The Preacher Man

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"No. I've only been stationed here for a few months." There was more silence. I realized that even with permission to speak freely, Abigail was going out on a limb to initiate a topic of conversation. "Continue."

I felt her nod. "It was a huge fire, on the western edge of the city. Several areas of the girl monastery dorms got involved. My wing was safe, but both our escape routes were blocked. The escape routes of the adjoining wing were also blocked..."

I felt her tremble and gasp in my arms, and then she whispered, "I heard them scream. I heard all my friends scream as they burned, and then they were gone..." She sighed. "I had nightmares for weeks, bad ones. So bad I was almost culled for my inability to adjust."

I tried to comfort her. I stroked the side of her hip, from her waist to her thigh, and whispered back, "Childhood fears..."

"Yes!" she hissed. "They shape us, become us, cause us to fail! Sire, I deeply apologize!"

"Abigail, there's absolutely nothing to forgive." There was another long moment of silence. "Continue to speak freely, about anything you want."

She nodded. "What do you think our chances are sire?"

"To survive from here? Excellent. This last door still had power when I used my card. Data and power flow on the same line. There's a record of my entry in the Security logs, and Tamir is not one to miss a thing like that."

"Tamir? The Security Commander?! You speak of him as a friend sire!"

"He is my friend."

She gasped. "The third Security Commander! I've heard rumors one was at Qataban."

I laughed. "That's right. Not what you were expecting, am I?" I felt her tremble in my arms, and my laughter turned to shame. "Abigail, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to frighten you."

I felt her tense, even more than before, and realized my apology had turned her fear into astonishment. I sighed and tried to change the subject. "Any idea what caused the explosion?"

"I know a little sire. I was in one of the archives, the section on the fourth millennium, when I heard the snap-hiss-snap of a power coupling reset."

"What?! Was maintenance being done on the power grid?"

I felt Abigail shake her head in the darkness. "At night sire? Certainly not scheduled, and there were no emergency sirens. I feared a network problem sire, a bad remote controller tripping and resetting a power coupling. That's very dangerous! We have industrial gas lines running here! I was running to report the problem when... when the world exploded."

I nodded, thinking about the remarkable coincidence of the street exploding beneath me a few days after I discovered a secret organization. "How many people were with you?"

"In the archive sire? I was alone."

"You were alone in an archive?! Isn't that illegal?"

"I have a special permit sire," Abigail replied, and then, with a bit of pride, "My class is zero point nine."

I blinked in surprise. Abigail had just told me she was in the top ten of all the women approaching their marriage gate this year, a number probably about 282,000. She was being raised to be a wife of royalty. Or at least had been until now, I realized with dismay. As far as The Book of Bel'dar was concerned, I being with her like this would be considered the ruin of her virginity. Surely Abigail must know this too I thought, yet she was relaxed in my arms. Had she accepted her fate so easily?

It puzzled me as a child, being taught that the Holy's dual purposes for women were for them to bear children and to be eternal virginal slaves for their husbands. I almost laughed at the contradiction, but that of course would have been my last laugh.

It wasn't until the following year that I saw the pure evil, saw the monstrous perspective of The Book of Bel'dar that virginity is a state of mind and memory. I made my secret decision at that moment that I would someday ride the Asad for as far as the Lion would take me, no matter what the cost.

There are about 500,000 human pregnancies per year in the world. About 120,000 boys and 360,000 girls will reach six months of age, and about 78,000 boys and 282,000 girls will reach adulthood. There are no specific culling gates for the girls, just the usual culling for behavior and heresy, and their survival chances for reaching adulthood is much greater than the boys, 78% versus 65%.

The last time I looked at the census numbers, there were about 12,750,000 adult women in the world, an average of about 3.6 wives per husband. With the anti-aging drugs, prime female fertility occurs between 21 and 70 years of age, and 5% of the ten million women in this age group become pregnant each year. After age 70, women enter a lottery for the anti-aging drugs that is somewhat more generous than the one for males. Most women who reach seventy will survive until their mid nineties, but there's rapid culling after that. I believe the oldest woman currently alive is 104.

