The Phoenix Ch. 01

Story Info
The War Crazies.
5.8k words
4.57
24k
36

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 09/27/2022
Created 11/02/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hello!

Sorry I've been gone for so long. Y'all know how life goes. A special thanks to my super amazing editor. Feel Free to leave constructive feedback if you please. Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy it!

*

My toes are going numb.

Erin Wright stared down at her thin boots, soaked through by the snow. She wiggled her numbing toes, willing them back to life. She frowned at the creeping stiffness. She did the same with the fingers in her left hand. They were stiff as well, but for an entirely different reason.

My toes are going numb. And Morgan is late.

Erin sighed and looked over her shoulder at the motel. She squinted and flicked moisture off her glasses. The lights were off, except the flashing 'No Vacancies' sign.

Why did I even look back?

She knew there'd be no more rooms. She'd personally given up her room when Morgan called to promise her a ride home.

But now she's late and my toes are going numb.

Erin wrapped her arms around herself and sighed, annoyed. She pulled her cell phone from her pocket and sighed again at the lack of messages or calls. The temperature was dropping and she knew it was about to start snowing again.

I would get discharged in the winter. Just my fucking luck.

Erin tilted her head back and closed her eyes. She inhaled deeply through her nose, the cold air spiking her senses. She took deep breaths, calming her anger. In the midst of her meditation, a bright light disrupted her. Erin opened her eyes and saw Morgan's black Toyota Camry come cruising to a stop in front of her. She sighed once more before grabbing her duffle bag and hurrying into the car.

"I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry!" Morgan chanted the moment her sister opened the car door. "I was busy with Dannie and I completely lost track of time! I swear I'd planned to meet you here on time, I swear."

"Eh, don't sweat it. You were with your daughter. I can't complain about you taking care of my niece." Erin smiled and reached over to hug her driver.

The sisters held one another, clinging tight, eyes closed, drenched in relief.

"I missed you mini-me." Morgan whispered. She pulled back and eyed her younger sister, trying to hold back tears.

"I missed you too big-me. But none of that." Erin touched her sister's cheek, swiping away a falling tear.

"I'm here now. No longer on active duty as of 2 days ago. I'm here to stay Morgan. Ok? I'm not going anywhere."

"Yeah." Morgan held Erin's shoulders at arm's length, examining her, scrutinizing her. "And how are you taking that? Not going back and all?"

Erin pursed her lips into a tense smile. "I'm fine."

Morgan was tempted to press her about it, but decided not to. She hugged Erin to her one more time before pulling away and driving off. Erin rested her head on the passenger glass window and closed her eyes. She was asleep before any of the bad thoughts came creeping in.

--------------------------------------------------

"Slow down honey! There's plenty more where that came from." Morgan laughed.

Erin scarfed down the eggs and bacon, muting out Morgan's objections. She grabbed the syrup, slathering her pancakes, letting it drip onto the bacon. Morgan wrinkled her nose at her.

"What, didn't they feed you in the military?" Morgan asked jokingly.

Erin shook her head and swallowed. "Not like this. God damn, I missed your cooking. So fucking much." She forked more syrupy bacon and filled her mouth. She chuckled when Morgan wrinkled her nose again.

"You planning to get fat now that your home?"

"Yes. Definitely. Where's baby girl at?"

"Still sleeping. She wanted to wait up to greet her aunty but she was knocked out by the time we got here. She'll be up to see you soon."

Morgan waited and watched Erin eat. She wanted to reach out and touch her short hair, but refrained. Erin cleaned her plate and sat back, grateful.

"Ok Morgan. Lay it on me."

"What?" Morgan tilted her head.

"Whatever it is you're itching to talk to me about. What is it?"

Morgan looked down and played with her fingers. "Well um, Erin, honey, I was just wondering if you'd given any thought to what you wanted to do since you won't be going overseas anymore."

Erin frowned. "No. Why?"

"What do you mean why? Erin you're going to have to do something. You're only 25. You have so much of your life ahead of you."

"Not according to the United States Marines, I don't."

"Of course you do! Just because you're not serving anymore doesn't mean you can just sit down and die."

"I wish I had died." Erin mumbled under her breath.

"What?" asked Morgan.

"Nothing." Erin said back quietly. She copied her sister's habit, looking down at her entwined fingers before she spoke. "Look Morgan, if you don't have any room for me, I can go. I mean I'm not exactly broke and there are all these benefits I get since I'm now technically a 'veteran.' I could go if you want. You have a kid to look after all on your own. I would completely understand, since, well, you know."

