The Moors Gabriel

Story Info
She coveted the tiny gift of life she held.
4.7k words
4.29
7.5k
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sandra coveted the tiny gift she held before reluctantly handing the precious thing back to her sister. The gift of life had to be the most wonderful thing on earth and she vowed to herself that she would love and cherish her newborn niece for all her days. She had never realised before that moment just how strong her maternal instincts must be, "One day I will have house full of babies," she informed her older sister Fran.

Fran laughed at her impetuous sibling, "You never do things by half measures do you?" The look of a frown appeared upon her face as she impressed upon Sandra the need for her to be leaving, "the snow has started to fall earlier than forecast and the high moors will become treacherous. I wish you would take my offer and stay the night."

"Thanks sis, but you know I have a lot to do this evening to prepare for the party tomorrow night, you're only eighteen once," she informed her. They hugged and kissed as Sandra stepped out into the dark cold night and headed for her car, "I'll see you tomorrow and thanks for my birthday presents," she pointed at the wrapped parcel she was holding and then at her niece and smiled.

She set off in high spirits with so much to look forward to over the coming days. Her eighteenth birthday party would re-unite her with many of her school friends that she had not seen since summer and the relationship with her latest boyfriend Alan was blossoming. This combined with Christmas only two weeks away made her smile contentedly as she climbed the steep pass that would take her over the tops and into her home valley of Hazelbottom.

All such pleasant thoughts soon disappeared however as the weather worsened and she was forced to concentrate on her driving. Being local lass she knew the road well and had shared many a happy picnic here with her family in the summers of her youth. But this was no leisure drive as the snow obliterated all the familiar landmarks and the dark winter evening veiled the landscape. Her mood abruptly changed when she felt the engine lurch before she had reached the top of the pass and she was forced to pull up at the side of the road as the engine spluttered and finally died.

She cursed her misfortune and reached for her mobile phone, "I'll call dad, he will come and help me out," she murmered to herself before exclaiming "Shit!" as she realised that she had run out of credit. She simply sat and after an hour or so she began to cry as the situation began to dawn on her. There had been no other cars passing by and the road had now disappeared beneath a blanket of white. It was then that she saw the approach of headlights in her rear view mirror.

………………………………………………

The afternoon drew darker as the clouds rolled in thick from the northwest. John Dawson could see the weather turning as soon as the sun had set on a sunny December day and he knew that snow was on its way. Within half an hour the snow began to fall thick and fast as he drove through the north Yorkshire moors, still a few miles away from his destination of Eppingstone Valley. He was used to bad winter weather in all the years he had been a travelling sales representative. Only this was his final day before he was due to retire. John was happy and yet sad at the same time recalling the good times and the bad in a job he loved so much.

"Bloody weather." He murmured to himself as the severity of the weather drew his attention. He checked his watch, feeling a chill run down his spine. He was a little later than he had expected, but then the snow was beginning to slow him down. The road was becoming dangerous, especially on the bends as his car wound down towards the village and the motel he was booked into for the night.

"Sorry sir, there seems to have been an error." The receptionist calmly told him. John stood in the motel with snow melting on his shoulders with his holdall and briefcase beside him. "You're not booked in here it seems. They moved you to the new motel. Did you not get our call to your mobile?"

"What call. Did I bloody hell as like get your call."

"Oh I'm so sorry. The motel you want is in Hazelbottom, just a few miles up the road." The receptionist, seemingly unconcerned, pointed in the direction. "Please accept our apologies sir."

"No, no wait. Are you saying I have to drive further? In this weather? Have you seen it out there lass? You wouldn't put our dog out in that lot, never mind yours." He looked at her, but it was not going to change things. "I'd better go then I suppose." He picked up his things and headed for the door. "Thankyou for your hospitality, I must say."

John was becoming stout in his later years. His once daily routine of exercises had long ended with his failed marriage. He was used to driving around England in pursuit of that clincher, the sale that would make him the top dog in the office. However, that never could happen to him because he was not aggressive enough, always allowing his better and kindly nature to shine through.

