The Scarlet Dove - Issue 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The truth was she was having an incredibly hard time staying focused. She felt like the chronological system of the filing shouldn't have been confusing, but she just could not get her head around it! It didn't help that her mind was just all over the place, thinking about her conversation with Pierce; how unexpectedly intelligent he'd been. And sweet? He was so much sweeter than the tabloids would lead you to believe. Which inevitably led her to thinking of his smile, he really did have the best smile. And those eyes! The definition of dreamy, the kind of eyes that could see straight through a girl...

Eventually, it was getting late, and with so little progress, Starling decided it was time to call it. She thanked the few clerks who had tried to show her how to use the system, they'd eventually gotten frustrated and gave up. Which made her feel incredibly stupid, a feeling the reporter was definitely not used to.

As she got on the elevator to leave, Starling opened her clutch and took out the business card Pierce had given her. Perhaps she could sweet talk him into helping her out more directly, or something like that, maybe he knew something, she had certainly noticed the way he had stopped when she mentioned Synodyne, and the look he and his assistant shared...definitely something fishy!

Or did she just want to talk to him again? She really felt like they had hit it off in his office. Sure she'd started flirting as a subterfuge to get information, but he'd been so unexpectedly charming that soon the flirting became real...

Dream on, girl, she told herself. He didn't remember your name twenty seconds after you told it to him, he's way too out of your league to sweet talk.

Dejectedly she slipped the card back into her clutch and snapped it shut. Trying to turn her mind turned back to other things; Maybe she just needed to go out on patrol that night, maybe that would help clear her head. About that time, the door slid open and she headed back out through the lobby.

"Oh, miss Chase," said a voice behind her.

Starling nearly jumped out of her skin...it was Pierce! She turned slowly to see the handsome billionaire walking towards her. She had put her hair up with a pencil during the afternoon, and she hastily shook it and let it down.

"I was hoping to catch you," he smiled and her heart fluttered a little nervously. "How did your research go?"

Starling shrugged. "Not so great, I really didn't find anything."

"I was afraid of that," he sighed. "I told you I didn't know much but that generally means there's not much to know!"

"Yeah, I guess," Starling stammered, still trying to finger-comb the tangles out of her hair. Gosh, she had really not expected to see Pierce again.

"Well, you know what cheers me up after a frustrating day of paper work?"

"Hmm, what?"

"Dinner at La Frierre's," Pierce replied. "Would you care to join me?"

"You've got to be kidding," Starling balked.

La Frierre's was one of, if not the oldest and most prestigious five star gourmet restaurant in Warden City. You didn't just go there to get over a long day at the office. Well, maybe a billionaire like Pierce did.

"I am so serious," Pierce said. "Have you ever been?" She hadn't. "The crème de la brioche is to die for!"

She had never even heard of that dish. "I can't go to La Frierre's tonight!"

"Oh," he said disappointedly. "You got a date or something?"

"No," Starling giggled like a school girl. Gosh, what had gotten into her that day. "I mean, well look at me I'm a mess!"

Peirce grinned, and arched one eye brow. "We can fix that."

The red head furrowed her brow. "What do you mean."

"I mean, let's go get dolled up, buy all new clothes and have an amazing dinner!"

"You can't be serious," Starling stated.

Pierce only grinned and gestured towards the front of the building. Starling followed his finger, and realized there was a long white limo sitting outside. Was this real? Maybe she'd made more of an impression than she thought?

"I don't know," she bit her bottom lip unsurely. "Really?"

Pierce rolled his eyes and groaned. "How about this then, I'm not taking no for answer!"

Before she could protest any further, the billion dollar heir had grabbed her wrist and begun dragging her towards the doors. Starling couldn't believe this was happening. She trotted after him, barely able to keep up she was so bewildered. As they climbed in the back of the limo she fleetingly wondered if this was some kind of ploy. Surely there was plenty of better dressed, hotter, and more upscale tramps, er women, if he was just looking for a roll in the hay. Why would he waste time with a shabbily dressed reporter, if he wasn't sincere? Maybe she had misjudged Pierce Ashton?

