The Marriage Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DreamCloud
DreamCloud
7,625 Followers

"Alia knows it has to happen," Angelica added, "it would help to make her part of it." I coughed to clear the knot in my throat. "I have to tell Mylle also. She has had less time to think about it. It may be harder on her." Angelica looked up to me. "You have to play that game of hers this afternoon. She is holding on to that promise,"

"I would not miss it," I said absently, while thinking how Alia handled the questioning. "Was Alia hurt by your questions?" I asked.

"No, I do not think so," Angelica replied thoughtfully, "she seemed genuinely interested and explained things well."

"Should I talk to her about it?" I asked, worried that Alia may have taken it poorly. I did not want anything to change her opinion of me after last night.

"We spoke a week past. I think it would have festered by now if it bothered her," Angelica said without thinking. My mind sighed, and I felt my shoulders relax. No, Alia was not perturbed last night. I smiled inwardly.

"Are you back with me again?" Angelica asked. I looked up and she was smiling.

"I'm sorry, my Princess," I said sincerely, "yes, I am here with you." I smiled, "I am just trying to imagine making a baby with you." I did not move fast enough to dodge her hand. I was allowed to talk about it, but not think about it.

<<<<<>>>>>

Mylle was waiting for me in the library. I had eaten a quick lunch in the kitchen after a bath. I was reminded of the game by Alia, as if I would forget. I had forgotten. My mind was still reeling about the heir. I entered the library to see the game board set up, and Mylle waiting in a tight blue dress. It seemed a tad formal for a board game, but she did look good in it.

"Good day to you, my Lady" I said pleasantly as I moved forward to the chair that was obviously waiting for me.

"I am so happy you came, my Lord," Mylle announced. She seemed truly happy. I matched her smile and took my seat.

"So this is Tavia," I stated. The board looked well made. It was indented with many inlaid long triangles pointing inward. There were sets of black and white onyx disks set about on these triangles. The white set up as a mirror image of the black. I was seriously intrigued.

"Yes, my Lord," Mylle said, her mouth stuck on a smile. I was glad Alia reminded me. I would have disliked disappointing Mylle. She gave the instructions which I found very clear. I had somehow associated her earlier shyness with a slow mind. It could not be further from the truth. Her instructions were precise and clear. If I asked for clarifications, she would explain it a different way to make sure I understood. I could see why Angelica was attracted to her.

The game itself was not as overly complex as it first looked. I was playing the white pieces. I had to roll dice and move my scattered pieces around the board, on the triangles, in the opposite direction Mylle's black pieces moved. I could split my roll across two pieces or add the pips together and move only one piece. Once I got all my pieces into my home section, I could run them off the board. The first player who got all of his or her pieces off wins. The caveat to the game was when you leave a piece alone on a triangle, it is at risk, and the other player can land on it and send it back to the start. The goal would be to move evenly, pairing the pieces along the way.

I found out quickly that Mylle had the advantage of experience. She knew almost at once how to safely execute each roll. When she did take a risk, it was a limited one. It felt rather good to send one of her pieces back. It would have felt better if she had not sent five of mine back earlier. Rolling matching pips were also of great benefit. It allowed you to move as if you had four die of that number. Mylle seemed to have magic rolls. The first game was hers without much competition.

"I would like to play again," I said anxiously. I thought I was getting the hang of it at the end. It was an enjoyable mix of strategy and luck. A single game did not take long, so it begged to be repeated.

"Of course, my Lord," Mylle said happily. You would have thought I opened the treasury for her. Her eyes were as excited as her hands as she set the board again. The same pattern as how the last game started. I would have to learn it.

"Have you found everything to your liking here, my Lady?" I asked as I tried to determine what to do with a six pip and a one pip. I had to count the triangles with my fingers since I did not yet know the patterns.

"It is wonderful, my Lord," Mylle replied, "you have made me most welcome." It took a while to figure a safe move, but I found it. I was proud of myself.

"I am glad," I said sincerely, "I was afraid you might find it too strange." Mylle rolled a pair of four pips. I cringed and watched her quickly close off two triangles to me. It would greatly limit my available moves.

