The Return Ch. 05

Story Info
Putting the pieces together.
12.4k words
4.7
112.4k
45

Part 5 of the 6 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 07/08/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
muirmadra
muirmadra
543 Followers

Chapter Five: Putting the Pieces Together

Pacing in front of the large window behind his desk, Robert Armestead was worried. He hadn't heard from either Manelli or Silverman. Yesterday, he had sent them to follow McKenzie and, if the opportunity arose, introduce themselves in their usual fashion. He expected to hear from them yesterday evening but they never checked in.

This afternoon, he received a call from the Sheriff's Office. They had found a black Cadillac Escalade registered to the Armestead Estate parked off the highway just off the county line. Armestead notified them that two of his employees, Mr. Frank Manelli and Victor Silverman had taken the car on an errand for the company sometime yesterday. However, they thus far, have not reported in.

The deputy advised that since the SUV displayed no signs of struggle or any other evidence of a crime, Armestead could have someone from his company pick up the vehicle from the city impound yard.

Robert was anxious to hear from the two men. They knew too much for their own good. God help me if Geoff McKenzie learns about his parents. He sighed as he reasoned Manelli and Silverman would never talk, they would be cutting their own throats if they said anything about the explosive caused sinking.

Still, he was impatient to hear from those two morons. Both out of Detroit, they were on loan as a favor from one of his more ambitious partners, a well known crime syndicate boss. The last thing he wanted to do was call this particular individual and ask for more men. He would wonder why Manelli didn't call him instead of Armestead.

"God damn it McKenzie, why did you have to fucking come back," shouted Robert. Once James McKenzie and his wife were out of the way, that left Julie who was now betrothed to Neville, his younger brother. Through him, she would not have been any trouble for Robert. Back then, no one knew where the hell Geoff had run off to. As far as Robert knew, Geoff was dead. With James and Annabella out of the way, nothing would stop him from obtaining the land that would give him all the water rights to the valley.

Damn, I was so close, he thought. He had given Manelli strict instructions on where to place the explosive and how to set the timer. Through plain dumb luck he learned of the McKenzie's sailing up the coast the same day that freak storm hit. The shaped charge was minimized to only blow a hole in the hull, not blow up the boat. The last thing needed was evidence of an explosion. The plan worked perfectly. Debris from the wreckage failed to show any evidence of charring or burn marks from an explosive.

Now Geoff is back and soon will be snooping into the Annabella's sinking.

The desk phone chirped and a feminine voice sounded. "Mr. Armestead...a Mr. Jimmy Grecko on line one. Says it is urgent."

"Put him through," said Robert. Grecko was the private investigator hired to find out about Geoff McKenzie.

"Go ahead Mr. Armestead," Samantha's voice trilled.

Robert picked up the phone and said, "Jimmy, what have you got?"

Ten minutes later, Robert laid the phone in its cradle and slumped back in his chair. "My god, this is a nightmare," he groaned. Jimmy had brought him up to speed on Geoff's life since he left Moon Key Bay seven years ago. Geoff's service record and decorations, the SEALS and the numerous classified military operations, his time in the Caribbean obviously diving for sunken treasure, and his involvement with some rather unsavory but very influential men from Miami, Florida.

But the coup de grace...Geoff McKenzie was unbelievably wealthy, infinitely more that than either the McKenzie or Armestead fortunes. Perhaps both. Why grandfather hadn't known this baffled him. Perhaps because Nathanial didn't consider Geoff a threat plus Geoff was gone. The only reason Nathanial tried to file charges of battery against the boy was only to piss off James McKenzie. Not for any retribution on Robert's behalf. Nathanial never had much use for family loyalties.

Never mind all that now, that was the past. Now, Robert had to find a way to take out Geoff, before he came gunning for him. Grabbing the phone, he said, "Samantha...get me Detroit."

*******************

Neville walked through the front door to see Julie standing in the front room with the Armestead attorney, Wilson Goodman, alongside her.

"What is it, Goodman?" growled Neville.

"Your brother wants to see you," said Wilson Goodman his whiny voice like an alley full of screeching cats.

"I don't want to see him."

Goodman grinned, his lips so tight they were no more than a pencil line across his face. "Neville, I don't really care whether you want to see him or not. I'm just a messenger. Your choice but, if I were you, I would take the time and see him. Robert hasn't been in the best frame of mind lately. You know what he's capable of. Like I said...your choice."

