The Making of Vampires Ch. 04

Story Info
Gabriel's loneliness finds and end.
6.6k words
4.7
7.2k
9

Part 4 of the 9 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 06/17/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
VRSnow
VRSnow
56 Followers

I would like to thank RoadWarrior for editing. Thank you so much for all the time and effort you put into helping me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thirty years have passed.

The vampires stood outside the city walls. They left their homes. They left their city. A new home awaited, somewhere.

Marcus was one of them, now. He joined his father's army and his father's vampires. He refused the mantle of leadership for which his tutors had prepared him. He refused to lead a city that would not accept Marienta as their leader's wife.

A few years after Direca's disappearance, August married Marienta. The ruling elite boycotted his wedding festivities. They would not bow to a former slave. They would not accept a former slave as the legal wife of their ruler.

August accepted their decision and no longer showed favor to them or any of the ruling elite when passing laws or presiding over disagreements. His actions caused hard feelings amongst the high-class citizens of the city. Many challenged him to duels. He accepted with the stipulation that the losing party would forfeit their land and wealth to the winner. Many rescinded their challenges, but too many foolishly accepted not understanding their opponent was a vampire, stronger and faster than any mere humans were.

August shared his good fortune with the city. He kept the coins, but used the homes and lands of the losers for hospitals, schools, and homes for the orphans and war widows.

No one except the rich complained when they saw family or friends lose their property and thus their status. Ironically, the elite didn't complain about someone losing their life, just the family wealth. After only a couple of years, the challenges to August's rule stopped. The rich no longer fought what they considered unfair laws or rulings.

Marcus refused to rule a city that would not accept his stepmother who he considered more caring than his biological mother. He could not remember the cruel comments she said about him on the day of her death, but he remembered the way she made him feel on other occasions. He felt unloved and unwanted by his mother. Marienta, on the other hand, never made him feel that way. She always hugged and kissed him. She played with him and made him laugh. He knew she wanted to be with him.

After his father sent him into hiding, he missed Marienta so badly that he begged to have a message sent to his father asking for her company. August resisted until after he wed her and realized how hostile some of the citizens were of her presence. Then he sent Marienta to care for Marcus for her safety as much as his son's comfort. He visited them nightly, with the aid of a magic ring.

The ring was a gift from Gabriel. Gabriel ensorcelled the ring to transport August to his family and back to the mansion. Gabriel also ensured that his brother would be the only one able to use the ring lest it fell into enemy hands. It would respond to no one else so Marienta and Marcus would be safe with their guards and the tutors.

Marcus walked to his father. "Well, shall we leave? Even the sight of the city leaves a bad feeling in my stomach."

August patted his son's shoulder. "Yes, let us go. Though, I find it difficult to leave the city that holds so many memories for me." He called over his shoulder, "Martinelli, lead with your men. My men will take up the rear."

Gabriel called out, "Yes, and my men will be in the center near the women to keep them safe."

August was satisfied. Everyone knew their roles. He pulled out his map. The group would go north. They heard rumors of vampires to the north. They hoped to join the other vampires for safety and for comradery. They wanted a home and a community that accepted all.

Barbarians controlled the northern frozen lands. August and his vampires did not know if the vampires were a part of the native barbarians or another group surviving in the cold regions. Optimism wasn't in abundance. Skepticism prevailed; They expected to find no living vampires. They expected to have to continue their search for a new home.

***

The group traveled for months, carrying little. They brought coin and treasure, but no domestic animals. It was faster to travel without animals to slow them down. If they battled, they would not have to worry of the safety of any horses or livestock.

After a snowstorm, the group discovered a small village in the valley of two mountains. Snow blanketed the region and frosted the buildings as if they were cakes. Many heartbeats echoed a steady march to the traveling vampires. Gabriel found one louder than the others and, almost helplessly, hunted for the woman whose chest it beat in.

Martinelli grabbed Gabriel's arm, "What are you doing?" The glazed look on his brother's face concerned him.

Gabriel shrugged. "I'm not sure, but I have to go to her. I have to find her."

