The Private Life of a Country Vet

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
LiveCat
LiveCat
1,050 Followers

"Hey, what's up?" she called after her friend

"The bastard has just charged me £300 for work on my car, which is fair enough, except he's now told me that it's unlikely to get through its MOT in 2 months time without another £600 worth of work doing to it. If he'd told me that in the first place I wouldn't have just spent the money on the heap of junk, cos it can't be worth more than about £700 tops!" and with that tears started to cascade down her face.

Sian took her friend in her arms and tried to console her, eventually just holding her and making soothing noises as she cried herself out.

Eventually Joss lifted her tear stained face from Sian's neck, her red rimmed eyes suddenly looking slightly panicky.

"Thanks for the hug but unless you want a bad reputation it's probably best not to be seen cuddling me in the street." And she pulled herself from Sian's embrace.

"Christ! I know this is a small town but surely not everyone knows that I'm gay already?" stated Sian vehemently

"No, but they know I am and if they see you hugging me then it won't take long for the rumour mill to start whirring."

"Oh!" Sian stated not too eloquently "Sorry, I didn't realise but to be truthful I've never hidden my sexuality so I don't care unless you do."

Joss sighed a deep and mournful sigh before answering.

"You might want to revise that view. This isn't London and people are more blinkered out here in the sticks. It's not as bad as it used to be but a bad reputation for personal reasons, warranted or not, can still make life difficult."

"Then how the hell did Toby and Giles manage for all these years?"

"I have no idea but I suspect that until they built their professional reputations they kept their love life very quiet."

-------------------------

Sian didn't see much of Joss over the next two weeks and she wondered if she was avoiding her but as she was busy getting the house sorted she didn't pay too much attention.

On her first morning as the new local vet she was in her surgery when an old guy came in with a sheep dog, complaining that it wouldn't eat.

Sian checked the dog thoroughly, gave it a couple of dog treats, which it wolfed down and declared that she couldn't find anything wrong with the dog at all.

The old boy scowled at Sian like she was bonkers and left with a furrowed brow, muttering and cursing to himself under his breath. After that it was mainly pets for the rest of the day but even that was a change from London as it included a ferret and a goat.

Just as she was saying goodbye to Susan, her receptionist and locking up Toby wandered into the surgery, asking how her first day had gone.

"It was fine part from a bloke with a perfectly healthy collie dog who seemed to dislike me."

Toby laughed loudly at this revelation and wandered over to the shelves for a can of ordinary dog food and handed it to Sian.

"Was that Mr. Horton by any chance?" Sian checked the appointment book but there was no Horton listed; in fact there was no dog listed at all.

"He's a bit of a local character. He's old, frail, poor, and slightly senile but above all else he's lonely. Every now and again he brings the dog into the surgery on some false pretence, most often that the dog won't eat. He never books an appointment and comes at the busiest times so that he can sit in the waiting room chatting to people until a free slot becomes available -- Susan generally manages to keep him occupied for at least an hour and gives him coffee and biscuits, then we pretend to check the dog over, give it a bowl of "special" dog food and away he goes."

"Bloody hell Toby, are there any other local characters you need to warn me about?" laughed Sian

"Yeah a few, but it's much more fun to let you discover them by yourself." He replied, laughing hard enough for tears to spring from his eyes "upsetting a few people isn't as bad as you think as long as you perfect the art of making things right again!" and with that he strolled out of the surgery door, still laughing, as Sian stood there shaking her head.

When she got home that evening she walked straight over to Joss' cottage and around to the back door but before she got there she heard her swearing from a nearby barn and decided to take a look.

"Everything ok in there?" she called out on arriving at the battered door.

"Er yeah, sort of, I could use a hand though."

As Sian crossed the threshold and her eyes adjusted to the gloom of the barn, she could make out the bottom half of Joss sticking out from underneath an old tractor.

'There's a big adjustable spanner in the tool box on the seat, could you pass it to me please?' and a grease stained hand appeared from under the carcass of the machine.

Ten minutes and much swearing later Joss emerged, covered in oil but grinning from ear to ear.

