The Patrol

Story Info
A Rim-Cat Platoon leader faces overwhelming odds.
2.5k words
4.58
9.3k
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
TRIAX
TRIAX
34 Followers

Second Lieutenant Ace Diwa scanned his surrounding environment on top of his open commander's cupola of the Leopard 2A5EX Main Battle Tank, behind his tank is a Puma CFV, and two Boxer APCs. His patrol consists of twenty-four men all together task with finding and eradicating any insurgent groups found within his patrol area, a grueling 30 square miles. It has been a week since the regiment arrived and made a name as an effective counter-insurgency and mobile force. Rumors has is that even the Parthians are negotiating some sort of a status quo with the government of Ar'Raq, the Rim-Cat's client government. The sun is slowly setting as the breeze from the marshland of Ar'Raq rushes on to the patrol leader's face.

"LT did you hear about Captain Macie Curtis?"

His driver asked as he let the information process through his mind. The second lieutenant is young, barely 23 years of age. For a while he had a crush with the beautiful half Asian female mercenary officer, after what happened to her a couple of days ago, he was shocked and a bit horrified that the woman he have liked has been victimized by these insurgents.

"Don't believe in rumors Rick," he replied in denial via his comm.

"But LT there were people who said it happened."

"Where they there to witness it happened?"

"No LT."

"Then there's no basis for it to be factual," Ace smiled at his response shutting the man up.

During such long patrols, gossips and talk from the great vine becomes a local subject for bored troopers. Unlike most troopers, he wanted to be alert. Though they have defeated their foes in combat a week before, that does not mean that they are still out there in force, ready to ambush, kill, and take their stance against them.

"Just keep your eyes open Rick," he added, "and that goes to all of you."

"Yes sir," replies from the crew of his 4 combat vehicles.

Ace lowered himself down the turret, closed the hatch, and locked it. He focused on the information within the view screen in front of him and noticed a suspicious thermal image from a patrolling UAV drone a good ten minutes ago. The patrol leader checked and verified his map, finding what he needs. Ace immediately transmitted the information to all the drivers within his patrol.

"We got to check this village out," he explained to his men, "it's about a good 20 miles away. But this looks very fishy to me."

"I agree with you LT," replied the Puma CFV commander.

"Let's get over there as fast as we can and get out. Probably it's nothing to fuss about."

"I hope so Dylan," replied the second lieutenant.

Over a half hour passed as the four combat vehicles entered the outskirt of the village. Ace can feel that there is something not right in this place, he quickly turned on his thermal imager.

"Break right!"

The tank commander shouted as a missile streaked towards them, immediately the driver did what was told instinctively as a chaff dispenser shot out the counter-measure device. An anti-tank guided missile detonated a few yards where the Leopard 2A6EX used to be. Ace turned the turret at the PT-91 that shot the missile from its main gun tube, with an Armor Piercing, Fin Stabilized, Discarding Sabot-Tracer (APFSDS-T) round loaded into his 120mm main cannon, the Rim-Cat patrol leader depressed the thumb button of his joystick. His 120mm gun of the Leopard 2A6EX Main Battle Tank thundered to life, as the round found its mark at the front while the reactive armor held on, another round is loaded and fired at the same target. This time the insurgent's tank exploded ripping the interior of the tank open, raining the immediate area with heated scrap metal.

"Ambush," Ace informed the rest of his patrol as the three other vehicles reacted properly at the threat.

The Puma swerved to the left, launching a chaff counter-measure thus avoiding an anti-tank guided missile while the guidance system is confused. A jolt rocked the cavalry fighting vehicle as the missile exploded harmlessly a few yards away. Sergeant Joseph Arevallo swung the turret towards the BTR-3 of the insurgents and let loose a long burst of his 30mm cannon sending rounds after rounds of SABOT shells onto the insurgent's combat vehicle. The BTR-3 exploded as with a tremendous roar, a smile emitted from the Puma's commander's face as he searched for another target.

"Tiger to base, we're under attack," Ace reported back to their headquarters, "I'm requesting for some reinforcement and air support."

"Base to Tiger, I'm sorry to say this. But you're on your own until some of the other units can fight through their own ambushes as well. The armed UAVs are already in action and will take a good 30 minutes to reload and be sent to aid your unit," replied the Rim-Cat's H.Q.

Fuck, I'm all alone in this one.

