The Marriage Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DreamCloud
DreamCloud
7,621 Followers

We finished the greetings, and had a few moments to ourselves before the banquet began. I led Angelica to an empty room which was mostly used for storage. Everywhere habitable was filled to overflowing, and I preferred we talked alone for a moment.

"That dress is enchanting," I started, "for beauty, there is none to compare you with today."

"Alia thought it would awaken you, my husband." Angelica moved closer in a non-sister-like fashion. The idea my mistress was instructing my wife was both provocative and worrisome. "Are you pleased?"

"The vision is most pleasing," I replied. Angelica gracefully slid her body against mine. She ran her hand down one side of my head and placed her cheek next to mine. It was arousing, and not quite right at the same time. Her lips softly kissed my earlobe.

"Is this right?" Angelica asked. I made the mistake of a small chuckle. "You do not like it?" she asked, with sorrow in her voice. I hugged her close and kissed her cheek.

"We cannot force it," I said, "and, yes, I like it. It is certainly not your beauty that will get in the way. Your touch is sweet, and I have desire for it. Mayhap we should forget the end and work on the beginning." I kissed her lips and felt her kiss back. This time she chuckled.

"It is true, something is missing," Angelica said and smiled to soften it, "tonight I intend you to have me either way. I will try to not be displeasing." I took her hands in mine and kissed the backs.

"You could never be displeasing," I said, "we have love. The rest will come." I smiled. "I am looking forward to seeing your secrets." I expected a slap on the arm as before. I received a kiss.

"And you shall," Angelica said, "we will know all of each other. We shall have children and love them. You will be a wonderful father and king. We will share it all with Alia and Mylle. We are the knot that holds it all together and tonight we tie it tight." She was determined to consummate the marriage tonight. I only hoped the pressure did not prove our undoing.

"You will be a wonderful mother and queen," I added.

"Will you dance with Mylle tonight?" Angelica asked, changing the subject.

"Of course," I replied.

"She needs more of you," Angelica said, "Alia and I have been discussing you much. I fear she feels left out not knowing you as well."

"I worry about Alia," I added, "I fear tonight will weigh heavily on her."

Angelica smiled. "Alia wishes well for us tonight. She desires to have you to herself again once I am fat with child." Angelica laughed. "Three wives will stretch you thin, my husband." I sighed.

"Thin enough to win a contest again?" I asked. Storm and I had failed time and again to duplicate our first victory. It was tolerable since I did enjoy Angelica's winning smile.

"Mayhap we fatten you up to guarantee my victories," Angelica said, tweaking my stomach. I pulled her back into my arms and hugged her close. It was not uncomfortable.

"Are you happy, my wife?" I asked. It was a strange union, this shared fate of ours.

"Yes, my husband," Angelica answered. I held her as she cozied her head into my shoulder. My mind drifted to the future, now that it had been set. Children with two unrelated aunts who seemed all too close to their parents. The only thing of certainty was love. I hoped it would be enough.

<<<<<>>>>>

We arrived to great fanfare at the banquet hall. There were many tables. All except one were parallel to the long walls. An area was left open in the center for ceremonies and dancing. We paraded down the center to the main table at the back of the room. Everyone rose with much cheering and applause. I tried to be an adequate chaperone to Angelica's beauty. She was too exquisite, so most guests probably did not even notice me. She handled radiance well.

The kings and queens and Uri were seated at the main table. It was a good sign that Uri had not left entirely. He may not be happy with the union, but at least he would tolerate it. Angelica's father, King Toric, looked healthy so we should have many years to win him over. Uri could not hate his sister for eternity.

Next to my mother, as she had decided, sat Abigal with Balen to her side. He was having a wonderful time, if his face was any indication. Abigal looked relaxed. I would have to thank my mother for that. I made sure I acknowledged Balen as we passed to our seats. What little luck I could pass out, I would.

The toasts began after the wine glasses were filled. After each one, Angelica and I were required to kiss. It became fun, kissing a smiling face had its pleasures. Around the table the toasts traveled, both kings and both queens spoke of the wonder of our growth since childhood. Anecdotes of our youth were dredged up for all to hear. The wine was potent and the refills often, so the stories became more funny than embarrassing after a time. Uri, not unexpectedly, failed to toast.