August smirked. "Our brother has found his future wife." Then he swept his arm out as if clearing a path for his younger brother to march into the village to find the woman whose heart called to him.

Gabriel followed the sound. It drove him faster. It led him to the long low building of logs mortared with mud. Sounds came from inside. The voices of many people combined to form a chaotic chorus of conversations.

Gabriel reached for the door, his nerves twisted and tight. Opening the heavy wooden door, he saw long tables filled with food. People gathered around long tables smiling and talking. The calling heartbeat made him turn right. He spotted his heart's desire immediately and walked to her. His brothers and their men followed.

She sat with her legs curled under her leaning against the legs a large wooden chair. She, unlike many of the women in the room, had clothes on her body. In the chair sat a large man. He had no heartbeat and he looked steely-eyed at the new combers. The room grew quiet with only the click of mugs and utensils announcing their return to the tables.

August stepped forward. He knew they faced a vampire. He also knew that other vampires mingled among the humans at the tables. He was surprised that he could recognize the presence of other vampires and he understood the other vampires could detect him and his company.

August cleared his throat. "We have traveled far for food and shelter. Would you offer hospitality?"

The large man in the chair sighed. "Who do I have the honor of meeting?" The tone of his voice contradicted his words. He wasn't honored to meet any of them.

August continued anyway. "I am August of Osentia, and these two are my brothers, Gabriel and Martinelli."

The sitting man rolled his eyes. "Nice to meet you. I'm Andrecles of anywhere I wish. August is an unusual name. Isn't it really Augustus?"

August nodded. "Yes, that is my full name, but nobody uses it, not even in formal settings. Everyone has called me August since I was a child, even my father who chose my name." He kept Andrecles' attention on him and not on his brother, Gabriel.

Andrecles kicked his leg over the wooden arm of his chair slouching to the side. "What of your grandfather. What did he call you?"

August paused a moment before answering wondering why his grandfather would matter in this conversation. "He also called me August."

Andrecles rubbed his chin as in thought. "He was such a disappointment to me. I expected so much more from him."

August realized he looked upon the vampire who turned his grandfather, but tried to keep his face neutral. "You knew my grandfather?"

Andrecles smirked. "Yes, I knew Pleotis. He showed promise, but then crawled back to me without an arm begging for help to conquer his city and tame his grandsons. I knew better. A vampire who has failed so miserably in his first days of life has no use to me. So, I banished him from my sight with a threat of death if he should ever return. From time to time, my men report seeing him wandering the forest in the company of a human woman." He chuckled. "Even vampires grow lonely."

August nodded. "Then you know what we are."

Andrecles winked. "Of course. Just as you know what I and some of my favorite men are."

August scanned the room noting the various vampires though out the room. "I notice that no women are among your ranks." He was glad that he left his wife outside the village guarded by his son.

Andrecles shrugged. "The only ones I would allow to be turned are the ones who stirred our beasts, but that hasn't happened yet. I want the women to know their place and behave in a suitable manner. They need to be pleasing and serve us as we desire."

Gabriel's eyes drifted back to the woman sitting at Andrecles' feet. He needed to have her. He needed to take and protect her. He needed her beside him.

The woman sat with her eyes lowered to the floor. Only crescent moon slivers of blue showed of her irises. Her blond hair fell forward helping to hide her face showing the tip of her pixie nose. Fear blanketed her.

Gabriel could not determine if her fear was a constant or because they were there. He assumed her meek and cowering form developed from her interaction with the man in the chair. He had to take her away from him.

Andrecles' lowered voice crept through the air to Gabriel's ears, "So, my Sophia draws you attention...or should I say that she draws you beast." He smirked as he saw the expression on Gabriel's face change to surprise. "Yes, I can feel your beast stirring. It is because I am so old that I know much."

Gabriel spoke with trepidation, "Then you understand my need to have her."

Andrecles shrugged. "I know, but do not care. Even if you hadn't chosen one so valuable to my company, I would have denied you. I share nothing and I give nothing. That is how I stay strong. That is how I maintain control, how I survive."

Gabriel almost choked. His anger flared and he stepped forward to confront and attack the vampire that prevented him from being with his heart's desire. He would take her and destroy Andrecles.