Ace thumbs the STAFF (Smart Target Activated Fire and Forget) round to be loaded onto the 120mm main gun of his Leopard 2A6EX Main Battle Tank. He flicks his wrist to the left as another PT-91 Main Battle Tank loomed into view, his thumb depressed on the firing button of the joystick and the sound of thunder echoed throughout the tank as the main gun fired. Loading another STAFF round, he locked on and fired again. Both rounds found their mark as the Leopard zigzags avoiding a direct hit from the PT-91s main cannon. The insurgent's tank exploded as the turret was tossed into the air as the STAFF round detonated upon penetrating through the armor of the doomed insurgent's tank.

"Infantry, disembark and secure the buildings," Ace Diwa shouted over his comm.

The two Boxer APCs stopped and opened the rear hatch delivering their cargo of a six-man team. Two of the members of every six-man team is equipped with an anti-tank missile, the teams sweep through the unoccupied buildings as the Boxer's provided cover with their 50 caliber machinegun and their 40mm automatic grenade launcher.

"Sweep through the area Ryan," he commanded his driver.

Ace's Leopard moved around to the right flank, close to the tank's crew followed Joseph Arevallo's Puma CFV.

"Contact to the left," shouted the tank's gunner.

A pair of BRD-3 rolled within view as the 30mm cannon rattled its long burst of fire while the 120mm boomed with its HEAT Multi-Purpose round. Both vehicles blossomed in a massive fireball as scrap metals were tossed in all direction.

"Got them," replied the Puma's gunner.

The two combat vehicles has taken out a platoon of tanks and CFVs single handedly, unknown to them the day is not over yet and a hard fight loomed ahead of them.

"Sir, we got contacts all over the scanner," reported the tank's gunner.

Ace quickly checked his view screen and double checked.

"Shit, it's a damn trap," he muttered, "All units prepare for defensive action. They'll be up on our asses soon gentlemen."

He identified 50 infantry troops moving around the village of six buildings and 4 Zulfigar tanks. By their equipment alone, he knew that his patrol just stumbled themselves on a force of Parthian troops. Loading his main cannon with another STAFF round he immediately locked onto the nearest tank and fired, loading again within three seconds, he locked on the same tank again at the same area and fired. The Leopard's main gun boomed in 5 seconds intervals, the guided rounds found their mark and detonated. The Parthian tank exploded, first the tank's reactive armor prevented the penetration of the STAFF round, then the second round punched through detonating inside the vulnerable area of the Zulfigar Main Battle Tank. Another massive fireball erupted as the Parthian tank exploded in a ball of flames.

The two Boxer APCs assumed in a position as a mobile machinegun and grenade launching platform, the first APC swung around and screened the oncoming Parthian Infantry. The Rim-Cat's APC hosed the enemy with machinegun fire and peppered their approach with High Explosive and Fragmentation grenade rounds, a dozen of the Parthian soldiers fall victim to such display of firepower. A group of Parthians were tossed into the air as their limbs separated their bloody and torn bodies. The rest were ripped to shreds by the machinegun fire.

"Infantry teams set up a perimeter and hold the enemy off!"

Two men manned each building, as the riflemen, machine gunners, and SAW gunners opened fire at the oncoming enemy troops. The remaining Zulfigar tanks flanked to the left, one aimed at the Boxer APC and fired its main gun. An explosion erupted as the Boxer's light armor gave in through the sheer force of the HEAT round from the enemy tank, three men died instantly as the tank blossomed in flames.

"Damn it," cursed Ace as his scanner registered the lost of one Boxer APC.

He loaded up another STAFF round and fired aiming for the rear of the tank responsible for the lost of the 3 man Boxer APC crew. The Zulfigar exploded and was followed by a second explosion, as the ammunition inside the tank cooked off the tank exploded in a massive fireball.

"Joseph, watch your flank!"

A fifth unseen Zulfigar rolled into view and fired its main gun. The Puma's chobram armor kicked in as the cavalry fighting vehicle shuddered through the explosion, another shot fired from the enemy's tank. This time the depleted chobram armor was no long available. The Puma exploded, Joseph Arevallo and his crew instantly perished from the explosion.

"Ryan, zigzag around the bastards," Ace commanded his driver as he aimed his cannon at another Zulfigar.

Two anti-tank missiles streaked towards another Zulfigar Parthian tank. The Zulfigar launched its chaff and easily avoided the missiles. Another Zulfigar shuddered as a STAFF round found its mark through the right side of its body, another thunderous roar emitted from the Leopard and the shuddering Zulfigar exploded in a ball of flame.

