The Messenger in Black

Story Info
Why did it have to be on Valentine's Day?
2.4k words
3.74
22.1k
1
0
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PrincessErin
PrincessErin
1,429 Followers

Ally didn't expect the reaction she received when she returned home. It had been a huge mistake but somehow she had convinced herself that it wasn't that bad what she did. It wasn't something that hadn't been done before. It just seemed that living in a small town made everything worse when it came to the gossip mill.

Ally could barely get to work without at least three or four scowls and evil glares. The scowls were from those older then her who were old fashioned. They were ashamed of what she had done and would talk in the privacy of their own homes about how the younger generation was an embarrassment and specifically how it was expected considering the family life she grew up in. Those that gave her evil glares were his friends. She was the enemy and every person who had ever gone to school with Trevor, had played sports with him, and all his coworkers, became his best friends and thus were protective of him. Ally was just the dumb red head who had put everyone to shame.

February was turning into a cold and damp month and Ally of course had not thought to wear gloves and a hat this particular morning. Her boots were stylish but not at all practical. She hated living in Redwoods for so many reasons and the fact that it was cold and dark and miserable was only one of her reasons to hate this place.

"Watch it!"

Ally felt him grab her shoulder before hearing his words. She had been in a long drawn out daydream, or nightmare of sorts and didn't even realize she had almost walked right into oncoming traffic. His touch was forceful yet gentle, if that was even possible. She spun around and looked up at the man who had probably saved her life.

"You seriously almost got run over. I bet you're a poet or singer right?"

Ally looked confused. Her heart was racing and it wasn't until she took a breath that she realized she had indeed been holding her breath. She tried to put together a coherent sentence but all she got out was half words.

The tall man smiled and pulled his hand from her shoulder. He was taller then Ally but considering she was only five feet tall that wasn't much of a feat. He was dressed in a black leather jacket and black jeans with black gloves. Had the wind not been blowing in an eastward direction she would have smelled his musky cologne. As it was she was just standing there, still, trying to piece together a sentence.

"I'm not a poet or singer. I'm just distracted. Thanks."

And with that she spun around and walked down the street, parallel to the stream of cars that almost killed her.

"Hey!"

She knew he was calling out to her but she was ignoring him. She had to. She knew that other then her best friend Nancy no one in town liked her. She didn't know him and so had quickly made two assumptions -- either he was new and the moment he found out what she had done he would hate her too, or he was playing a cruel joke on her. No one was nice to Ally Fitzgerald.

"Jesus woman." Aeron grabbed her by the shoulder and spun her around. Before she had a chance to respond he blurted out his thoughts.

"I'm sorry if I scared you. I was just trying to make small talk. I was trying to flirt with you ever since you walked past the window of the diner. I was eating my breakfast minding my own business and you distracted me."

The glare she gave him would have scared off any man but Aeron just stood his ground. She was a curiosity and he wanted to know more.

"I'm sorry. I'm just trying to get to work without getting killed. If I'm late I'll probably be fired. I'm not having a very good day and it's only eight in the morning. Thank you for saving me."

"I'm Aeron, Aeron Sullivan. I'm in town for a conference. Well actually the conference is in Beaverbrook but my lovely company forgot to book me a hotel room so this was the closest."

"Oh."

"Anyways I'll let you get to work."

"O.k. Bye."

And with that Ally bite her lip and smiled before walking down the street. She wasn't going to admit to him that she was going the wrong way. She'd just cross the street, carefully this time, at the next block and continue on her way. She'd be late and get another discipline report. It wasn't anything new.

Aeron watched her walk down the street. He had his work cut out for him. There was no doubt about it. He walked back into the café and finished his breakfast. The toast was soggy and the eggs cold but he had only one thing on his mind, Ally.

He finished his breakfast and then made his way to her workplace. The building was rundown and definitely not on the right side of town. He enjoyed the hot blast of dry heated air as he stepped into the foyer. There was a simple wooden desk with a very young looking secretary. As a skilled journalist, he filed all this into simple and easy categories in his brain.

"Ally Fitzgerald works here right?"

"Unfortunately yes."

Aeron looked around, surprised that she had said that. He really had no idea the extent of her predicament.

Aeron just stared at her, his cool black eyes piercing into her soul. It took less then 30 seconds before she picked up the phone. A few minutes later the redhead entered the foyer.

"Before you say anything let me explain. I'm from a newspaper in Woodcliff Estates. I was asked to do an article about romance. I want to interview you."

"Romance! Are you kidding? You're like all the other tabloids that hounded me. It's been four months!"

"I'm serious. You can even call my editor. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this when I ran into you. Actually I was so nervous. Anyways I'm not like those slime ball reporters and I'm definitely not like the people in this town. I actually want to write about your side of the story."

Ally opened her mouth then shut it fast. She hadn't expected that and now she was at a lost for words.

"What do I get out of it?"

"Dinner at Enchantment. I know the chef and although the table is in the back near the kitchen he said that he'd make sure the food was delicious."

"I'm not going to say yes."

"Yes you are."

"What makes you think you can barge into my workplace and demand I go out to dinner with you. What makes you think that I even believe you? When I saw you this morning you said you were at a conference. You've already lied to me once."

"Fine. I'm probably the only person who will ever listen to you and believe your story but whatever."