Maybe he wanted to pump her for information, find out why she was asking about Synodyne in the first place. Part of her was absolutely certain there was more to that story, but was he hiding something? If so, that was just fine with Starling, she felt more than prepared for a game of mental chess with some silver spoon pampered rich kid!

She forgot all of that almost instantly. No, sooner had the door closed did Pierce hand her a glass of champagne.

"Oh, now I see what really relaxes you after a long day," she teased taking the glass.

"Ashtons work hard, but we play hard!" He grinned and tilted the bottom of her glass as she tried to take a sip, making her drink the whole thing!

She swallowed every drop, only coughing a little, then giving him an unimpressed look. "I'm not sure what kind of girls you're used to, but I can handle a little champagne!"

It was a short drive from the Ashton headquarters to Sorjienna's, the most expensive salon in Warden City. There she was primped, pampered, her hair was washed and styled and her makeup was redone. At first it seemed uncomfortable, but it turned out that Sara Chase's daughter settled into elite levels of pampering like a natural!

Pierce got trimmed and styled as well. Somehow, he looked even hotter afterwards. Starling could hardly believe how attracted to him she was becoming.

After that she was whisked over to Imini Carano, which was the hottest label of the season. Of course, Pierce kept the charm high on the drive over. Starling found herself enjoying it more than she would have imagined. For the first time since coming to Warden City, she didn't have to impress anyone with her research and clever writing, she didn't have to be powerful and heroic, she was just a girl being sweet talked by a handsome boy! It was nice.

Normally you weren't allowed to even walk into the Imini Carano store without a black card. Of course Pierce probably had two, and he and Starling were receiving the royal treatment. Pierce picked out an outfit for her. It was another moment where she was so bewildered, she just didn't argue. Starling was ushered into a fitting room, with a pair of exquisite, red stilettos, and a gorgeous, crimson halter dress. She could only guess at how expensive they were, of course there were no price tags.

In the quiet changing room, Starling came back to herself and things began to feel off. Was this all some kind of trick? Maybe it was a bribe? She stepped out of the dressing room and called Pierce over.

"What's the problem?" he asked, smiling casually.

Starling frowned, more than a little skeptical. "I don't think I can accept these things. I mean this is all just too much."

"Please," he chuckled. "I could buy this whole store if I wanted."

Starling blushed, knowing he wasn't just bragging. "I know but..."

"Hold on," he cut her off, stepping into the dressing room with her. "Starling, I like you." He stepped in close, looking deep into her emerald orbs with his own dreamy eyes.

"I like you too," she replied breathlessly, it suddenly seemed as if all the air had been sucked out of the room.

"I like to buy things for my friends," he went on, moving even closer. "And my...more than friends." His arm encircled the small of her back, pulling her right up against his chest. "So the sooner you get used to it, the better, because this is just the first of many things I'll be buying you."

Starling nodded almost imperceptibly. Her heart hammered beneath her breasts, as she stared up at Pierce. Could this really be happening? They hung there for a long moment (or so it seemed), until she couldn't stand it anymore and reached up to kiss him! He returned the kiss, parting her soft lips with his thick velvety tongue. The smitten red head melted into him, pressing her big breasts against his chest as butterflies danced up from her stomach making her tingle all over.

Feeling his hands slide down her back to cup her nice round butt, Starling threw her arms around his neck excitedly. His warm tongue squirmed even more deeply into her mouth, as he pulled her tightly against him and her right foot drifted daintily up off the ground. Feeling the strength in his grip was an incredible turn on, sending a little charge down her spine, making her womanhood quiver with arousal.

At that exact moment, Pierce pulled away leaving Starling hanging on the moment, wanting, waiting for more. Her green eyes blinked open, and she smiled shyly. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be," Pierce laughed. "Just finish getting dressed, so we can go to dinner!"

"Okay," Starling agreed, chewing sheepishly on her thumb.

Pierce stepped out of the dressing, and the red head was surprised just how much she wanted him to stay.

"Oh, wait, Star come here," he called from just outside.

She answered immediately, opening the door and stepping out.

"You'll need this with that dress," he said, holding up a sheer nylon G-string.

Starling blushed immediately, realizing the store attendants and manager were all standing around giggling. She snatched the G-string, and quickly hid it behind her.

