The Mechanic

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hey, where's the little one, and what's with the fancy duds? I told you that I was going to just try to catch a little rest and some sleep tonight. I need to wind down and let my body recover before I get back at it all over again. The money's great and we're making a real dent in that down payment but it really takes it out of me."

Heather stood there, a beer in one hand and her face beginning to cloud up like it did when she got angry at me. I had no idea what I did but I figured I had no choice but to hear her out. She opened her mouth a couple of times before she got the words out.

"I sent Polly over to mom's for the night. She'll keep her until we pick her up tomorrow afternoon. Tonight, you and me are going to a party. The company is setting up in Tohm's Park for the fireworks and the beer and hot dogs and stuff are on the company. We need to hurry to get good seats. We have seats in the amphitheater reserved just for employees and their families. You and me. So, get dressed and hurry it up."

"Bullshit, Heather! I told you I wanted to stay home tonight! That party is just a bunch of your work buddies, including Drake and his crowd. You know I hate him and that whole bunch so why would you think I'd go tonight after I told you flat out I didn't want to go?"

"Because I want to! I spend every afternoon at home with Polly and then nights with both of you. I never get to go out anymore; you never want to go out now. All you want to do is work and stay away from us. We hardly ever see you and when we do, all you want to do is sleep. We haven't even made love in over two weeks. Tonight I want to go and I'm going whether you go or not. I'd rather be with you but if you won't go, I will!"

"Fine! We'll go but not to that damned party. Not with those people! I won't go that far. We can go out to dinner, drive down by the river and watch the fireworks from the bank down on Water Street. Like we used to when we were dating."

"No! I want to be with my friends tonight! Drake may or may not be there but it's not important. I just want to sit with my friends and have some fun. Now, let's go!"

"No! If you want to go, then go! But I won't go with you; not with them! Make your choice. It's spend the evening with me or without me. It's up to you."

"Then I'm going without you! Don't wait up for me. I may just go out with them afterwards and have a few drinks and do some dancing. Something you and me don't do much anymore. You can stay here and drink your beer and sleep on the damned couch if that's what you want to do."

With that, Heather went down the steps to the path around the house. I heard the van start up and then start down the street. I let my anger keep me there as the sound of the engine faded away, leaving me alone with my beer and my anger. I was damned if I was going to go after her and more than damned if she thought I would spend any time with that rat bastard Drake and his band of sycophants. Just because he was the owner's kid and had a big job there didn't mean squat to me. Just a smartass pain in the neck who wanted to get into my wife's pants regardless of her being married. I was sure he hadn't so far but he wouldn't stop trying, that much I was positive about.

I went inside, saw that it was past five o'clock so I set my beer aside and found something to eat to fill the void in my stomach. The food didn't do much about that and it dawned on me that the void was the absence of my wife and child. I hated being away from either of them for any longer than I had to be. This evening was not going to be the relaxing time I had hoped for. I found the couch, lay down and fell asleep. It was well past eight thirty when I woke from the sound of fireworks going off all around me. I was still alone.

I went in and took the shower that I had wanted earlier. As I dried myself off, I decided that I would go on down to Towner's Bar and Grill, where I knew they would be now that the fireworks were over. It was the place everyone went to have a few beers, do some real dancing and make out if they could find a willing partner. That thought made me just a little queasy when I thought of Heather and Drake, together even on the dance floor. I felt that I had best make an appearance. I dressed in casual slacks and headed down to the place.

It was almost ten when I pulled in and headed for the front door. I saw Janie Cummings and her husband just coming out and stopped to talk to both. I liked Jake and Janie and we had shared a lot of barbecues with them.

"Hey guys. How's it going? Been awhile. We should get together and do a cookout. Seen Heather?"

Janie looked at Jake and that look made me nervous. I didn't like it at all. Something wasn't right and I needed to know what that was.


"OK, what the hell is that look about? What's going on in there? Is there something I need to know?"

Janie nodded to Jake who then took the lead. "Look Jesse. I think you need to get in there right away. Drake is making a real big play for Heather and she's in some kind of snit tonight. She's not turning him away like she usually does. We both tried to talk to her but she's not listening. Just be careful: Drake's got his boys around him and they're keeping her friends away."

"Thanks Jake. I'll do just that." They followed me back in as I walked away from them and went inside, looking around as I strode onto the dance floor. As I looked toward the right where the booths were I spotted Drank sitting next to Heather. They were sitting very close and I could see Drake's arm where it disappeared below the table. I knew where that hand was. Heather had a strange look on her face, one I had seen before. She was already showing signs of having too much to drink!

I walked toward them, stopped at the table and yelled at Heather. "What the hell are you doing, sitting with this asshole? Get your butt up and let's go home!"

I don't know what I expected but what I got was a grin from Heather just as I was grabbed from behind by two men, one on each arm. As they pulled me back, Drake got up and before I knew what he planned, his fist landed on my chin. At the blow, stars exploded in my head and my knees buckled as I slumped toward the ground. The two arms holding me up prevented me from going down. I did stagger backward and I pulled both of them with me. Heather watched this happen but did or said nothing that I could see. I do remember a small smile on her face just before I lost sight of her.