There are no advancements in rank possible for adult women. With the priesthood enforcing their sick definition of female virginity, that would be impossible. But there is a classification system for the girls running upward from 0.0 to 0.9, each level one third the size of the level below it. For all the girls entering their 21'st year (their marriage gate year), there will be about 189,000 at level 0.0, 63,000 at level 0.1, 21,000 at level 0.2, and so on, up to about 10 at level 0.9.

I realized Abigail had demonstrated herself to be one of the most talented women on the planet, reserved for marriage solely to Royalty or Upper Commanders (CL-12 and above). And now I had contaminated her. As a CL-11, I would not be allowed to marry her myself, and no one else would want her. It was hard for me to tell whether she realized it yet, but she was about to be culled, probably within days, and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it.

I hugged her to me and sighed. "What is your area of specialty? Music?" Women initiates of level 0.9 receive years of advanced training, most commonly in the musical arts.

Abigail shook her head. "No sire. History."

"Huh?"

"I am a student of history. Even as a young girl, it was my passion and my love. I can look for patterns, find new causes and meaning in historical events. I have a special permit from the Priesthood to study the non-restricted archives. That's why I was in the library so late. I spend all my free time there. My goal is to help the future political career of my husband, add historical insight to the problems he might face. I want to learn as much as I can before my marriage, when my virginity will be sealed and..." Abigail took a huge breath and let out a long sigh, saying no more.

She didn't have to. I knew the horror before her, although I have yet to meet a male who seems to recognize that a monster lives among us. If Abigail did manage to survive this night with me and be married, further learning for her would be physically impossible.

The vault was tomblike, so quiet. As the time wore on, I gently tugged at Abigail, offering that she lie partially on me. She gratefully accepted, completely leaving the cold metal floor that was robbing her of her heat. I held her in both my arms to keep her from rolling off. Soon her soft hair was all over my lower face and neck. Her hair, so soft! It tickled my throat.

She rested her head on my chest and became still. Her body, so different than mine, so beautiful, such a wonder of contradiction, so full of strength and softness, both at the same time. How is that possible?

I felt her breathing turn slow and steady, and all tension drained from her body. I was amazed she could find such peace with me, enough to fall asleep. My own mind was full of turmoil. I pondered my emotions for her for hours, in the quiet blackness of the vault. And then I heard the hiss of the vault door unsealing.

Chapter 8. The Quality of Mercy

Time: October 23, 8235 10:37 AM

After spending four hours in morning prayers with some visiting Royalty who had come for the occasion, I hurried off to the nuptial wing of Jizari's central cathedral. My time in the wing was a stark contrast to the friendliness of the Royalty, so many of whom seemed eager to be my friend. The nuptial procedure itself was all business, and very dry, as was the specially trained Priest who performed the marriage.

"As you can see," commented the Nikahaldi, "There is some damage to the left foot. You'll have to key in your approval that this is acceptable."

My master ID card was already inserted and active in the consoles. I typed in my additional approval as requested. As I waited for the next step, my eyes went to the large monitor on my right.

And there she was, Abigail! Standing as required, and dressed in a simple burqa that was pulled back and tied to the back of her left leg to show her cast. There was also the required marriage hood above the burqa, preventing her from seeing anything.

I hadn't seen Abigail since we left the vault at Qataban. She didn't even know for sure whom she was marrying, though I was hoping she could guess. My heart was singing with the expectation of having her see me again!

A number of unexpected pages of text showed up on the Nikahaldi's monitors. There were several blocks of bold red lettering. "What is this?!" he muttered, looking totally flummoxed. He spent several minutes reading. "Sir, this woman has been defiled!"

"Yes, I know."

"And you still want her as a wife?!"

"Yes."

"I don't understand! I didn't even know such a thing was possible!"

I sighed. "I was the one who defiled her. I've been over the legality of this several times with Royalty. As the one who defiled her, it is permissible for me to marry her. The difference is she can be a virgin only to me. She has to be culled if I die. It's all there on your screen. I have several Royal friends who were with me in morning prayers today. Would you like to talk to them about this?"

"Oh no sir! That won't be necessary!" The Nikahaldi typed in his approval codes and the marriage registration program moved onto the next phase. He nodded in approval as he scanned through the medical logs. "Eternal virginity injections were completed during your four hours of morning prayers sir, full spectrum as required. If you have any problems sir, report them immediately."

"Should I expect any?"

