The Scared Mate

Story Info
An unexpected discovery.
8.8k words
4.49
26.2k
72
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A/N: I want to write this story a little differently than my last two. I'm hoping to use an editor. So if anyone is interested please let me know. Thanks, Sherry.

*****

Wyatt

The coffee wasn't strong enough. Wyatt glanced at his phone, it was 11 pm, he wasn't ready to leave the diner, but if he stayed much longer he might risk falling asleep at the wheel. A yawn escaped his mouth and he raised his hand to cover it.

"Are we boring you?" Bridget asked.

"You could never bore me," Wyatt replied. "But I've got a two hour drive back. I should get going."

Wyatt pulled out his wallet and tossed some bills on the table.

"Stay a little longer," Bridget said. "You can even stay the night."

A low growl came from Eric. Bridget leaned back in the booth and poked him in the stomach with her elbow. Wyatt shook his head and stood up. It was strange enough for an Alpha to hang out this late of another pack's territory, staying the night without official business would just be straight up bizarre.

Bridget pulled herself out of the booth and wrapped her arms around Wyatt's neck. He looked at her mate sensing how hard Eric was trying to keep his cool over this small interaction. Wyatt hugged her back and then pulled away, but she rested her hands on his shoulders.

"Tell my family I miss them," Bridget said.

Eric stood up and put his arms around Bridget's waist. She seemed to get the hint and let go of Wyatt. He wished she would be a little more respectful of Eric, especially since he permitted these social visits between them. Wyatt would have preferred dinner with just Bridget, but understood why Eric didn't want to leave her alone with an unmated wolf, and an Alpha from another pack at that.

"Maybe next time we do this you can bring a date?" Eric asked.

Bridget turned around and gave her mate a playful smack.

"What?" Eric asked.

"Wyatt is waiting for his mate," Bridget said.

"Wyatt is closer to thirty than twenty, it's about time he thought of just settling down," Eric replied.

Wyatt ran his hands through his light brown hair. He was in no mood to hear a lecture from the other Alpha. He looked at the couple standing in front of him. Eric's blond hair and blue eyes contrasted Bridget's jet black locks. A playful gleam crossed her hazel eyes and Wyatt couldn't help but think how they would have complimented his green ones. The familiar pang of jealousy ran through him. One he felt whenever the three of them were together. Wyatt wished Bridget were his. He forced the thoughts away, not wanting to give Eric any reason to hate him.

"Maybe it's time you two stopped talking about Wyatt like he isn't in front of you." Wyatt flashed his smile at the couple before turning to walk out of the diner.

"We're just concerned about you," Eric said. "You've been Alpha for eight years, it's hard enough without a Luna, but if you don't produce an heir someone may challenge your authority."

"I don't see you two rushing to have children," Wyatt said.

"But my packs knows it's a possibility," Eric said. "Yours doesn't."

"Don't say that," Bridget interrupted. "He deserves to find his one true love."

"What if she's dead?" Eric asked. "Plenty of unmated wolves have found happiness together."

"What if she's not dead and then shows up once Wyatt has children with another woman?" What sort of situation would that put him in?"

Wyatt zoned them out and started walking towards the exit. They weren't saying anything he hadn't already thought of, but the truth was the only woman who ever interested him was happily bickering behind him with her mate.

The second he opened the door an over powering scent smacked him in the face, drawing him out of his thoughts. It was unlike anything he'd ever smelled before, all of his favorite aromas swirled into one. His brain tried to focus on just one, but it was too difficult.

"Do you guys smell that?"

"What?" Bridget asked. "Maple syrup?"

There was a hint of that.

"All I can smell is the garbage." Eric gave the dumpster a kick as they walked by.

Wyatt looked at the forest beyond the parking lot. Even though it was pitch black he saw the trees rustle a little more than would be caused by just the wind. He continued to scan the area when Eric appeared right next to him, spreading his arms to block Bridget.

"I smell it now," Eric said. "There's a rouge on my territory."

"We're in neutral ground," Bridget reminded him.

Wyatt wished they would both shut up. They continued to argue about property lines while the rustling grew closer. Wyatt walked to the tree line as the rustling came closer. A small figure burst from the woods into the parking lot. They collapsed on the ground, Wyatt took off running while Eric let out growl. Wyatt was about ten feet away when the small person lifted their head, locking eyes with Wyatt. He stopped dead in his tracks and felt like his heart was going to burst through his chest. One word ran through his mind. Mate.