"Nice to see you again, Ms. McKenzie," hissed Goodman and left.

"God!" she exclaimed. "Neville, that man creeps me out. Why does your brother use him?"

"To put it bluntly, Julie...Wilson Goodman will stop at nothing to get what he wants. I've seen him string and quarter other lawyers to the bone in court." Neville Armestead mentally cringed as he didn't want Julie to see the anxiety he felt about seeing Robert. Whatever Robert wanted to see him about didn't bode well.

"I...I had better see what my brother wants," said Neville.

"You want me to go with you?" asked Julie.

Neville sighed. She was such a support for him, no wonder he loved her so much. "No, I need to do this alone. Robert would somehow use your presence against me. Don't worry, I will be fine. Dinner out tonight?"

Julie smiled, her green eyes flashing. "Dinner would be wonderful," she purred.

What seemed a life time only took twenty minutes for Neville to step through the front doors of the Armestead home. A new butler approached and said, "Mr. Armestead is in the study."

"Thank you," he stated while proceeding toward the twin circular stairway. The study was on the second floor of the west wing of the mansion. Hesitating, he gripped the handle to the huge double doors and opened the right one. Stepping into the study, he saw a lone figure sitting behind the massive antique desk, staring out the window.

"So good of you to finally visit the family home, dear brother." The figure swiveled around and Neville stared at the contempt written across Robert's face.

"Robert, you know as well as I, this is no longer my home. The second I stood against Grandfather and you regarding your plans for the McKenzie's and Moon Key, I was ostracized from the family. I don't want to play this game. What do you want?"

"Very well then, let us dispense with the mundane family reunion. I want the water rights to the valley. You know how I can get them and your future betrothal to Julie McKenzie will assure me of that."

"You're mad Robert. Have you forgotten about Geoff? He would never sell you the land." Neville shuddered at Robert's smile. He knew that look, that of a predator hungry to take down a kill.

Picking absently at a crystal figurine on the desk, Robert stared at the object as he spoke.

"Geoff McKenzie will no longer be a problem. Julie McKenzie, your soon to be wife, will have all rights to the McKenzie estate. You, the loving husband and my dear brother, an Armestead, will convince her to sell me the land we have wanted for so many years."

"What have you done, Robert? Where is Geoff?"

Robert glared into Neville's eyes and snarled, "Never you mind about him...your only concern is Julie! You think you have left this family but you are involved in this as much as I. Or do you want my dear future sister-in-law to know about your past involvement with her parents?"

Neville's face paled and stumbled back, holding the back of a chair to maintain his balance.

"You wouldn't?"

"Neville, you know me. I will do whatever it takes to get what I want. Understand this, you may not have known your part in her parent's death but your hands are as bloody as mine. Understand?"

Neville felt sick and had to sit down. "I...I had nothing to do with the Annabella and you damn well know it, Robert!"

"Nothing to do with it? Who was it that told me they were soon to be sailing up to Oregon? James McKenzie's daughter had no idea how that information would be used now, did she? Dear brother, you gave me the date and time for their departure. Do you really believe Julie will believe you had no idea how that knowledge would be used? Do you forget...you're an Armestead? She won't if she ever learned the truth."

"Wha...what do you want of me, Robert?

"Just be there for the family but mostly for me after Julie becomes your wife. That is all I ask...brother."

Neville slowly pushed himself up and staggered to the door. Without saying a word, he left. Robert flashed a toothy grin. He knew he had his brother by his balls. Now, to take care of that insignificant little gnat, Geoff.

*****************

Geoff jumped over the transom of the Valhalla as the starboard side slid against the dock. Quickly securing the aft line, he ran forward as Jenny tossed him the bow line. Once secured, Jenny extended the gang plank and stomped onto the dock.

Geoff gazed up into the brilliant blue eyes of his old friend and said, "I can never thank you enough, Jenny, for all you've done for the family...for me. You know you're in it up to your squinty eye balls now. Robert's not going to let this go. He wants me out of the way and, once he discovers you helped me, your life won't be worth anymore than that rotgut you sell under the counter."

Jenny roared as he laughed at the good natured insult. "Don't worry, the likes of Bobby Armestead don't worry me none. Just you be careful. Those two goons won't be the last. What are you going to do about your parents?"