"Pierce!" she squealed, grabbing his arm playfully.

"Oh, don't be shy, you're totally hot," he laughed, pulling away. "For a red head."

Starling blinked, wait, did he not like red heads? Before she could say anything, he grabbed her shoulders and turned her back towards the changing room.

"Come on, I'm starving," he gave her a playful swat on the butt to hurry her along.

She couldn't help but giggle as she went back into the dressing room and put it all on, even the G-string. Instantly she understood why the panties had to be so scant, because the dress fit like a second skin, anything more would have shown through like a diaper. The skirt of the dress clung tightly to her hips, with an exquisite diagonal cut that started just below the curve of her butt on one side and ended just about mid-thigh on the other, it was beautiful. The top was a sort of wrap around halter, which fastened behind her neck, leaving her back and shoulders totally bare. Surprisingly though, the cross wrapped design cupped and supported her voluptuous boobs surprisingly well, considering she couldn't wear a bra because of the open back.

Once she was dressed, Starling stood staring in the mirror for a moment, for once not out of conceit. She looked like a different person.

That nagging feeling that this was all too much persisted, that she shouldn't, couldn't accept any of this. Then a feeling began to edge its way into her mind, an absolute amazement and disbelief that this was happening. She felt like Cinderella! This was the kind of thing every little girl, and most young women, dreamed about. Being swept away and transformed into a beautiful princess!

How could she turn any of it down? How often does a billionaire take you to dinner? What if Pierce Ashton turned out to be her prince charming? Okay...maybe that was ridiculous, but... her fingers drifted errantly across her mouth remembering the feel of his lips on hers. Maybe not so ridiculous?

Lost in thought, Starling jumped when there came a knock on the door.

"Are you ready?" It was Pierce, there was a stern impatient edge in his tone now. "We should really get going."

"Yes, of course," she called.

Starling stepped out of the changing room, trying not to blush any deeper. Pierce of course looked magnificent, in a sleek navy suit. He looked her over and grinned.

"Not bad," he said simply.

Not bad...Not bad!?

Chapter Four

The manager was waiting for them when they arrived at La Frierre's. Pierce greeted him like a buddy, and she was given a chilled cosmopolitan by a waiter with a tray. There was an old fashioned on the tray for Pierce which he took and sipped.

"You made this didn't you," he said to the manager, who grinned and shrugged. "Yeah, no one else ever uses enough bitters!"

He clapped the manager on the back and they were led into the restaurant. The manager took them up a flight of stairs to a balcony that over looked the rest of the restaurant. There were four tables here but only one of them was set. Pierce thanked the manager, who told him not to leave without saying good bye, and then rushed off.

"I'm so glad you came," Pierce began, pulling out her chair. "I really am sorry that..."

"Oh, Pierce you have nothing to apologize for," she cut him off. "I can't believe this place it's..."

"Um, please...do not interrupt me. It's quite rude."

Starling blinking in surprise. "Of course," she replied. "I'm sorry."

"It's alright, please sit," he said, in a slightly stern tone.

Starling lowered herself into the chair as demurely as possible, trying to hide her embarrassment. Had he really scolded her? She knew she had the habit of interrupting people, most people just never called her on it. She took a long sip of her cosmo, it was stronger than what she usually drank but it was delicious.

Pierce sat, taking a sip of his own drink. "As I was saying, I am sorry that you weren't able to find any of the information you were searching for."

"Well, it certainly wasn't your fault," Starling replied evenly. "I'm not even sure what I hoped to find..." She reminded herself whatever his motivations were, she was there with a mission. Let the game begin!

"Well, if getting to meet me was the only thing accomplished I hope that was worth it," he grinned rakishly. "So what is your article about? You never got a chance to tell me."

Starling sighed, setting down her glass. "Actually it's kind of a historical piece, modern history you know, Synodyne was supposed to have been on the cutting edge but then it just seemed to dry up and blow away one day."

"Not entirely uncommon for tech companies," he said not actually seeming surprised.

"Well it is a little odd," she said. "Considering that it had just acquired the backing of a company like yours."

"Well, are you certain you were in the right year?" he asked.

Of course she was! "Yes, I was even able to find some financial reports from Warden City Diagnostics, but nothing on Synodyne what so ever."

