The Rules I Use for Writing

Story Info
The advice I wish I had received.
1.7k words
4.62
10.5k
23
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PulpWyatt
PulpWyatt
290 Followers

This is the advice I wish I had received when I started writing erotic stories. It's not universal, but if you're a beginning writer I believe you will do better to keep these tips in mind.

-Sex Should Show Character-

A good sex scene is more than just a sex act described. Aside from being pleasurable to imagine, it also incorporates characters' personalities and relationship, and it even helps to define them a little.

In Gladiatrix, by Brianna_Tease, the titular protagonist wins a gladiatrix match and is rewarded with a massage given by her choice out of nine men. When the masseur offers to please her more intimately, she is hesitant at first. Then she grows comfortable with having a soft-handed hunk of a man all to herself, and eventually she orders him to bring her to multiple orgasms. This sex scene is more than just sex. It shows the gladiatrix getting accustomed to sex as a reward, getting over her shyness and also learning the perks of her new lifestyle.

Whenever I write sex scenes, I make sure that the characters' words, body language and even their choice of sex acts reflect their relationship. In my story Her Finest Steal, when a female thief manages to tie down an adventurer-prince and get the key to his chastity cage, she doesn't immediately have sex with him. She pauses to brag about how she outsmarted the prince, she gushes about how pretty and valuable he is, then finally rides him with no foreplay. That way, the scene is more than just sex. It's also a scene where a thief congratulates herself for her latest steal, and it shows that she's bowled over by what she's achieved. Her behavior makes the scene distinct.

-Sex Should Advance the Plot-

An erotic story is a kind of romance story, and in any romance story the characters and their feelings drive the plot. And since sex is often an expression of romantic feeling, it should coincide with turning points in the plot or, better yet, drive the plot.

For example, in the first chapter of Taiyakisoba's story Monsterboy Quest, the main character, a retired knightess on a quest from her cloister, revels in the freedom of trekking through the wilds, and when a monster boy deals her a glancing blow with his aphrodisiac venom, she pins him down and ravishes him with suspicious verve. Not only is it a fun scene to read, it's also a clear sign that the knightess was a poor fit for monastic life and her wanderlust—and regular lust—are still potent.

In reality, of course, people have sex even when it doesn't represent a turning point in their character arcs. But in a story, sexual encounters like that should happen offscreen, because they don't contribute to the plot or characterization.

-Outline The Whole Story, Then Write the Important Parts First-

This is the most important lesson I've learned.

It's most intuitive to start writing story at the beginning, write everything in order and write the ending last. But I find that it's better to write the scenes you're most excited about first, then write the connective tissue between them. That way, you'll get your best scenes out before inspiration fades, and you'll have a better sense of what the remaining scenes should look like. This makes editing easier.

For example, in my story A Symbolic Message, I wrote character bios first, then a general plot, then I wrote some exchanges between the two main characters just to get a feel for how they would play off each other. A lot of this dialogue didn't make the final cut. Next, I wrote a plot synopsis that explained what happened in each scene and why it was important. The first draft of the synopsis looked something like this:

Opening lines to set the tone.

Mel gets off a plane. Establish that he's new in this setting and he's disgusted by the poverty he sees.

He meets the female lead. They form a team. Establish him as brash and easily offended. Establish her as annoyed with him, but patient with him.

They go to the nightclub. He whores himself out. She gets information.

And so on. I went through the skeleton a few times, touching things up, adding details and character beats and writing down what the themes of the story were. Then, and only then, I started writing scenes in full prose. I started with the climactic sex scene, then the scene where the two leads meet, then the opening scene. If I had written the scenes in chronological order, the work would have been slower, more confusing and less engaging.

There's another advantage to writing scenes out of order: whenever I got a kinky idea, I would find a place where I could write it into the story and use it to make the world feel more real. For example, the story was already mostly finished when I came up with the scene where a woman takes her blindfolded boyfriend to be transformed into a monster boy, with him none the wiser. I used that scene to show how, in a world that doesn't value male autonomy, even kind-hearted women will take away men's free will. If I hadn't written a plot synopsis first, I wouldn't have known where to put that scene.

