The Ninth Step

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
thecelt
thecelt
2,495 Followers

After I was sure my insides were going to stay there, I pushed myself up and went to splash some cold water on my face and use some to rinse out my foul mouth. I was now beginning to remember some of what I said to May and my face was warm with shame. I was drunk! I hadn't been drunk in probably twenty years. I couldn't remember the last time I had been this stupid. Stupid because I was a lousy drunk. I couldn't hold my alcohol and when I was stupid enough to have a few, I made a fool out of myself. So, I quit a long time ago for good reason. Now, I remembered the reason.

I walked out, ready to face May and my foolishness and almost ran into Janet. She was standing just outside the men's room and had obviously been waiting for me. Now that my mind was functioning again, albeit slowly and with difficulty, I guessed that May had told her where I was on the cell. Well, it was just too bad that she had to find me this way, but I didn't really care. Now that I knew what she was, I didn't have to worry any more about her. I straightened myself up to my full height of just about six feet of pure muscle and tried to glare down at her, which was tough when she was almost as tall as I was. Well then, I would level my manly gaze directly on her and force her to back away.

Didn't work. Damn! The problem was that as I was leveling my steely gaze on her, I was wobbling from side to side and almost fell over backwards. She watched my pathetic self with a sneer on her face while I gathered my remaining wits together and faced her.

"I don't know why you're here. I know what you did with Jerry back when. He told me that you two had an affair and that you had sex with him. You cheated on me, and I'm done with you. So, there!" Damn! Well said! I puffed up with pride at how well I had done. I waited for her apology, her groveling and pleading with me to forgive her, her pathetic attempts to persuade me that she really loved me and wanted me to let her come back. But, I would resist with manly pride. I was the man scorned. Was that right? Man scorned? No, it was a woman scorned. What was a man? Oh, yeah, cuckolded. That was it.

I was becoming confused. Instead of falling down in tears, Janet was just staring at me with that same look of contempt. She was standing there, her fists pressed against her sides, saying nothing. I waited but she didn't move.

"Well? Don't you have something you want to say to me?" I was in full control now. She would have to beg for my forgiveness now that I knew. I waited.

"May, can you help me get this idiot into my car? I have to get him home before he does something else stupid." May came over and the two of them took me by the hands and pulled me toward the front of the bar. I followed without resisting, trying to figure out what had just happened. I told her that I knew. I told her I was done with her. Why wasn't she apologizing? What the hell was going on here?

Together they stuffed me in Janet's van and before I knew it I was heading home with Janet driving. I looked over at her but she was ignoring me completely. I decided that I would just wait till we got home before I said any more. Anyway, I was very tired and I was finding it hard to keep my eyes open. Maybe just a little nap until we got home. Just rest my eyes a little. I had just shut my eyes when Janet was tugging me out of the van and into the house. I went willingly, not sure how we got there so fast.

I was going to stop in the kitchen to confront Janet but found myself walking into the bedroom. I wanted to say something but instead, felt my pants being jerked down. When I looked down to see what was happening, I felt a push against my chest and I fell backwards onto the bed. Damn did that feel good. Maybe just a little nap to get my strength back. Maybe just . . . . . . .

I woke to bright sunlight streaming in the window. I groaned, tried to roll over to block it out when I smelled the wonderful aroma of coffee. It was enough to make me open my eyes and try to stand. That was a whole other thing. It took me three tries to get my feet under me enough that I could stand without falling over. That caused my head to pound and it felt as though it was going to split wide open. I stood very still until that passed. I felt a little nauseous but that eventually passed and I found my way downstairs to the kitchen and that wonderful smell.

As I entered the kitchen, I saw Janet standing there, leaning against the counter looking very calm and collected. She watched me with a smile as she said, "Good morning. I hope you feel as bad as you look. You certainly deserve it after what you did last night. What the hell ever possessed you to get drunk? And what were you babbling about when you said you knew what we did? Who was we? And what did we do? You were mumbling about cheating. Did you cheat with someone?"

Me cheat? What the hell was she talking about? I had to have coffee. I waved her away and grabbed a cup which I filled to the brim with hot black coffee, the stuff of life. I sipped carefully, burning my lips but needing the jolt. After a few sips, the warmth in my stomach translated to a feeling of normalcy. I sighed, sat down with the cup clutched between my palms and regarded her. Now I felt confident enough to lay it out for her.

"Well Janet. Guess who came to see me yesterday? Give up? Jerry Geiger! Your one time lover. He told me all about it. He told me how you called him to meet you for dinner and how you seduced him and then how the two of you had sex. He confessed, Janet! He confessed!"

Janet listened without response as I laid it out for her, piece by piece. I now waited for her pleas and protestations of remorse. Surely they would come now.

"And why pray tell did Jerry Geiger tell you this? Why did he suddenly confess about our affair?"

"Because he was on step nine of twelve. He's a recovering alcoholic and he's making amends to those he hurt. I was his best friend and he screwed you, my loving wife. He felt bad and wanted me to forgive him. As if!"

Janet was still smiling as she listened to me. I was becoming very confused. Why was she smiling? Did she care so little about me that she didn't care that I found out? Was she going to leave me now? Maybe this wasn't such a good idea. Damn that Jerry! Why did he have to tell me this shit? Why couldn't he have left it alone? Damn!

"Paul, I want you to listen to me very carefully. I'll only say this once. Remember as I tell you this that Jerry is an alcoholic, and that I can't stand him. I never could!" She looked at me to see if I was listening, then continued. "Jerry was drunk for most of the time you knew him. He was drunk all of the time I knew him. Most of the time, he wasn't even aware of where he was or who he was with because he's a drunk, Paul. He's a drunk. But, OK. Here's what happened.

