The Red Penguin

Story Info
Where I wanna be someday.
1.5k words
3.44
8.8k
00
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I’ve been looking for this place for most of my life. Well, at least half of it. I started thinking about it when I turned twenty-five, you start to wonder at that quarter-century mark just what the hell you’ll be doing when you get old, when you retire. I mean you want to be where you want to be, and I wanna die happy.

I’ve been lucky, I’ll turn fifty-two next month, I’m not ready to retire yet, life’s been good to me, it’s been a trip. Twenty-five years ago I was still working in restaurants, like since I’d been a kid. Now I own one, a Bar/Restaurant called “The Red Penguin”. My ex-wife and still best friend Jenna suggested the name. It comes from the first film we made together, the first one that made me as a writer, a screenwriter, and the first one that made her as an actress, a recognized one. Now recognized throughout the world, “Jenna Versails”, the name strike a bell? We’ve made twelve films together, four of them knockouts, the rest all made money. I’ve been lucky, we’ve both been lucky. Still nobody recognizes a screenwriter’s name except other screenwriters. That’s why I carry American Express.

When we split up six years ago, we stayed friends and partners. We’ve had two films together since. I’m working on another now, I guess I’ll always be writing and never retire. But whether I do or don’t, I’ve still got my place where I wanna be as I grow old. I’ve been lucky. Jenna stays here when she’s in the area, it’s been good for business. I guess we’ll always love each other. Yeah, I’ve been lucky, real lucky. Now let me tell you about my place.

The name “The Red Penguin”, like I said, comes from the first movie we made together. It was the name of Johnnie Castro’s place, a nightclub in the late ‘30’s. Johnnie was a gangster like tough-guy with a heart. Jenna played his girlfriend, “Peaches McCall”, a street smart half-tramp/part-lady who always seemed to cause Johnnie more trouble than it was worth. Jenna played the role beautifully, in fact, she was nominated for an academy award. She was made for the part. I still call her “Peaches”.

Johnnie’s “Red Penguin” isn’t anything like my “Red Penguin”, except maybe for the ‘30’s motif. The only gambling that goes on here is upstairs where I live, and only with friends. And nobody’s been shot here since I opened the place. In fact, it’s presidingly calm here, except when Jenna comes to town and then people are still polite, just downright friendly. As usual.

“Peopleton” is a small town on the bank of the Delaware River. It has a small town personality. On the other side of the river, the New Jersey side lies “Clearington”. I call them the “twin-ton-towns of the Delaware-Water-Gap. Each have a year round population of around two-thousand residents, most of them shop owners, or craftsmen, or people who work for shop owners, or craftsmen, and of course their families. In the surrounding valleys there are hundreds of farms, the soil is rich and each year brings a good crop, whether it be tomatoes, potatoes, or pot. Which, thank god, was fully legalized ten years ago. I have a small farm about fifteen miles up river. My nephew Davie runs the place for me, it’s a real moneymaker, always a good product.

“The Red Penguin” is actually an old Victorian house built in the late 1850’s. It was really a mansion, with a ballroom and library on the first floor, a huge kitchen with servant’s quarters in the back, and nine bedrooms on the second and third floors.

The outside of the “Red Penguin” is painted white on wooden plank, the shutters are painted bright red. With the background blue of the sky and the river “The Red Penguin” sticks out like a place called “The Red Penguin” should stick out, high class but friendly.

The surrounding grounds are covered with lush green grass. I call it “fur-grass”, adorned with trees, and benches painted white. Some facing the house, but most facing the river, the dock, and my boat “The Red Minnow”. Jenna gave her to me when I opened the place, the name was already on her, and she has a strange sense of humor.

But it’s the inside of “The Red Penguin” that I’m really proud of. As you enter the front, through the enclosed porch, with the rockers and swings, the first thing you notice is the thick red carpet and the black ebony staircase. The Host at the door does not frisk you like he did at Johnnie’s place, but asks politely if he can assist you, whether you are interested in dinner, or a lite snack and dancing, or both.

If you want a serious meal he will suggest “The McCall Room”, which used to be the Ballroom. Fifteen tables covered with white linen, adorned with candles and fresh flowers, the tables are oak and so is the paneling on the walls. There is an old stone fireplace on the center wall opposite the entranceway of the room, on either side of the fireplace are two fourteen by four foot windows, and there are three more on each side wall. The floor is covered with an antique oriental carpet, and the three chandeliers which hang from the ceiling are original with the building and give adequate lighting along with the candles on the tables, not too bright, just enough. Sweet swing music permeates the air, from Bunny Berrigan to Tommy Dorsey. And the food ranges from meat and potatoes to fine French cuisine, but we specialize in Seafood, with a different special every night.

If you wanted to maybe have a light snack, or to dance, or perhaps some live entertainment he would suggest “Johnnie’s Pub”, which is located in what used to be the library. This room is darker, and the flames flickering from the candles leave dancing patterns on the cherry wood wall. It’s very romantic. The cherry wood bar I bought blends with the décor. It was the original from the Cherry St. Tavern in Philadelphia. Twenty-five years ago I used to stop in there on my way to the Art Museum. I always wanted a bar like that, now I have it. I’ve been lucky. I know.

All the drinks are served in antique glasses, and made with antique cocktail shakers, even the bottle pourers are antique, I’ve collected them all of my life. Every night of the week features a different form of music, from Dixieland to Swing, from Jazz to Rock and Roll. I try to start off every evening with perhaps a folk singer or jazz soloist and their own compositions. I love to hear a song I’ve never heard before. Hearing what another person has created refreshes my own creativity, and I love giving the kids a chance, a shot to be heard.

The third room or bar has its own private entrance. It’s located to the rear of the house and faces the river. This room used to be the servant’s quarters. I had to knock down a couple of walls, but what the hell, you should see it now. This is where most of the locals hang out. It has a nice old bar, with six different beers on tap: Yeuling Porter, Rolling Rock, Heineken, Whitbread, Guinness, and Samuel Smith Pale Ale. There are two pool tables (less arguments that way!), and an old jukebox which contains an assortment of music equaled perhaps only by the one that used to be in “Dirty Franks” bar twenty-five years ago. But that’s not surprising, that’s where I got a few of the selections some of my favorite songs. Overhead hang Tiffany Lamps on a dimmer switch, I like to have control of the lighting. There is a small stage and a small dance floor. Over lunches we have a few girl dancers. It’s been good for business, and besides, I like to watch girls dance. It’s my place, right? Right!

Listen, I gotta go, Jenna’s here. I just heard the door slam of a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost. It’s easy to recognize and hard to forget. It’s hers, she’s a bit spoiled, but then, so am I. She bought it after her first Oscar, our fourth movie together. “Hey, Peaches . . . I’m in here!” Listen, I gotta go, I’m working on a new script and I want her reactions, but next time you’re in my neck of the woods stop on in! I won’t buy you a drink, business is business, but I might smoke a number with you. Might make you hungrier, just kidding, anyway stop on by, there’s always a good time at my place, “The Red Penguin”, and friendly people are always welcome. You can’t miss it.

“Oh, Hi Baby . . . You look great!” Gotta go. Yeah! I’ve been lucky. I know! Bye! Talk to you in the next chapter.