Aeron spun around and left the office. As each step took him further and further away from her, he realized how stupid and arrogant he had become. He had this whole speech set out and the moment he had opened his mouth he had forgotten everything. Of course she wasn't going to go out to dinner with him. He had demanded a date. He hadn't told her what newspaper he worked for. He didn't even explain why he had said he was at a conference. Aeron Sullivan rarely let anyone get the best of him but today that fiery redhead had indeed put him in his place.

The next evening Aeron entered Enchantment. It was an upscale restaurant just outside New York City. It was the type of restaurant that was fancy enough for middle income couples to go to for a special occasion and for those rich widows to eat at on a regular basis. Aeron's cousin Anthony was the chef and had told him over and over again that if he ever needed to bring a special girl then he would make it happen.

Aeron was seated and then a few minutes later Anthony came over to the table.

"Where is she?"

"She's not coming. I fucked up. Just give me whatever is good and let me nurse this bottle of wine."

"Fine man."

Anthony knew not to press Aeron for more information. Questioning his line of work was out of bounds. After the fourth glass of wine Aeron was tipsy and enjoying the beautifully prepared Caesar salad. The carrot and ginger soup had of course been delicious and had he not been drunk he would have made sure to leave room for the beautiful rib eye steak, cooked to perfection.

Aeron looked up to find the waiter, needing another bottle of wine. Instead he was face to face with Ally. He didn't even have time to speak before she sat down.

"I'm sorry. I've had a rough few months. You can ask me anything. Whatever you write can't be any worse then anything else that has been written or said about me. Just ask away."

Aeron blinked, hating himself for being so drunk. She had given in and now she was actually willing.

"Um. O.k. Let me just see if I can find my tape recorder."

Aeron fumbled in his bag and thankfully found his tape recorder. He placed it face down and pressed play.

"I just want to hear your side of the story. Without the cameras and rude reporters. I just want to know your side of things because every single news report about you has some random person making assumptions."

Ally took a deep breath. After he had left her office she had gone back in and began to research his name. Everything he had said was true and the fact that his picture was online helped to prove that he was indeed who he said he was. She waited for her boss to tell her to stop surfing the Internet and get back to work. She had become invisible again but somehow the thought that everyone only knew his side of the story was going to eat at her for the rest of her life. It was in that realization that she got up from her desk and quickly left. She didn't say a thing to anyone and for once she left people speechless. It was the next night that she drove herself to the restaurant, hoping that he wouldn't give up the reservation.

"I thought Trevor was the one. I mean we had dated in high school and had stayed together all through college. I was happy in the city but he got a job as a teacher and I was expected to come along. It's been four years since we moved in together and no mention of a ring. When I saw the preview for the show I thought it would be perfect. He'd get the hint and propose. That was all I ever wanted. I didn't think there was another motive for the show. I didn't even realize that the real purpose was to show how easily couples could break up."

Aeron's dinner had arrived and he casually offered her the extra fork left on the table. They shared the delicious dinner while she spilled her heart out to the tall dark stranger.

"We got back to Redwoods and didn't talk about it. We couldn't talk about what happened to anyone until the show aired and in private we didn't want to say anything. We had both cheated on each other. It wasn't just me. I was drunk and stupid and wasn't thinking straight. Those fucking producers knew exactly what would happen."

"Why didn't they show him cheating?"

"It was a better storyline. I mean he was the college football player who now teaches high school. Of course it's expected he's going to cheat. But me, of course not. I mean I'm the girl who only dated one guy her whole life. It makes sense that I'm made out to be the evil one."

"I figured as much. I arrived in town three days ago and every person I met I asked about you. Why stay in a town when you're so hated?"

Ally rolled her eyes. It was a question that she had asked her self every day for months. She was living in a house that her ex boyfriend owned. He was living with his parents, sobbing over how she had embarrassed and hurt him. She hated her job and her family had clearly made up their mind with the first phone call she received after the show aired.

"I don't know."

"I have a confession."

"What?"

"You probably don't recognize me but we went to high school together. I told you once that you were going to miss your soul mate. You took it literally and ran down the hall before Trevor got on the bus. I meant it figuratively actually. I meant that I was your soul mate."

Ally blinked and suddenly everything came together. There was a reason she was suspicious of him. She had heard that name before but couldn't quite place it. She would have had to think hard and long to put two and two together. She had been oblivious of everything and everyone all through high school. The only person important to her was Trevor and she had let fame and fortune tear him away from her.

Suddenly the room felt dark and cold. A glance at the tape recorder showed the red light wasn't on. She looked at him and he looked back. She shivered.

"I remember that conversation."

"I do too."

Ally began to sob uncontrollably. Her body had remained stiff and without feeling for so long and suddenly the floodgates were open. She covered her hands with her face.

"I just wanted to make sure you were the same girl I had met in high school."

"I am. Oh god I made so many mistakes. I left home even though my Dad was sick. I knew my mom couldn't take care of him on her own."

Aeron watched as Ally mentally took inventory of her life. He sensed she was near the end when her eyes went wide. He didn't want to tell her. He hated this part.

"You didn't catch me in time. I slipped under the_." Ally couldn't even finish the sentence.

"No I didn't Ally. But somehow I knew you had unfinished business."

Ally opened her mouth to scream but no sound came out. Aeron, sitting alone at the table at the back of the restaurant watched as the pink candle flickered and then went out. It was a pink candle, surrounded by red and white hearts. It was Valentine's Day after all.

PrincessErin
PrincessErin
1,429 Followers