The Pearl Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We went there overground. How am I supposed to find it again?"

Qiang fixed Chad with a pained look. "Do you mean to tell me you can't find a dragon by sense? After tracking the Jorogumo far more effectively than I have? Is that really what you're going to try and sell me?"

Chad looked down. He wasn't trying to sell Qiang anything. Tracking Sebastian honestly hadn't occurred to him. Qiang was right, though. Chad could most likely find Sebastian with some effort. He had been so caught up in the hunt for the Jorogumo he hadn't thought about the long-term implications of how he was keeping an eye on her. He shifted his weight uncomfortably. As a tool in the short-term to stop a monster, his heightened awareness had been useful. However, long-term applications of these talents didn't sit as well with him. It made the world frightening. He had never cared much for being frightened.

Qiang watched the play of emotions over Chad's face. He didn't need to see into the boy's mind to see the direction he was going. The boy had handled himself well up to this point and Qiang had forgotten how new to all this he was. Anxiety was often a part of the experience for the newly awakened.

"Was there nothing worth the having?" Qiang asked.

The hawk stirred in Chad's heart and memory. A thought then occurred to him, that by acting assertively and positively fear can be controlled. The darkness, including his darkness, could be controlled. He took a deep breath.

"All right. I assume you're sending me. How do we get to where they are?"

"Mingzhu's car should still be there. Have her drive you."

"Are you sure you can handle this?"

Qiang shook his head. "You know, hero, I have done this before. I can handle it. On the other hand, Sebastian has been fed on and drained and Dakota is left in the cold of night without shelter or heavy clothing. It will be worse than a hallow victory if we destroy the Jorogumo and lose the two of them."

"It's not that cold out."

"From the man who until recently was covered in feathers. Trust me, it doesn't have to get very cold for a person to lose body heat. Especially considering she is under-dressed and coming down from a tremendous shock. They need attending to and you're the only person I have."

Chad nodded. "Fine."

"Thank you," Qiang said as he sent Chad back to his lair.

With a wave of vertigo Chad appeared. He crouched down to avoid swooning all together.

This had actually been a bit easier as bird, he thought.

Mingzhu ran over to him. "Are you all right?" she asked, offering him a hand up.

Chad took her hand and nodded. "Yeah, thanks."

"Is everything all right?"

Chad cocked his head, unconsciously mimicking the hawk. "I suppose that depends on your definition. Sebastian has been freed from the Jorogumo, but he's seen better days. Dakota dumped a crap load of energy pulling Sebastian away from the Jorogumo, so she's hurting too. Qiang sent me here to have you gather up some food for Sebastian and a jacket and blanket for Dakota. He wants me to show you where they are on the river. I have a sneaking suspicion that he also wanted to get rid of me and take on the Jorogumo by himself."

"That sounds about right. Give me a moment, and I'll have the things together."

As Mingzhu left Chad followed after. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

She looked back and smiled. "Yes, I think I could use your assistance."

The kitchen was closed down. Surprised, Chad looked around for a clock. Eleven o'clock, much later than he thought. Mingzhu grabbed a box and handed it to Chad.

"Hold this, please, and follow me."

Chad took the box and followed her. Mingzhu braced open the cooler and loaded up the box with poultry and fish, vegetables, and some cooked dumplings. She then disappeared back into Qiang's office and was gone for a few minutes. When she returned she was carrying blankets and a jacket. She put on her own jacket and grabbed her keys.

"Are you ready?"

Chad nodded. "Lead on."

Mingzhu led Chad out the back of the restaurant, locking the door afterward and went over to a late-model Taurus. She opened the back door and Chad set the box on the back seat. When they were in the car, Mingzhu asked for directions as she turned the key in the ignition. Unsure of Sebastian and Dakota's exact position, Chad told her to head toward the river.