Before Wyatt could react Eric sped by him in a flash. The blond Alpha reached the small wolf first. He grabbed her by the shoulders and lifted her up.

"What are you doing here rouge?" Eric yelled.

Now it was Wyatt's turn to growl. He sped forward and pushed Eric away from the girl. Surprise was on Wyatt's size and the other Alpha tumbled to the ground. Wyatt reached out and grabbed on to his mate, keeping her upright. The second his hands touched her skin he felt sparks spread through his body. It was almost euphoric.

She stayed still in his arms with her head down. Long dirty hair covered her face and Wyatt wished so badly she would look up at him. He opened his mouth, about to ask her to look at him when he felt something slam into his jaw, pushing him back, away from her. The pain exploded and he let her go, bringing his hands to his face to protect himself.

Eric stood in front of him, breathing heavily, his eyes gleaming for a fight. Wyatt felt his emotion switch to anger and was about to hit the other Alpha when Bridget ran in between them, positioning her back against Eric.

"Stop it!"

Wyatt looked at her and saw tears gleaming in her eyes. There was too much going on and for a moment Wyatt lost focus. Then he saw the small figure start running out of the parking lot. He ignored Eric and Bridget and started after her, but she was quick and made it to the middle of the road. He didn't mean to scare her.

"Please stop running," Wyatt yelled.

He was too focused on her he didn't even notice the vehicle. It appeared she listed to his request and the sound of a car horn blaring followed with the sick thumping of a body rolling over the top of a car echoed through the night.

Page Break

Eric

One...two...three. Eric counted in his head. He needed to cool off and assess the situation, knowing Bridget wouldn't appreciate it if he ran after Wyatt and ripped the lesser wolf's throat out. The sound of a car horn stopped his mantra. He whipped his head towards the road and saw the rouge's body fly over the roof of a car. Wyatt ran to her and Bridget let out a scream.

"Get the car," Eric told her.

He recognized the other vehicle, it belonged to a pack member. The driver got out and ran around the back.

"She came out of nowhere," Nick said. "I didn't see her. I couldn't stop."

Wyatt had a terrified look on his face as he picked the rouge up off the ground. It clicked in Eric's head there was only one reason why a stranger could mean so much to him right away. He reverted his attention to Nick, the shaken up driver.

"Go to Bridget," Eric ordered. "Wyatt get in the car with her. We're only five miles away from my doctor."

It didn't take long for Wyatt to climb in the backseat of the still running vehicle. Eric jumped in the driver's seat and sped off. He could smell the blood of the rouge wolf and didn't say a word as he drove into his own territory.

They drove in silence as Eric sped down the unlit roads. They were getting close when the sounds of choking came from the backseat. He glanced in the rearview mirror and saw the girl convulsing. A panicked Wyatt's voice traveled through the car.

"She's dying."

Eric saw tears on the other wolf's face. He pushed his foot down on the gas, pushing the car to it's limit.

"She's a wolf," Eric said. "She will survive."

The statement should have been true, but Eric had his doubts. He wondered how old she was. Most adult wolves were tall, but when he spotted her earlier she looked barely five foot. She had to be at least eighteen, or else Wyatt wouldn't have recognized her as his mate. Something was very off about this rouge.

Eric whipped the car down the gravel road, but tried not to reduce his speed too much. He mentally sent notice to his pack members to avoid this road and told the doctor to assemble his medical team.

They approached the building that housed the pack clinic and Eric came to a stop. The three nurses and doctor came to meet them with a stretcher. Wyatt set down the still convulsing she-wolf and they took off with her towards the building. Eric saw the mess she had become in the headlights. There was too much blood.

He turned the car off and stepped outside. The night's events had left him momentarily stunned. Eric was replaying them in his mind, so deep in thought he didn't hear the other car approach.

"What's happening?" Bridget called as she ran up to him. "Where's Wyatt? Who's that girl?"

Eric gave the answer he was certain Bridget already knew.

"His mate."

There was no hiding the flash of confusion on Bridget's face. Eric had long tolerated Wyatt and his mate's friendship and was well aware of their mutual affection. He tried his best to burry concerns or petty jealousy.

"Who is she though?" Bridget asked once she regained her composure.

