The Meaning of One Word

Story Info
He had to experience it to understand.
6.8k words
4.52
61.6k
15
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Scorpio44a
Scorpio44a
2,160 Followers

**This is a companion story to "It Started in the Rain" which has six chapters as of this writing. It began as a story submitted by Scorpio44 and chapter six was submitted as Scorpio44A. This story is intended to make sense without reading "It Started..." but they both belong together.

As always I encourage feedback, email and voting.

Thank you.

**

I'm not one of those people who counts everything. My sister is. When she cuts a banana for her cereal in the morning she always cuts it into thirteen slices. She lived in a second floor apartment for years and counted the nineteen steps up every time she climbed the stairs. Ask her how many days it is until Christmas. She knows. I'll need to think about it to tell you how many months it is until Christmas.

Twenty years ago my first marriage ended. It ended poorly, for me. The only negative for her was that she no longer had all my money to spend. Key word "all". She still got plenty with spousal support and child support. I won't go into all the little things that contributed to the demise of our union, I hurt when I go there. Let's just say the two main contributing factors were that she publically said, "It would be great if I never ever had sex again" and, in private, she told me that she had never loved me.

Within a year I was living with a woman, Neela, who enjoyed sex with me and who said, "I love you" in both private and public places. With her in my life my experience of sex and affection expanded and I joined the mile-high-club, the sixty-foot-club (scuba diving), the AMTRAK Club, Greyhound Club and added other experiences I don't think they have clubs for. First wife never wanted to be a member of any club where fun was a qualifier for admission (after our first five years together). On the first and second anniversary of our divorce I sent Thank You cards to the first wife. I missed seeing the kids every day much more than I missed her, as it turns out.

In the third year Neela and I were together she came home one day and brought a friend with her. Neela had gone to her doctor's appointment for an annual check-up and came home just in time for dinner. Her yearly doctor's appointment was always in the second week of May. Her friend and I had met a few times before that evening. Her name was Sara. No one would look at the two and ever think, 'Sisters.' Neela was five-seven, a hundred-fifteen pounds, caramel colored skin and dark brown hair. Long legs and "A" cup breasts. I had thought of myself as a breast man before Neela took me to bed. From that time on I was a confirmed breast-legs-ass man who loved her belly, back, lips, face, hands and neck as well. Sara was a little shorter, a little heavier, skin much more like cream than caramel and dark blond hair. Sara carried, what my oldest son called, a "rack" when he met her. I discovered her rack translated to a delightful "D" cup chest.

Dinner was on the table when Neela arrived. In less than a minute I had another place setting on the table and poured both ladies some wine. I sensed there was no celebration in either woman. We took a couple bites of salad and Neela said, "Nick, you know I went to the doctor today." I nodded.

She continued, "Sara was there for her check-up, too." I nodded again. "She helped me get home. I have bad news. Preliminary bad news, but bad news. I have cancer." Her eyes bored holes into my face, looking for my reaction. It wasn't hard to find.

I moved closer and said, "Shit! What kind? What can we do?" Tears started down her face and I moved to hold her in my arms. I kissed her cheek and neck as I held her.

"Nick. Doctor Willkins wants me in the hospital tomorrow for tests. They know I have cancer, but not the details. They found things in my blood when I gave them blood last week."

"Maybe..." As soon as I said the word her head came up and her eyes met mine.

"The only maybe is how long I have. They found cancer cells in my blood! Not leukemia cells, metastasizing cells. I'm already dead." It had taken her a while to get the words out. As hard as they were for me to hear they were harder for her to say. We held on and cried together for a while. I totally ignored Sara and dinner.

Sara cleaned up dinner, did the dishes and replenished the wine glasses. I noticed when Neela looked up at me again and said, "You aren't running?"

"I never said I'd love you until you got a headache. I'm here. I'm staying."

She nodded and kissed me. The kiss was soft and warm.

"Nick, I've loved living with you..."

"We're not done! Please don't talk in the past tense." I said.

She put a finger to my lips and said, "Nick, I've loved living with you. It has taken us, working together, to create the loving home we have together. I'm not going to be able to keep up my side of our partnership. On the way home I thought about it. I don't know how soon, but soon I won't be able to work. Half the money we live on will be gone. The division of labor will change, too. I don't know what's going to happen or how fast."