"Jerry called me very late one night while you were in Japan. We had met a few times at his insistence just to talk but for some reason that night he wanted to come over. He decided we had to learn to be friends to make you happy. I told him I was already sleeping and to go to hell. An hour later, he showed up at the door, drunk as a skunk. I tried to push him out the door but he charged inside. I followed him in and watched him go upstairs to our bedroom. I waited a while for him to come back down, but when he didn't I went up and found him passed out on our bed. I decided to let him sleep it off and went downstairs and fell asleep on the couch.

"The following morning, Jerry came down, saw me still in my nightgown and apparently thought we had slept together. He was all apologetic and was crying about cheating on his best friend. He pleaded with me not to ever tell you and I let him go on, never thinking about correcting him and let him leave the house believing he had cheated on you. I thought it was great since it meant he would try his best to avoid us. It worked. I never saw him again and you and he drifted apart."

Janet stopped, folded her arms across her chest and just looked at me. "That's what really happened Paul. So, I guess you have to decide who to believe. Me, your wife who loves you and forgives you for getting drunk at two in the morning, or your drunken friend who didn't even know what the hell he was doing most of the years you knew him."

I thought about it. Who did I believe? I looked at Janet standing there calmly, not even worrying about what I thought and actually laughing at me, or my best friend Jerry who would do anything for me. Actually, it wasn't much of a choice. Jerry was a drunk, and I knew it. I'd been with him many times when he couldn't remember what we did the night before. And I knew for a fact that his boozing caused a real short term memory loss. So, even though I had a tiny, nagging doubt, I believed that Jerry had never been with Janet.

"You're right. Jerry is full of shit! And I'm sorry for what I put you through last night. It was low of me. Can you forgive me?" Puppy dog look and puppy dog eyes that she couldn't resist. She forgave me.

"Listen. I'm going upstairs to take a shower and change and then I'm taking you out for lunch. We'll go anywhere you want and afterwards, I'll take you shopping. You can buy yourself a present from me for being an ass. A very expensive present."

"You're forgiven. Go, take your shower." Janet kissed me hard and patted me on the ass as I went upstairs. Thank God! I was so thankful that Janet had never had an affair with Jerry. I went happily.

Epilogue

I watched Paul go upstairs for his shower with a feeling of great relief. When he said I was a cheater over the phone, my heart almost stopped. My mind went numb and maybe that saved me because I never answered him. Then, when he later mentioned Jerry and Jerry's need to confess, I knew I had a chance. Thank God he was too drunk to function well and fortunately didn't notice, which gave me time to recover. But then I decided to tell him the truth about that night with Jerry, so I did. Well, almost. You see, what I told Paul really was the truth, word for word. It's what I didn't tell him that makes the difference. And it's a difference that Paul will never know about. Never.

That night happened at a time when my relationship with Paul was at its lowest. We fought, he had moved out and to make matters worse, was on one of his all too frequent trips to Japan. I had almost given up hope for the two of us. Jerry did call that night and I listened and I did refuse to see him. We had met a few times at his request but I just couldn't find it inside me to like the guy. I guess what he wanted was to continue his quest to see if we could be friends.

So, when Jerry came to the door, I answered, knowing that it was probably him. He was drunk as usual and he was babbling about "doing it for Paul", or some such nonsense. I told him to go away, but instead of talking to me and trying to get me to let him in, he just pushed past me into the house and went upstairs. But what Jerry didn't know was that I wasn't alone that night. Fortunately for me, he was making a lot of noise and Brian heard him coming. That's right. Brian Watson, a coworker of mine in the accounting department. He knew both Paul and I and was aware of our problems. He had been hitting on me for some time and that particular night, I had given in and invited him over. Well, one thing led to another and we were upstairs in my bed when Jerry came. That's where I left him to answer the door.

Hearing Jerry coming, Brian figured out what was going on and moved into the spare room before Jerry reached the bedroom. He watched through the slightly opened door and saw Jerry go into the master bedroom, then snuck over to the door and saw that he was inside, passed out on the bed. He came over to the top of the steps and waved me up. After deciding that he was too drunk to wake, we put Jerry to bed in our bed, right where he had passed out. Brian is the one that undressed him. I just watched.

Once Jerry was in bed, Brian and I went into the spare room and finished what we had started. We made love for two hours with Jerry sleeping right next door. It really was pretty great and I had missed Paul so I was horny as hell. But afterwards, as I listened to Brian in the shower, I began to think of what could have happened if it had been Paul rather than Jerry that night, and what I was risking. I decided then and there that I didn't ever want to have to face that so I told Brian that we were through. I told him even though Paul had moved out for a time it made no difference. We were still married and I wanted our marriage to continue. It wasn't going to continue if I was going to cheat on Paul. I decided that night to fight for what I had and what I realized that I could lose. Brian heard me out and accepted my decision. He wanted to stay the night, but I had made up my mind. I wanted him to leave and he did.

He left before daylight and I went downstairs waiting for Jerry to wake up. When he did come down and in his confusion believed we had slept together, I let him think we had and convinced him that Paul must never know. I cried and pleaded with him and Jerry bought it and that was the last I heard from him until now. So, even though this was almost a disaster, it worked out well. Paul is happy, I'm happy and that prick Jerry is miserable. How about that?

That was what really happened that night and it was just that one time. I never cheated on Paul again nor did I ever even want to. And even though I lied to him, I never had second thoughts. Paul loved me and I loved him and I wanted nothing more than our marriage and our life together. I've protected my secret and I am going to take it with me to the grave. I know what you must think of me but I don't care. I made a mistake and I have to live with it, but that's no reason for me to give up the man I love. My punishment is knowing what I did. I have to live with that!

And by the way, when Paul comes down from his shower, I have something to tell him. He's going to be a father.

thecelt
thecelt
2,495 Followers
12