The Prince's Consort Ch. 04

Story Info
Caitlin goes to the city with Kalen.
7.5k words
4.55
18.1k
19
5

Part 4 of the 11 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 07/24/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After several days, she began to feel better. Marianne brought her books to read while she recovered. Caitlin wanted to be nicer to the woman who'd provided for her and began inquiring about her life. "Where did you grow up?" She asked, taking a bite of bread.

Marianne appeared surprised at the question, "Well... I grew up in a place called Rudd. Was about how it sounded, so I left for school. Met a guy, had twin boys far too young. He left me when I refused to void the pregnancy. So, I did what I had to make sure their needs were met."

"All on your own?" Caitlin's own mother had to raise her without a husband but had the town to rely on. She hadn't been truly alone.

"Yep," Marianne set a cup of tea on the nightstand, "but they grew up well enough. One's going to school to be a nurse, the other wants to be a lawyer."

She took another bite, nodding.

Marianne smiled, "Would you like me to get you more stationery?"

"Yes, please." Caitlin said with her mouth full. She swallowed, "Thank you. For everything... really..."

The servant was about to leave when she turned back around, "You're welcome." She departed with a genuine smile.

There was no window in the large bedroom, as they were probably underground. But based on the last few days, she expected the Prince to make an appearance soon.

Caitlin felt strong enough to rise from the bed, she'd been working on her strength so she could explore the new room. It was different than hers, less feminine in design. A desk sat on the far wall, giving her the same conveniences of her double room, sans fireplace.

To her great surprise, the bedroom door wasn't locked. She moved gingerly into the suite, touching decorations as she passed. A golden cherub, a bell clap, twin candelabras made of solid silver. An adjoining room held a grand piano, nothing like the small brown harpsicord she grew up around. She marveled at the pristine white keys, touching one.

The sound that arose was full and clean. Perfectly tuned.

"It was my grandmother's." Kalen watched her from the archway.

"It's beautiful. Wish I knew how to play." Her fingers danced along the keys, touching the staggered black ones without depressing them.

"That can be arranged," he moved towards her, placing his hand on the small of her back. "Your color has returned."

Caitlin's face reddened at his touch.

"In a few days, I'll depart for the city. You'll join me?"

"Do I get a say?" She glanced up at him.

"Yes. But if you stay, you'll swear to take care of yourself."

The prospect of leaving the mansion appealed very much to her, "I'll come with you. Will Marianne come too?"

He chuckled, "If she is up for travel, I don't see why not."

She nodded, "Where will we stay?"

"The crown owns a building suited to my needs. We'll stay there, and in the evening, I'll show you around the city. You've never been, correct?"

"Correct," she admitted, "I've never been outside my hometown until... well." She didn't need to say more.

"It's a pity, but we'll remedy that." Kalen nodded curtly. He drew her by the hand into himself, holding her gently, but firmly. She didn't protest, "I still cannot stop thinking about you." He brushed his fingers against her cheek.

"And I, you, no matter how much I try." She reciprocated, linking an arm around his neck, and standing on her toes to reach him.

He leaned in with a gentle kiss, more so, even than their first.

Kalen was being cautious, she sensed. She sighed into the kiss, tasting only the sweet scent of his breath. Her pulse mounted as he explored her with hands and tongue.

Caitlin pulled away abruptly, remembering the trickle of blood, those kind eyes that had become cruel. "I can't." she whispered feverishly. What had his mouth done? Who had he drained so he could stand before her? That she couldn't forget.

"What is it?" he pondered, allowing her to pull away.

"How can I kiss you? Knowing that you kill people with that mouth?"

His eyes darkened, but he didn't argue. "I haven't a choice."

"That makes two of us, then. Both without a choice." Her voice bittered, "The difference is, you can come and go as you please. I'm stuck here, your prisoner."

"I thought we were past this." He stated.

"Perhaps you are. My mother begged me to come back for a visit. I have to write a letter and tell her I may never see her again. How can I sit in this gilded cage and fatten as my mother grows older every day? How am I to-" bear your child. She couldn't finish, choking back a sob.

"My presence displeases you." he concluded. "I am a reminder."

"How can you not be?" She breathed, "Every day I wake up, and remember what my role is. I am to be bred like a dog!"