"Who says a woman can't fix a tractor huh?" and she moved the toolbox, swung up into the seat and turned the key. The engine groaned, coughed, spluttered and died. Not to be deterred she tried again and again and finally on the 6th attempt the old engine roared to life and chugged away merrily causing Joss to whoop and holler with a glee that was infectious and had Sian cheering along with her.

"Well thank god for that!" enthused Joss once she'd shut the tractor down again, "I really didn't want to have to pay to get this fixed as well as my old car. Thanks for the help, come inside so I can wash the crap off."

As they walked into the kitchen Joss went straight to the old butler kitchen sink, pulling her overalls down and tying them at the waist. Sian tried not to look but she was mesmerised by the muscles in the back that was now almost completely exposed around the sports bra that had been uncovered.

Joss didn't seem to notice as she scrubbed her hands, face and arms of dirt, talking over her should as if this were a perfectly normal occurrence.

"So what brings you over, something I can do for you?"

Sian's head snapped up from the direction it was taking, following the line of muscles down to the swell of that firm arse; clearing her throat before she spoke.

"I was after a favour but I also think I can help you out. I need to find out where a Mr. Horton lives, do you know him?"

"Oh everyone knows Jack Horton, poor old sod; he hasn't been the same since his wife died. Why do you need him?" so Sian explained about his visit to the surgery and her plan to placate the old man, making Joss nod and smile in approval.

"I've also had a thought about your old car. I have an old Fiat over at my place; it's insured and road legal and it runs like a dream but I can't see me using it much since Toby and Giles gave me the discovery - do you want it?"

Sian could see the wheels turning in Joss' head, emotions seeming to flicker between hope and despair.

"Yes I'd love it but I have to say no, thanks anyway though." And she sadly shook her head.

"Why not? It's not like it's worth much and you might as well use it if I'm not."

"It doesn't matter what it costs, I don't have the money. Farms around here had it really hard last year due to the weather and to make matters worse I lost stock to bovine TB, if it wasn't for the rent on the cottage you're in I'd have gone bust. I'm starting to get back on track now but I just can't justify spending any money on a car when if necessary I can drive the tractor."

Sian suddenly saw the misunderstanding, walking up to Joss and grasping her hands as she spoke earnestly.

"I don't want your money Joss! The car is old and has virtually no resale value but it's served me well over the years and I'd hate to see it just rust away due to lack of use. Toby gave me a new car so the least I can do is pass the kindness along and give my old car to you."

Joss stood there incredulous; unbelieving that a virtual stranger, a city girl at that, would just offer this kindness out of the blue. Sian could see the clouds moving behind her eyes and wondered of she had embarrassed her new friend with her offer.

"At least say you'll take it and use it for a while until you come up with a better plan, if that's more comfortable for you? You can give it back when you don't need it any more if you want?"

Eventually Joss relented and gave her a hug that threatened to break her ribs. Sian was instantly aware Joss was still only wearing her sports bra and it made her heart beat a little faster but she also heard a slight sniffle and knew that Joss was fighting to hold back tears, so she calmed her libido and just hugged her back.

An hour later they pulled up outside an old cottage that was in need of some serious TLC and as Sian climbed out of the passenger seat of the Fiat, Joss winked at her and wished her luck. She strode up to the door and knocked loudly on the doorframe, causing a dog to bark loudly from within.

The door creaked open with Jack Horton's scowling face appearing through the gap, followed by a gruff voice. '"Howdo Veterinary."

"Mr Horton, I'm so glad I found you. I've been thinking about your dog and I wondered if maybe some special food with a few extra vitamins might help to perk him up?" and she handed him a foil dish of ordinary dog food.

Jack eyed her suspiciously and then took the food from her, putting his hand in his pocket and bringing out a crumpled £5 note and some change.

"Oh no charge sir." smiled Sian "I'm just sorry we got off on the wrong foot and wanted to make amends, I hope we'll see you back at the surgery soon!" and with that she walked down the path as Jack stood on the doorstep watching, scratching his head in disbelief, a wry smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

Climbing back into the car Sian was grinning widely. "Well, there's one happy customer!"

"Yeah, except he's not a paying customer." giggled Joss.

