The Maturation of Vinnie Pt. 02

Story Info
Vinnie continues his pursuit of the lovely, enigmatic Dana.
7.2k words
4.78
21.5k
2

Part 2 of the 4 part series

Updated 10/19/2022
Created 02/24/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,595 Followers

Chapter Six:

We worked our asses off that summer. I think the whole five months were just mashed together and I can't recall anything that would really separate June from September except the number of daylight hours we had to work with. By the beginning of October, we had probably done more jobs than I figured we would do in the whole year. The crews were getting worn out and I knew it was time to back off the pressure. Luckily, we weren't getting as many new jobs offered, so we could start to plan for some missing crew members.

The guys had made a lot of money in a very short period of time. The smallest take of any of the crew was over $60,000 for the five big months and that made them pretty happy. We didn't work any Sundays and tried hard to avoid Saturday afternoons just to keep the wives and girlfriends from rebelling. For myself, I couldn't believe how much I'd made in my first year. I was going to be able to pay Tom off for the money he fronted on my gambling debts and still have plenty left over. It was hard work but we were being rewarded very well for it and we had nothing but satisfied customers.

I hadn't given much thought to Dana over that period. Since the Barbecue, I'd hardly had any time for a social life and no time for a mental struggle with the lady. We saw each other regularly on the job and I have to say her attitude had changed for the better. I was trying out something new for me; patience. Let the lady come to you was the strategy I was using. I was polite, complimentary and more than happy with her work. She was appearing on the site more often than I expected, but I was happy to have her there and she wasn't just wandering around aimlessly. She had questions and she was providing me with some suggestions on how we might be more efficient. It didn't take me long to figure out she was really into her job and our business.

Dana was also doing work for Tom and he was really happy to have her as well. She was super-efficient and very driven. Things we thought would take days to accomplish she had done in a few hours. She had really helped Tom with the Critical Path system update that she recommended. She had implemented it on our jobs and I'll be the first to admit I didn't really understand how it worked, but it worked! It became our operating bible. Tom already had a system, but when she showed him ours, he switched over right away. Tom was paying her very well for her services so she had two jobs and a very nice income.

Dana had decided to distribute the C.P. system updates personally, so, once again, she was on the jobsites frequently. It was on one of those morning visits when disaster almost struck. It had been raining for three straight days. We were still working, but in that kind of weather, you just can't move as quickly and safely as you can when it's warm and dry. On top of that, most of us were wearing some kind of rain gear and all that did was slow us down and make us hot when we really got going.

Dana arrived about nine that morning and I noticed that she was wearing what I thought were dress clothes under her raincoat. I was about to say something to her when she walked up the double-up 2 X 12 ramp to the entrance on the main floor. She was wearing some sort of low heeled leather shoes and as she got within a couple of feet of the house, her feet went out from under her and she fell heavily onto the ramp. She'd managed to catch her arm over the ramp but it was wet and slick and she began to slip over the side. There was a drop of almost ten feet into the cavity in front of the foundation and the fall would have certainly meant injury to her.

I'm not sure how it happened, but I was right at the end of the plank when she slipped and without thinking I stepped out on the plank and grabbed her arm just before it slipped off the plank and she fell into the trench. She was dangling there by the one arm and it took all my strength to pull her up so that she could wrap her other arm over the ramp. Once that was accomplished, I could pick her up under her arms and pull her to safety in the house.

She was clearly shaken but with the exception of a couple of abrasions and some stretched muscles, I was pretty sure she wasn't injured badly. I helped her into the house and led her to an area that was dry and had a stool she could sit on. She had lost a shoe and her briefcase in the accident and she had made a mess of her raincoat and pant-suit, but it wasn't anything the dry cleaners couldn't restore.

"That was close." I said, breathing deeply. "You gave me a good scare."

"Me too. I slipped ... and it happened so fast." she said with a gasp.

"I'll get one of the guys to get your shoe and your briefcase." I said, walking to the edge of the building. A couple of the guys on the crew had witnessed the accident and had already retrieved her shoe and briefcase. They were muddy, but otherwise undamaged. They passed them to me and I thanked them and headed back to Dana.

