The Pearl Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well, fine. Then I think it's time we started being exclusive."

Dakota stared at him, incredulous. Then she snapped, "You accost me in a restaurant, stalk me outside of it, in general make an ass of yourself, then have the audacity to ask me out?" She shook her head. "Unbelievable."

He looked over to me. "What about you? You seeing anybody?"

"No," I said, all earnestness and a fetching smile. "Why, do you want to go out with me since you clearly blew your shot with her?"

I was really going to have to start thinking these comments through before saying them. Maybe I should make a resolution or something. Homophobia is a particularly strong trait in the full-blooded American asshole, and this one was no different. He slugged me, hard.

The force of the blow knocked me off balance and I went down to a crouch. It didn't hurt, but it did cause my control to falter badly, much worse than in the restaurant. My body wanted to explode out into the dragon. I managed to keep the human form, but I was afraid that if I moved at all, I would lose control completely. Dakota dropped down next to me to check that I was all right. I simply nodded when she asked. Then she looked up to Chad.

"Actually, there is a difference between you two," she said. "Sebastian is a friend of mine."

"And?" he asked with disdain.

"At this moment, you're not."

He headed toward Dakota. "You're coming with me."

Briefly, I considered changing, but realized they were both too close to me. With my size and weight, one or both of them could get seriously hurt if I shifted right here. Dakota slowly stood up. "The. Hell. I. Am."

Well, Dakota's stance was pretty clear. I risked a glance at Chappy. He seemed to be wrestling with something very dark. Then it passed and he looked down and away before quietly saying, "I'm sorry." When he looked back, his face was unreadable. "Maybe I should just go."

"I think you should," she said, and for the first time since I met her, Dakota's voice sounded totally cold. He turned and left.

Dakota immediately dropped back down to my side. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes," I answered curtly. "Just please tell me when he's out of sight."

Dakota straightened up slightly and watched. After what felt like an eternity she said, "He's gone."

I stood shakily and stumbled as far away from Dakota as I could get before I let go, exhausted. The dragon form just sort of spilled out of the human form like an overturned drink, and I lay there, uncertain of what to say or do. Dakota sat down near my head.

"I'm so sorry," she said softly. "I apparently attract really shithead men directly to you."

I quickly looked up to see Dakota wiping tears away. That wouldn't do at all.

"You can't hold yourself accountable for what that asshole said or did. When it came right down to it, you told him where to go and how to get there." I carefully cupped my claw under her chin. "Thank you, by the way."

She snuffled slightly before asking, "For what?" "You said I was your friend and he wasn't."

She smiled. "Well, it's true, but you're welcome anyway."

I dropped my arm and hauled myself upright. "Well, shall we go the rest of the way?"

Dakota nodded and gathered up the discarded take-out bag before standing up. She laid her free hand on my front shoulder. I liked that. But then again, I seemed to like everything she did. I would have to be careful; I could see myself falling hard for her. Too soon, we reached the river and Chang. "Waiting up for us?" I asked.

"I was hoping for dumplings," he responded.

Smiling, Dakota held out the bag as Chang shifted back to his human form. He did it with an ease and grace that I could only hope to master someday.

"How was your dinner?" he asked while taking the bag.

As Chang sat down and began eating his supper, Dakota and I took turns telling him what happened. She was embarrassed by what happened with Chappy, but she went into all of it anyway. Chang listened intently. When we were finished, he looked to Dakota.

"These were very good dumplings. Thank you for bringing them."

Dakota looked a little dumbfounded, but answered, "You're welcome."

"As to the problems at hand, this fellow who seems to have attempted to lay claim to you, Dakota," he began, gesturing to her. "I would recommend avoiding him. I think he will bring you much sorrow." He turned his attention back to me. "As to this strange dragon, I know none of my clan are here. But what other clans, or representatives, may be here I cannot say. I shall have to look into this further."

"But why was he so peeved with me? It is a territory thing? Or is it because I have a pearl?"

"It's entirely possible he saw you as impinging upon his territory. As for the pearl, it shouldn't be his concern. But, as I said, I will need to look into this." He rose up and walked over to stand in front of Dakota.

"With your permission?" he said.

Once more Dakota looked confused. So was I, for that matter. But just as I would have had Chang been standing in front of me, she agreed. Chang carefully traced something on her forehead with an upraised finger. I could sense the power involved, and could tell Dakota felt it, too. He then placed his hand on the back of her head and inclined it forward, brushing his lips in a very gentle kiss over the spot he marked. As I was watching so closely, I saw Dakota's eyelids flutter closed and the quick inhalation of her breath. Man, I had to learn more of the dragon mojo, and soon. "There," Chang said, a note of satisfaction in his voice as he leaned back and released Dakota's head. She opened her eyes and looked at him expectantly. "That will keep you safe for the night. But please, step lightly and walk cautiously." And with that, he disappeared.

To Be Continued

12