"True, but if I know anything about people he'll now be telling other folk how nice the new vet is and that's worth more to me than a consultation fee. Do you mind if I drive her one last time?" and with that they climbed out of the car and swapped seats.

As they were returning Joss called out "Hey silly, you're going the wrong way!"

"No I'm not, I'm buying you dinner to celebrate me surviving my first day and you repairing your tractor and if I happen to remember rightly there's a good Chinese restaurant down this way; you do like Chinese food?"

Joss protested loudly but as she was now the passenger there was little she could do, finally allowing herself to be coerced into the restaurant with a smile. Joss was an independent woman and usually having someone tell her what to do would irritate the hell out of her but for some reason with Sian, she found it amusing and endearing. In fact she was coming to enjoy spending time with her more and more and she couldn't help wondering -- maybe she should just ask?

They chatted about nothing in particular until their food arrived at which point they descended on the plate of mixed starters like a plague of locusts, devouring ribs, spring rolls, prawn toasts and crispy won ton in no time.

Joss looked up from her plate to find that Sian had dribbled sweet chilli sauce on her chin and the urge to reach over and wipe it off with her thumb was almost overpowering; she held herself in check but it did drive her to ask the question she'd been dying to ask.

"So will your girlfriend be coming to the Dales to join you?"

She saw a cloud pass across Sian's eyes briefly but it soon passed.

"No, I don't have a girlfriend. I did have but we wanted different things and we split up when I decided to move up here. What about you, any love interests on the scene?"

Joss just shook her head; she didn't feel like discussing the way she'd been unceremoniously dumped by her previous girlfriend who turned out just to be using her to satisfy her curiosity. She'd thought it was the real thing, had loved her deeply and was crushed to find out she'd just been a passing whim and that the feelings didn't go both ways.

There was a slightly uneasy pause between the two women for a couple of minutes until Joss raised her glass of wine in a toast.

"To lost loves." as they were chinking their glasses Sian took over the toast.

"And to new friends."

"And to your first successful day as a country vet."

"And to you fixing your tractor!"

By the time the toasts were done the two women were laughing again and both felt that at the very least they were becoming good friends.

Late the following afternoon as Sian was unpacking a delivery of veterinary supplies she couldn't help herself and removed a long rubber glove from its sterile wrapper and put it on, laughing as she wiggled her fingers into position and pulled the rubber arm right up to her shoulder, completely encasing her right arm in tight rubber.

"Don't need these for cats, dogs and rabbits." she chuckled to herself

"Planning on using that?" came an amused voice from behind her.

Spinning around in surprise she laughed at seeing Giles stood in the stockroom doorway, his eyebrows raised.

"No, I'm just checking they're the right size -- I don't want to turn up for my first gynaecological cow exam to find my gloves don't fit do I?" she quipped back "What are you doing here anyway, missing the place already?"

"I'm arranging a surprise birthday party for Toby and I wanted to make sure you'd be coming and find out if you'd be bringing someone with you?"

"Toby hates surprises and besides, his birthday is in January!"

"He doesn't hate surprises, he just hates the idea of someone planning something without him being involved," chuckled Giles "and I know his birthday is in January, that's part of the surprise, he'll never expect a party in July!"

After some discussion Sian assured Giles that she'd be there, he returned to the one unanswered part of the question.

"So who will you be bringing with you?"

"Giles I've only lived here for a couple of weeks, I haven't had a chance to meet some new hottie yet; this backwater isn't exactly overflowing with gay bars in which to go looking!"

"Yes, but you live on the same parcel of land as the lovely Jocelyn Harper! Don't tell me you haven't encountered her yet? We didn't arrange that cottage for you to rent by accident you know!" and suddenly Giles looked very sheepish as if he'd just let a very big cat out of a very small bag!

"Bloody hell!" laughed Sian "you bring me up here, set me up in business, sort out my housing and motoring needs, and now you're trying to set me up romantically too? Is there any service you guys don't offer?"

"Not for our favourite niece!" and with that he turned on his heels and left the surgery before Sian could ask any more questions.

Sian was in two minds about mentioning the party to Joss but in the end she couldn't see the harm, so over a pint of decent real ale in the local pub on Friday evening she made her mind up.

