The Medical Murder Mystery Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Scintillating!" I muttered. "Truly excellent. You might make a good Detective yet, Miss Ross."

"Stoppit." Cindy replied, trying to hide a smile. "Anyway, Thomas Cook... don't know if he had any business dealings with any of these people... maybe he was one of those that loaned to the Searles and Muncey practice?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact he was." I said. "By the way, Karpathian is a professor at the University and knows both Clifford and Searles. Not saying she's involved, but not eliminating her, either."

"True." Cindy said. "So... what did I miss?"

"Not much, within the extent of your current knowledge." I said. "But I'll tell you this just to keep you awake all night thinking about it: I think the receptionist Jill was really a key factor in this. I explained why at the party, but what I didn't elaborate upon was that I suspect she is a key player because she has a key backer... our Big Boy, a.k.a. Moriarty.

I continued: "I also think Lockhart was our Big Boy's minion. Big Boy told Lockhart to get out of town, then when he saw things unraveling he lured Lockhart back and then sent Clifford to wax Lockhart. Even as we speak, Clifford is expecting legal help, not realizing he was duped and used by our Big Boy to eliminate Lockhart, and now Clifford will be left hanging out to dry."

"As to Darla," I said, "I don't think she knew anything or was in a wider scheme; she just panicked when she thought her husband was going to find out about her affairs. She confessed because she's in such remorse, and she's even trying to keep the death penalty on the table."

"By the way," I said, suddenly remembering it, "don't be surprised if Dembo is arrested or deported. I suspect his European connections were valuable to someone, but will no longer be. I might have mentioned that to Jack Muscone and the DEA agents tonight. And Jill and Dembo might have been working together there."

"What about Wicker?" asked Cindy. "Not much said about him tonight. Connected?"

"Oh, of course, how could he not be?" I replied. "And our motorcyclist, who is a woman, was his killer. And is she in with the real Moriarty? Maybe, maybe not. I just..." I went off into a reverie.

"Just..." Cindy said after a minute, as we began making our way towards the Mountain Nest, where Jenna and Laura awaited us.

"I just am not feeling the vibe that our Big Boy and the Black Badge gang and Superior Bloodlines are one and the same." I said, trying to see the puzzle pieces.

"Well, maybe this prescription drug ring will give us a clue to one or the other." Cindy said. "Teresa has Julie Newton working with the Feds. Something will pop up."

"Yes." I said. "Something will pop up. It always does. As I've heard you say, mon ami, the party never stops in our Town & County..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Indeed, because of her cooperation, Darla Clifford got 25-to-life, but in a medium-security prison, and she was afforded opportunities to do 'community service'. She would be paroled in 20 years.

John Clifford finally took a plea deal that took death off the table, and he began serving a life sentence.

Dr. Richard Searles continued his brilliant career at University Hospital, but it was noted that he became a lot more involved in the teaching of younger doctors, and that he became a lot less arrogant.

Dr. Caroline Muncey and Dr. Guy Hartwell did indeed leave the private practice, which collapsed. They set up together in the town of Westphalia, which was one of the State's "Twin Cities" with Eastphalia, both south of the City. They are reported to be doing well, as is Dr. Yelena, who set up her own pediatric care center. Dr. Dembo was deported back to Europe after an attempted rape charge was filed against him. Hmmm, Europe... false rape charge... now where had I heard that situation before?!?!?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Are you sure about this?" Lieutenant Teresa Croyle asked.

"Yes ma'am." said Lainie Everett, who had been called back to Headquarters after the party. They were in Lainie's cubicle in the secure basement of Police Headquarters. Myron and Mary had also been called in from the celebration party and were looking at Lainie's findings as Lainie continued: "Whoever hacked into our computers from the University Campus Police connections had to have had help from the inside. They got stuff that was not the basic and accessible public information, including some of our shared data with the FBI and the IRS."

"Shit." said Teresa. "I'll call Commander Troy right now. We sure as hell are not going to let this bad news get worse with age." She reached for the telephone on the desk...

Finis. ... for now.