"We can clean these up fairly easily I think." I offered. "Are you hurt anywhere?"

"A couple of scrapes and a sore arm ... not so bad." she said looking at me with a smile. "Thanks for the rescue. I thought that only happened in the movies."

"I did too. I guess I wasn't really thinking ... I just reacted."

"Well, I owe you. I don't know what would have happened if I had fallen in there." she said with a sober look.

I thought about that for a moment and then decided how I would respond.

"OK then ... here's the deal. First, I want you to wear proper shoes and clothes when you come on the site. Something with a good grippy sole like our work boots. You don't need to dress up for us." I smiled.

"And second?" she asked with a wry smile.

"Hmmm ... let's see ... how about dinner on Saturday night. I'll take you to Maurice's. I haven't had a night out in months and I can't think of anyone I'd rather spend it with." It was a risk, but I was tired of dancing around and pretending I would be "the perfect gentleman" forever.

She didn't answer immediately. She looked at me for a long moment and then nodded.

"OK ... pick me up at seven." was her simple answer.

It's funny how simple answers can be complicated. I was so unprepared for her agreement that I didn't know what to do next. Not very cool for a guy who once upon a time was used to getting yes answers to these kinds of questions. So, I did what was becoming a new bad habit for me; I just stood there with my mouth open and a stunned look on my face. Luckily, Dana saved the day. She started to laugh.

"Vinnie, you are so funny." she grinned. "I don't know how you got that reputation of yours, but it couldn't be this way." She had a streak of mud on her face and her clothes were a mess, but somehow, she looked gorgeous. I reached over the tried to wipe the mud off her cheek and she just stood there and let me try. I guess I had a grin on my face too, but it was one of satisfaction. We had finally broken through whatever barrier that she had built all those months ago and we were on equal terms. Or so I thought.

"Seven it is." I said more confidently.

Chapter Seven:

As I was getting dressed on Saturday evening I tried to remember the last time I had been out on a date. It must have been with Marcia, but I really couldn't remember where or when. It didn't matter. This one was way more important. First of all, it was a lot harder to get and second, it was with someone I really wanted to be with. Dana was a real beauty and I had given a lot of thought to what I should wear.

In my old Vinnie days, I would wear something flashy and very modern-cool. I had the feeling though, that I might be smarter to be a bit more conservative. First of all, Maurice's was a nice place usually catering to the over-thirty crowd. Secondly, I wanted Dana to be comfortable and not be upstaged by my trying to show off. I had bought a black blazer for Tom's wedding and with a new pair gray slacks and some nice black shoes. I bought a new cotton dress shirt; white with a gray pinstripe but decided against a tie. I thought that would give me the right look. A bit more mature, I thought.

I told Mom about the date and I guess she told Tom or Jenny because I had a couple of phone calls with suggestions and helpful hints on how not to screw up this big opportunity. As if I wasn't nervous enough already.

There was one other problem. I really didn't think picking her up in my truck was very cool. I had considered renting a car for the evening when Tom stepped in and did something completely unexpected. He let me use his Jaguar for the date. I couldn't believe it. This was his pride a joy; a '61 restored four door sedan with the leather upholstery and a fantastic dark red paint job. This had to be the icing on the cake. I owed him more than one already, so this just added to the total.

When I arrived at Dana's apartment, I was nervous. I wasn't the picture of confidence and I was concerned about making a good impression on our first date. I really wanted a second date and more, of course. I was a few minutes early, so I sat in Tom's car and just waited until it was five to seven before I got out and went to the lobby door. I pushed the buzzer beside her name and waited a moment before she answered.

"You're right on time." I heard the now familiar voice.

"Hi, shall I come up?"

"No, that's OK, I'll just be a minute and meet you in the lobby." she answered in a pleasant voice.

I was kind of hoping I'd get a look at her place, but that would have to wait. About one minute later I heard the elevator move and then stop and then move again. In another minute the doors opened and she walked out and I was stopped dead in my tracks. She was even more gorgeous that I had expected. She was wearing one of those little black dresses that every good looking woman has and with the skinny straps at the shoulders and the deep V cleavage and the length ending just above the knee, it was so simple and yet so fantastic. She was wearing a pair of shiny black high heels; not stilettos, but still, they were just as classy looking as she was. She had a long coat draped over her arm.