As the stars faded, my anger came to the front and I struggled to get free. As Drake came toward me again, I stopped struggling and waited. As he came into range, I let the men holding me take my weight as I raised my legs and kicked out at Drake's face. I felt my shoes hitting flesh and felt a wild surge of glee. I had kicked the son of a bitch good. That was the last I remembered as another man took Drake's place and hit me again and again in the face until the stars faded along with all the lights and sounds. I lost consciousness.

When I woke, I was sitting in the seat of my car with the engine running. I was covered with blood and my face hurt everywhere. I also had a couple of bruised ribs and my stomach felt cramped from where fists had sunk in deep. I looked toward the bar and saw at least four guys standing there watching me. There was one guy standing by the car and when I noticed him, he said only, "Get the fuck out of here and don't come back. Your wife belongs to Drake tonight and you'll get her back tomorrow. Tonight she belongs to him, not you. You come back and you'll get more of the same. Next time, we'll drive you over to the lake and let the car go off the edge of the road. Think about it."

I did and while I wanted nothing more than to go back in and take Drake on, I knew I had no chance. These five guys were watching and waiting and I had little doubt they would do what he threatened. Drake had a lot of control over their lives: he controlled their livelihood. I tried to push my door open, but the guy pushed it back closed. He reached into the car and grabbed my shirt front. "Think before you make a mistake!" I hesitated another few minutes before driving away. I had no choice at that time. I drove home, went inside and showered again, washing away the blood and the dirt. Afterwards I looked at myself in the mirror and saw a bruised and battered face that was quickly growing black and blue. I had a beautiful shiner and a cheekbone that was twice its normal size and I hurt all over. My head was killing me, but I was still alive and walking.

As I walked into the living room, I sat down and took stock of my evening. I told Heather before tonight that I would not go to any of her company parties because of Drake and his henchmen. She had always accepted that before tonight. Also, I had told her of my desire to stay home this evening because of the horrible number of hours I had been working. She had agreed with that as well. But tonight, when I expected her to honor her agreement, she changed everything. She went out without me in anger and got together with Drake Cunningham, a man she knew I detested and who I didn't trust! And the worst thing was that when I went to bring her home, she ignored me and did nothing while Drake's men dragged me outside and beat me senseless.

As I thought about what happened, my anger began to grow. I was furious and I wanted to do some damage to Drake and even to Heather. I could hurt him physically but not her. I weighed my options. First, I could get my pistol and go back and kill that son of a bitch! That would give me serious pleasure but would also get me arrested and sent away for a long, long time. No, the gun was out!

Next, I could wait until later and then go over to his place and sneak in and smack him with a ball bat while he was in bed with my soon to be ex. But I had heard through the grapevine that he had a state of the art security system around his place and that would also get me arrested. Breaking and entering was out. Anyway, I didn't want to see what I was sure I would see.

Finally, I could do nothing and wait until Heather came home, then I could divorce her. Honestly, at that point, I considered that the best option. But it had drawbacks: first I would be a cuckold and everyone in town would know it. Second, since her family had money and I didn't, a divorce would mean I could lose most of everything we had and that included custody of Polly. That was too much to lose. Anyway, I couldn't stand to stay here knowing everyone would know what happened and how I was humiliated by him and my wife. No, divorce was out, at least right now.

I was still thinking what to do when I noticed the sun was starting to come up. She had spent the night with him! No word, no calls, nothing! Had she been anyplace but with him, she would have called me! There was no question now about what she had done and who she did it with. And the worst part of it was that this entire worthless town had allowed it to happen. Not one damned person had come to my aid! Not one person had tried to help! It was clear that Drake ran this place and I was nothing but dirt to everyone else, including my wife. Now that she had made the decision, my path was clear.

Without conscious thought, the decision as to what to do came to me. I was going to pack my bags and head out of this damned town. I wasn't going to divorce Heather because that would free her up to go with that son of a bitch Drake and allow him to take custody of my little girl. No way was that going to happen. She could have him if that's what she wanted! They would have to live as sinners, not able to marry, but they would have to live with that. But so long as she was married, Polly would remain my daughter. I might not be able to see her, but I wasn't going to desert her.

I would leave all the money we had saved for the down payment to Heather to take care of my daughter. Everything we had was in joint accounts so she could use any of it. Once I had relocated, I would be sure to send half of my salary each month to Heather to take care of my daughter. While that may seem like a strange thing to do to a lot of people, I knew it was the only way to insure that she couldn't say I had deserted them and left my child without support. If she wanted to file for divorce, fine! But she would never be able to say I was a deadbeat father! If she did file, I would fight for custody based on her character and her willingness to cheat on me in public. Either way, I would continue to do my duty until Polly was old enough to leave.

An hour later, I passed the sign for the city limits and I was on my way! I was hurting, my heart was broken and my mind was in turmoil but I was not going to stay and be humiliated by my wife in front of my daughter. No! Heather had made her choice last night and it wasn't me! Now I was making mine. I was leaving her and what she did behind me. She could explain to our two-year old why her daddy was no longer there. Let her try!

To be continued

12