The New Wolf Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"There was a flood of volunteers who agreed to watch your room tonight, in case you wake up and need anything."

"How thoughtful." Clara let the annoyance drip from her voice, but James smiled and kept walking, either unaware or choosing to ignore her obvious distaste for this development.

They stopped in front of her room and James pulled her in for a tight hug. He swayed back and forth with her in his arms. Clara tried to fight it, but she couldn't shake the safe feeling he gave her. She let herself go and relaxed in his embrace.

"You did wonderful today," James said. "Tomorrow we will spend some time on your fighting assessment and then I'll show you where you'll be working."

If they did put that much emphasis on combat, they were in for a surprise at how terrible Clara's skills were. James let her go and she let out a yawn, realizing now that she wasn't faking exhaustion. As soon as the door closed to her badly decorated room Clara fell straight into bed, asleep by the time her head hit the pillow.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lucas put the van in park and stepped out. Several pack members were standing around the vehicle. He tossed the keys to one.

"Don't stand there. Get to work." He continued walking towards the lodge, not bothering to turn around and check to ensure they were following his orders.

The building came into view and he felt a sense of home. He jogged up the giant front porch, not surprised to see a few pack members hanging out on some of the outdoor furniture. It was a perfect night for sitting outside. Maybe he would see if Trevor or Dan wanted to drink a few beers out here later. Of course that would mean the lower ranks would scatter. He chuckled under his breath. It was pathetic how afraid of him they were.

He entered the lodge and went straight for the stairs. Something smelled delicious. He would have to check the kitchen for leftovers later. First he wanted to finish up his business. He took the steps two at a time until he reached the top of the staircase. He knocked twice before pushing open the door to James' floor.

The Alpha was leaned back in his desk chair, his arms above his head. Lucas couldn't make out who it was, but someone was on their knees, bobbing their head back and forth against James' crotch. Lucas walked up to the desk and crossed his arms over his chest.

"You couldn't have locked the door?"

James didn't acknowledge Lucas, instead he moved his arms fast, placing a hand on the back of the head of whoever was servicing him.

"Don't stop. You're doing really well. I'm almost finished."

Lucas shook his head and turned around. He was used to nudity and public sex acts that wolves seemed to enjoy, a month ago he would have started to strip and joined in, but he thought about the promise he made. He went to the door and stepped into James' bedroom. He walked right through into the bathroom. He flicked on the light and looked at himself in the mirror. His dark hair was kept short to his head, emphasizing his widow's peak. He splashed some water on his face, the liquid seemed to accentuate his hazel eyes that Roxy loved so much.

A loud satisfied moan followed by a grunt carried through the walls. Lucas grabbed a towel and dried his face before heading back out to his Alpha's office. He wasn't surprised to see James walking Suzy, one of his favorites, to the door. Lucas had no doubt the girl wanted to get out of here as fast as possible. She never was a fan of his.

"Welcome back." James said as he shut the door. "How was it?"

"Uneventful. I got everything on the list, paid the land taxes, secured the bribes."

Lucas took a seat. James set a glass of scotch in front of him and walked to the other side, taking his place at the head of the desk. He brought himself a glass and took a gulp.

"I'm going to need you to go back in the morning."

"Why?" The thought of spending more time around humans disgusted Lucas. "Let me rephrase that, no. Whatever you need can wait until the next season."

"Careful," James said. "I'm still your Alpha. This was a last minute emergency. It couldn't be helped."

"If you would invest in a phone line or cell tower this could have been avoided. What do you need?"

Lucas knew his comment was ridiculous, either of those things would be impossible this high up without human involvement. They were lucky to have secured electricity and indoor plumbing.

"We have a new pack member. A young girl. She moved to Laramie a few days ago. I need you to go clean out her house and tell her landlord she won't be returning; it shouldn't take long. Nobody else will notice her missing. No family or friends, hadn't even started her job yet. They'll assume she flaked."

"We know the landlord?"

"Dale Bode."

"Give me some money," Lucas said. "That man won't even blink."

"That's what I figured too. Before you leave tomorrow I need you to asses her skill level. I don't think she has a clue how to fight anything, bet she's never killed a spider."

James looked in the distance and took a sip. Lucas glanced at his watch. He wanted to grab something to eat and get a work out in before bed.

"She was lost, an outcast tried to eat her. If we were thirty seconds later she would be dead."

Lucas really didn't care. No matter what sad story the girl came with she was a turned wolf, the last one they had was practically worthless.

"She's strong too. I can't control her that easily."

Lucas laughed and shook his head.

"So you didn't get a hummer from her yet?"

James broke into a huge smile and raised an eyebrow.

"Not yet," he said. "She's still adjusting. Truthfully she took it well...almost too well."

"What are you thinking?"

"I think she is going to try and run away. Thinks she can act well-adjusted enough nobody will watch her and she will sneak off. So I had Suzy drug her dinner."

"If she wants to go let her go." Lucas didn't share his Alpha's concerns.

"She would be dead within a month."

"Not our problem."

"It is our problem, she a pack member." James set his glass down and locked eyes with Lucas. He gulped, not liking the intense glare. "We are approaching 100 members. You do know what will happen then?"

Lucas nodded.

"If you ever want the Alpha position you're going to have to learn a little compassion. I'm anticipating ten years, twenty tops until our numbers will be too high and you will have to break away and form your own pack. How do you expect anyone to follow you if they're terrified of you?"

"They'll follow me because they know I will protect them," Lucas said. "Those who want protection at least."

James shook his head. Lucas was glad the conversation was over. He gripped the chair, ready to stand when his Alpha spoke again.

"How is celibacy treating you?"

"I'm not celibate. I'm monogamous."

"Monogamy is for mates," James said. "Last I checked neither you nor Roxy had met yours."

"Roxy is beautiful, smart, and strong. I can't think there is a more desirable woman out there for me."

"That's not your choice to make."

"I don't see you running off searching for your destined other half."

"Are you kidding?" James asked. "I would love to meet my mate, but until that happens I'm going to behave like any other normal wolf and spend my time enjoying myself. That is what you and Roxy should be doing."

Lucas leaned forward and ran his hand over his head. He knew he wasn't capable of love and thought his and Roxy's relationship was as close as he would ever come. She wanted monogamy and he wanted her to stay with him. It worked out.

"I'm going to mark her the next full moon." Lucas knew James would object, but decided it was time to come clean.

"You are as dumb as you are good looking."

Lucas let out a growl. James laughed.

"So you're willing to destroy any chance you have at total bliss for a lifetime of Roxy?"

"It's what she wants. When we do split off she will make a great Luna."

"Roxy? The girl who sits and gossips all day? I mean sure she can fight, but she can't lead for shit. Her ego is too big for her to worry about anyone else, let alone an entire pack."

"If you don't have anything else I'm going to head downstairs." Lucas stood up, not wanting to hear James' opinions.

"I won't stand in your way, but know this. The second you mark her there will never be a chance for you to claim your real mate. You will also cause her excruciating pain and if you ever are lucky enough to meet, the two of you will know right away and you will both know what you did. We can only be bound to one wolf."

"You're right. I don't have compassion or empathy. I'm an asshole. What makes you think a mate would change that?"

James picked his glass up and did a cheers towards Lucas, then slammed the rest of his drink. Lucas nodded before turning and walking out. More annoyed than anything else.