"You will do no such thing!" Morgan said suddenly.

"I have waited 6 years to get my sister back. And now you here. Your safe and sound and that's all I've ever wanted."

The corners of Erin's mouth turned up. "Well I'm not exactly sound." She said, patting her right thigh, then the frame of her glasses.

"Whatever. Erin, I love you and I've missed you something fierce. I only ask about your future because I know how much being a marine meant to you and I'm worried about how you're going to be now."

"I'm not exactly sure yet, honestly." Erin said, shrugging. "I mean, it was my plan to be in the service for the rest of my life. Serve and rise in the ranks. But now that plan is shot to hell. I was hoping for some time to figure it out."

Morgan grabbed her hand.

"Take all the time you need mini-me. And until you're sure, you're staying here with me. No arguments. I've got plenty of room and I want you here. Dannie wants you here. I want to look after you, like a big sister should."

"Morgan you don't have to look after me. I'm fine. I'm not even in any pain."

"Well maybe not at this second. I'm going to take you to the vet hospital sometime this week for your leg and your eyes and arm. And then we are going to book your meetings with the psych guy."

Erin grimaced.

Morgan saw it and tightened her grip on Erin's hand. "You're going to see a doctor Erin. They said you have PTSD, along with all your other injuries. You HAVE to see a doctor."

Erin tried to pull her hand away, but Morgan refused to let go. "Erin, I'm not going to make you tell me everything. I'm not going to try and dissect all the bad shit you went through over there. But I also won't let you bottle it all up and end you hurting yourself because of it. The psych guys the military have are experts at helping people like you."

"People like me?" Erin smirked. "The war crazies?"

"No." Morgan said sharply. "The people who had to endure over and over and over again and need a little help getting back up from it. It's just a little help. That's all. Ok?"

Erin just nodded.

"Promise you'll try and cooperate with them? For me? I'll sleep better at night knowing that you're sleeping better at night too."

Erin looked at Morgan saw a world of worry in her sister's eyes. She bit her lip, the guilt crawling in her throat.

"Ok. I'll get the help."

Morgan sighed contently and patted the back of Erin's hand before letting go. It was something Morgan had picked up from their mother. Erin touched the back of her hand fondly.

Morgan got up, grabbed Erin's plate and went into the kitchen. "Still hungry?" She called out.

Erin rubbed her hand again and looked up. "Fuck yeah!"

Just then, a high pitch squeal caught their attention. 9-year-old Dannie Wright came barreling down the stairs.

"Aunty Erin!" She screamed as she launched her

small body into Erin's open arms.

"Dannie girl!" Erin screamed back. She squeezed the little frame closer herself, relishing in the feel of her niece's arms around her neck.

"I missed you aunty! When did you get back! Are you ok? How long are you staying? Did you miss me? Did you miss mommy? What was it like? I really really missed you!"

Erin delighted in the little girl's multitude of questions. "Of course I missed you. I got back last night. I am perfectly fine sweetheart. I'm staying forever. I super-duper missed you. I super-duper missed your mom. It was bad but it's fine now and I really really missed you too!" Erin hugged Dannie again, closing her eyes, appreciating every second of it. She stroked Dannie's soft black curls and felt her breath on her ear. She pulled back and looked at the girl up and down, smiling at her Dora the Explorer pjs.

"And my have you grown! What grade are you in now?"

Dannie held up 4 fingers. "Fourth grade!"

"Really!" Erin acted taken aback. "Well my my my aren't you just a grown up little miss."

Morgan walked over then and set two full plates in front of Dannie and Erin. She bent down and kissed the top of her daughter's head.

"You came back just in time mini-me. You'll get to see little Dannie here in the upcoming Christmas play at school. Dannie's going to be the star of the show!"

"Mooommmm," Dannie groaned playfully, "I'm not the star. I'm just the narrator."

Morgan sat down across from her daughter. "But tell aunty Erin what your teacher said. Why you get a costume and everything."

Dannie blushed, her light brown cheeks pinking. "Mr. Evans says I have a big personality and that I'm chara-hara-"

"Charismatic." Morgan helped.

"Yeah! Charismatic! So I get to be the angel that tells the story. Do you think you could come watch me aunty?"

Erin looked up, tapping her chin with her finger.

"Hhhmmm. I don't know. When is it?"

Dannie looked up at her aunt, her eye turning into big brown saucers. "In 2 weeks. Right before Christmas break. Please aunty! You have to come!"

"Of course I'm coming baby girl! I wouldn't miss it for the world!"