Balen gave a brief, tasteful toast to our future happiness. I was proud his voice did not shy in such an august hall. Abigal looked panicked when it passed to her. For a moment, I thought she would let it pass. My mother whispered in her ear and a smile formed. She stood with her glass raised.

"To the prince and the princess, may they be blessed with many children the queen can spoil," Abigal said loudly. There was a loud clamor and pounding on the tables for the first mention of an heir, oblique as it was. I thought for a moment they would insist we start there, on the table. My mother was smiling uncontrollably at me. Balen was unquestionably proud of his mother.

The toasts done, the food was brought out. Lamb, roast beef, ham and fish had been secured. It was a welcome smell that filled the hall, and the food dulled the effects of the wine. Potatoes seasoned well and tossed with carrots were added to each table. A grainy bread with a woodsy flavor was served with thick slices of cheese. Somehow, my father had found a large supply of winter apples. They had been cooked into a tart with a wonderful sweetness. It was grand feast for the dead of winter.

I was in a lively conversation about horse training and how to augment it to a particular horse's personality when I noticed my wife was missing. I found her with my eyes, in the far corner of the open floor. King Toric, who had seen my searching eyes, looked at me with a large smile.

"How is your singing voice, Prince?" the king asked.

"She would not!" I responded quickly. Uri snickered - the first human response I had heard from him. "I sing like a frog. She knows that." The king broke out laughing. His queen was covering her mouth to hide her own laugh. The rest of the faces at the table were staring at me in different shades of humor, having sensed what was to come.

A wonderful tuneful voice broke over the din. All went quiet as my wife began the first verse of the Seekers. It was an old tradition that should have, in my mind, died out long ago. The Seekers was an old tale of two lovers who lost each other and spent years searching the world. They would nearly find each other many times, and, finally in the end, they do. We all knew the words from childhood. It was a pretty song when sung by the bride and groom, each trading verses in solo. They circle each other on the dance floor until, finally, the song ends and they find each other in the middle. It is romantic, for those who could carry a tune.

"Welcome to married life," my father said with a healthy grin.

"I will make ears bleed." I panicked as I stood hesitantly from my chair. This brought more stifled laughter.

"I will second you, my Lord." Balen stood as he spoke.

"You have a voice?" I asked quickly. Angelica would be done with her verse soon.

"The sheep have never complained, my Lord," Balen responded. The table was unable to hold back the laughter now. Abigal was nodding her faith in her son's voice. I took her word for it.

"My corner, master Balen," I said as I headed to the edge of the floor. Balen followed. Angelica had already started her slow march along the outside of the floor. Her voice teasing the ear and a smile made to tease me. I thought the need for an heir was already pressure enough. I questioned her sense in this, and prayed Balen's optimism was not unfounded. I stepped out on the floor just as Angelica finished her verse. I closed my eyes and waited for Balen to begin.

The laughter stopped abruptly when Balen's first notes swept across the hall. I had to look back to see if it was truly him. His voice carried the yearning the verse described. I could feel the poor soul's misery in losing his love. Balen could more than carry a tune, he possessed it. It was pleasant beyond words. I could see the look in Angelica's eyes, one of surprise and humorous anger at having her plan defeated. Angelica looked back at her corner, and Alia smiled at her. I was not sure what it meant, but I saw meaning there. Angelica had not given in, and Alia was helping her. We circled each other as Balen came to the end of my verse. I was smiling hard at my wife, proud of my decision to bring Balen along. Luck was handed to me again.

When the next verse began, Alia joined her voice with Angelica's. They meant to have me torturing ears. There was little I could do on the floor. Angelica's smile grew as we circled each other. She had thrown down the gauntlet. I would have to plan a suitable revenge. She was having too much fun at my expense. I prepared myself for the laughter that was sure to follow the opening of my mouth.

Angelica and Alia finished their verse and I opened my mouth to start mine. A deep baritone added to Balen's voice. I turned to see Ruddi had joined Balen. I had no idea the man could sing. A wonderful harmony wafted through the room. The smile of victory returned to my lips. I directed it at my new bride. She was shaking her head at the impossibility of it as we circled ever closer to each other. The king's mention of an early grave came back to me when Mylle joined Angelica and Alia in the bride's final verse. Three angels in consonance. I hoped I had another friend out there, willing to lend me his throat. All three were smiling at me, letting me know this had been planned. Three against one were not favorable odds.