"Caitlin-"

Caitlin stormed out, marched back to her bedroom, and slammed the door. At any moment, he could have stopped her, but he didn't. Without a window to stare out of, she realized just how small her life was. She held her stomach and rolled on her side, weeping for the loss of children she never knew, of a life she could never have.

"If it were possible, I'd release you from the shackles that bind us." His voice echoed.

By the time she looked up, he was gone.

*

Miss Caitlin Stone to be prepared for departure.

Convene on the first floor in the foyer at Three.

Was all the note said. It was in his perfect script, handed over by Marianne who shrugged, "Don't ask me, I just do as I'm told."

"It's cold." Caitlin whispered, it was she who chilled him in the first place. But he kept to his word, he would bring her into the city after all. "It's my fault."

"How?" Marianne collected necessities into Caitlin's suitcase.

"We had... a moment... and I remembered when he bit me. I- I couldn't do it. He scares me sometimes." She clutched her arms close.

Marianne nodded, "Many vampires are changed, by choice or not. He was born this way, their expressions are... a little different from ours. You should meet his father." She said, almost as an afterthought. "But despite what you may think," she leaned in conspiratorially, "he's been completely torn up about uprooting you the way he did."

Caitlin scoffed, "Yeah, right."

"No, really," she countered, "He's asked me countless times if it was the right decision."

"And?"

"And I told him: 'Absolutely not, but you don't pay me to think for you.' However, I also said 'What's done is done. If it were me, I'd need time, and compassion. Maybe a little freedom.' Has he not given you them?"

"But you know what he expects from me."

Marianne sighed, running a hand through her graying hair, "I had my boys, but it's not the same. I wouldn't know the first thing about it; however, there is someone who does." Her eyebrows rose, waiting for her to remember something.

"Kalen's mother." She realized.

The servant smiled, "Wouldn't hurt to have a chat, she was in your position nearly three hundred years ago." She stuffed the last of her clothes into it and zipped it shut. "The city is two hours out, will you be needing a snack to take along?"

"I'd appreciate it." Caitlin took the luggage and set it with the others.

"I'll be back in a moment,"

She snatched the letter off her little desk, it needed to be sent to her mother. In it, she'd outlined the plan for her trip, expressing how much she missed her, and reassured her that she was safe. Caitlin didn't have the strength to tell her she'd never come home. It would have broken her mother's heart.

Stuffing the unsealed envelope into a pocket, she gathered her things and waited.

In the silence, she pondered the conversation she'd had with Marianne, realizing Kalen was almost three hundred years old. It would explain his genteel demeanor; however, he was all but naïve when it came to a young woman's fragile psyche. His childhood must have been as awful as hers if his kind even experienced childhood. Perhaps they emerged from the womb fully grown.

That thought made her shudder.

She hadn't seen him since her outburst; Caitlin was learning that if he was displeased, he would leave without ceremony, and fail to announce his return. He being her only true companion made it that much lonelier when he was absent. Dickens and Poe were not a sufficient substitute.

It was nearing three in the morning, she would leave with him, hopefully with Marianne in tow.

A quick knock and she appeared, "I brought snacks and sandwiches, cheeses and meats. That should do you."

"Are you not coming with?" Caitlin asked, surprised.

Marianne glanced at her before answering, "I don't think it'd be best. You two have some things to work out, and I don't want any part of it."

"Gee, thanks." She groaned.

"I won't lie to you, dear." Marianne patted her arm, "You'll be back soon enough. I'll have Edmund gather your suitcases."

"Who?" Caitlin wondered, never having met an Edmund.

"Oh, the butler. I came to your room a few times with him, remember? When you were still trying to run away, Lord knows where." Marianne rolled her eyes lightheartedly.

She realized with a silent 'ah' and looked at the clock, "It's three already." Caitlin grabbed her toiletry bag and stood, dressed in a muted dark outfit she'd been requested to wear.

"Let's get, then." Marianne finagled one of the suitcases and opened the door, "After you."

Caitlin was shown the servant's stair that brought them straight up to the grand foyer.

Kalen stood waiting, tall and sleek in somber black clothes. His eyes did not alight when he saw her, merely accepted her presence with a tangible chill.