Dannie clapped in delight. She finally the noticed the food in front of her and began stuffing her face like her aunt had. Morgan shook her head.

"Slow down honey."

Dannie ignored her. Erin laughed and Morgan frowned at her before laughing too. Dannie swallowed and looked back at Erin. She frowned and poked a finger at her. "You're wearing glasses! You didn't have glasses last time. Are they new? When did you get them? Are you blind or something?"

"Hush now Dannie! Don't be rude." Morgan scolded her.

"No. It's ok big-me." Erin said before turning her attention back to Dannie.

"Yes the glasses are new. I got them 2 weeks ago. I'm not blind but I got hit really hard on the head while I was away and now I can't see as well as I used to."

"Was that when they blew you up aunty?"

Morgan was about to reprimand Dannie again, but Erin held up her hand.

"Yes honey. But they didn't blow me up. They tried and missed."

"The bad guys?" Dannie asked between a bite of bacon.

"Yeah, uh, the bad guys."

"I remember. Me and mommy were really worried about you. Mommy said you got hurt real bad but that God would take care of you and you would come home. And here you are!" Dannie chirped.

Erin sighed inwardly. "Yup. Here I am."

"Well I think the glasses look nice on you." Dannie complimented.

Erin stroked her hair and smiled. "Thank you sweet heart."

"Well I disagree." Morgan piped in. "Those frames do nothing for your face."

"What would you suggest?" Erin asked.

"Black vintage frames!"

Erin frowned again. "Those hipster lookin' ones? Why those?"

"You have a sweet round face. They would look cute on you! And make you look younger."

"Yeah!" Dannie agreed. "Those would look super awesome! You should get bright red ones! Or blue ones. Or purple ones! Or orange ones! Or green ones!"

Erin laughed. "Those are kind of expensive aren't they?"

"Yeah, but I got it. Call it an early Christmas gift. These loaner glasses have got to go. Since you refuse to wear contacts, some chic shades would do you good."

"Ok then." Erin submitted. "I'll get 'em. But only black ones. I don't wanna look too young. People will think I belong in school with Dannie."

The little girl shot her a look, which made her mother laugh. "What's wrong with my school? I have friends and a Christmas play and a pretty man-teacher."

Erin shot a sly grin at Morgan. "A pretty man teacher?"

"Yeah! Mr. Evans. Mommy says he's got a nice face. Like a pretty man." Dannie giggled.

Erin gave her sister an accusatory look.

Morgan held her hands up, palms out, in defense.

"What? I couldn't help it. Her teacher does have a nice face. He has a nice everything."

Dannie groaned dramatically. "Mommy! That's so weird!"

The adult women laughed.

"Ok honey. No more pretty Mr. Evans talk."

--------------------------------------------------

Wyatt Evans held the cigarette in front of his face, frowning at it.

"I will NOT smoke you." he grumbled. He moved the cigarette between his fingers before returning it into his desk drawer. The kids would be back from recess soon and he didn't want them to see it. He stretched his long body in his chair, leaning back to stare at the colorful paper lanterns hanging from the ceiling. He smiled, remembering the fuss it took to teach the squirmy 9 year olds how to make the lanterns. But they turned out great. Each little lantern presented the children, who they were as individuals and what they love. He glanced over at the light green, dark green, and brown lantern and his smile faltered a bit. The lantern belonged to Dannie Wright. He remembered the day she'd made hers.

Everyone one else had finished their lanterns and gone to lunch. Wyatt had asked Dannie to stay behind, since she'd spent the time just staring down at her paper, looking like she was on the edge of tears all morning. And now, with everyone else gone, she let loose. Wyatt had walked over and knelt down at the next to her.

"Hey little D. Why are you crying?" Wyatt had asked the sniffling girl.

"Because my aunty got blown up." She'd whispered.

Wyatt had been taken aback, not sure how to react to that answer. He had expected her to say she lost a favorite toy or something. Not this.

"What do you mean your aunt was blown up honey?" he asked softly.

"My mommy told me my aunty got blown up in Iraq. Mommy was crying on the phone this morning. I'm scared Mr. Evans." Dannie let loose big fat tears that ran down her light brown cheeks. She wiped her nose on her sleeve. Wyatt got her a tissue and gave her a comforting pat on the back. It all clicked into place. Her sadness was understandable.

"It's going to be ok sweetheart. I can't say for sure how ok your aunt is, but I can bet she was probably thinking of you and wishing she was here with you."

More tears bloomed in Dannie's eyes. Wyatt bit his lip, regretting his words.