The Nikahaldi Priest laughed. "I'm required by law to say that! There hasn't been a problem in seven thousand years. These injections work!" He continued to type as his console.

I nodded and then looked back to the monitor of Abigail, not trusting myself to make a verbal comment. Fateen was right, I thought. My discipline does serve me well, well enough to hide a disgust that was without boundary.

"I'm ready for you to key in your final approval sir." The Priest then laughed again. "Last chance to change your mind! It's the easy road out sir. With her flags, divorcing her would tie you up with an execution council for a month!"

"Keying it in now..."

"Confirmed. I'm keying in my final clearance... Congratulations sir! You have married! I hope you have many years of good use from her!"

It was a traditional blessing. I gave the traditional reply. "Thank you Nikahaldi, for a fine marriage ceremony. I hope so too."

I withdrew my ID card from the console and was now permitted to meet my bride. I walked a short path of corridors and stepped into her holding pen.

She stood trembling under her burqa and hood. I could only imagine her turmoil, and her courage, willingly submitting to the four hours of the evil injections that had sealed her virginity. I stood before her as her legal husband, wondering and hoping that she would also accept me as the husband of her heart. I reached up and released her both her hood and burqa veil.

Her eyes met mine, and her face burst with a smile of happiness. I nodded for her to follow me. She nodded and veiled herself, head and leg, making herself legal to walk in public. Then she picked up her crutches and followed me out of the cathedral.

My home, the world's central Security complex was adjacent to the cathedral. Grateful Abigail did not have far to walk with her crutches, we made our way to my temporary quarters, a fine private bedroom of almost thirty square meters. Abigail seemed stunned by the beauty of the countryside outside the bay windows.

I nodded as she smiled at me. "The countryside here is river valleys crossing in an east-west direction. I know, it's very beautiful."

She nodded and then saw her marriage book upon the bed. It contained a description of me and all the rules and regulations I wanted in our marriage. I was free to edit the book as I saw fit, and Abigail's normal duty would be to read the book just after waking each day. She glanced at me for permission and I nodded again. She sat on the bed and was soon eagerly reading the book.

I walked to the window and watched the scenery for a while, and then sat in a chair near her and waited.

She looked up at me and raised her eyebrows at me playfully. "This is so generous Ilias! Complete familiarity when we're alone! From my heart, thank you!"

I smiled back. "You must have so many questions! Please ask!"

Abigail nodded. "The book explained much. You are a CL-12 now, still riding the Asad. And we are flying to Jericho?! So soon?"

"Yes, very soon, shortly before evening prayers, in the same ramjet that brought you here. I'll be the Security station commander there."

Abigail nodded in approval. "I will support you husband, with every fiber of my being!" She then gave me a shy smile and looked at the clock. It was after 11 AM. "The first purge cycle of my virginity injections will kick in very soon, probably within a few minutes. I'm going to be deeply asleep for four hours."

I nodded kindly. "Yes, I know. I will hold you as you sleep."

Abigail nodded back. "Thank you Ilias. You are so sweet to me, sweet and kind. Ilias... Do you want my virginity now?"

"Uh... Perhaps when you wake up?"

"Thank you again! I've received so much training on how to please you! I'd hate to have you excited and then have me forced into sleep by the cycle. I promise, my heart is set on pleasing you!" She paused for a moment, looking a little sleepy. "Ilias?"

"Yes?"

"I do have a question. How were you ever able to stop my execution?"

"Ah, that was Ammar's doing."

Abigail frowned, blinking her eyes awake, and then gave a small gasp. "The mayor of Qataban?!"

I laughed. "Yes! But he is an amazingly humble person. He prefers his Guild title of station commander."

"Yes, I've heard that. But what could he do? Execution decisions are controlled entirely by the Priesthood."

Abigail yawned and suddenly looked very drowsy. I got up and came to her side. In a moment we were both lying down on the bed. My fingers came up and caressed her face for the first time. "Comfortable?"

Abigail sighed. "Extremely. Ilias, I'm so happy you are... my husband," she yawned again.

I gently kissed her. "Since Qataban is Ammar's Guild's home town, he had some influence in the civic resources needed for an execution. One novel delay after another! He is my good friend, and I am so grateful for his help."