"Edmund," Marianne heaved the bag to the exit, "Get the other suitcases, will you?" The butler nodded and disappeared down the servant's stair.

Kalen offered his arm, which she defiantly ignored, insisting on lugging her own suitcase down the stairs. She must have looked ridiculous next to him, juggling the bags despite a proffered hand.

"It will not kill you to accept help." He reasoned, bemused.

She ignored him, dragging the bags down the stairs to the- She stopped. The car in front of her looked like no car she'd ever seen before, it was awkwardly stretched in the middle, impossibly so.

"What is that?" She'd seen cars, trucks, tractors, and wagons. But this was new.

"It's a limousine," He explained, taking the suitcase from her gently and opening the back.

"Why is it shaped like that?" She looked inside, flabbergasted.

"So it may contain its passengers comfortably." He ushered her back and opened the door for her. "Tonight, that is us, after you."

Plush leather seats and cool air welcomed her inside. Cobalt blue lights accented the outline near the floor for ease of passage. She scooted in and sat on the far left, where she could roll down a window. Caitlin let in the warm night air, filled with the sound of crickets.

Kalen filed in after her. The moment the door shut, tension mounted. She no longer blamed Marianne for not wanting to attend, how would they carry on like this for two hours?

She leaned out the window as the driver pulled away from the house, passing the stables and fields before turning onto a smooth paved road.

From the corner of her eye, she gauged Kalen's mood. He seemed recovered from her last outburst, but she could feel the problem aching to be resolved. She would have to make the first move.

The minutes dragged by until she finally spoke, "I'm sorry."

He glanced at her without emotion.

"This has all been so hard for me, but its been hard for you, too, hasn't it?" She remembered what Marianne said.

"Why do you think that?" His dark eyes watched her lips move.

"I..." She didn't want to oust the servant, "You don't have a choice, either, do you?"

Kalen turned away, "No."

She waited for him to say more, when he didn't, she sighed and turned her attention back to the window. Her heart ached in her chest.

"But I don't regret it." He spoke finally, "Sometimes,"

"fate has different plans." She finished, garnering a small smile from him. "Whatever this is between us, I don't want to lose your confidence. It scares me near to death but... I'm growing fond of you." It took everything for her to finally admit it, despite their tumultuous relationship.

"When did you realize?"

"The day we first met. Something about you, the way you held yourself. The way you touched me..." She leaned towards him while speaking, he was still reclined against his chair. "It was too much, all at once. I was afraid, when you drank from me, that you could control me with a word. It still affects me sometimes." She rubbed her neck, the bite had long since healed. "I wonder occasionally, if you hadn't beguiled me. Then this torment I feel might make sense."

Kalen brought a hand to her cheek, "I have not manipulated your affections for me. At the time, I did what I thought was right. In hindsight, I should have allowed you to pursue me, rather than take you away. You deserved better than that. I am untested in this circumstance."

"It is what it is." She leaned into his touch and closed her eyes, trusting him completely.

An arm swiftly scooped her close, a finger lifted her chin, "You're an amazing creature, Caitlin Stone." Their eyes locked, "Few mortals would... or could... accept what you have in the last two months. I can see why you were chosen."

Caitlin's eyes flickered downward, "As if there's some divine hand in it?" she scoffed lightly.

"How do we know there isn't? You pray to that Christian god of yours, what is more ridiculous than a man in the sky, granting wishes?"

She could hear the old women in her hometown, cursing his heathen tongue. "Do you not worship God?" Caitlin asked, realizing she knew very little of his customs.

"We do not, it makes little sense to beg when we can simply take." His words were unintentionally callous. "I didn't mean-"

"I know," she reassured him, not wanting to push the point further. She leaned into his chest and circled her arms around his waist. A hand stroked her hair, careful, slow.

Exhaustion weighed down on her mind until she surrendered.

*

"Caitlin." Kalen murmured, "We're here."

Sleep clung to the edges of her consciousness, threatening to drag her back down. "Where are we?" she whispered in a gravelly voice.

"At our building in the city. It's nearing sunrise."

She nodded, understanding his meaning. The world outside the limousine was loud for five in the morning, people bustled to and fro, despite the early hour. Someone shot her a dirty look as they passed, wearing an oversized suit, and carrying a briefcase. Kalen quickly blocked her from the foot traffic, two more men, perhaps the driver and a bodyguard, guided them to the building without incident.