Once again he headed out on the worsening road towards the next village and motel. The journey now getting even more difficult in the heavy snowstorm as the windscreen wipers struggled against the snow, impairing vision of the road ahead. It was not far when John could see another car parked along side the road. Somehow his instincts told him there was a problem and he parked up behind the vehicle. He braved the elements and went to investigate, knocking on the window. He could see that the driver was a young lady, sat clutching the steering column. She stared back at him with a look of fear and in trepidation.

"Are you ok?" John asked. The girl wound down the window. "Are you stuck lass? Anyway I can help?"

"I don't know." She replied. "I've been here ages now and my mobile doesn't work. I'm just waiting for the snow to ease off a bit."

"Well, it's a bit nasty out here and I can't see it getting any better. Where were you going?" John asked. She did not think it was any business of his where she was going, but then she needed help in some way to getting out of her fix.

"About three miles further on. Where I live."

"Would that be Hazelbottom by any chance? Because it's where I'm going. You can have a lift if you like? Up to you lass, I'm not bothered, but it's better than being left out here. Atleast you can get home."

Sandra thought about it for a short while. She was scared of being left alone and she was scared of taking a lift with a stranger. But common sense told her that she would probably never get home if she stayed in her car, and so she hesitantly agreed, grabbed her few possessions and accepted the lift.

"Just take me straight home please," she begged, "my parents will be worried." She sat beside John and clipped the seatbelt secure. He looked at her as he put the car into gear and headed into the thickening snow covered road. She was young and not much older than his own daughter Janice. His first impression was her attitude; brash and very bold and something he could identify with all too easily. But the weather conditions soon put his thoughts on something more important. The road had now completely disappeared beneath a thick blanket of snow and the car began to skid through it more than it gripped.

"Bit of a mess this lot don't you think. It was beautiful today. Sunshine, a bit cold, but really nice. Now look at it. Never seen nowt like it before. Except of course in Norway." Sandra listened to him talk and not really that interested as he continued. "Now there is a place. Weather like this is common place out there, especially in the winter."

The car chugged on slowly. John was forced to follow the stonewall in order to keep on the road and soon a series of bends made steering somewhat difficult as the car slid out of control on a number of occasions. But John's experience after many years of driving gave him the confidence to continue. Sandra, bored by the tales of his army posting when he was younger noticed how well he could handle the extreme road conditions and she was atleast thankful of that.

"So lass, you've lived here all your life then I take it?"

"Yes." Sandra replied, and then fell into a silence. John realised that she was either shy or cautious, but most likely a combination of both. He looked at her, huddled and arms folded, shielding from the cold and fear of what was happening around them. He too was a little scared and he thought it best to hide it. The weather was not getting any better and he knew that soon driving could get impossible even though the journey was short to the next village. Soon the road would snake into Hazelbottom valley down a pretty steep hill that was well known for road accidents in summer as well as winter. He anticipated his driving skills to be tested and there was the prospect of finding the road completely blocked.

"I say, I bet you didn't expect it to be this bad?" he asked. "Don't worry, soon be there. This is all sent to try us and try us they will." John continued to tell her about his job briefly and hoped his passenger would respond with some returning communication.

"Look, mister whoever you are. I don't even know your name…" Sandra began, breaking off his conversation piece. John stopped and introduced himself giving his full name. Sandra replied likewise.

"Well atleast we know who we are..." John pushed his foot down on the break pedal quickly. The car slid sideways and just avoided the stonewall. "That was close. I never realised I was driving that close. Sorry about that lass" He reversed slightly and carried on steadily, keeping the speed as low as it was possible without getting bogged down. Sandra did not notice the collision they almost had at first, but again she thanked god that he had noticed. The drop beyond the wall was a long way down at that point and she began to realise just how dangerous this small trip home was becoming.

Progress was painfully slow as they crawled along not daring to put the car into a skid. The bends in the road that followed the terrain were by far the most difficult to negotiate and Sandra kept John informed of what lay ahead like a navigator in a car rally.