"Don't know yet, Jen. We have their confessions on tape but that doesn't mean shit now! But, Bobby is going to pay! I promise you."

"Just don't forget me," said Jenny, a grim determined look on his face.

"I won't," said Geoff, "I won't forget," and embraced the big man.

As the gun metal gray Lexus roadster sped along the highway, Geoff called Sarah at the hospital.

"Sarah!"

Relief sounded in her voice as Sarah said, "Geoff, I was worried. We couldn't get hold of you yesterday. Julie didn't know where you were and you weren't answering your phone. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, everything is fine. How about you and Becky?"

"We're good. We can't wait to see you though."

"I know Sarah, I can't wait either. In fact, can you get some time off? Say the rest of the week?"

"I can try, why?"

"I thought we might take a trip up the coast, you, me and Becky."

"I'm sorry Geoff, but Becky's gone for the week. She is staying with some of her girl friends and their parents in San Francisco until Saturday. She left this morning. That's why she was upset she couldn't see you yesterday."

"I understand. I'm disappointed as well but we have the rest of our lives to catch up. Call me if you can get the time off. I'm heading home to pack."

"Okay, call you in a bit."

As Geoff drove up to the house, he saw Julie's Mustang in the circular drive. Smiling, he jumped out of the roadster and ran up the steps to the giant double teak doors. Stepping into the foyer, he shouted, "Jules?"

"In here!" she cried out, from their father's office.

"Neville. How are you?" Geoff asked, surprised to see the man standing next to Jules.

"I'm...," Neville didn't finish his sentence before Julie interrupted.

"Geoff, we have something to tell you, something terrible. Please, I need you to listen before you do anything rash...promise me?

You must promise me."

Geoff looked at Julie then turned his gaze toward Neville. He suspected what they were about to tell him but decided to allow Julie to continue.

"Jules, I love you but I won't promise anything, I can't promise you something I may have no control over."

Struggling to say the words, Julie looked up, tears in her eyes.

"We think...we believe Robert may have..."

"Had the Annabella sunk causing the death of mom and dad?" Geoff finished her statement.

Julie could only stare in shock. Neville looked at Geoff with respect. He wasn't surprised Geoff may have already figured out what happened to the Annabella. Before either could speak, Geoff continued.

"I had suspicions from the beginning. Dad and mom were too good at sailing not to weather a sudden storm. I mean, come on Julie, he'd already survived worse conditions at sea than that shit excuse for a storm. Another thing, was the lack of debris from any wreckage. If the sloop had broken up, there would have been a lot more wreckage washed ashore. Other than a few pieces of debris, the only thing that washed ashore was the Little Mouse."

That meant the boat went down fast. The only thing that could do that would be a shaped charge which would blow a hole in the hull. That meant someone knew Dad was sailing that day and that the possibility of a storm hitting the coast. What I can't understand, is why? Why would someone need to have mom and dad out of the way?"

"Since I was gone for the past seven years, that left you Julie. And, you were marrying Neville, an Armestead. With that, Geoff glared at Neville. Your brother is behind all this. I have a taped confession by two of his hired thugs. They were the same ones that planted the explosive in accordance with your brother's exact instructions. He told them how, where and when to set the timer. And, he sent them after me. Unfortunately for them, they found me."

Neville's eyes widened with disbelief. He knew the two men, Frank Manelli and Vic Silverman. They were one of the many reasons he left the estate. Robert was using them as muscle against those that interfered with his plans and, until now, no one could stand up to them.

"Uh...where are they, how did you...?" Confused, Neville could only stare at the lean young man standing in front of him.

"Don't ask. Let's just say they're no longer a problem. Neville, understand something. I'm not going to the authorities with any of this. Your brother's actions made this personal. Now, tell me how you are involved."

Julie saw the look in her brother's eyes and feared for the man she loved. "Geoff, Neville would have never been involved in anything like this. Dad and Mom liked and respected Neville. He could never have done anything that would have harmed them."

Geoff stared at Neville as Julie desperately tried to convince him of Neville's innocence. He could see the anguish in the man's face. Neville closed his eyes and sighed.

"Julie, please let me speak." Neville looked into Geoff's hardened eyes and quietly said, "I was the one who told Robert your parents were sailing to Oregon. I told him the day and the time they were going to leave."