Another deep voice joined Ruddi and Balen. King Toric had turned traitor on his only daughter and joined my corner. I was now circling like a proud cock, king of the roost. Angelica was laughing at her defeat as we circled closer. I added some cocky spins to my step, now that I had nothing left to fear. The final verse started, sung in unison by all six singers. It spoke of the lovers finding each other. As the verse ended, I swept my wife into my arms and kissed her. For the briefest of moments, it was not my aunt I was kissing.

"You have thwarted me, my husband," Angelica said through the cheers that greeted the end of the dance.

"Never challenge a prince and his sheepherder, " I returned, smiling. "Even your own father saw the merit in your defeat."

"He did not defeat me," Angelica said, "he supported you. A most important distinction. One that Uri and others will not fail to see." Her mind was truly quick.

"You planned this?" I asked.

"No," Angelica's smile broadened, "I planned to bring laughter to the hall with your singing. It was fate that turned it better - that, and that lovely master Balen. Did you know he had a voice?" I shook my head.

"It was a risk, but you left me few options," I said humorously, "it was a wicked jest you attempted."

"It was in fun," Angelica said, "to show all we are human. No different than a sheepherder sitting with kings and queens. I meant no offense." She looked worried. I suppose wicked was too strong a word. I kissed her again; she was my wife, and I would not have her think I was upset with her.

"The main table and I knew it for what it was," I said softly, "I took no offense, my love." Her smile returned. There was a pounding at the main table, my father was gathering attention with a pewter mug against the wood.

"I ask for the groom's speech," he called loudly. The dancing would not begin until I had spoken. I grinned at him, his timing was good with both Angelica and me at the center.

"As you will, your Highness," I called back, bowing deeply. I cannot sing, but I did vs do not fear my auditory. Attention moved from the king to me, and I turned slowly to address all as best I could. I had some nonsense prepared, but decided at that moment to depart from it.

"Last day," I started loudly, "I rode to the countryside to free my mind from the preparations for this ceremony. There was a time I would have preferred a smaller affair, my bride and me together was all that was needed. I rode, that day, through a flock of sheep much to the ire of master Herdsman," I smiled and pointed at Balen who, for once, seemed to shy away. "We talked, he unknowing my position so the truth of his words were beyond any doubt. If memory serves, he described the princess," I took Angelica's hand in mine, "my wife, as having the face of an angel, and so sweet you could taste honey as she walked by. He had the right of it, so here he sits at our banquet, some of his own livelihood served well on our platters. He, his mother and all our subjects are the reason for this union. They work the days and nights, fill our banquet tables and make all this possible. They ask only for peace and security in return. The Lion and Bear have joined." I held Angelica's hand high with mine."We give both our peoples peace through marriage. 'Tis a grand bonus that my princess is sweet as honey with a face of an angel." I dropped to my knee and kissed my wife's hand as cheers went up. I stood.

"Master musician," I shouted, "I wish to dance with my wife." Angelica was beaming which warmed my heart. The music started, and we danced for the first time as husband and wife. We danced alone, the first song.

"Sweet as honey, face of an angel" Angelica smiled, "I must dance with this Balen."

"He is most impressed with you, " I said, "do not tease too much. He may take it seriously and do away with me."

"A dance and a kiss, "Angelica said. "All the better if it makes you jealous." I swung Angelica around and caught Alia's eyes. I was happy to see her smile. This night was worrisome still. I brought myself back to Angelica, and danced with my mind on her.

When the song ended, and the applause subsided, we exited the floor to allow others to dance. There was no more ceremony for the night. The rest was all festival and happiness. I thanked Ruddi for his voice. He accepted gracefully. I went toward the main table to thank Balen, and found him engaged with Sir Adkin Harvard, a ranking lord from the Kingdom of Laquorettee. The lad seemed to be holding his own.

"Sir, if you provide the means of travel, " Balen said confidently, "I would be most pleased to second you." My memory awakened, I remembered Harvard's pending nuptials with the Lady Marigold. Balen will be popular as the spring marriage season swept through the courts.

"Are you stealing our most loyal subject, Sir Harvard?" I asked as I neared.

