The Perfect Pieces Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DreamCloud
DreamCloud
7,630 Followers

Lizzy insisted on helping wash the dishes. Amber sat back, smiling and watching as Lizzy and I washed the plates. Lizzy washed and I dried. She got herself as wet as any of the dishes, but I let it go. She was pleased with herself, and I didn't want to ruin it for her. Amber took Lizzy into the bedroom to change her shirt when we were done. I quickly wiped up the wet floor before they came back.

"I'm making a bee," Lizzy said, showing me the pattern. They had gone through my glass supply and found some yellow/gold glass and some almost black glass. It was from an old pattern I got when I first started. A cartoonish-looking bee with distinct yellow and black stripes. I guess they had spent some time picking it out. It wasn't horribly difficult, but the antenna might be a challenge for a newbie.

"Well it looks like you started it right," I said. They had duplicated the pattern in the copier and cut out the shapes.

"Mom cut out most of it," Lizzy said, "I'm doing the gluing." It was an abundance of glue. Nothing that would hurt the final product.

"I've never made a bee," I said truthfully, "a very unique choice. I can't wait to see how it turns out." I heard Amber sigh. I looked over and saw that smile. I connected the dots. Finishing the bee would require I didn't kick them out right away. I smiled back at her. No, I wasn't going to send them out into the night.

"I picked it out," Lizzy announced. I didn't know why I enjoyed the pride she felt. Maybe it was because it was stained glass. I liked sharing my art.

"Well, we should probably put it away for tonight," I said, "you can start again in the morning."

"Are we going to have dinner for breakfast?" Lizzy asked. That kid logic again.

"No," I laughed, "probably cereal." That seemed to agree with Lizzy.

Against Amber's objections, I gave her and Lizzy the bedroom and I was going to take the couch. Amber got Lizzy ready for bed while I stowed my .45 back in the file cabinet. I gathered some blankets and an extra pillow and put together the couch for an uncomfortable night. With all the driving I did, I would most likely not notice anyway.

Amber shut the door to the bedroom and joined me on my makeshift bed. "She's going to be asleep in just a minute," she said as if I would know.

"Why are you here?" I asked. I made sure it was a simple question. Not one fraught with accusation.

"I didn't know where else to go," Amber admitted. "Pablo is dead." That I didn't expect and it showed on my face. "I didn't have anything to do with it," she said when she misinterpreted my surprise. "Something went wrong with the cartel. He was in over his head and some of his people turned on him. I don't know the whole story, but I think Lizzy and I may be on the list." It didn't surprise me that Amber was on the list, but Lizzy was blameless. Those kids in the car flashed back in my mind. The screams still echoed.

"Does she know?" I asked.

"No," Amber replied, "Pablo was a worse father than I am a mother. She saw less of him than she saw of me." She paused for a moment. "Can you not hate me for a few days? At least until I figure out what to do."

"Anger and love are all mixed together right now," I replied honestly, "I'm not going to send you away." I smiled. "I kind of want to see what kind of bee Lizzy can build."

"She likes you," Amber said, leaning toward me. I leaned away which startled her a little.

"You knew I wouldn't throw you out," I said, nodding toward the bedroom, "I told you about those kids in Colombia, and you knew I couldn't put Lizzy at risk." Amber stared at me for a moment, assembling a measured response.

"Yes," she said quietly and dropped her eyes toward the floor. I wished I knew how to divide the acting from the real Amber. I so much wanted the lunch-on-the-river Amber.

"I wouldn't have thrown you out either way," I said, "I pray Lizzy isn't here just to convince me to help you."

"Lizzy is here, because her mother is here," Amber said looking up. "I won't deny I hoped you wanted to protect her. We don't have anyone else right now." She didn't understand me. Maybe she thought I was the actor. I took a deep breath and tried to explain.

"Do you remember our lunches on the river?" I asked. Her smile emerged and she nodded. Damn that smile. "I would jump in front of a bullet for that woman...Now I am not sure if I am being pushed into the bullet." Amber blanched. Her body retreated farther from mine as my mistrust washed through her.

"I'll make some calls tomorrow and I'll try to figure out how much trouble you two are in," I said, so she understood that my mistrust didn't lead to abandonment.

"No," Amber said quickly, "no one knows where we are. I can't have you risking more." After putting me out in the desert with Pablo, her concern seemed disingenuous.

"A few questions won't put us at risk," I countered.

"Please," Amber insisted, "just let us hide here for a while. Promise you won't do anything. You've done too much already." There was a thread of panic in her tone. I felt her pushing me out in front as the bullet approached.

"Okay," I lied, "no calls." She gave me a fake smile.

"I should check on Lizzy," Amber said and rose. Her movements were hesitant, almost like she wished to say more. Whatever it was, disappeared. She headed to the bedroom.

"Goodnight," I said softly. She paused and turned. That smile again.

"Goodnight," she returned. I watched her disappear behind the door. I wasn't sure what kind of insanity I was involved with this time. I only knew I would find out. There was no way I was acting blindly with that woman again. I quietly went for a walk outside and called Frank. He thought I was insane to help Amber again. I couldn't disagree. He would make the necessary inquiries and get back to me.

Continued...

DreamCloud
DreamCloud
7,630 Followers
12