"Back in the sixties we said we had to keep on keeping on. That's what we'll do now, too. I'll find a way." I said, knowing full well I didn't have a way, a plan or even an idea.

"I already found a way. Listen to me, my Lover, my friend. I brought Sara home to us. She knows all about us and likes you. She's moving in with us and will help you take care of me. For now, we all have jobs and we'll go to work every day. The money will keep coming in until it doesn't. I'll quit when I have to. Sara will cut back her hours for a while and you'll keep working."

"You've talked this through?"

"Traffic was bad. It took us two hours to get home." Sara said as she nodded.

I was having trouble wrapping my mind around what was happening. Sara stood and helped us stand. Taking us by our hands she led us to the couch and had me sit in the middle. Neela sat to one side of me and Sara sat on my other side. Neela wrapped my arm around her body, placing my hand over her breast and her hand held it in place.

Sara wrapped my other arm around her body and placed my other hand over her breast, holding it in place with her hands. They both looked into my face. Neela asked, "Got the picture?"

"You're serious?" I asked. They nodded.

I turned my head towards Sara and asked, "Why would you do this?"

"Neela and I have been friends for years. I'm bi. Neela and I have been really close friends for years. We have talked often while you've been with her and I was with Bonnie. Bonnie ran off a few months ago. I've stayed in the apartment we shared and I'm barely making it. I've considered moving back to Iowa to my brothers farm and his protestant community." She made a face. "When Neela and I talked in the car I realized I can love Neela and you. I've sensed what kind of man you are since you and Neela met. Together we can help Neela by loving her along whatever journey she's on."

Neela spoke, "And, love each other now and after I'm gone." She pressed my hand a little tighter against her breast.

"Ok. I can see the logic and the sense what you say makes, but we're not just dealing with logic and good sense. We're emotional beings as well. You're proposing that Sara and I become lovers. I've been living a monogamous life since I met you. I haven't touched anyone sexually except you in three years, plus." I said.

"My deal with you has been no sex with anyone, but you. I want us both to let go of that deal. I request a new three-way agreement. Sara, will you agree to limit your sexual expression of intimacy to things you do with Nick, with me and with us?"

"I agree!" She leaned across me and kissed Neela. On her way back she kissed me. Both kisses included tongue.

Neela asked, "Nick, will you agree to limit your sexual expression of intimacy to things you do with Sara, with me and with us?"

"Yes!" I kissed Neela first, then turned and kissed Sara again.

Neela smiled and said, "I promise to limit my sexual expression to Nick and Sara for the rest of my life." She leaned across me, held my cock through my jeans and kissed Sara. It took a while. When the kiss ended Sara said, "God, how I've missed your lips!"

Neela sat up a little and kissed me. When the kiss ended I said, "Damn, I've missed those lips!" Sara started to laugh and Neela said, "We kissed last night!"

"We did more than kiss last night, but it's been over eight hours and I start withdrawal after three hours!"

Both of them moved from beside me to in my lap and the serious kissing began. I was the explorer. Sara and Neela had been intimate before. We did eventually eat, after.

After, I was introduced to being included in the soft loving of Neela and Sara. They varied their actions from incredibly soft, gentle and slow to frantic and forceful. They asked for what they wanted and gave fully. Some of the loving was Sara and Neela reuniting and renewing their intimate physicality. They did some tribbing while I watched. Some of the intimacy was all three of us connecting. When Neela sucked me Sara used her mouth, hands and attitude to create magic for both of us. As I slid into Neela, Sara guided me home with her hands and then she touched us both as we mated. Before I came Neela said, "Give it to Sara. Love her completely."

We twisted, turned, rolled over and did all those things again as the three of us became a family. By midnight we were all asleep in our queen bed. When we got up the next morning I knew we were buying a new bed. A bigger bed.

Over the next few days we worked during the days and moved Sara in the evenings. By the end of the week Neela was so much weaker we took her back to the oncologist. On Saturday Neela was in the hospital having tests done. Sunday they had IV bags hanging next to her. I spoke to the doctors almost every day. At first they tried to sound hopeful, but by the end of the week that had stopped. Neela started looking paler and like she was losing weight. We listened as the doctors and nurses discussed Neela. What I heard scared me. What Sara heard scared her, too. We traded nights sleeping beside Neela's bed. We wanted to be with her and we wanted, needed, to keep our jobs.