"Wow!" It was all I could manage and she walked toward me with a big smile on her face.

"Why thank you, Vinnie. You look very elegant yourself." she said in what seemed to be a sincere voice. I was secretly patting myself on the back for choosing the clothes I had because we looked like a proper couple out for an evening.

"Wow, Dana. You look ... fantastic." I tried again. I helped her as she slipped the coat on and I held out my hand to her before opening the door for her as we headed out to the parking area. I was sure I should be making some kind of small talk, but I was damned if I knew what I could say that was anywhere near intelligent. As we approached Tom's car, Dana turned to me with a shocked look.

"Is this yours?" she asked; obviously referring to the Jaguar.

"No ... I wish. It's Tom's. He loaned it to me since neither of us thought you should be riding around in a work truck tonight." I explained.

"It's beautiful." she said and she ran her finger tips lightly over the deep gloss of the front fender. I opened the passenger side door for her and she slipped into the leather seat in one fluid motion. I closed the door with a light push and a satisfying 'snick' of the latch. As I slid into the driver's seat she was taking in the interior with the black leather seats and the walnut burl on the dash, door panels and steering wheel.

"It even smells wonderful." she said in appreciation. "I feel like we're going to the opening of a play on Broadway or in London."

"They'd be taking your picture when you arrived and wondering who you were." I offered, going along with the theme.

Dana turned toward me and smiled. "You're going all out on this date aren't you." she said with a confident look.

"Yes, I am. It was very difficult to get and I don't intend to waste it." I was beginning to relax a bit; mainly because Dana was clearly enjoying herself.

We had a fifteen minute drive to Maurice's and we talked a bit as the graceful old car rolled quietly through the village. I was almost sorry when we arrived at the restaurant since Dana was so obviously enjoying the ride but I thought perhaps later, after dinner, I might take her for a tour. It was just a shame it was November and dark, but I didn't think she was thinking of that.

Dana waited for me to open her door and help her out and we walked into the restaurant. I identified myself and we were seated almost immediately after the waiter took Dana's coat. I was conscious of several of the men giving Dana the once-over as we walked to our booth and I allowed myself a smile at their envy.

Tom had recommended Maurice's and he was right. It was perfect for us. It was quiet and the menu was Continental. We shared an appetizer of fresh muscles in tangy tomato sauce and then ordered our entrée. Dana chose a light veal dish cooked in a white wine sauce while I decided on the grilled salmon. I didn't want her to think I was just a 'meat and potatoes' guy. The food was just as good as Tom had said it would be and I could see Dana was very happy with her choice. We weren't in any rush and the service was perfect; somehow the waiter appeared only when we wanted him. I ordered a bottle of wine with dinner once I had learned that Dana preferred red wine and I let the waiter decide for us. He obviously chose well because Dana thought it was terrific. I had a lot to learn about wine, so I took her word for it.

I really wanted to talk to Dana and try and learn more about her, but somehow, the restaurant didn't seem like the right place. I wanted more privacy and so our conversation was very general and light. I was with a Dana that I hadn't seen much of before. She was happy and enjoying herself and not the least bit defensive or cold. I probably had a smile on my face for the whole evening because I was feeling that good about it. I must have been staring at her because every once in a while she would look at me like she was wondering what I was thinking. The answer was: how do I get to know her better without spoiling this perfect evening?

"This is a lovely restaurant, Vinnie. It's quiet, the service is perfect and the food is wonderful. You've chosen well." She smiled as she held up her wine glass. I tapped her glass with mine.

"Thanks ... I'm glad you like it." I smiled. "I waited a long time for this and it's been worth it. I think there are a few guys in this room tonight who are very envious of me." I was working in uncharted territory and maybe taking an unnecessary risk, but I was feeling good and I didn't think I was going to get myself into too much trouble.

"Is that your usual line or did you reserve it just for me?" she asked with a sly look on her face.