"I have an idea, if you're willing."

Dannie looked at him, blowing her nose and sniffling some more.

"How about you make a lantern for your aunt." Wyatt suggested. "I bet she'd love it."

Dannie looked down at the sheets of paper on her desk and frowned. "What should I draw?"

"What's something that reminds you of your aunt?"

Dannie thought for a second. "Camelot!"

Wyatt tilted his head to the left, confused again.

"Camelot? Like knights of the round table?"

Dannie looked confused too. "What? No. the green and black colors for the army. Camelot."

"Oh sweetheart, you mean camouflage. But that's a great idea!"

Wyatt got the color pencils and helped Dannie color the different shades of brown and green.

"It's awesome!" Wyatt exclaimed once they were finished.

Dannie giggled. "Do you think my aunty will like it?"

"I bet she'll love it. Maybe you could show it too her one day"

"I hope so."

Now Wyatt stared at lantern. He worried about Dannie. Up until today, she was a quiet, withdrawn child. She never spoke up and Wyatt couldn't say whether or not she had friends. But today, Dannie came to class a whole new girl, giggling and talking and interacting well with the other kids. Wyatt had even had to reprimand her for talking while he was.

The school bell rang, shaking Wyatt form his thoughts. He stood up and prepared the board for the kids. The jumpy 9 years came filing in, hanging up their coats and laughing loudly. Wyatt spotted Dannie with 2 other girls. She was hanging up her jacket dramatically, pretending to be an opera singer, from what it looked like. Wyatt smiled.

"Ok everyone, let's settle down. These math problems aren't going to divide themselves!"

--------------------------------------------------

"Dannie, is your mom coming to get you?" Wyatt asked.

The school day was over and Dannie was the last child still in the classroom. Wyatt's 4th grade classroom faced the drop off/pick up zone. Dannie was standing by the window looking out.

"No. She had an appointment today in her office. My aunty is coming to get me."

Wyatt walked over to her. "Your aunty? The one that got blown up?"

Dannie nodded enthusiastically. "Yea! She's all better now! Except now she has to wear glasses. But it's ok cause the army says she doesn't have to go back. She got a special medal and everything!"

Wyatt nodded, understanding. He was looking at Dannie and didn't notice the car pull up or the woman who shot from it and into the school.

Moments later, the woman came flying into the classroom, panting hard and almost falling over one the desk.

"Aunty! There you are!" Dannie squealed and ran to Erin. Erin knelt down to hug her, still trying to catch her breath.

"I am so sorry baby girl. I got super lost trying to find your school." She said as she hugged Dannie apologetically. She pulled back and inspected her niece, making sure she was ok.

"It's alright aunty. Mr. Evans stayed with me."

Dannie said and pointed behind her.

Erin stood up and finally noticed Wyatt then, who was staring at her. Her mind immediately evaluated him.

6'1. Caucasian. Dark brown hair. Light green eyes. Athletic build. Mid to late twenties. Cute nose.

Erin looked away suddenly.

Cute nose? What the hell?

She stood up and pretended to dust off her knees. She could practically feel his gaze on her and it bothered her. When she looked back up, he was walking towards her. She forced herself not to swallow and keep his gaze.

Full pink lips.

Stop.

Once he reached them, Dannie's teacher extended his hand. His skin looked smooth, except the palm, which had a rougher wear and his nails were clean. He had big hands and when Erin extended her own, she could have sworn his hand engulfed hers.

"Hello. My name is Wyatt Evans."

"Erin Wright." She said curtly.

"Nice to see you're in one piece."

Erin frowned.

"Oh," Wyatt blushed, trying to explain. "Um Dannie told me about the... explosion... um and yeah it's good that you seem intact. She was very worried. "

Erin looked down at Dannie and patted her soft curly hair. "Yeah I'm ok."

"I'm glad."

Wyatt was nervous and it was written across his face. Erin sensed it and made her frown inside. She realized then that she hadn't let go of his hand. She pulled it away quickly.

"So you're Dannie's teacher. I've heard good things." Erin said, trying to keep her eyes focused on his. He was wearing a crisp white shirt with a skinny black tie and dark pants. His starring had created and awkward air between them.

"Likewise. Dannie's a good kid." Wyatt said and smiled down at Dannie. She blushed and looked away.

"Yeah she's the best. I'm glad I could come back to her."

Erin felt like the air was slowly compressing around her.

The pause between them was thick and heavy. Neither Wyatt nor Erin said a word, both trying to find a way to engage. But the silence seemed to be enough.

12