"That's the question I'd like answered," Eric said.

He lifted his arm and Bridget came to him and pressed her head against his chest. He started walking her towards the clinic, knowing she would want to offer comfort to Wyatt the second she was able. Eric had other things on his mind though. Something about the tiny werewolf was off and he couldn't relax as long as she was in his territory.

Wyatt

The past few hours had been the worst in Wyatt's life. As soon as they arrived the Doctor had whisked away with his mate. The only thing keeping him sane was Bridget, who never left his side. He dropped his head and ran his hand through his hair in frustration.

"What's taking so long?" Wyatt asked, unsure he wanted a response.

"Remember when we were little? You fell out of that tree and broke your arm and your mom made you go to the clinic? I sat in the waiting room for what felt like forever waiting to hear you were okay."

Wyatt stood up and started pacing again.

"Only that time wasn't hours," Wyatt said. "My arm was already healed by the time we got to the doctor. My mom was just over reacting."

Wyatt knew his mate's injuries had to be serious, or else she would have healed herself by now. He didn't even know her name. That thought kept running through his head, driving him insane.

"What if...what if she doesn't..."

"The doctor here is wonderful," Bridget interrupted him. "One of the perks of switching to a larger pack I suppose."

"There's nothing wrong with a small pack," Wyatt snapped back.

He knew she didn't mean anything by her comment, except to distract him. It had momentarily worked.

"She's in good hands," Bridget said.

The front door to the building swung open and Eric walked in, the sun shining behind him. Wyatt didn't have any form of mental link with this pack and wondered if Eric had received any news. The Alpha shook his head.

"I told the Doctor to come tell you first," Eric said, almost as if he could read Wyatt's mind. "Bridget why don't you go get some sleep."

"I'm not leaving Wyatt," Bridget said.

"You're no good to anyone exhausted," Eric replied.

"He needs me," Bridget said.

Wyatt went back to his pacing, ignoring their bickering yet again. Once he was with his mate he would make sure they didn't have these small arguments all the time. He would treat her like the goddess she was. He let his mind wonder to taking her home, showing her off to the pack. The visions of his members smiling in awe at their new Luna gave him hope.

"Fine," Eric said. "Do what you want."

The anger was rolling off the other Alpha. He turned and exited the building, slamming the door behind him as he left.

"Don't let Eric upset you," Bridget said.

"He's not," Wyatt replied.

"He doesn't understand how we can still be so close," Bridget said. "I keep telling him he has nothing to worry about."

"I appreciate the fact he lets us still see each other," Wyatt said. "Not all mates would be as understanding."

Wyatt watched as Bridget stood up from her seat. She came to Wyatt with open arms and he embraced his best friend, though for the first time found little comfort in her touch.

"I'm so sorry," she whispered.

"I know," Wyatt said.

For a brief second Wyatt felt himself relax, but another door flung open. He let go of Bridget and turned to see the Doctor. A look of shock was on the older man's face, probably because another Alpha was embracing his Luna. Eric's pack wouldn't appreciate their relationship either. Wyatt held his breath, unsure what question to ask first.

"How is she Dr. Knolls?' Bridget asked for him.

This seemed to shake the Doctor back to reality.

"I expect her to make a full recovery," the Doctor said.

Wyatt let the breath out of his lungs, never feeling such relief in his life.

"Can I see her?" Wyatt asked.

"Why don't you have a seat first," Dr. Knolls instructed. "I want to go over some things with you."

Rather than argue Wyatt sat down, eager to finish this up and go be with his mate.

"She lost a large amount of blood, punctured a lung, and broke her back."

"Oh my God," Bridget muttered.

"That's not what concerns me," Dr. Knolls said. "Even though she was hit by a car the injuries should have started to heal faster than they did. We were able to stabilize her and she still didn't start to heal. I gave her a dose of wolfsbane and only then did she respond."

Wyatt snarled at the mention of wolfsbane. The only wolves he knew who used it were drug addicts. He didn't know it had a medicinal purpose. Dr. Knolls ignored his obvious dislike of the drug and continued.

"But then she started responding rapidly. Almost putting herself back together at an impossible rate. It was then I noticed the rest of her injuries."

"The rest?" Bridget asked.

"I would peg her to be in her mid twenties, but she is extremely short for a wolf, maybe 5'3". That and she is sickly thin and incredibly pale. There was a lot of scar tissue too."