A hand grabbed his arm. Martinelli pulled him back and stepped forward instead. He released his brother's arm and purposely looked Andrecles up and down, showing judgment on his face. He was antagonizing the leader.

Martinelli shrugged. "I'm my brother's general. I lead our forces and I see nothing impressive in front of me. I challenge your rule, a battle to the death."

People gasped at the sudden nonchalant challenge. Gabriel startled and reached for his younger brother, but August intervened. They knew Martinelli would die for either of them, but it wasn't necessary. Negotiations could still prevail.

August cleared his throat, "So brother, am I to assume that you wish a rule of your own. Should you not give leadership to me?"

Martinelli shook his head. "No, dear brother. I wish for no rule over anyone. He rules over slaves. When I defeat him, I shall set them all free. They can decide to join your ranks or to set off by themselves."

Gabriel quickly added, "But Martinelli, a fight to the death isn't necessary. What if you lose?"

Martinelli never looked at his brother, just straight ahead at the vampire he challenged, "Then the pain deep inside me will end."

***

The challenge took place the next morning at sun up. They stood in a clearing at the foot of one of the rocky mountains. Trees lined the clearing and snow blanketed the ground.

Martinelli whispered as only a vampire could understanding that Andrecles, and those loyal to Andrecles, could hear as well or better than their young vampire ears could hear. "Gabriel, August, you two must protect yourselves anyway possible. The trees could hide any number of his men. They will attack you two in order to gain our own men once we three are dead." He glanced around quickly. "Marcus, along with the new ones and the wives, are hidden. They will not be in danger or at risk, but you two are. Expect treachery. Expect deceit. Expect anything. Andrecles will not fight fair."

Gabriel smiled and pulled out a ring from a pouch. "Yes, little brother. Put this on. It will reflect any harmful magic back to the caster or magical item. August and I already have ours on. My spell casters also have various magical objects that will keep them safe. We will not cheat, but we will not allow them to do so, either." He gave his brother a worried smile unsure of the tricks or cheats Andrecles may have planned.

Martinelli nodded a thanks to his brother and asked, "How are you doing, Gabriel? You are so close to your beloved, yet, unable to approach."

Gabriel sighed, "I probably would be worse, but I am worried about losing one or both of my brothers right now. After you kill him, I'll approach her. I'll court her then."

August chuckled. "You are such an old fashioned soul. Court her. Just take her make her yours."

Gabriel shook his head. "No, she behaves in a manner that shows mistreatment. I'll not do the same to her." He looked at Martinelli. "Good luck and may you always be the victor."

August and Gabriel stepped away from Martinelli. He would need space to move and think. They had a great deal of faith in his fighting prowess. They had seen him in battle. They knew his capabilities. Unfortunately, they knew nothing of the fighting abilities of Andrecles. Neither, did they know of his honor in battle. They feared the worst.

Martinelli stretched his arms and flexed his legs. It was more for show than need, but it was part of the intimidation method of showing his opponent flexed muscles. It worked great with humans. He had no idea how it would work with vampires.

Smiling sardonically, Andrecles approached the center of the clearing to meet Martinelli. "Once we start the battle, it doesn't end until one of us is dead." He lifted his large sword placing the flat of the blade against his forehead.

That one little gesture told Martinelli a great deal of information. The man could not be much older than Martinelli and his brothers. The gesture of placing the flat of the blade against one's forehead was a tradition started only decades before as a sign of bestowing respect onto your opponent. That meant the vampire was not much stronger than Martinelli. He had a very good chance of winning this fight. It also told Martinelli his opponent was a soldier and would have skills to match or surpass his own.

Martinelli matched the gesture, but with a slight flaw. Only a well-trained soldier would notice that he touched his head with the hilt and not the flat of the blade. Andrecles noticed. His face faltered for just a moment before he removed any hint of confusion from his features. Martinelli did not react. He now knew his opponent was experienced and well trained. He now knew that the battle would be a tough one. And hopefully, his opponent mistakenly would lower his own expectations of Martinelli to offer that one opening that would afford victory.