By writing your story in whatever order is easiest, you make the project quicker and more fun. And by starting with a scene-by-scene plot synopsis, you make it easier to make changes and stay on track. The final product will come out more fully realized.

-Examine Your Characters and Ask 'Why'-

If you want a character to feel grounded and coherent, you need to look at every action she takes and ask, 'Why is she doing this?' Here's an example.

Maryanka doesn't like it when her sister smokes. Why? Because she thinks people shouldn't smoke. Why? Because smoking is bad for you. Why does she care what someone else does with her own body? Because Maryanka cares about other people's health, even at the expense of instant gratification. Why? Because other people's lives matter to her.

In the above example, I took something completely mundane—a woman who doesn't like smoking—and connected it to her sense of compassion and her valuing of human health. When building a character, you can start with core values (she feels compassion for others and values human health) and decide what action she takes based on those values (she dislikes smoking). I find it's easier to go the other way. I start by asking myself, 'what does the plot demand this character do?' and then, 'What set of proclivities and values would lead her to do these things?' and I build out her personality and backstory from there. If the plot demands that she do things no consistent human would do, I change the plot.

Whichever approach you take, you'll find it easier to decide what a character will do in a given situation if you are in touch with the core tenets of her personality.

-Examine Your Setting and Ask 'Why'-

The same way a character's actions need to tie into her nature and her deepest convictions, keep in mind that entire societies are products of their history and foundational ideas. Here's an example:

In my home state of Colorado, people drive cars even in densely populated places, and public transport is thinly spread. Why? Because Coloradans prefer cars to busses. Why? Because Coloradans are more comfortable controlling the vehicle they're riding in. Why? Because the state has a highly individualistic culture. Why? Because it was settled by pioneers who considered themselves independent, did not rely on infrastructure and grew their own food, and more recent migrants have picked up that ethos to some extent. Why was the place settled by pioneers and not feudal-style lords or big corporations? Because the Homestead Act determined that the western plains would be settled by individual families. Why? Because in American culture frowns on property that isn't earned through one's own labor. Why? Because the people who settled America from Europe were steeped in the philosophy of John Locke and other 18th-century enlightenment philosophers who emphasized self-ownership.

I don't always take my own advice, but when I do, I get a distinct yet consistent world. This is especially important for matriarchal settings. It's common for a writer to give a matriarchal setting no defining features except the fact that it's matriarchal. This is a mistake, because societies are defined by many things, and which sex is dominant is only one of those factors. Speaking of which...

-Write Matriarchies That Make Sense-

This is especially significant to me, since I write and enjoy stories of female domination, and also because many matriarchal settings I read are unrealistic.

The easiest way to write a matriarchy is to take a patriarchal society, flip the roles and exaggerate them. Settings written this way feel shallow and aren't true to human nature. They ignore the fact that, no matter how humans organize themselves, there are a few differences between men and women that stay the same, such as:

Women can bear children and men can't. When society is hard-pressed to produce more children, women are more valuable than men.

Only Women can breastfeed babies.

A man can pass on his genes by impregnating women, then abandoning them, but women can't pass on their genes without investing time and effort into it.

Men are physically stronger but naturally die younger.

There are also psychological differences between men and women. Although every individual is different, there are some psychological traits that the average man and the average woman exhibit to very different degrees. 'The Truth About Sex Differences' by Psychology Today, provides good examples of this. According to that article, females more often exhibit conformity, verbal ability, empathy, depression and preference for social status in a mate, and more males show impulsivity, risk-taking, physical aggression and task-oriented leadership. Crucially, we know these differences are not products of social conditioning, because they crop up even in completely egalitarian societies. That means these differences would still be present in a matriarchy.

In conclusion, women rule men differently than men rule women, so when you write a matriarchal society, do your research and think carefully about exactly what shape it would take.