"Hm, I wish I could be more helpful but I believe that acquisition was a bit before my time," he said. "How is your drink?"

"Very good," Starling said taking another drink. "Can you think of any reason why there wouldn't be any paperwork on something like that?"

"Gosh, where to begin?" Pierce replied, launching into a story about some high stakes merger he had negotiated with a Japanese company.

Surprisingly Starling began to feel totally out of her league in the conversation, she knew so little about business on this level. It was impressive that Pierce could rattle off the kind of business facts and negotiation techniques he did, he was obviously more than just an heir with a silver spoon in his mouth. She felt like she should have been smart enough to follow along at least, but he quickly lost her. Apparently there had been some translation error resulting in all the Japanese company records being shredded.

The reporter suddenly felt like a total bimbo, because all she could do from that point on was nod errantly and sip her drink, making sort of vague agreements anytime he paused for her response.

"Oh my gosh, look at you," Pierce chuckled, drawing her back to the table. "You don't have a clue what I'm talking about, and here I am rambling on and on..." he laughed, taking a drink.

"Oh, it's okay, I asked the question after all," Starling responded quickly, not knowing what else to say. She felt like a total bimbo.

"Well it's no wonder I lost you, I sometimes forget not everyone is as business minded as I am," he sounded almost patronizing. "You were so cute too, nodding and agreeing with whatever I said."

Great, he does think I'm a total bimbo! The young woman realized, mortified. She drained her glass and set it down with a clink.

"It's rude of me really," he went on. "I apologize again. We can speak about anything you like, the floor is yours."

"Well, getting back to Synodyne..." she began.

"Gosh your hair looks great," he cut her off.

"Oh," Starling blinked. "D-do you think so?" she rolled her eyes at his obvious subterfuge but immediately fluffed it a bit, turning so he could see different angles.

The waiter flashed in and out replacing her drink, barely a blur in her periphery.

"Of course, it's a very 'in' style," he replied. "Sorejienna's is the best in the state."

"Yes," she suddenly gushed. "It was all so amazing! How can I ever thank you for everything? The salon, the dress, dinner..."

"Ah, of course the dress," he said. "You know I was worried it would be too small, but it seems to have fit?"

Starling nodded, taking a big swallow of her new drink. Too small? Did he think she was fat? Starling Chase had always been proud of her hourglass curves, but she suddenly began to feel terribly insecure.

"I wasn't sure when I picked it out," he continued a moment later. "But you make it look pretty hot."

Starling blushed like a rose. "Well thank you."

Get it together girl! She thought, realizing Pierce had taken control of the conversation. Stay focused! Get back on topic.

Before she could, the waiter returned. Pierce ordered for them both, in French, so she didn't even know what she was getting until it came...and even then it was a best guess scenario. It was gourmet food, several courses, quite good, and tiny portions which actually worked quite well for her. She had two (or was it three?) more cosmos, throughout the meal. She normally didn't drink cosmos (or this much!) but these kept coming before she had a chance to order anything else...and besides they were so good!

Likewise, Starling continued to lose her game of mental chess as Pierce maintained strict control of the conversation. He danced nimbly around her questions regarding Synodyne, placating her with tertiary explanations and superficial dismissals before distracting her by switching topics. She was used to feeling like one of the smartest people in the room in most situations, but this night she wasn't even the smartest at the table. He was charming and witty, he kept her talking, made her laugh, made her blush.

The truth was she had begun to find his take charge attitude very attractive. Pierce acted as if he owned everything. It felt very comfortable and natural to let him take the lead. In fact, she was finding herself more and more attracted to him every moment it seemed.

By the time desert came, they were sharing an exquisitely rich piece of cheese cake, drizzled in strawberries, Starling had abandoned her mission and simply allowed herself to enjoy Pierce's company.

She had grown more and more impressed with Pierce as a person as well, he had to totally dispel her spoiled rich trust fund brat image of him. Pierce had continually explained things she was unfamiliar with. Each time she picked up on something he seemed to warm up to her a little more. The dynamic had a strange effect on Starling, and she quickly came to crave his approval. The simplest compliment or an appreciative smile seemed to make her heart pitter-patter.