When they were safely within, she breathed, "So many people."

"That was just between second and third." Kalen mused. "The chauffer will get your things." He scooped her into his arms, "You, my lady, are going back to bed."

Caitlin did not protest, letting him carry her to a metal door. She perked up as they slid open to reveal a very small room, "What is that?"

"An elevator," he laughed then, "You really haven't left your hometown... Here," he stood her up, "Press the SB button, it will take us to the sub-basement." She pressed the circle and it illuminated, the veil of sleep made it seem marvelous. The floor beneath them jolted before descending. A strange sensation in her head made her dizzy, he caught her with a steely arm. "It can be disorienting if this is your first time, its only two floors. We'll be out soon."

As promised, the box ceased moving, and the doors slid open. A place furnished much like the mansion sprawled out ahead.

"Your room is over here," he led her by the hand. "I don't have someone in place of Marianne yet, as we'll only be here a week. But if you want, I can hire a temporary replacement." He opened the door, the room was fit for a young woman, muted rose and viridian mesh hung over a queen size bed.

Caitlin shook her head, "I think I can manage." She had managed all her life until she was brought to the mansion.

"If that is your wish." He helped her down into the bed, tucking the covers in around her. "Rest now." Kalen planted a kiss on her head.

She took hold of his lapel, "Don't go, yet. Lie with me."

He chuckled and unlatched her fingers, "A few minutes," he agreed, effortlessly gliding over her, and laying with an arm draped over the comforter.

Under his watch, she felt safe enough to let the world spin without her.

*

Caitlin gasped awake, alone in a strange bed.

It rushed back all at once: the trip, the elevator ride, and her new suite. Kalen, as usual, was nowhere to be found.

She'd taken the habit of sleeping during the day, and by the clock on the wall, evening was near. Her things were neatly stacked against the bed, she rifled through them to find another pair of clothes, pushing bedraggled hair from her face.

After dressing, she exited the room and found a kitchenette, a fridge was stocked with food that had likely anticipated her arrival. The snack Marianne had packed sat near the front, which she snagged for her first meal.

There was a huge television set on the wall with a remote. They had televisions in her hometown, but closed circuit, so it was whatever the council agreed to, nothing more. She doubted this one was.

Flipping on the screen, it hummed to life to some type of talk show. Several women were arguing over something Caitlin couldn't quite grasp; politics, someone's midriff? She changed the channel, two ridiculous looking people argued about a child onstage, with the boy sitting between them. She shook her head and flipped it again, it went like this until a beautiful scene bloomed on the screen.

At first, she thought she was looking at glowing streams of lights at dusk. The camera moved so that she could see the buildings, like the one she was in, and cars, many, many car lights passing, some red, some white. So many tall buildings, so many cars, she wondered if this were how the whole world was, and she'd lived in the only place devoid of progress.

But the mansion had been secluded as well, it took hours of backroads to get into the city, they had passed more than a hundred miles of forest. Caitlin knew so little of the world, it frustrated her.

Leaving the television on, she washed the lunch container in the sink and placed it to the side. She would take a tour of the suite and then try the elevator again, wondering where it could take her. Caitlin had no intention of running away, just explore.

Opening all the doors, she found a washroom, a huge office where some work had been conducted recently, though what kind, the documents didn't say. Hundreds of pages were covered in numbers; she was careful not to disturb their order. One room was locked, she had a good idea of what it might contain. Caitlin rested a hand on the door a moment before moving to the next.

Another bedroom, plainer than her own. Other than the kitchen and living room, that was all. The place was tiny compared to the mansion, humble save for its high-brow decorations.

In the washroom she found her brush and swept her hair back into a ponytail. She was dressed in the same muted clothes as before, crisp and new, but not flashy.

It was time to take the elevator.

Pressing the button still held her appeal, the box rose her up, gravity fighting until it stopped and released her. She was back in the lobby, the place open and bare, save for a singular guard posted at the exit. "Ma'am," he stood at attention.

His professionalism kept her from waving the acknowledgement away, she was no 'ma'am'. "Excuse me," Caitlin began, "May I go outside?" She didn't want to state Kalen by name, as she didn't know if this was his man or not.