighteen, 'There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear. . .' Brandon and Nathan stand before you in love and ask you to rejoice with them as they seek the blessings of Almighty God on their union."

The vows came next, and though he tried to capture every word, Nate could recall very little of the actual dialogue later on. What he did remember was Brandon's face as he slid his ring on Nate's finger, and also the look of pure joy in his eyes when Nate returned the favor.

Pastor Oakley closed his prayer book and addressed the congregation. "It is with great pleasure that I declare Brandon and Nathan joined in the sight of God. May all his blessings be upon you."

Nate thought his heart would burst, such were the feelings of completeness. Then Brandon leaned forward to kiss him, and Nate lost the ability to think at all.

#

Brandon shivered as Nate licked the icing from his fingers. When it was Nate's turn to feed him, he opened his mouth and allowed Nate to ease a small bite of cake between his lips. Nate groaned as Brandon flicked his tongue across the pad of Nate's index finger.

"Do you think we can make our exit now?"

Brandon laughed. "Don't you want to finish your cake first?"

The glow in Nate's eyes was so seductive, Brandon's face flushed. Nate said, "I'm hungry, but not for cake."

Brandon grinned. "I think maybe we could get away with cutting out early." He took Nate's hand and the two of them slipped away from the reception. They'd almost made it to the door when they came face to face with Gale and Grandma Taylor.

The two women exchanged knowing smiles. Gale said, "Looks like we've got a couple of deserters on our hands, Mom."

Grandma Taylor nodded. "I should certainly hope so. I'd be worried about this marriage if the desire to be alone together had already waned. They've only been married for four hours." She gave them each a tight hug. "I'd better go find Grandpa. Too much champagne gives him gas."

Gale shook her head at her mother's retreating back. "That woman does have a way with words." She turned back to Brandon and Nate. "Okay, you two fugitives. If you're going to leave, we need to do this right. Oh, before I forget, did you get the package from Grandpa and Grandma Nash?"

Brandon nodded, "Yes, ma'am, and the card. I know they were pretty upset about not being able to come up for the ceremony, but Grandma's arthritis was acting up again. We understood."

"I know, sweetie." She patted his cheek and then looked down at her watch. "Give the boys fifteen minutes to finish up with the car, and then we'll announce your departure so everyone can line up and throw birdseed at you."

Brandon sighed. "Whatever you think, Mom. I--" He realized what she'd said. "Car? What car? My car? Oh, God, what are they doing to my Camaro?"

Gale just laughed and said, "You'll see." Then she sauntered down the hall to gather the well wishers.

Alone in the hallway, Brandon pulled Nate into his arms and rested his forehead against Nate's. "They're violating my car."

Nate chuckled. "It's your own fault, you know. You're the one who insisted on driving the Camaro today instead of my sensible new Buick."

"I know, I know. I should have guessed our brothers would do something like this." He kissed Nate's cheek. "Do you miss the Ford?"

"No. After what happened with Mike, I don't think I'd ever be able to enjoy it again. It was nice of Cain to take it back without billing me for the damage."

Brandon's eyes darkened. "It could have been so much worse." Just thinking about it was enough to make him feel ill.

Nate didn't say anything. He simply held Brandon until the worry left his face.

#

Nate reached over and brushed the birdseed out of Brandon's hair. "Well, that wasn't too bad, now was it?"

"Have you actually looked at, my car, Nate?"

Nate snickered. "Well, I thought the 'Just Married' sign stretched across the rear bumper was a nice touch."

"That was the only nice part. Sixteen condoms filled with whipped cream and attached to the car with magnets. The words, 'Brandon's Gonna Score' written on the windows with white shoe polish. And lets not forget the exciting array of old shoes and tin cans tied to the bumper. When we get to the courthouse, I'm going to un-decorate while you file your paperwork. Then we'll swing by our place to change and then head to the airport."

Nate was only half listening. He patted his jacket to make certain his papers were still inside. In just a few minutes, Nathan Morris would no longer exist. He'd be Nathan Nash for the rest of his life.

Brandon pulled up to the courthouse and cut the engine. "You sure you want to do this? No doubts?"

"None. Your family is already more like family to me than my own ever was, Seth excluded, of course."

Brandon leaned over and kissed his cheek. "Want me to come in with you? I can un-decorate later if you do."

"Nah. You go ahead and start on the car. I'll be right back."

And he was. For such a life-changing event, the actual paperwork consisted of little more than handing over the documents and getting a receipt. After being promised he would get confirmation in four to six weeks, Nate was done.

As he stepped from the dimly lit courthouse to the bright January sunshine flooding the parking lot, Nate wondered why he didn't feel sadness, even the tiniest twinge at leaving his old life behind. He thought of all he'd lost in the five months since his ordeal began, and, except for his beloved Amy, he grieved none of it. No matter how much Dr. Carson assured him that his lack of feeling over loosing his parents was normal under the circumstances, in the back of his mind, he'd wondered if it really was. Then he caught sight of the tall man in the tux, bent over the hood of his car with inflated condoms in hand, and it all became clear to him.

He didn't grieve his family because Brandon was all the family Nate would ever need. The rest of the crazy Nash clan was just an amazing bonus.

Brandon caught his gaze, and Nate started walking towards him. Towards home.

The End

wavyscribe
wavyscribe
1,093 Followers
12