Those are the most important things I've learned while writing. I hope you find it helpful.

PulpWyatt
PulpWyatt
290 Followers
Please rate this story
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
6 Comments
natwanatwaabout 1 year ago

Most of your general points about writing seemed like good advice, but the part about realism in creating matriarchies seemed more like soapbox preaching than actual good advice. I suspect that the psychological "facts" that you cite about real world women are a bit less clear cut than what you stated, but I'm not going to enter into a discussion about that. The thing is that while things being realistic under your definition, i.e things being based on how they are in real life, may be relevant in a story set in our present day world or in our past, it's much less relevant in a Fantasy or a Science Fiction story. Because the fact is that the large majority of fictional matriarchies will appear in SF- or Fantasy-themed stories

Fantasy stories take place in a world/place where(at least for most of those kinds of stories) magic is real and can make a difference to the person or to that world/place. Although it's of course up to the one who've created that story to decide how much effect the presence of magic has on that world, it's clear that the presence on magic could certainly lead to differences compared to our world both in how men and women are and how they relate to one another.Of course the physical definition of women having breasts and other particular kinds of physical equipment and giving birth to children would still hold true in a Fantasy story.But, apart from that, there is nothing that says the women in that world have to be the same way as women in our world and claiming otherwise, as you seem to do, seems quite silly, like claiming women in all possible worlds, including imaginary ones, would always be like they are in this one.

Most Fantasy stories also take place in a world different from this one and although they don't necessarily explicitly take place in a universe other than this one, the stories usually at least make that a viable possibility. If your story doesn't take place in our universe , there's no reason why the laws of the universe should be the same as for our universe, since the way our universe and world is due to a particular specific turn of events which, at least in theory, could have turned out differently. This of course goes for how men and women are in this world and the relationship between them. This also goes for non-fantasy stories, if they are placed in a different universe, there's no reason why there can't be at least some differences between the women in that universe and women in ours, including some physical and or/psychological differences, since it's a different universe, that don't necessarily have the same laws as ours.

As for SF stories, I guess it depends a bit on how hard the SF is and how technologically advanced the civilization or society in question. But if the story is about a highly technologically advanced civilization, for instance a civilization that is as advanced technologically compared to current Earth technologically as our current technology is compared to 19th century technology, it's not that hard to imagine that such a technology could be advanced enough to bring about clear changes in the current physical differences between men and women and(whether directly or indirectly) any mental or emotional differences between men and women. I mea,n technological advances have brough about big changes in many areas in just a couple of hundred years. So it's not difficult to imagine that a civilization technologically advanced enough could eventually lead to women, men and society in general, eventually being quite different from how things are now. And the more advanced the civilization in question is, the more easy it is to imagine this leading to quite drastical changes.

And if you also bring aliens and Fantasy species/races into the picture, there's even less reason for making their women more like women of our world in order to make them realistic.

Also, tbh, I don't really think "realism" in your sense of the world, is high on the list on most people's order of priorities when reading erotica and I don't think it should be either There are plenty of scenarios used in erotica that you'd hardly, if ever, would find in real life and which surely wouldn't fit in with your definition of realistic. Fantasy stories are, by definition, not "realistic" anyway and making monstergirls a major part of the story, as they are in many of your stories is, in any normal definition of that world, much less "realistic" than the makeup of each gender and the gender roles being significantly different from how they are in our world. I see the importance of the story and the world of the story having sufficient internal consistency and logic and making the main characters psychologically deep enough to be believable to the reader. But that isn't really related to what you define as "realism" and claiming, as you seem to do, that any fictional societies have to be strongly based on the pysychological and physical make-up of the women in our world, seem to me to be a sign of a strong lack of or failure of imagination on your part rather than a sign of a strong sense of realism.

PulpWyattPulpWyattover 4 years agoAuthor
Meaning

The key to meaningful sex scenes is understanding your characters' motivations. Maybe someone wants sex just to avoid being virgin-shamed. Maybe they want to prove they love their partner. Maybe they're testing the partner. Maybe it's a power play. Or maybe the character is just satisfying curiosity. Sometimes, people do have sex just to have sex, but I believe the writer shouldn't describe those encounters because they don't add to the plot or characterization.