"This is the last dip in the road," she told him, "then one more upward incline and we start the proper descent into the valley." This raised both their spirits as they both saw an end to their ordeal. "I insist that you come in for a coffee when I get home, I'm sure my parents would love to thank you for what you have done."

"I'd like that very much," he replied sincerely, "let's wait and see what the weather is like in the valley first shall we, it may be prudent for me to head for my hotel."

Sandra saw the logic in what he said and simply responded "OK" as they started that final incline. It was a heart-stopping moment as the wheels began to spin as they tried to grip the snow-covered road and very slowly edge forward. Their worst fears turned to reality when the car lost its grip and began to veer towards the ditch on Sandra's side. Suddenly there was a judder as the car tilted slightly and the nearside wheels suddenly crept off the edge of the road and became lodged in the soft verge.

"Oh shit!" exclaimed John, "I'm so sorry, I was trying so hard not to let that happen."

"Don't blame yourself, I don't think I could have got this far on my own." She was reassuring with her words because having seen the conditions she doubted that she had enough driving experience. She held her breath as he eased on the juice and tried to edge the car out of the ditch, but all they heard was the revving engine and the spin of the front wheels as they tried in vain to grip the surface beneath the snow.

"This isn't going to work," John proclaimed, "here, take the steering wheel while I push." And within a blink of an eye he had opened the car door and was gone. Sandra was grateful of the car door being closed again, that sudden blast of chill and the flurry of snow that entered was a true reminder of just how serious it was outside the cocoon of the vehicle. She crawled into the drivers seat and heard the tap of John's hand as a signal to hit the gas. The car lurched forward but it could not get a proper grip in the snow. It rolled back. Again and again they tried but each time to no avail. Sandra moved back over to the passenger seat as John returned exhausted from his failed attempts, unable to muster the strength to try again.

John reached into his jacket pocket, and with hands trembling from the exertion. "We had better call the emergency services, let them know the situation. Then we must both contact those who are expecting to hear from us."

Sandra did not like the way events were preceding. "You first…" she said.

John looked at his mobile phone and noticed the reasons why it had been silent for most of the day. The battery was exhausted and he realised that he had forgotten to put it on charge the night before. He hit his forehead with his hand and Sandra looked at him. "What's wrong?" she asked. John just cursed himself under his breath. She grabbed the phone from his hand and looked at it in horror.

"It's dead." Quickly, she searched for her own phone in her purse and tried desperately to work out some way of swapping batteries and sim cards. John explained it was useless because the two phones were incompatible models. Sandra began to fill with a sudden panic inside, but she held her self together, taking deep breaths.

"I'm such a bloody idiot. Of all the times to forget to put it on charge…"

"It happens. Ok?" Sandra replied. He could see that she was distressed. His own spirit had been knocked sideways, feeling stupid and desperate himself. "They will know we are here. We are missing. Someone will come looking for us, I'm sure."

"Reckon you're right lass, I reckon you're right." John looked at her and tried to give her a reassuring smile. He realised that she was feeling just as helpless as he was and if not more scared than he was. He had to stay strong for both their sakes. Atleast they had the heater to keep them warm, "Things might seem desperate, but I'm sure they are not as bad as they look. Besides, we are only a few miles if not less from civilisation, a nice refreshing shower and a warm bed. You know, if this was summer we could walk it in no time."

They both looked out through the windows and saw the snow falling thicker around them. Rapidly they were being covered by the frozen white blanket, which was gathering. Sandra shivered and John reached into the rear and dragged a blanket over. He offered it to her and she took it, wrapping it loose around her shoulders. He noticed more now how inappropriately she was dressed for winter. Her youthful physique clearly noticeable with the low cut dress that made him think about who she was and without being sexual, he could see his own daughter sat beside him, desperate, scared and helpless. Suddenly, he felt greatly protective of her.