"What are you saying?" Wyatt asked.

The Doctor took a breath, trying to choose his words carefully.

"She's lived a hard life," Dr. Knolls said. "It wouldn't surprise me if we find out someone did this to her."

Wyatt felt his heart tighten.

"Are you saying she was abused?" Bridget asked.

"I would go with tortured."

Never one for violence Wyatt had heard enough he stood up and went to the wall, pulling his arm back he punched it with all his strength. The drywall didn't stand a chance and caved under the pressure. He couldn't focus on any one thing. His ears rang, unsure if Bridget or the Doctor were still talking or not. Wyatt ignored the pain in his hand and spun around to face the room again.

"I would like to see her," Wyatt said.

The Doctor and Bridget were both already standing. Dr. Knolls just nodded his head and started towards the door. Bridget started to follow but Wyatt gave her one look. A pout crossed her face, but she took her seat.

As Wyatt followed the Doctor down the hall all he could think about was someone hurting his mate. He had failed to protect her before he even met her. All those years he wasted, sitting around waiting for her to show up, he should have known something was wrong. He should have been actively searching for her. He vowed right then and there to spend the rest of his life making it up to her.

"She's still asleep." Dr. Knolls paused in front of a door. "I gave her enough sedative she shouldn't wake for several hours. I wanted to make sure she had enough time to recover."

Wyatt nodded his head and the Doctor opened the door. He felt his heart rate increase, anxious to get a good look at his mate's face, but what met him shocked him more than he thought possible. An empty bed.

Eric

The other Alpha had been on his territory for too long. That with the sleeping rouge was too much. It was making Eric tense. He wished Bridget was available to cool him down, but she was too bust comforting Wyatt. Eric reminded himself their relationship was more like brother and sister, but that offered him little peace of mind given the stress he was under.

After Bridget refused to go to bed, Eric left the clinic in a rage. Needing to calm down he decided to take a run. He pulled off his shirt and shifted forms, eager to blow off some steam. As he let his wolf take over worries about Bridget and Wyatt faded away. His number one priority was his pack. He knew a patrol wasn't necessary, he had already ordered one the second he smelled that rouge. The rouge who was now a guest in his clinic.

If Eric could take any solace in this whole debacle it was that Wyatt found his mate and will finally leave Bridget alone.

Sir, the girl, she's missing. Doctor Knoll's voice broke Eric's thoughts. Do you want me to alert the pack? I know you said to keep this quiet.

No, Eric replied. I'll find her myself.

Eric turned around and started back towards the clinic, hoping to catch her scent. He was sure Wyatt was already looking, the last thing he wanted was the pack to hunt down the other Alpha on their land.

The undeniable scent of the rogue was easy to detect. Soon after he got her smell she came into view. Eric was surprised she hadn't shifted. The hospital gown looked ten sizes too big for her and her very long hair made her look like a mad woman as she clawed her way through his forest, stumbling as she ran. It didn't take long for Eric to get in front of her. She didn't notice and plowed right into him, knocking herself to the forest floor.

He reached down and grabbed her by the shoulders, pulling her up until she was eye level with him. He was about to yell at her, demanding to know who she was and what made her think she could traverse freely across his land, when she locked eyes with him his mind went blank. Her blue eyes were large, but the skin on her face was so thin it made her look hollow. He realized she weighed almost nothing as he held her up, her arms felt like bones. She was starving.

Even though Eric's concentration was broken it became apparent hers was not. The terror he saw originally vanished into anger. She started kicking at him wildly and attempting to twist and free herself. Eric wrapped his arms around her as she struggled, knowing she didn't stand a chance against his much larger frame.

"Calm down," Eric yelled. "I'm not going to hurt you."

The only response he received was an increase in her breathing, she was starting to hyperventilate.

"If you keep that up you will pass out," Eric said. He could feel her heart thumping away at an almost impossible rate.

"Let her go," Wyatt said.

Eric snapped his head up, knowing if he loosened his grip at all the rouge would run away again.

"Let her go now." Wyatt was trying his hardest to sound stern, but his voice still had the slightest hint of uncertainty.

As Eric predicted the young girl took one more deep pained breath before she went limp in his arms. Eric did as instructed by the other Alpha and let the girl go. She fell in a heap at his feet. Wyatt ran over and Eric started to walk casually away from them.