They separated and circled, sizing each other up. Neither unlocked their eyes from the other's stare. Each used their peripheral vision to judge their opponent and calculate any possible weakness.

Andrecles made the first strike, accompanied with an unearthly speed. Martinelli easily blocked it with his own preternatural speed. Andrecles left a purposeful opening, which he watched Martinelli take. Only a fool would take the opening, a huge mistake. Andrecles struck out slashing a huge gash across his opponent's back. Martinelli screamed in pain and staggered.

Martinelli's scream of pain was real. He intentionally took the opening knowing his opponent would have a clear attack of his back. This was part of his plan, to lull his opponent into a false sense of security. He pretended to stagger. He heard the shuffle of feet indicating Andrecles moved to a better position; He moved closer.

August watched his younger brother battle Andrecles. He understood Martinelli's tactics even if he didn't like the results. He knew what his youngest brother planned and he watched in anticipation of his brother's win as he kept his face emotionless.

Gabriel grimaced as Andrecles sliced open his younger brother's back. He hated watching duels with his brothers, but did so out of loyalty. If either of his brothers were to die in a duel, then he would be there to see their last moments, to be a witness to their bravery.

He glanced away, the intensity of the situation before him being too great. His eyes fell upon Sophia standing at the edge of the tree line. Vampire guards surrounded her. She mumbled, but Gabriel focused and could hear her words. She was casting a spell. Gabriel remembered the ring he gave his brother. She was casting a spell that would cause a vampire some damage, but kill a human.

Gabriel had little time. He picked up a handful of snow throwing it at her with a spell of his own. He said the words that caused the snow to expand covering Sophia and the group. The vampires weren't bothered, but Sophia fell disrupting her spell.

Gabriel hollered, "They are dishonorable and using magic outside the circle!" He heard their soldiers drawing their weapons to engage the enemy.

The vampires around Sophia left her to engage in battle with Gabriel who reached into a pocket for more spell components. August pulled his sword intending to protect Gabriel, but also watching for other attackers.

Martinelli spun, his sword held at the height of Andrecles' neck. It was a blind move, but he felt his sword strike and imbed into flesh. Unfortunately, he didn't feel it strike into bone. As his eyes caught up with his sword, he saw the gaping neck wound of his enemy. It was not fatal and he realized that he lost his one advantage. He unveiled his true fighting skills in that move. His enemy would not be fooled again.

Sophia tried to stand to cast another spell. Andrecles' orders had been very clear. Failure meant punishment and possibly death to her family. She would fight this new vampire, even if it killed her.

Gabriel knew that Sophia could not possibly best him with magic. He was concerned about the vampires coming his way. He had no idea of their skills and he feared they could best him or his brothers. He scooped up a bit of snow tossing it into the air and calling out the ethereal words of magic that would unleash his power.

The loose snow floated in the air a moment before growing into three-foot wide balls of ice. They flew straight at the vampires striking each in the chest. The vampires, unable to dodge, fell onto their backs sliding through the snow nearly a dozen feet.

August positioned his body in front of his younger brother. Martinelli could protect himself against skilled fighters, but not his magic using brother, Gabriel. He lifted his sword tapping the flat of the blade to his forehead. That little bit of honor was all that he intended to show to his enemy. From this point on, he would fight as dirty as possible.

He saw the first of the vampires starting to stand. He ran, with only the speed a vampire could muster, to engage the enemy. His sword whistled through the air before he got to his opponent. The strike, aimed at the vampires neck, struck true and he felt the resistance a moment before the head fell free. He didn't stop or even look at the decapitated corpse. He moved to the next vampire recovering from his brother's magic. Gabriel's voice softly chanted more of the language of magic and August knew his brother was preparing another attack on the enemy.

Martinelli pivoted, lifted his sword parallel to the ground, and braced against the downward strike of Andrecles. The red, angry scowl of Andrecles told Martinelli that his feint of poor swordsmanship had fooled the other vampire. He felt the wounds on his back knitting together. He was surprised as he had not been injured in a great while and hadn't expected such a quick healing response.

VRSnow
VRSnow
56 Followers
12