Friday when Sara and I got to the hospital the nurse watching over Neela immediately called the doctor. I sensed that this would be the bad news we needed but didn't really want. When the doctor found us he was in scrubs and they were covered with a mostly clean white coat.

We sat together and doctor Galindo said, "I don't sugar coat things. The cancer is advanced and growing. With the MRI and Cat scan we have found eight tumors larger than a golf ball and other smaller ones."

Sara and I nodded and I asked, "Chemo?"

"I don't recommend it. If we had seen this a year ago, I'd be saying let's get her started. Finding this now tells us it's too advanced and is growing very quickly. Radiation and chemo might extend her life another month, but it would be a month filled with pain, pain we won't be able to control. If Neela was my wife, my sister, I would do my best to have her be comfortable and do anything she wants to do."

Sara asked, "How long?"

He shrugged, "Three weeks to three months. We're guessing. If she's always wanted to visit Hawaii, go tomorrow! She will start getting weaker every day. In the five days she's been here she's down three pounds already,"

"She can go home with us now?" I asked. He nodded.

"The nurse will set you up with the pain meds I want you to have. Come back about every four days unless you're in Hawaii. Don't make an appointment, just come"

While we talked the nurses got everything ready for Neela to come home. I signed papers without reading them. Either I trusted them or I didn't. I didn't see a choice. I carried a bag and Sara carried a bag as a nurse wheeled Neela to the curb.

As we drove home Neela said, "They didn't give me a diet. Does that mean I can have what I want?"

"What do you want?" Sara and I asked in unison.

"An ice cream cone."

I found a Foster's freeze and bought each of us a cone. I had them put Neela's in a bowl. She ate down to the cone and then Sara broke the cone and fed her the pieces with a spoon.

We got her home and into bed. Sara stayed with her and I went back to work. While I was gone Sara got on the computer and the phone and let our friends and family know the score.

When I got home from work Sara left Neela and went to make dinner. I vetoed that idea and asked Neela what she wanted to eat. We'd order it delivered. She wanted Chinese. She gave her order and I called it in to a nearby Chinese restaurant. Lee's

Chinese Garden. The food was always perfect and the people were kind and loving. The delivery was made by the owner's son or daughter, both named Lee.

When the food arrived the son saw Neela and asked that I come out to his car to get my change. When we were outside her gently asked what was happening to Neela. I explained everything about Neela's cancer to him. He asked if he could tell a friend of his about Neela. I instantly worried his friend was a faith healer, an herbal salesman or something like that. I said so.

Young Mr. Lee said, "I promise he will not sell you anything, tell you how to cure you wife or anything like that. He will introduce you to his family and all of them will love you and care for you, for the rest of your lives."

I gave him permission and her wrote his friend's number on the back of a brown paper bag from his car. He said, "If something happens and you need help... any kind of help, call that number. No matter who answers tell them what you need and tell them I told you to call. Please."

I promised. He left and I walked back inside. We ate great food and talked. As we ate we touched each other, fed each other and deepened the bond between us. I told them both about what young Mr. Lee had said. Neela got quiet and then said, "When the moment comes, call the number. I trust him to steer us in a good way."

I used a magnet and stuck the brown paper to our refrigerator. We cleaned up dinner and helped Neela and each other get ready for and into bed. We put Neela in the middle and both of us held her. She fell asleep first. Sara whispered and said, "I love you."

"I love both of you and I thank you. I think without you I would collapse in fear and sadness."

"Together we'll get through the pain. Neela may go, but she's leaving her love here with us. Hold on to the love."

We slept. As I went to sleep I expected to hear the alarm at six-fifteen waking Sara so she could go to work. It was still dark when I was awakened. It was worse. Something was wrong! Neela's breathing wasn't right.

The bedside lamp came on and both Sara and I looked at Neela. She stopped breathing for a few seconds and then gasped a breath. I touched her and she didn't react. We shook her and still no reaction. I called 911. Sara called the hospital and told them we had called 911. Sara and I threw on some clothes and then I remembered the brown paper bag.