Geoff heard his sister gasp and then scream, "No, no...dear god, no!" She ran out of the office as Neville remained, his head hanging down. Geoff remained silent as he studied the man before him then said...

"You never knew what he was going to do, did you?" It was more of a statement than a question.

Neville looked up, "No. I knew Robert had visions of grandeur and desired power, but I had no idea the lengths he would go to achieve his desires. Now, I know he would and why."

Geoff waited as Neville sat down. "My brother has become my grandfather, Nathanial. It was Nathanial's wish to own the water rights to the valley, therefore, the city. However, your father already owned the land that would give him that power. Many times, my grandfather tried to buy out your father without success and dear old granddad hated failure."

"After Robert's attempted rape of Sarah and Grandfather's success in covering it up, I broke away from my family, or rather they threw me out, and your father took me in. Mr. McKenzie and I talked about Nathanial's attempts to gain possession of the land, and told me his reasons for not selling the property. Mr. McKenzie knew my grandfather would ultimately control the valley and would squeeze the townsfolk dry. What Nathanial and Robert never realized, your father had already sold the water rights to the city of Moon Key Bay. Even if they had managed to acquire the land, the city had complete ownership and control of the water and mineral rights to it. Mr. McKenzie had made sure of it."

His face ragged and despondent, Neville whispered, "I should have told Robert, the moment your father confided in me. It may have saved your parents life."

"Too late for that now," said Geoff, steel in his voice. "What are you going to do about Julie?"

Neville shook his head and said, "I don't know. I love her more than she will ever know but I understand her feeling I betrayed her family. Your father asked if Julie and I might be interested in sailing to Oregon with them but I begged off because of prior commitments and Julie wanted to stay with me.

Later that day, while parking my car Robert saw me and asked how everything was with Julie and the McKenzie's. I told Robert everything was fine between me and your sister. I told him how Mr. McKenzie and his wife were sailing for Oregon but because of other commitments, we couldn't make the trip with them. Robert merely shrugged and said, 'Maybe next time.' That was it. He displayed no further interested and walked off."

"After the Annabella went missing, I went to see Robert and ask him to allow the company helicopter to assist in the search. The door to the study was open and I saw him with Frank Manelli and Victor Silverman. I knew the two men were from Detroit and now worked for my brother. All three were involved in a heated discussion but when Robert saw me approach he shook his head and shut the door. I went ahead and grabbed the company pilot and, together, we helped search for the Annabella. Later, I started having a bad feeling about those two men, my brother and your parents."

"Earlier today and before you returned, Robert ordered me to the mansion. He reminded me of my family loyalties then said I was to influence Julie regarding selling the land. For some reason, Robert had dismissed you entirely. He believed Julie would have power of attorney over the estate. When I disagreed, he said my hands were as bloody as his since I gave him the information he needed concerning the Annabella."

"That was when I knew for sure he was responsible. That is why I decided to confess to Julie and you. I wasn't going to allow Robert to blackmail me into betraying the two of you. I'm so very sorry, Geoff. Please understand I was never a part of his schemes."

Geoff stared at the tormented man and nodded. "Neville, I thank you for coming forward and for your honesty. I know this was hard to do. Believe me when I say, I do not hold you responsible for my parents death. That belongs solely on your brother. The two men that carried out his orders, well, they have learned the error of their ways and are truly repentant."

He moved to Neville and held out his right hand. Neville stared at him taking the offered hand and they shook. Geoff turned to a noise from the doorway and saw his sister watching, tears in her eyes. Geoff nodded his understanding that she had heard Neville's story. Neville turned and saw Julie and whispered, "I am so, so very sorry."

Julie sobbed and ran into his arms, her head pressed tightly against his chest.

Geoff turned and left the office, leaving the two and planned his next move. First, he still needed to drive to Oregon and visit with an old friend of his dad's.

********************

"What the hell's going on down there Armestead? Why haven't I heard from Manelli and why do you need some more of my guys?" Michael Provinzano growled into the phone angry that two of his best men had disappeared. Anytime, anybody in his organization vanished, they were either eating dirt or in a witness protection program. Manelli would cut his mother's throat before he'd turn state's evidence. Which meant both Manelli and Silverman were no longer improving their tans and enjoying California pussy.

muirmadra
muirmadra
543 Followers