"I would not want to be anywhere else, my Lord," Mylle added. I rolled three and four pips. I was right, her earlier move would make mine difficult. I was back to counting triangles with my fingers, trying to ascertain the best move. It took a while, but I was able to move one piece seven places with a small risk. I thought it best of the available options. I was, of course, wrong. It was promptly sent back on her next roll.

"You are quite good at this," I said as I rolled and placed my piece back onto the board. Mylle's smile grew at the compliment. She rolled and moved her pieces safely again.

"You take risks with your lead pieces. The penalty will be greater if I hit them, my Lord," Mylle schooled me. She was right, of course. If I risked the trailing pieces, I would need fewer rolls to recover. I stored that little piece of knowledge away. Such a simple game, but it had a deceptive bit of strategy mixed with its luck.

"You have a strong mind, Mylle," I said as I rolled and spent way too long determining the best move. I guess the compliment made her bolder.

"Why do you tolerate Angelica and me, my Lord?" Mylle asked. I looked up from the board to a set of inquisitive eyes. I was not sure how to answer her.

"Why should I not? Happiness is important to me. You make each other happy, so be it." I answered. For some reason the optimal move came to me, and I quickly moved my pieces, blocking a good piece of a quadrant on the board. I was pleased with the move.

"Most think we are less because of it," Mylle pointed out. She rolled and again moved her pieces with acuity. It would be a while before I could achieve those unthinking moves.

"We will attempt to disguise it against those who would disagree," I said as I rolled a pair of three pips. It was an exciting roll. The game was addictive. "Among the four of us, there will be no shame." I added. I was able to move two of my blocks in unison. I really enjoyed rolling pairs.

"I can see why Lady Alia and the princess love you, my Lord," Mylle said as she rolled again. I sat up straight at the comment. She was concentrating on the board, analyzing her roll. I could not see what was in her eyes. I realized she was hiding them. She had never taken that long to make a move.

"Is there something bothering you, my Lady?" I asked softly.

"Will you tire of me and send me away, my Lord?" Mylle asked. I could see her fear of Uri in that statement. She did not yet trust her position. I suspected time would cure that, but she needed something now.

"It will be your decision to stay or go," I said clearly, "Angelica loves you dearly, it is my hope you choose to stay." I looked down at the board and smiled, "At least stay until I have won a game." The odds did not look good for the current game.

Mylle moved swifter than I had imagined she could. She rounded the table, and was in my arms before I could react. She held me, her head buried in my shoulder, and I felt her shudder so I enclosed my arms around her. "I do not want to ever leave," she said. Angelica was right, a daughter would be my ruin. I felt an innate need to protect Mylle from whatever was upsetting her. She had Angelica's quick mind, but lacked her strength. I lent her some of mine.

Mylle and I finished the second game and played three more. Out of the five, I had won only one. I suspect I was a little flamboyant with my victory. A rash of pairs had led to it, more so than any skill. All the same, it was a good feeling, and Mylle allowed me to enjoy it. I insisted we play again, soon. That seemed to please Mylle more than my victory pleased me.

<<<<<>>>>>

"How was Mylle's game?" Alia asked as we prepared to retire for the night.

"It is a good game," I answered, "I intend to get better at it. It is good the way it makes you think. You have to build offense and defense at the same time, but live within what you roll. I can see it will teach me things." Alia sighed and looked at me, exasperated.

"How was Mylle?" Alia reworded. I smiled at missing the nuance of her first attempt.

"I like her," I replied, "she thinks quickly." I paused a moment thinking of the reassurance she needed. "I do not think she was well thought of before. I tried to allay her fears." Lucius knocked on the door, and I bade him enter.

"The princess, my Lord," Lucius said as Angelica followed him in. Lucius closed the door on his way out.

"May I borrow him a moment?" Angelica asked Alia. Alia nodded with a smile. I was not sure if I was property to be lent. Angelica moved gracefully toward me and surprised me with a pleasant kiss on my lips. It still felt like an aunt's kiss, but it was an aunt I liked very much. "Mylle has come back to me fully, I thank you for that," Angelica said. She smiled at Alia and headed out the door.

"I guess the game went better than you knew," Alia said sweetly.

To be continued...

DreamCloud
DreamCloud
7,625 Followers