The Rivers All Run Dry

Story Info
A Devil of a story.
1.3k words
4.26
15.3k
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
TxRad
TxRad
5,915 Followers

For the first time in the history of the Earth he was warm. The sun was a red bloated ball on the far horizon. Without the ozone and radiation belts the solar radiation soaked into his old bones. The hideous Beast of the six's shifted in his seat of power.

With a sigh he lifted his eyes and looked at the velvet blackness of space. The cold emptiness chilled him. The far stars were diamond bright points that winked and taunted him. He was tied to this ball of rock and dirt by bonds beyond even his strength to break.

He dropped his eyes back to the world below. Gone was the green and blue that he had loved to hate so. Now there was barren rock and dirt. The world was back to the way it had been when he first came into being.

Even the pitiful creatures were gone. The animals and plants had never mattered but then man had appeared. He sighed again. Man had been fun in a contemptible way. They were so far beneath him but then again they had something he needed.

They had a spirit and a freedom that was scary even to someone who had never known fear. Why had he allowed them to breed and multiply? To this day he didn't have a clear answer to that one. The closest he ever came was to say he was lonely but that wasn't totally true.

He was his own best company but he did get bored. That had to be it; he needed something to break the monotony, something to have fun with. They should have worshipped him and had at first. It was his fault they quit. That and the one man he had trusted.

Trust! Now there was a crime if there ever had been one. One lowly man had undone the great betrayer. He should have known better than to trust anyone or anything. That one slip had been his undoing.

Of course it had taken a hundred thousand years but what did that matter. One man started it and an errant mutation had finished it. One man had created a good deity to balance out his evil. The masses had clung to it like a life ring in the chaos of their lives.

Creating chaos was his job. I had been his job since the Universe began. It was still his job. He lifted his hands and made a swirling jester above his head. The fabric of time and space rippled and stretched only to snap right back into shape.

The Beast gave a great deep sigh and the winds of space twisted and scattered before his breath. Without man to show how things were in the long run, it was all empty gestures. To his perception it all snapped back far to quickly.

Rising from his seat of power, the Beast made mad whirlwinds with both arms and threw lightning and balls of fire far and wide. Large chunks of desert dry continents turned to dust and mountains fell like anthills. There was not a sound and the dust hung in curtains.

Shaking his head the Beast sat back down. It was to late for theatrics like that. There was no one left to awe. There was no one and nothing but he and a big ball of rock and dirt. He could level the surface to a perfectly smooth sphere and it wouldn't matter.

It did feel good to let off steam though. He had held it in since the early days of man. The last time he had really let his temper loose the dinosaurs had disappeared. Those big lumbering giants made him smile. They were more to his scale.

Man was puny and tiny. Man's body was weak and so easily broken. Man's spirit and mind were the problem. His spirit was strong and flexible. Hs mind was quick and agile, always looking for answers to questions that hadn't even been asked.

Watching man jump through the hoops of the Beast's making had been great fun. Fear, hatred, pestilent, wars. Even religious wars, those were the most fun. He had even helped to create other religions with just that in mind.

If they liked and worshiped the good deities, then they could fight in his names. They could break all the little rules that they had set for themselves. He loved the mental turmoil that created. Man was a walking contradiction. He loved on the one hand and hated on the other.

Hating himself was man's biggest weakness. He had learned fear and mistrust early from the Beast and then added his own hates and mistrusts on top of that. Lying, cheating, bigotry, murder, and mayhem, the list was endless. They all kept man bottled up.

Then it happened. Over a few hundred generations it all changed. Man mutated in a soup, of his own making. Nuclear war over religion and oil had basted man in the soft glow of radiation. The Beast had grinned and laughed. The planet had rocked with earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

It had taken man a couple thousand years to resurrect his civilization. But it was different this time. At first the Beast had been confused. There were no wars. There was no distrust. Everyone was at peace and tranquility ruled.

Even the nudges and pokes he made were taken in stride as answers were found and measures were taken to protect everyone on Earth. This was unheard of. The haves always used the have not's. Someone was always sacrificed in one way or another.

This angered the Beast and he decided to do away with man. He couldn't tolerate the way the new man reacted. Not worshiping him was one thing but ignoring him and working against him was something altogether different. A little nudge to the heart of the sun would fix everything.

Now suns are big even on the Beast's scale and are slow in their reaction. Man had time to plan and to implement that plan. The Beast tried everything to spoil the plan but nothing worked. They opposed him at every step and even got ahead of him at one point.

How that happened was an answer that staggered the Prince of Darkness to his core. Man was now using all of his massive brain, not the lowly ten percent of the past. They had mental powers that were unimaginable and far beyond him.

With a sigh, he lifted his eyes to heaven again. Ten brilliant stars in a perfect triangular formation taunted him even more than any of the others. Man was on his way somewhere else and he had taken everything with him. Plants, animals, water, ice, and air, it was all gone.

The Beast had hardly noticed anything amiss until he realized that all the rivers were dry. At first he thought it was the increasing heat. The heat had him lethargic and lazy. Then he had noticed the huge ships in orbit. He was slow and sluggish as he tried to bring them down.

As he gestured, everything disappeared and then the ships lit up with atomic fire and sailed away. Their shields held back his powers as they made their escape.

Now he was alone, all alone and truly bored, now that man was gone. He hadn't realized that he would miss them. A single tear rolled down his ruddy rough cheek and fell to the side of the mountain. It made a flood in the dust as it cascaded downward.

The Devil didn't notice the flickering spark in the muddy soup of the tear as it rolled along the river channel at the base of the mountain. That tiny spark of life went unnoticed for now but it would come back to haunt him.

TxRad
TxRad
5,915 Followers