I went to the kitchen on the run, grabbed the paper and then had second thoughts. 'The man doesn't know us! It's two in the morning! I already called for paramedics!"

I picked up the phone and dialed the number. It rang twice and a female voice said, "Megan."

In less than a minute I told her everything. She said, "Which hospital? What is your address? Her name?"

The EMT's came in and got Neela on a gurney. They started out the door and I said, "Cedars." They nodded and Sara followed them out. I gave Megan what she asked for and she said, "We'll meet you at Cedars." The line went dead. I finished dressing and Sara drove. When we got to Cedars Neela had already been seen. Her oncologist was there.

"She had a tumor burst in her lung. When it burst it bled into her lung. We have her in the OR now and it looks promising, but I make no promises. She is very sick."

The nurse pointed us to couches and she and the oncologist went back into the OR.

We held to each other and didn't talk. We knew there would be incidents before the end, but knowing isn't the same as having it happen. Ten minutes or an hour later the automatic doors opened and three people came into the hospital. The older of the three looked around the waiting room and headed straight for us. He knelt in front of me and said, "I'm Lee. You called for our help. What's happening now?"

Before I could say anything Sara spoke. The two women with Lee sat on either side of Sara and I. Sara outlined everything we knew. The man kneeing never moved while Sara and I described Neela, her condition and the prognosis of the moment. Each of the women with him had a hand on us as we talked. When we were done Lee said, "Ok. We're up to speed. What things need to happen so you can stay here and be with Neela?"

The blond took out a PDA and as we made a verbal list she tapped keys. Lee said, "This is Megan, my daughter. She makes notes faster than I can talk. The other woman with us is Connie, my wife. They hugged us and Connie said, "We are your support team. Getting through this stressful time needs support. Neela needs both of you to be strong and we're here to add to your strength."

Sara asked, "How? There's nothing to do but wait."

Lee got a chair and put it right in front of me. Megan got another chair and put it near Sara. As she sat down she asked, "Do you have family nearby?"

We both shook our heads. I said, "Not really." I was thinking of Neela. She had no living siblings, uncles or anyone I knew of. My family, ex-family, didn't want to know Neela. They had said they didn't want me to be happy. My sister lived in Alaska. She got mail about once a month and didn't have a phone or email.

"You've just been adopted." Connie said. "Lee is Dad and you'll meet family today, tomorrow and forever. Did you eat in the last twelve hours?"

We shook our heads and Megan said, "Sandwiches and water Ok?"

We nodded. She was gone. I asked, "Why are you doing this?"

Lee smiled and said, "I think family energy is the most important energy on this planet. I don't think it has anything to do with blood or your ethnicity. I think it has to do with loving. When Mr. Lee's son gave you our number he saw you needed family. He's part of the family. In the morning, about seven or so, three more of your family will be here. Connie and I will need to get home for a little while. No matter how long you're here at Cedars, we'll be here with you."

The OR nurse came back in and said, "Surgery went well. She's in recovery."

Lee stood and said, "We are spiritual advisors for the family. If we gown can we spend time by her bed? We will stay out of your way but we believe that being close to her will help her heal faster."

"Check with the nurse on the eighth floor. If she says Ok, you can be beside the bed, but only two at a time."

Connie called Megan and told her where to meet us. I was lost. Lee led us right to the elevators and to the nurse's station on eight. He walked to the nurse's station and said, "Good evening Carol."

The nurse turned around and immediately came out from the nurse's station and hugged Lee. She kissed him the kiss I would have expected a lover to give, but not in front of the man's wife! She let him go and hugged Connie the same way! Lee explained the situation and introduced us to Carol. He added, "She's part of the family too." Carol was black.

Megan, Connie and Lee were s white as me. I shook her hand and said, "Nice to meet you but something doesn't fit."

Carol said, "This family has nothing to do with genetics, ethnicity or background. Every member of the family is a member because we're committed to loving the world to health. Not back to health, because humanity's never had it. We're loving the world, one soul at a time. It's your turn."

"You want us to join a cult?" I asked.

Scorpio44a
Scorpio44a
2,160 Followers
12