As Mingzhu drove, she glanced at her passenger. She wasn't certain who he was. She'd been far too concerned with worry, and then the task at hand to question who Qiang had sent for her. Now she began to wonder at his identity. She thought he might be the goldfinch, but was unsure when he became human. She could sense Qiang's magic on him, and knew he wouldn't send someone to his lair that was untrustworthy. She was tempted to ask the young man who he was, but upon observing him it seemed like a bad idea.

He was slouched in the passenger seat, his eyes closed and his hand resting against his forehead over his right eye. From the look of it, he was casting for something. For the time being, she accepted things as they were. It was often easier that way when dealing with Qiang's plans. As much as she loved him, there were times Qiang's dragonic tendency to command rather than request, and forge complex plans without a lot of consideration for the people involved was damnably inconvenient. And annoying. He always meant well, almost always, but it still rankled.

Once they reached the river, Mingzhu stopped and waited for further directions. The young man shifted in his seat and looked apologetic.

"I'm a little new at this, give me a second." Chad had been trying to get a bead on Sebastian the entire car ride with little success. He could get a vague sense of direction, but not enough to direct by. Now, as he tried again, he was aware of Mingzhu waiting next to him.

"Certainly," she said, her tone friendly.

Her patience made him more self-conscious, as if he was failing her in addition to the others. With some concentration, Chad shut Mingzhu out of his awareness and focused again on Sebastian. He sifted through his remembrances. Though few, they were intense. He found what he was looking for, the feel of Sebastian when he pushed him away, the first awareness of the dragon. But it wasn't quite enough; he couldn't quite focus through it for a specific direction to go in, only the same general awareness. Inspiration struck, and he looked through the eyes of the hawk. Suddenly, his head snapped around to the right and he knew where to go.

This is getting really weird. He couldn't help the discomfort, the overwhelming strangeness of it all. He heard his father's voice,Just do the work in front of you, what you're feeling doesn't matter. Of course, his father had meant it in a far different way, but the sentiment still applied. Chad was surprised, he'd never thought he would find anything good in his fathers...teachings.

"Is that they way we have to go?" Mingzhu asked, breaking Chad's reverie. He realized he'd probably been sitting that way for a few minutes.

"Sorry, yeah, they're this way."

"About how far?"

Chad considered the distance. "Less than a mile, I'd say."

"Very good, let's get moving."

Chad and Mingzhu climbed out of the car and Chad pulled the box from the back seat. They found a path and followed it, still traveling in silence. Chad's silence was from considering his next move, Mingzhu's out of deference to the silence of the strange young man. When they were a few feet away, but still hidden by the brush and darkness, Chad stopped.

"They're over that way." He gestured around the box to down the path. "Just a little ways ahead. Do you think you can carry this the rest of the way?"

Mingzhu took the box. It wasn't heavy, and she had often done stock work. "Yes, I believe I can. Where are you going?"

Chad held up his hand in a gesture for silence, his face taut with concentration. He was trying to picture in his mind what it was like to be the hawk, every nuance and detail.

"I think I've got it," he said quietly. He turned to Mingzhu. "I'm going back to Qiang. Thank you for taking those things to Sebastian and Dakota." Where he stood, there was a large red tailed hawk beating its wings against the air. Then he became air-borne and headed off.

Mingzhu watched him, thankful for whatever assistance he could give to Qiang in his battle with the Jorogumo.God's speed and blessings to you. She watched for a few more moments before going to Sebastian and Dakota.

What an odd young man, she thought.And why would anybody choose a hawk for night flying?

Qiang regarded the tunnel entrance in front of him, uncertain of how to proceed. He'd depleted no small amount of energy in the battle up to this point, and the Jorogumo had fed well from a dragon. A fledgling dragon, but a dragon nonetheless. He sighed.

He tried driving her out by burning the web down. The webbing closest to the flame smoldered and melted, but it wouldn't catch. He wasn't surprised. The energy of a water dragon helped build this web, a natural deterrent to fire. Starving her out was probably the safest move, but the least advised. Heaven only knows what else she might come up with using the hybrid magic she now carried. To his mind that left one move, direct confrontation on her territory. Qiang raised his head high and strode into the web.

12