"Only borrow him, Prince," Harvard replied, "he will be the better for it, and I will save ridicule. Lady Marigold will do no different than your princess." I laughed at the panic in his eyes. I do not believe he was laughing when Angelica sang me out.

"I thank you, master Balen," I said sincerely. "You rescued me in my time of need. I am in your debt."

"But you thwarted my plan, young master," Angelica said coming up behind me, "I demand a dance in payment for such an insult."

"My Prince, Sir, " Balen bowed, "I must redeem myself with my Princess. Please forgive me." He turned, smiling to my wife, and held out his hand properly. She laid hers atop, and he escorted her to the floor. It was as if he was born to it.

"A sheepherder." Harvard said incredulously.

"Was a lucky coincidence, Sir," I said, shaking my head. "I invited him on a lark. I thought I was giving him a treat, and now he dances with my wife and you employee him. Who knew he had a voice like that?"

"Worth his weight to not look the fool," Harvard added.

"Aye, Sir, he is that," I laughed.

I thanked King Toric who swore he was just protecting his ears from my caterwauling. I forced him to accept my gratitude none the same. As promised, I found Mylle and requested a dance. She accepted, smiling, and I escorted her to the floor.

"You sing well, my Lady," I said as I carried out steps that brought us close.

"Thank you, my Lord," Mylle replied, "and you survived the ambush well." To this she added a sly smile. She wore it well, and it showed humor in her. A new side I had not seen before. I had been overly worried about Alia, and I had forgotten Mylle would share her lover tonight as well. Concern filled me.

"Does tonight fret you, my Lady?" I asked quietly. The music and overall din of the festivities covered us well.

"A little, my Lord," Mylle replied, "she does not...love well when strained. I fear it will be difficult for the two of you." It was not what was going to happen that bothered her, it was how Angelica and I felt about it that concerned her. "You must be tender, my Lord, and slow. She will be brave which will not help. It is soft touching that she enjoys." My face was warming as she spoke. Visions of her and Angelica together found their way into my mind. It struck me that Alia and Angelica may have had similar talks. A truly strange union.

"Soft touching," I repeated, urging Mylle to continue. It was best to learn what I could.

"You are beet red, my Lord," Mylle said smiling. I wondered if others noticed since it was apparent to her. I twirled her away as the step demanded, and it was a few moments before we closed back together.

"Does this talk make you uncomfortable, my Lord?" Mylle asked.

"Yes, my Lady," I answered, "though this union asks for such things. I fear it will damage you and Alia. It would be for naught if we all harm each other." Mylle leaned in close.

"It is we that fear damaging you, my Lord," Mylle said softly, "it is foremost in our discussions. Alia fears you will ruin all for her, Angelica fears no heir and your dislike of it and I fear losing what I have gained if we fail." I was forced to step away from her again, and circle one way then the other before I could return.

"We must talk more, my Lady," I said as we locked arms and stepped round each other. '''Tis important we remove the fear. It does harm by being there." The song came to an end. I bowed, Mylle curtsied and I escorted her from the floor. There was much to do to preserve my strange family. An heir was only the first step.

I danced with others; the groom was fair game at weddings. I tried to dance with Alia, but she avoided me. It was Angelica's night, and I fear Alia thought it best if we did not converse until it was over. Alia was my true passion, avoiding each other was for the best, though I disliked it. My mother found me milling about, engaging in small talk.

"You have time for your mother?" my mother asked, pulling me away from my conversation. "It was a beautiful ceremony," she continued as we moved away from ears. She had words for me that she did not want to share.

"You have danced with most women here, but your bride only once," my mother said when we were out of range. "You two must make a show of it. It is past time for you to retire with her, and some might take notice. Alia is worried and she has the right of it." Alia will not talk with me, but she has my mother's ear. I added my mother to the list of women who now steered my doings.

"Yes," I said quietly, "we have been delaying, though not by intention." I paused, thinking how we had shied from each other. "It is hard on both of us, though we deny it. I thank you for bringing it forward." My mother kissed my cheek and pointed to the Angelica. She was dancing with a titled knight. I could not remember the name. Her smile was pleasant, though I knew it to be forced. I could see that much in her now. I moved to intercede.

DreamCloud
DreamCloud
7,621 Followers