The President's Son Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DWSimon
DWSimon
1,916 Followers

Standing and absently thanking the other secret serviceman, James tore open the envelope. Reading it quickly, Alec stood over his shoulder, waiting. "I'm to report to the Admiral's office first thing."

"I'll come with you."

Smiling, James shook his head. "You don't have to."

"I'm heading over to the laundry anyway."

"Why?" James asked.

"Yeoman Thomas has appendicitis. He'll be recovering when we get underway. I'm interviewing his replacement."

James rolled his eyes. "Alec, no one interviews for that position."

Alec chuckled. "I know. But I love fucking with them." He clapped James on the back. "When you're done with the brass, head on over. It'll be fun."

James smiled and shook his head. "Okay, I'll meet you over there. Hell, we have a lot of work to do before we get underway."

The two men left in a jeep with the Secret Service driving. They made it to Admiral Benson's office and Alec walked over towards the laundry building. James walked up the stairs and stood outside the Admiral's office, waiting for permission to enter. Stealing himself for what could be a major battle, James didn't have to wait long.

Once inside the office, James stood at attention, saluting the Admiral. "At ease, Captain."

James relaxed his stance and waited for the Admiral to speak. "This is a hell of a mess, McNeely."

"Yes, sir."

The Admiral sized up the Captain. He'd read his file cover to cover the previous night. The man was a good sailor, honest, hardworking, and true. Such a stupid little thing to ruin a career. "I'll be brief. You are in violation of the rules of military conduct." He waited for an answer from the Captain, but none came. "Don't you have anything to say?"

"No, sir. I agree. I am in violation."

Nodding his head, the Admiral admitted that he expected no less from the man standing before him. "The reports have been filed and are under review with the Pentagon. The final decision will be made by the Secretary of Defense."

"Yes, sir. I understand." James stood there, watching his career wash down the drain. Unless the Secretary of Defense found James to have a useful and singular skill, he was out. He knew it. He could even accept it.

"As of this moment, Captain, you are still on active duty. Your ship will sail on Friday. If a decision is made while on duty, at the next port of call, you will be relieved of said duty." Wanting to test the man's mettle, the Admiral continued. "Considering who your father is, I doubt if it will ever happen."

James seethed under the comment, but kept stoic. The anger built as the Admiral continued. "Hell, getting into the Naval Academy must have been a snap. No one would turn down the son of the future President."

Admiral Benson continued to stare at the Captain. If it hadn't been for the eyes, he wouldn't have believed the man was affected at all by what he'd said. But the eyes, they seethed with fury at his words. The next few minutes would prove very interesting indeed. "Anything you care to add, Captain?"

"Permission to speak freely, sir?"

"Granted."

James schooled his mouth. He was beyond furious at the high-handed, holier-than-thou attitude. But he kept it in check, barely. "Sir. I have never, ever asked my father for a thing. My application to the Academy was done in secret. I found a sponsor outside my father's political friends. Never once have I gotten special treatment. I won't ask for it now, either."

Admiral Benson sat back in his chair, staring at the Captain before him. The boy had style. He was a true sailor. He would have felt shame over his dismissal of his abilities and thoughts on nepotism, but it wasn't in him to do so. "Is that all, Captain?"

"Yes, Sir!"

"Good. Now listen up. I know your father hasn't done a thing for you. If he had, you'd be jockeying a desk at the Pentagon or White House right now." Watching as James McNeely's face registered shock, the Admiral continued. "I've given you a hard time. I won't apologize for it. This is a stupid rule, Captain, and I'll deny that I ever said that. This is a piss poor way to drum out a good sailor, when it takes three times as much to get out a green recruit that should never have signed up in the first place."

James stood, feeling shame for what he'd said. "Thank you, sir."

"I understand what you're up against, Captain. It wasn't that long ago when a black man could do nothing more than wash dishes or cook in this Navy. The times will change, but probably not before your career is over."

"Thank you, Admiral."

Nodding at the man before him, Admiral Benson nodded his head. "Return to duties, Captain."

James left the office, but stood outside the door, his mind reeling, his hands shaking. Hurdle one had been cleared. James left the building and walked over to the laundry facility, his two shadows in tow. When he got inside, the laundry was devoid of people except a sweaty, red-faced kid and Alec. James chuckled, recognizing the drill the yeoman was going through. The yeoman had a basket of sheets to fold, run across the length of the building to Alec, have them inspected, then run back to the table and stack them. A completely pointless exercise, but one which had been used from time to time.

Walking up to Alec, James shook his head at his Lieutenant then said, "Well, how's the new Yeoman working out?"

"He'll do. I guess." Alec grinned at James then dismissed the kid. Before he could leave, James shook the boy's hand. "Welcome to the Baton Rouge, Yeoman."

"Thank you Captain."

When he left, James couldn't contain his laughter any longer. "Damn, Alec. What was his time?"

"Eighteen minutes, twelve seconds."

Nodding at the numbers. "I'm impressed. That's almost record breaking."

Alec chuckled. "I know. I love messing with them though."

"I know. Come on, let's go check out the ship."

As James and Alec turned, he heard a commotion behind him and saw Jason grab for his gun before he heard two gunshots. Flattening himself on the ground, James stared into Jason's eyes as they went glassy with death. Reaching out for his fallen gun, James spun on his back and shot one of the three men in black clothes that were stepping out of the large laundry bins. The man James hit fell down, dead before he hit the ground, when James turned to aim at the next man. He stopped cold when he saw Alec with a gun pressed to his temple, being held in place by one of the men. "Put the gun down, Captain."

Finding no other option, James lowered the gun to the ground. "Scoot that over here." James followed orders and pushed the gun, barrel first towards the gunmen. "Good. Very good, Captain."

James watched as a white cloth was brought up against Alec's mouth before Alec sank to the ground. "What the fuck do you want?"

The two remaining gunmen walked towards him, guns aimed at his chest. "Only you, Captain. Stand up please." He complied, looking for a way out, perhaps a tackle, but there was no escape. "Turn around Captain."

James felt the cold metal of the gun barrel press into the back of his head. He smelled the sickening smell of copper as the cloth covered his face and blackness descended. He wasn't even aware of hitting the floor.

DWSimon
DWSimon
1,916 Followers