The Scrapbook

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
wetapap
wetapap
373 Followers

Even with all his natural optimism, Ken knew this was one of those rare times when it was best to just watch and listen. Without saying a word he sat in painful silence, looking on as his friend emotionally fought his way from page to page.

After finally closing the book, Mark spun it around and slid it back across the table.

"What do you want me to do with it?" Ken asked with a puzzled expression.

"Before the girls get home, take and put it back where you found it," he calmly replied.

"I need to know what you intend to do, Mark. As you can guess, I have some serious issues to take up with Marcie. But I don't want to do anything that might interfere with your plans."

"You won't have to wait long," he informed Ken. "I'll be doing something very soon.... Trust me, when the time comes, you won't have to ask, you'll know.

"The recent letters from her friends said Tony plans to attend our five year reunion. That's only three weeks away. I think we can count on him being there. If so, I need those three weeks. Please bear with me?"

"No problem Mark," his friend replied, "whatever you want." Ken felt it was the least he could do, especially since Marcie's thoughtless actions had probably destroyed the two couples' long standing friendship.

Sadly, Ken realized, 'Marcie thinks the world of Mark and would never dream of hurting him. Her problem is blindly charging ahead, always trying to please everyone without ever stopping or slowing down to analyze her actions or their consequences. In her mind, I'm sure she was just doing a favor for her best friend.

'But Mark is my best friend and I know the way he thinks. It will be difficult for him to forgive Marcie for what he perceives as her betrayal. Speaking of that, I guess it's Steph I should feel sorry for. What's really sad is that even though she doesn't seem to realize it, I know Steph loves Mark dearly. What a screwed up mess."

**********

Fortunately, Richard and Amber still owned the largest ballroom in town. He had it built years ago, and immediately made it available, free of charge, for all school and alumni functions. The only requirement has always been that the individual committees provide their own decorating and clean-up. It's their sole responsibility to make sure that after each event, the building is left in the same condition they found it.

Most graduates have been through its doors more than once, attending not only their proms, but other special events, and in later years, class reunions. Richard and Amber were enthusiastically and fondly invited to every function, and always made an effort to attend or at least make an appearance, when possible. Through the years, there was not a single high school class which didn't have at least one 'Wetap Kid' in its graduation ceremony.

Amber laughed as the limo pulled up in front of the R & A Center, "Everyone says it stands for us. They call it Richard and Amber's Center?"

"I know, Miss Amber," he chuckled. "But, you know well as I, the 'R and A' stand for recreation and activity, and were in the name before I met you. Although, it does make one wonder if the school board might have had a premonition before they made their choice," Richard replied with a chuckle. "I am glad I let them name the building, it could not have worked out better."

Her free hand lovingly caressed one of his lapels as she wrinkled her nose and fondly informed him, "I know.... But it's more fun and romantic to believe it stands for us."

"Yes it is, Miss Amber," he said with a nervous twitch in his voice.

A little startled, she inquired, "What did I say."

"It is not anything you said Miss Amber," Richard smiled, "but since the day of your graduation, I get nervous when your hands get near my lapels."

She burst out laughing. He silenced her with a gentle loving kiss.

Whenever Richard and Amber attend an event outside of Wetap, at least two of their most trusted employees are required to be security escorts. Tonight it was Ethan's turn along with Daryl who was also serving double duty as chauffer.

After opening the limo door, Daryl smiled as he took Amber's hand to help her step out. 'It's amazing,' he thought, 'how efficient she has become at doing everything one handed while the other keeps Richard's cane clasped tightly over her heart.'

Ethan opened the front door as they approached. Nodding his head, he greeted, "Richard, Miss Amber... Miss Amber I have to say, you look absolutely stunning this evening."

Blushing, she graciously accepted the compliment, "Why thank you Ethan, and how are Chris and the kids?"

Never tiring of telling about his kids, with a beaming smile he replied, "They're fine Miss Amber. All four are the healthiest rug rats at Wetap, and the orneriest. Except the two oldest are no longer rug rats. Our oldest daughter will be in the fourth grade next year, turning into quite a young lady, takes after her mom."

"I take it the adoptions are complete?" Richard asked.

"Yes sir, "Ethan replied, "the two oldest are now officially mine also. By the way Richard, Chris and I do appreciate what you did in getting the judge to approve the final paperwork. Our attorney wasn't sure if we could have gotten the adoptions through without your help."

Richard smiled and replied, "Ethan, it was truly my pleasure." With a soft twinkle in his eyes, he asked, "And your son, how is he?"

"Well I can tell you this, whatever Chris buys me to wear, she has to get him an identical set. The first thing he wants to know every morning is what I am wearing so he can dress to match."

Richard and Amber laughed. "Does he still want to be the same thing when he grows up?" Amber asked.

"Yes ma'am, it's been the same answer ever since he was little and they returned to Wetap. He wants to be me when he grows up."