Abigail nodded sleepily. "And I owe him my life. Perhaps if you would be so kind, to make a note of this... in my marriage book... Stay with me Ilias... Hold me..." Her eyes fell shut and she was deeply asleep in moments.

I did stay with her, holding her and crying and praying silently. Oh Abigail, flower of my heart! I didn't want to tell you now. I don't know if this will work! I couldn't bear to give you false hope! Please, please, good and true Holy, so hidden from my world, let my acts of treason be enough... Let them stand against the evil. I lay with my wife and prayed for four hours...

Abigail's eyes blinked open. She turned her head and saw me looking at her and trembling. She began to smile back, and then inhaled a huge choking gasp.

"Abigail! Are you all right?"

"I..." She looked at me with wild, frightened eyes and seemed to struggle with what to say. She finally decided. "Sorry! I remember going into the nuptial cathedral for my injections. Nothing after that!"

"You don't remember coming here with me?"

"No, of course not! Oh!!!" she whispered and wailed.

My heart was bursting with joy. I didn't believe her! "Abigail! It's all right! It's okay for you to remember!"

She looked wildly unhappy, sitting up and grabbing her marriage book. She began flipping through the pages in a very determined manner. "It says I may call you Ilias and be informal, whenever I want... Oh!!!" She bent her head and burst into tears.

I repeated my whisper. "Abigail! It's all right! It's okay for you to remember!"

She looked at me trembling. She shook her head and whispered back, "How can you say that?! No it's not!"

"Abigail, I forgive you! I utterly forgive you! I would try to hide it too. But you do remember, don't you? Please say yes. You do remember, don't you?"

Abigail sat there trembling for a moment, and then agreed with a small nod of her head.

I hugged her, holding her in my arms as we lay. I cried in a whispering voice, "My wife! I've saved you!"

Abigail cried with me, looking distraught and confused. "I don't understand. What did you do? How is this possible?"

"The virginity drugs, I've been working on this for years, ever since I was a boy, ever since I understood what the drugs do. I've spent years in study at night. And as a CL-12 Security commander, I have access to the logs. Who watches the watchers? It has to end somewhere! Oh Abigail, I've saved you!"

"Saved me? Ilias!" she whispered. "What did you do?"

"There are only two key injections in the process. All the others are for preparations and cleaning and forcing the first sleep cycle. The saline solutions clear the lines, and the preparation drugs eliminate your brain's ability to resist the virginity drugs. I reprogrammed the injection cycle. The two key injections were flushed into sewage, and you got two extra saline solutions instead. The inventory balances, and the report logs are all confirming something that never happened. I did it! Abigail, my wife! I did it!"

"My life!" Abigail whispered as she cried. "My life! Ilias! This is the second time you've risked your life to save mine!" She looked at me with such adoration that I became embarrassed.

There really wasn't much time to discuss what our future would be like. Our jet to North America was leaving in less than two hours. We had a few minutes to laugh and cry and hold each other, and then we departed for the airport.

Virginity is a state of mind, and therefore a state of memory. Thus the Book of Bel'dar proclaims. It was the first lesson taught in my sex education class as a boy. I looked at Abigail as we made our way through the complex. With her study of history, she might know so much, about how such an evil philosophy ever was born. And one must understand one's enemy before it can be defeated.

The Book of Bel'dar is also very clear on this, that a woman's purpose is to serve a man. From the limited ancient history available to me, I knew that this attitude was there from the very beginning, and some of the oldest texts suggest even before the beginning, from before the War of the Burning Metals. Defilement was called rape and was used to degrade, was used as a weapon of war and of control. And the religion prized the virginity, and sought to capture it forever. Abigail is a student of history. There is so much she can teach me!

The virginity drugs totally and forever block the creation of long-term memories. Each day seems normal, but nothing is remembered across a sleep cycle. At each morning, all the adult women on Earth awake with the memory of their nuptial injections as the last thing they can remember. They reach for their marriage book to learn who their husband currently is, what year it is, how old they are, and what is expected of them. They train hard at this for years as girls, frantically storing up the skills that they will need for their lifetimes, since no further learning is possible after their wedding day. Each day becomes an isolated trip in time, further and further into their future until they die. It is a fearsome evil and it will not stand, I swear it!

1...34567...46