"Infantry take cover!"

The warning was barely enough as the three tanks fired at a building, soon the building collapse under such display of firepower killing the two Rim-Cat troopers posted inside. Another set of missiles fired from another building, the reactive armor of the Zulfigar prevented a successful hit. As the enemy tank shook, it aimed and fired both its main gun and machineguns at the building. The first trooper was decapitated as the machinegun rounds pounded through his face, while his comrade in arms was overtaken by the explosion and his body ripped apart from the cannon's deadly fire.

"Infantry, get out of the area," Ace shouted to his remaining ground troops.

As another STAFF cartridge rammed into the 120mm cannon of his Leopard 2A6EX, he aimed, locked on, and fired at a Zulfigar. The explosion shook the tank, but the two remaining Zulfigar's flanked him from the left and right. Each of the Parthian's guns erupted.

"Chaffs and swerve right Ryan."

The chaffs were launched as the Leopard hastily avoided the deadly blow of two main cannon shells from the Zulfigar. Ace swirled his turret and fired another STAFF round to the second tank, loading again he aimed at the same target once again. Upon hearing the lock indicator beeping, he fired the 120mm gun as the STAFF round plunges itself onto the weakened Zulfigar armor, detonating from the inside and engulfing the tank in a massive fireball.

"Parthian infantry," shouted the remaining Boxer APC's commander.

The Parthian infantry swarms around the remaining four buildings as the defenders lay down their rifle and machinegun fire.

"We need fire support here," said an infantry trooper.

"On my way hold on," replied the Boxer's commander.

Ace Diwa's Leopard fired at the oncoming infantry using the A.I. of the tank. He allowed the two machineguns in the cupola to seek out and rips their target apart. A group of six infantry troops wearing Parthian military uniform was caught in such a line of fire that they were mowed down by the 50 caliber machineguns. The remaining Boxer APC charged through the swarm of enemy troops firing both its weapons at them from the left and right, supporting the APC. The infantry teams kept up their volume of fire, cutting down a group of six men.

"Oh shit," muttered Ace as he noticed the other Zulfigar aiming its gun on a building.

The Parthian's gun fired, immediately the building collapsed after a ball of flame consumed it, another pair of Rim-Cat troopers lost their lives in the service of their client. Ace fired his gun, loading it again with a HEAT round, he fired. The Zulfigar exploded as both round found their mark.

"Got you now, you son of a bitch," Ace cursed aiming his gun at a group of Parthian infantry.

Ace loaded up his cannon with a canister round and fired. The infantry group he targeted ceased to exist as scattered and bloody piece of flesh littered the area, he twist his wrist and brought his gun to bare at the last Zulfigar. Ramming in a new STAFF round he thumbed the button as the 120mm gun boomed into action, the round found its mark exploding, the reactive armor depleted. Another round was slammed into the gun of the Leopard, this time the Zulfigar fired. The Leopard shuddered taking the brunt of the blast, the chobram armor effectively saved Ace and his crew from such a deadly hit. Ace Diwa fired his gun once again, this time he was rewarded with a ball of flame that engulfed the Zulfigar. He sighs in relief and witnessed his patrol mopped up the remaining infantry troops, as the task finished he leaned back and closed his eyes.

"Tiger patrol to base."

"H.Q. here, go on Tiger."

"Mission accomplished," Ace reported.

"I'm glad you guys are alright," said the .H.Q communication officer.

"I lost half my patrol," he said bluntly, "and it's not fucking alright to go fight like this without any air support."

"I'm sorry Ace but the UCAS (Unmanned Combat Air System) drones are barely being unloaded," replied H.Q.

"Ace you're not the only one who lost men today," said the familiar voice of Colonel Marcus "Mumbatik, Marc the Black Cat" Dangal, "Many men lost their lives today trooper. Our losses are close to one-third of our original strength, it is your unit who was hit hard at the time.

"Yes Colonel I understand that. I just think that my men shouldn't have been sacrificed like this."

"It's the reality of war trooper," replied Marc, "You of all people should know that since you have served in the Panthers before."

"Understood sir," Ace closed his cupola as he sat and think of the day's gruesome event.

Second Lieutenant Ace Diwa made sure that the rest of his men were recovered as the tank and the Boxer APC rolled off the distant horizon headed back to their base.

TRIAX
TRIAX
34 Followers