The Mountain Girl Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Shaima32
Shaima32
1,209 Followers

"The problem with us women is we undersell ourselves. A man walks into an interview he goes the opposite way and oversells himself. Ask any woman to list her qualities and she'll list them but then add a negative trait at the end just so the guys don't think she's a stuck up bitch. A man never does that, he's the best they've got and you'd be a fool not to hire him. Look them in the eye and forget all the negative shit swirling around your brain, you're the best they can do. If they want a hundred percent, tell them you'll go a hundred and fifty. Your age is an asset because you've got valuable managerial experience, which is a transferable skill."

Due to the fact that Zoe worked there, she whisked her through reception and escorted her to the right department in a matter of minutes, handing her over to Ameerah, a quietly-spoken younger woman.

"Ameerah is one of our stellar human resources people," Zoe smiled, "text me when you're finished and we'll grab a bite to eat," she flicked at her hair.

"Good luck," she moved away.

"How do you know Zoe?" Ameerah asked her a few minutes later.

"We're housemates," she replied, "and friends."

"Of course," Ameerah smiled, "we're certainly welcoming to applicants from all kinds of cultures and orientations."

Heidi was so intent on the upcoming test and interview that it wasn't until she was sitting in a waiting room that she realised what Ameerah had been implying. She thought I was gay? A slight smile nudged her lips as she let that concept play out for the next fifteen minutes or so until it was time to do her thing.

The assigned task was quite simple, although she hadn't realised there was a choice of three tasks, and at first she thought of doing all three until she noticed that the word 'only' was in bold and had been underlined. Throwing caution to the winds, she chose the hardest of the three, constructing a template with image boxes and text boxes. It was something she'd done many times in the past in her spare time, just for practice and that was something she raised during the interview in front of three people, two of whom were men and the third was an older woman who looked as if she belonged in a retirement village.

She answered every question and asked a few of her own, falling back on Zoe's advice on the way here, her age was not a barrier. She brought maturity and stability to the role and she could work within set parameters. Her interviewers looked impressed but perhaps they put on that persona for every applicant. Nevertheless, it was soon over and she was free to leave. Ameerah directed her to an office with floor to ceiling partition windows and a glass door. Zoe was sitting at a desk with her eyes locked on a computer screen and when she noticed Heidi, she waved.

"Hey, you," she leaned back and studied her, "you survived the firing squad."

"It felt like a firing squad," she sat down opposite her, "so many questions, so little time."

"It's often the way," she smiled, "but in my experience you usually do far better than you thought, it's natural to downplay yourself. I do it all the time and constantly have to correct myself," she picked up a fidget spinner.

"I wouldn't have thought that about you," she flicked at her hair.

"Not so much in my professional life although when I was younger that was the case, but in my social and personal life I do have to stop downplaying myself and accept that the way I see myself is not necessarily how others see me."

Zoe frowned as she looked at the door.

"I guess what I'm trying to say without saying it, is that while I can come across as confident and assertive that doesn't mean I don't need affirmation, love and a little leeway. I got involved with Maggie thinking I could handle this woman who erupted for no apparent reason. I thought that in time she might settle down but I spent three and a half years putting out fires. Nothing I ever did was good enough and when it was it still didn't change things. When you put up with that kind of thing for so long it begins to open up old wounds and make new ones. I came out of that disaster with a crippling low self esteem when it comes to personal relationships and the determination to preserve my independence for as long as possible."

Heidi blinked as Zoe finished.

"I had no idea," she replied, "it never seemed that way to me. I've always looked on you as being mature and settled, the kind of woman who will put out when I need it but not smother me either. My mother tends to be a little overbearing, it's the way she is without realising it, she wants to just organise me because I'm her daughter. What she doesn't always get is that sometimes I just want to make my own mistakes and do my own thing. I feel better for having known you, you've been the best thing to happen to me in a long time and I know in time you'll get your own place," she fiddled with her cuff.

"But I want to be included in your circle of friends at the very least but I'm open to more, if you want to go further."

Zoe's eyes shifted to her handbag dangling from a coat stand. A moment later she leaned forward and rose.

"I'm hungry," she smiled and stepped across to the stand.

"Can you do me a favour and get me some lunch?"

She took out her car keys and a purse.

"Something from the hot bread shop," she took out some money, "and get yourself some lunch too," she handed the money and keys over.

