The Princess of Cleves #03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That is a most unhappy man. He must fret the entire night, fearful another gallant may kindle a fire where the ashes of his love smolder," Conde replied. "Though, the Duke maintains the greatest torment is to be absent from ball which your mistress is attending."

Rosalind tried not to blush as they spoke. The King was sending the Duke de Nemours away and he would not be attending the Marechal's party. It could not be her who vexed him so. Surely there was some other woman in court who held his heart.

"Are there any circumstances under which he would like his mistress to attend a ball?" Mary inquired.

"Yes, if he himself throws the ball, he consents to his mistress' attendance," Conde replied.

Mary laughed. "The Duke de Nemours is right to approve of his mistresses' coming to his ball. If they did not come, the assembly there would be very thin."

While everyone chatted about this singular opinion, Rosalind thought of the upcoming ball. The Marechal would use this occasion to take liberties with her. As the host he would embrace her, kiss her cheeks, and hover beside her.

She told her mother this, that she did want to be subjected to the Marechal's attentions, so she would not be attending the ball.

Her mother thought this a very queer idea, and informed her daughter she would attend the ball. Mme. de Chartes discovered her daughter to be obstinate on this point, and in the end advised her to claim she an indisposition.

The Duke de Nemours was not fortunate enough to hear of this until the day after the ball. Even then, he did not know it was his displeasure that kept Rosalind attending. He experienced a night of poor sleep, followed by a moment of queer relief the next day.

Both the Marechal and Chevalier were disappointed to find their love absent. Each suspected the cause lay in the Duke de Nemours, as did Mme. de Chartes.

12