They couldn't help laughing again. "Ethan, that is priceless," Richard chuckled. "You will never get a greater compliment than that."

"Our two youngest daughters are old enough now to really give their mother fits. And you don't have to say it... I know what you're thinking. Thank God they look like their mother instead of me," Ethan laughed with great pride. It was easy to tell that he loved his family dearly.

Everyone was still laughing when another couple walked up. Richard and Amber turned to see who as Ethan welcomed them, "Mark... why Steph, don't you look lovely this evening."

During the exchange of greetings, everyone was shocked as they looked at Richard. None of them could remember ever seeing him without a smile before.

Richard said, "Mark, I have the information you requested. As soon as I can get free, I will send word and you can drop by my office. It is at the end of the lobby, to your left as you go in the door."

"No problem," Mark replied. "Please let me know when you're ready."

Steph looked puzzled, but didn't want to ask her husband what it was all about in front of everyone. She knew he would tell her later.

As they entered the ballroom, Mark spotted Tony and evidently so did Steph. She instantly pretended to be looking elsewhere, but every time her eyes swept the room, they paused momentarily in Tony's direction. Steph finally noticed her husband watching and immediately turned her head away, blushing.

'It's going to be an interesting evening,' Mark thought. 'We might not like the outcome, but one way or the other, all our questions will be answered before this night is over.'

Shortly after Mark and Steph found their table, Ken and Marcie arrived and joined them. Of course between dances, Steph and Marcie were comparing notes on how their fellow classmates had changed in the last five years. Their observations caused quite a bit of laughter and everyone appeared to be thoroughly enjoying themselves.

**********

A couple of hours later, the reunion was in full swing. Mark was having a good time in spite of Steph's effort not to get caught gazing starry eyed at Tony, which she was doing quite often. Her former lover, on the other hand, obviously didn't share Steph's concerns as he stared long and hard at her with unabashed desire.

Even though Steph was asked and had accepted several dances with former classmates, Tony wasn't one of them. He kept his distance in her husband's presence.

But as Mark watched, he was sure, 'It's only a matter of time before Tony will make his move. He's like a fox circling the hen house. There's no way, outside of being shot, he'll pass up this opportunity.'

Several of the people in attendance were watching with great interest, some out of curiosity, others out of concern, but a few out of selfish hope for various and differing reasons. Besides Tony, there was another, a real fox, praying for an opportune opening.

Under normal circumstances, out of respect for Mark's marriage, Kasey would never think of trying to put a move on him. However, tonight was different. She'd been keeping an eye on events all evening, just waiting for Tony to make his move.

Kasey had already decided, 'If Steph is stupid enough to accept advances from her old boyfriend, then all bets are off. That will give me the excuse I need to try and lull Mark out onto the dance floor.' Then she said to herself, "And I'll be damned if I'm going to turn down the perfect opportunity to get my foot in the door first."

As the evening progressed, Kasey's subtle glances may have gone unnoticed by the men, but not the ladies. Steph's imagination jumped on the opportunity to assume her husband was reciprocating, which helped ease her feelings of guilt.

'I just know if I wasn't here, Mark would be dancing every song with her. He's always had a special place in his heart for Kasey. Can't say that I blame him... she is absolutely gorgeous. ' Steph was stunned as a strong surge of jealousy... and fear suddenly swept through her. She had never before had a single thought about the possibility of losing her husband.

As Ethan approached their table, Mark knew Richard had sent for him. It was time to get the answers to the questions, all of them.

"Excuse me Steph, but Richard would like to borrow your husband for a few minutes if you can spare him," Ethan joked.

Since Richard was Mark's employer and their livelihood depended on him, she laughed and replied, "No problem, but bring him back soon. He still has a lot of dancing left in him and I intend to squeeze out every drop before the night is over," she chided.

After Mark followed Ethan out the door, Tony knew it was time. Steph's eyes were beckoning him.

"So... I see you are still one of those," Tony said as he walked up to her table.

Steph smiled and her eyes twinkled as she inquired in a jokingly sarcastic voice, "One of what?"

Tony humorously mocked her in his reply, "You know damn good and well what, a 'Wetap Brat.'"

"Yes I am," Steph replied in the sweetest sounding laughter he still had ever heard.

When Tony offered his hand, she took it. To those who were watching, and most were, they seemed to glide out onto the dance floor.

Marcie nervously glanced at her husband and said, "I hope Mark doesn't get upset."

Ken's eyes were narrowed and focused on Tony and Steph as he replied, "It's way too late to be concerned about that. Plus you've got problems of your own to worry about."

Her voice carried uncertainty, "What problems? Did I do something wrong?"

"Marcie, I love you, but we have some very serious issues to deal with. Before the night is over, we will come to a better understanding of what our marriage and relationship mean and what our responsibilities are to one another. But for now, I think it would be best if you just sat there with your mouth shut and not say a word."

With a twinge of anger, she opened her mouth to reply.