Sex in an erotica story is like combat in an action story, so it's useful to look at action scenes in movies for a comparison.

When Indiana Jones sneaks through a Mesoamerican temple, he keeps his cool even as the hazards kill his companions and almost kill him too. The writer knew that Indy was experienced, so he wrote the scene so that Indy never expresses surprise. Consequently, the scene serves as an introduction to our main character with only minimal dialogue.

In The Last Jedi, when Rey and Kylo Ren fight back to back, the scene is important because of *why* they're fighting. Kylo is finally rejecting his exploitative father figure, while Rey is gambling on Kylo's feelings for her in a way that Luke, having lost his idealism, would never approve of. The scene shows all of this, even though Kylo and Rey barely talk until the fight is over. If the writer hadn't considered these characters' feelings toward each other, he wouldn't have bothered to show Kylo sparing Rey and running through Snoke, nor Rey giving Kylo the "please don't do this" face as he considers executing her. The fight would have been a simple ambush-and-escape scene, and all that plot would have had to happen in dialogue.

In combat, the fighters generally don't know each other, and not everyone can survive. But sex is different. It's intimate, and a lot of its appeal stems from the participants' relationship, so in some ways erotica writers have an easier job.

For example, if a deeply suspicious woman lets her girlfriend have anal sex with her for the first time, that shows that she has come to trust her. If the writer establishes the woman as guarded and fearful, and establishes anal sex as something she's leery of, then the payoff in the sex scene can happen almost without words.

Here's another example: A submissive male is licking his mistress' feet while she reads. He notices her not reacting to what he does, and he starts doing provocative things like slurping loudly or nibbling her toes. She scowls at him, yanks his leash and causes considerable pain. She sees his reaction, cringes, gently sets down her book and strokes his hair until he feels better. Then, with a guilty look on her face, she sits back and enjoys his tongue with no distractions.

That scene has no dialogue, but it tells a story: she doesn't pay attention to him, he wants to be appreciated, he acts out, she punishes him, but then realizes she's been disrespectful of his service, puts away her book and enjoys him to the fullest.

The motivations and the plot developments don't have to be anything earth-shattering. But if you consider what the characters are thinking and what every sex act means to them, the readers will be sucked in and remember it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Meaning

What's your advice for writers who need the sex to mean more then pleasure but have a hard time getting it to not seem like a 15 year old wrote it.

yowseryowseralmost 5 years ago
Sensible

Good suggestions. There is more than one way to do things, and the results can vary, but even the perfect 'system' can get out of whack. Outlining helps discipline, but my only caveat to your 'planning ahead' part is sometimes you begin something, the characters develop seemingly on their own, and you end up with a vastly different tale than the one you started, often with good results. How did that happen? I think the writer needs to be aware, and yet also be opportunistic. I applaud some daring (usually a part of good stories) but also know the risks don't always work out. So that's why you keep writing...

Thanks, good thoughts.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Good Advice!

I wish someone would make a list of commonly misused words. If I read one more time about "taught" muscles I'll puke! Even the edited pieces have these elementary mistakes.

I don't know about you others, maybe you're thinking too hard about holding and scrolling with one hand while jacking off with the other?

R.

Show More
Share this Story

Similar Stories

Shy Wife Fucks Stranger for Husband A modest wife enjoys fulfilling her husband's fantasies.in Loving Wives
Revenge of the Nerd: Bitch Sister Nerd uses formula to make his sister his submissive slut.in Mind Control
Blackmailed: Cheerleader's Cherry A Principal disciplines a stuck-up hot bitch cheerleader.in NonConsent/Reluctance
The Busty Babysitter John has it bad for his top heavy young babysitter.in NonConsent/Reluctance
A Beginner's Guide to Dominating her First time Topping: how to start off right.in How To
More Stories