The Saga of Tythoros Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Quickly, Tythoros reached down to grab a handful of dirt, which he then threw at the hippalectryon's face. The attack was not enough to harm the beast, but it was enough to distract it. The hippalectryon let out an enraged crow before turning on Tythoros, who swiftly ran further from the river to evade those powerful hooves.

The hippalectryon was preparing to ram into Tythoros when it whinnied in pain. Sidrophus had thrown a rock that successfully hit the monster on its white, feathered flank. The strange horse then turned to attack the prince, who outmaneuvered the beast until Tythoros threw a fallen branch to distract it yet again.

In this way, Tythoros and Sidrophus worked together to divide the monster's attention, stalling for time as Callioa searched through her companions' gear. Tythoros' spear was clearly visible, as were Sidrophus' bow and quiver, but she was in search of a far more powerful weapon.

"Tythoros!" shouted Callioa, finally drawing the hippalectryon's attention. She attempted to throw a gleaming golden object toward him, which the monster then leaped up to catch with its teeth in midair.

"NO!" Tythoros attempted to retrieve Athena's flute, but he was forced back by the hippalectryon's bucking legs and their sharp talons.

The powerful creature attempted to eat the godly flute, but its teeth ached in their attempt to break the unyielding gold. Further pained and enraged, the strange horse reared its head and threw Athena's gift into the churning river. What happened to it afterward is a story for another day.

Tythoros looked on as the divine flute was lost to the waters and a powerful rage overtook him. He charged toward the beast with a great roar, but the hippalectryon was too quick. The strange horse reared up and knocked Tythoros back with a hoof to his chest.

The beast moved to kill the stunned Tythoros, but Sidrophus had retrieved his bow. He launched an arrow that embedded itself within the horse's flank. The hippalectryon was injured, but raw hatred obscured the pain. With a terrible crow, it moved to trample Sidrophus.

The creature ran toward Sidrophus too quickly for the prince to nock another arrow, but Callioa was ready. She had tied the rope into a lasso that she threw toward the beast's approaching head. Her aim was true and the horse's neck was gripped tightly by the rope.

Callioa fought to keep the hippalectryon restrained, though the beast fought with all its strength to escape the yoke. The monster moved erratically and flapped its enormous wings, desperately trying to gain an advantage, yet Callioa stood firm. The rope, however, was fraying quickly.

Finally, with a loud neigh, the horse stood on its hind talons to pull hard on the rope. But Tythoros had recovered his strength. With a great leap, he mounted the unsuspecting monster's back just as the lasso snapped.

Though Tythoros was safe from the hippalectryon's wings, teeth, and dangerous legs, the creature could still attempt to throw him off. The hippalectryon's frantic bucking was not nearly enough to throw its hostile cargo, but it was enough to distract Tythoros from landing a fatal blow. The two opponents were at a violent stalemate, though it was a temporary one.

Sidrophus did not dare fire an arrow while the risk of injuring his friend was so great, so he instead reached for Tythoros' spear.

"Tythoros!" he called out. In the next moment, Sidrophus tossed the spear to his friend. Tythoros caught the shaft with one hand and buried its blade into the monster's neck. The hippalectryon crowed and bucked in the throes of death until finally, gradually, it fell to the ground.

Tythoros freed his leg from underneath the beastly carcass. He was covered in the hippalectryon's crimson blood, and his face showed incredible pain. "Well done," he panted. "Are you both unhurt?"

"We both appear to be fine," said Sidrophus. "What of yourself?"

"Relieved to hear of your safety," replied Tythoros, his eyes brimming with tears. "But I fear that we have failed in our mission. We were blessed with a gift from grey-eyed Athena herself, and it is now gone! We were granted help from the great daughter of Zeus, and it slipped through our fingers! How could we possibly succeed in our quest after squandering such good fortune? How could mighty Athena forgive such negligence?"

Callioa was the first to step forward. "You sit there, bathed in the blood of a mad hippalectryon that took us completely by surprise, and you dare to speak as if we are helpless without that flute? Though it would have served us well in our journey, we did not need it to kill this monster and we will not need it to kill Dusedre!"

"We may yet find a way to kill Dusedre within our mortal means," said Sidrophus. "However, we should still attempt an apology to the goddess Athena. Perhaps we could offer this creature as a sacrifice, for it is a strong and healthy beast with fresh and succulent meat on its bones."

Tythoros took a moment to gather his wits before standing. "My friends," he said, "you speak wisely. Let us quickly gather a fire and make an offering to Athena the defender. Let us pray for her forgiveness and continued help."

And so it was done. Athena received the offering and the prayers, though they were ill compensation for such a treasure lost. Nevertheless, her loathing for Dusedre went unabated, and so Tythoros' prayers for forgiveness were granted.

***

The story will continue shortly. In the meantime, I look forward to your comments and feedback.

Thank you for reading, and special thanks to my returning editor, Minx Black.

12