"Just for you. Besides ... it's true." I said with a serious tone.

"I have to tell you, Vinnie," she said after a moment, "I am surprised. You aren't the guy I was told you were. I thought maybe you were just being on your best behavior because you wanted to get to me, but ... now ... I've changed my mind."

"Dana ... there's an old Vinnie and a new Vinnie. What you heard about me was the old Vinnie. I had to do some growing-up not long ago and I had to change. I admit, I am on my best behavior. I want to impress you. I want to get to know you better. I am attracted to you. But ... things have changed in my life. They had to change." I finished on a serious note.

"I can see that." she admitted. "What caused the change?"

"I got myself into trouble with the wrong people. I was stupid and thought I could just talk my way out of it. I was wrong and if it wasn't for Tom, I might not be here tonight."

"That sounds pretty serious. Were you in trouble with the law?"

"No ... worse ... I was up to my neck in debt and borrowing from a loan shark. It got ugly and I got a real lesson in what happens when you don't play by their rules."

"So ... when did all this happen?" she asked timidly.

"Almost exactly one year ago." I said, remembering that painful episode. "Some guys take a little longer to grow up than other guys do." I offered.

"That's a hard way to learn." she said seriously.

"Yah ... but I was lucky. I had a brother who was looking out for his stupid kid brother. I owe Tom a lot; not just for looking after the bad guys, but for making me understand I had to change." I realized I wasn't looking at Dana, but at my wine glass. What's that old saying: "In Vino Veritas"? We hadn't had that much wine, but I realized I was telling her the absolute truth about me; nothing hidden.

When she reached across the table with her hand to touch and hold mine, that same electric feeling from the other day passed through me again. I looked up at her and her expression was serious and yet she was also smiling. I guess I smiled in return, but it wasn't my happy smile, it was my wrinkled, unsure smile.

"I like the new Vinnie." she said quietly.

"Thanks. I think I like him better too." I said lamely.

Chapter Eight:

The mood brightened from there and we shared a dessert. Neither of us seemed in any rush to end the evening. The conversation hadn't gotten any more personal and I still wasn't any wiser about who she was and what secrets she held. I quit worrying about it. I was just going to enjoy my time with her and think about the other stuff some other time. I wasn't wearing a wristwatch, so I didn't really know how long we had been there, but when I looked around, the restaurant was almost empty and a clock on the mantel of the fireplace said it was nearly ten o'clock. We had been there over two and a half hours and it seemed like just a few minutes.

Finally, I paid the check and we headed out to the car. I was really uncertain about what to do next. I didn't want the evening to end but I was just as sure I didn't want to spoil it either. I decided the new Vinnie would just 'fess up.

"Dana ... I don't know what to do next. This has been such a great time and I really don't want it to end, but I don't know what you want."

She smiled at me as she slipped into the front seat and without getting an answer, I slowly closed the door. As I got into the driver's side and began to put the key in the ignition, her hand covered mine and she leaned toward me. The kiss was as unexpected as anything else that evening. I must have just sat there like a brick, because she kissed me and then moved back to her seat.

"Why don't we go to my place and I'll make some coffee. Maybe it's time you had your curiosity satisfied." she said in a voice that would give a statue an erection.

I didn't dare say anything. I'd screw it up for sure. My brain was already on overload and it was everything I could do to get the car started and move out onto the road and head back toward her apartment. After we had been driving for a minute or two, I reached out with my hand towards her and she took it in hers and held it. I glanced over at her but she was looking straight ahead with no expression on her face as far as I could tell. We rode the rest of the way in silence.

I thought about pulling her toward me and kissing her when I helped her from the car and again when we were in the elevator and finally when she closed the apartment door behind us, but each time I chickened out. She was completely in control of me and I was just happy I had gotten this far. I helped her off with her coat and hung it in the hall closet, then followed her into the Living Room. I was about to look around and get a feel for the place when she walked up to me, wrapped her arms around my neck and gave me a kiss that started from her toes and came all the way up through her body. It took me a moment, but I was soon right there with her.

coaster2
coaster2
2,595 Followers
12