It felt weird sitting behind the wheel of Zoe's Commodore. It had the sports options and drove like a dream, even though she was really just going down the road to a bakery. She drew admiring looks from men although they might have been just looking at the car. She bought sausage rolls, and some Coke, but on an afterthought also bought custard slices and a lemon meringue pie.

"The pie is for later," she told Zoe, "dessert."

"I like dessert," Zoe smirked, "so how did you like driving it?"

"I got a lot of looks from guys."

"Get their phone numbers?"

"Um no, not that I put out any signals."

"Not into guys any more or are you still skirting around the edges?"

"It depends on one woman."

"What's her name?"

"Heidi," she replied, "it depends on me. I've been hanging around with three lesbian couples and they all say the same thing. I'm the one person standing in the way. I just found out from Jodie the other week that Melanie was thinking of putting up money for an escort girl for me."

"Now there's a pleasant thought," she took a bite of her sausage roll.

"So, what's the way forward?" Zoe asked a few seconds later.

"Seduction," she replied a few moments later, "I want to seduce this woman."

"So how will you go about seducing this woman?"

"I might start with a glass of wine and some lemon meringue pie, then I'll get up close and personal and let her know that it's okay to touch me. I imagine there will be kissing, lots of kissing and," she smiled as she studied her.

"I might unbutton her blouse and kiss her breasts," she paused as Zoe winced, "I'm going to get her naked and then go down on her and have some more dessert."

Zoe reached for her Coke as she leaned back in her chair.

"That sounds, very seductive but what happens with the living arrangements?"

"I haven't gone that far yet," she frowned, "but I imagine we'll have to work it out as we go. There might be times we don't agree on everything but that just means we have to work harder to make things work between us. I'm not one of those women who believes that there's only one person for me, I mean what if my special soul mate lives in Albania, or Pakistan or North Korea? We could go our whole lives never meeting each other. I think your special soul mate is the one you choose for yourself and if they choose you then it's called bliss. You and I might not be compatible right away but we can become compatible if we're both willing to give way and compromise."

Zoe's eyes moved ever so slightly to her screen and a moment later she clicked the mouse and tapped a few keys on her keyboard.

"If you talked like that during your interview I'd say you've got the job," she hit the enter key and leaned forward to contemplate the desk.

"I hate to cut this short but I have another meeting and then I've got to do a few other things, but if you want to wait in the library we can continue this conversation tonight," her eyes shifted to Heidi, "do we have a deal?"

"Deal," she straightened up, "I'll leave you to it."

On her way to the library she encountered Ameerah standing behind another applicant who looked as if he'd flunked the basic test.

"I'm sorry," she was saying, "that's all the time we allot to the task, if you feel that we need to give you more time then you can mention that in the interview."

She looked at Ameerah and rolled her eyes behind the man's back and was rewarded with a wry smile before the moment passed and she was gone. The library was well appointed and Heidi spent the rest of the afternoon browsing the shelves and settling down in front of a computer to browse the international newspapers. Brexit was going nowhere fast, the Tories had just done so badly in the general election it was doubtful they could govern without aligning themselves with the DUP and Trump was still throwing temper tantrums. She was so engrossed in news that she didn't see Zoe until the older woman put a hand on her shoulder.

"You got a thing for bad news?"

"No but most of it looks bad," she leaned back into her.

"You want some good news?"

"Please," she closed the browser.

"Not here, in the car," she stepped back.

Heidi fell into step beside her as they made their way to the car, Zoe seemed almost carefree as she swung her handbag back and forth. She eyed the lemon meringue pie with mild amusement and then put the key into the ignition.

"It's not official and don't go handing in your notice for fuck's sake, but it looks as if you've got the job, I got a call from one of the guys who interviewed you, Sam Reynolds. He wanted to know if there was anything I wanted to add," she looked over at her.

"I did give you a verbal reference after your first interview but this time I pulled out all the fucking stops and said if you don't hire her you're nuts, she's got everything you're looking for and he said," she paused, "yeah I agree, but I've still got to talk to the others."

"Oh," Heidi's head hit the headrest, "so it's official?"

"Pretty much, he'll talk to the others but ultimately he's the department manager, they still might throw up another applicant but if he agrees with me then it's a good sign."

"Thank you."

"What for? You sold yourself at the interview, he was impressed with your attitude," she turned the key and started the engine, "so let's go home and investigate this meringue pie."

Heidi let her hand rest on Zoe's leg as the older woman drove out of the carpark and was rewarded with a smile as Zoe turned into Norton Street.

This was going to be a night to remember.

Shaima32
Shaima32
1,209 Followers
12