"That will keep you warm. It'll keep out the chill." He said, sitting back thinking. He turned on the radio and tuned it in to a local station. The music was soft and mellow, uncannily relaxing under the circumstances. But then that made him realise his own immediate problem. The half a glass of lager and the half dozen cups of tea he consumed after lunch was now in need of getting rid of. He tried to think of other things to take his mind off it for a little while longer, but his mind busied itself wondering how and where.

"I need a pee." Sandra said, as if speaking out his exact thoughts. And without thinking she tried to open the passenger side door to get out. The snow jammed it and she pushed hard against it, allowing the gap to open just enough to let the drifting snow in. John reached over and tried to pull it shut again, but it was too difficult.

"No. You can't not on that side," he tried to explain, "you're letting it in." They both realised that the snow was now gathering that much, its weight was beginning to block them in, especially on the passenger side. There was now a gap, letting in the cold chill from the wind. No matter how much he tugged at the door, the gap would not close.

"I've made matters worse," Sandra said remorsefully, "I am so sorry."

"I have far too much apologise for," he replied, "lets not blame each other for any of this, but we do need to sort out this pee problem. I have an idea, let me borrow the blanket." Sandra passed it to him as he darted out of the drivers door and back into the maelstrom and returned moments later through the backdoor and sat in the rear passenger seat. "Your turn now." Handing her the blanket

This was the first time that Sandra had been out of the car since she had accepted the lift. Now on the top of the moors she felt the biting wind. This was not the type of snow that one dreams about for a white Christmas, this was falling heavily and the wind was pushing it and making it drift. After she had finished her call of nature she instinctively opened the rear door and sat beside John. The cold had bitten through to her bone and she was shivering.

"I'm glad you're back safe and sound," he comforted her, "I've been thinking, and we should be ok despite the open front passenger door. We keep the engine running and the heater on, that will keep us warm… and we have the blanket."

Sandra was soothed by his words and her spirits were raised, but an element of doubt crept into her mind as she felt the blanket become sodden as the accumulated snow upon it began to melt.

"Tell me more about your job," she pleaded, realising that keeping up each other's spirits was perhaps now tantamount to survival.

"Glad that someone takes an interest." John smiled. "My wife just accepts it as a job I do and it keeps the bank balance topped up. Not that I'm complaining, don't get me wrong. My missus is a fine lass and I'm very proud of her."

"Do you love her?" Sandra asked, unsure as if it was a good question or not. John thought and nodded his reply quickly without any doubts.

"My job is one of those jobs that someone has to do. We promote and sell the products. Those things in boxes you see back there. It might not be important to you or I, but it is to someone and very valuable." Sandra began to listen, but what he had just explained was like a riddle more than anything else. It did not matter what was in those boxes, atleast not for that moment. It was he, the man, she was more interested in.

John Dawson left the army as he had joined, a regular. Those four years he had served were the best years of his life regarding adventure. He had seen parts of the world that he had only dreamt and heard about as a child, and when it ended he was bored. Within three months and still unemployed, he married his girlfriend of just two months. He had to as a matter of honour and seven months later he became a proud father.

The dead-end job he had taken on left him no choices for opportunity and so he squeezed his way into sales without any experience whatsoever. He played everything by ear and realised that he had found himself a niche in life he could use. His gift had always been convincing others that he and what he believed in was right. Selling things was just another variant of that gift which soon began to work for him. His employers were, to say the least, quite proud of him and his achievements. The years that followed saw promotion and his Company bestowed upon him the highest honours and pay-rises he deserved. His family continued to thrive and grow. Until one day that was, when things began to change. A new kind of management was introduced and a new aggressive style of selling. John soon found himself a member of 'the old school' and his career seemed to dip suddenly into stagnant waters.

"So you see, although I like what I do. I'm almost pleased it's coming to an end really." John stopped talking and looked at Sandra. He noticed she was shivering from the wet blanket kept cold by the chill blowing in through the gap. He asked if she was all right, but all Sandra could do was nod bravely through her discomfort.

12