"Giles is throwing a surprise party for Toby next Friday."

"Oh yes I know, Sharon asked me if I was going."

Sian tried not to bristle visibly; she had no idea who Sharon was after all.

"So what did you tell her?" she knew the words had come out slightly harsher than intended but what could she do?

"I said maybe. Why?"

"Well, I wondered if you'd like to come with me?" and she inwardly cringed as she waited to be told that she was going with Sharon. Sian was starting to hate Sharon regardless of not having a clue as to who she was.

"Are you inviting me to go the party with you, or with you?"

Sian was slightly taken aback and took a moment to study the bottom of her pint glass through the amber liquid as she composed herself. How would she answer that? She hadn't even really considered which question she was asking prior to opening her mouth.

Finally she looked up into a pair of eyes that were filled with mirth as Joss let her off the hook with a simple word.

"Yes."

"Oh ok." cursing herself for her lack of verbal eloquence.

"Shall I pick you up at 7.30? We can both have a drink and walk back together, and then you can take me back to collect the Fiat the next morning?"

"It's a date!" inwardly cringing again but Joss didn't seem to notice, so Sian stood and walked to the bar to refill their glasses.

------------------------------

Sian was in her bedroom in a fit of indecision when she heard Joss call her name from downstairs.

"I'm in the bedroom, I'll be down in a minute but I can't decide what to wear!" she called back, staring at the clothes piled on the bed

"Nothing too formal, you're gonna look great whatever you wear."

Sian jumped at the words having not heard Joss walk up the stairs, let alone walk to the bedroom doorway. She was standing in the middle of the room wearing nothing but a pair of light blue panties and matching bra; virtually naked under the gaze of her new friend, blushing wildly.

"Mind you, you look pretty good as you are!" and Joss folded her arms and rested against the doorframe, obviously in no hurry to leave.

"I really am going to have to get used to this open door policy! Since you're wearing jeans I will too." and she quickly grabbed a pair from the bed and forced her legs in, trying not to stumble in her haste.

She picked a blue shirt off the bed but her wrist was grabbed from behind, causing her to turn around.

"If we both turn up wearing jeans and a blue shirt we'll look like we're wearing some kind of lesbian uniform." laughed Joss "what about this one?"

Sian put the offered white shirt on and did the buttons up, turning to the mirror to check her appearance.

"I can't wear this, it's too thin and you can see the blue bra through it."

"I know." Was the response as Joss took her hand and pulled her toward the stairs.

The night was fun. The venue was the local rugby club and Toby was obviously very surprised to walk in and find banners saying "happy birthday" and even more surprised when he saw all his friends and realised the party was for him. Yep, throwing a birthday party 6 months before the actual event definitely helps to make it a surprise!

Sian and Joss chatted to lots of different people throughout the night, with Joss making sure she was introduced to all the right people; people who needed to know that she was the new vet and that she was Toby's protégé. When Sian listened to the way she described her skill as a 'renowned London Vet' she couldn't help but blush and she dragged Joss to one side.

"Bloody hell, if you're not careful you'll build me a reputation that I have no hope of living up to! Besides, you haven't even used my services yet."

"If you weren't accomplished Toby and Giles wouldn't have brought you up here and I may not have used your services yet but I fully intend to!" and with that she winked and walked to the bar leaving Sian stood in the middle of the room speechless, wondering if the double entendre had been deliberate.

As the evening wore on Sian looked wistfully at the couples who were dancing, the music slower and mellow as the night was drawing to a close. She would have loved to ask Joss to dance but she knew that she'd get turned down; if for no other reason because Joss seemed very careful about public displays of affection that reminded people of her sexuality. She sighed and turned away from the dance floor, almost running straight into Joss who had returned from the ladies room and was standing right behind her.

"You seem to be making a habit of sneaking up on me." she grinned

Joss just looked at her for a moment, a slightly sad look in her eye until she suddenly smiled, grabbed Sian's arm and walked toward the back of the room.

"Come with me, I want to show you something."

They exited the main room via a door that lead to the changing rooms and kitchen but Joss took her past all of these and to another door, which once opened revealed a flight of stairs.

LiveCat
LiveCat
1,050 Followers