At that moment, Ken turned and gave her a level stare, then calmly but forcefully said, "The scrapbook.... Need I say more?"

Marcie's face turned three shades of red as her anger abated. Her mouth closed as her eyes became riveted with fear. Too embarrassed to look at him, she lowered her head in shame. Ken shook his head and joined everyone else watching Tony and Steph.

About ten minutes later while everyone's focus was still on the new couple, Mark eased back through the doors unnoticed.

'Please let me be wrong,' he prayed, but after glancing at Steph's empty chair, knew he wasn't. With no one still paying attention, Mark slid behind a small crowd standing next to the door. From that vantage point he could observe without being seen. Following everyone's line of vision, he spotted his wife on the dance floor.

His heart dropped when he realized she was locked in a tight embrace with her former lover. Steph had a dreamy look even though her eyes were closed as she rested her head on Tony's shoulder. Mark bristled when he noticed the smirk on Tony's face as her former lover nestled and caressed Steph's head with his own.

"I could use a breath of fresh air," Tony said. Steph, floating on a cloud of euphoria, paid little attention as he led her out the patio glass doors. With eyes closed, she leaned her head back, enjoying the wonderful feel of the crisp evening air.

Her eyes opened just in time to see her former lover leaning in for a kiss. Steph glanced through the plate glass windows and saw everyone watching. She pressed her hand to his chest to stop him. Tony followed her gaze and realizing her embarrassment backed off. He didn't miss the fact Steph hadn't actually said, "No."

"That's enough fresh air, I think we need to go back inside," she smiled. Of course her former lover was only encouraged by her lax attitude.

Even though Mark couldn't hear what was said, he had closely watched their every move. Now he was left wondering, 'Why didn't Steph kiss him? Was it because she didn't want to... or was it too embarrassing in front of all these witnesses?'

As they stepped back into the center, Tony said, "I need to make a trip to the men's room." Without thinking, Steph followed along at his side.

Mark watched them head to the hallway that led to the restrooms. As they reached the entrance, he started across the room to follow them. Emotionally preoccupied, Mark didn't even notice when Kasey and Amber latched onto his arms as they joined him.

When Steph and Tony reached the restroom area at the end of the hallway, he grasped her arm and spun her around. "Brat, this is long overdue," Tony said while pulling her to him. Before she could think or react, her former lover kissed her. Steph poured herself into the kiss as memories and fantasy became instantly blurred in her mind. Her hands pressed into his sides as she pulled him tight.

The trio reached the hallway entrance just in time to see Tony spin Steph around and kiss her.

"Oh no," Amber moaned.

"I'm sorry, Mark," Kasey said while tightening her grip on his arm.

"Ladies, please excuse me," he said. Then gently pulling lose from their grasp, Mark spun around and headed back across the room. Kasey caught up with him just as he reached the entrance.

"Mark, wait," she almost shouted. His mind was so clouded that her voice barely registered, but out of courteous habit, he stopped and turned.

"If you need to talk, please give me a call. Besides being a friend, I'm also a good listener," Kasey whispered to him.

With no expression other than a frown, Mark nodded, appearing to understand, but in reality was only trying to clear his head. As he stood staring across the room, the only thing Mark kept seeing was his wife kissing her former lover in that hallway.

**********

Tony smiled as Steph pulled back from the kiss. "Damn Brat, your kisses still turn me every which way but lose."

Steph shook her head and her eyes narrowed, smiling she said with enlightenment, "Sorry Tony, but yours don't... not anymore, at least not for me. By the way, 'Brat' no longer exists if you don't mind, and even if you do, the name's Stephanie, and I'm very partial to it. Now, if you will please excuse me... then again, even if you don't, my husband is waiting. I need to get back to him. I've been away far too long and have a lot of loving to make up for. The sooner I get started, the better. Goodbye Tony, I truly wish you the best," she said, then headed for the ballroom.

As Steph stepped out of the hallway she glanced around looking for her husband. When Steph finally spotted Mark standing by the lobby doors, her heart leapt. He looked so handsome, she felt so proud of him. Her eyes misted from the sudden lump in her throat as her love welled up. At that moment all Steph wanted was to hug her husband so tight he would never doubt how much she loved him. Catching his eye, Steph smiled and waved. Mark shook his head, turned, and walked out.

'What's up?' She wondered. 'What was that all about? Oh god, I hope he didn't get bad news from Richard.'

Steph started across the room to find out what was wrong when Amber grabbed her arm and said, "Come with me."

Surprised by Amber's actions, she allowed herself to be guided towards one of the adjoining side rooms. Finally Steph demanded, "Where are we going?"

"Just come with me," Amber said again as she led her into an empty room and shut the door behind them.

Ken and Marcie had watched the entire scene unfold in front of them.

"Where is Mark going?" Marcie asked.

"He's leaving," Ken stated, his voice loaded with sorrow.

Although Marcie was concerned as to why her husband looked so depressed, she still inquired about her friend, "Without Steph?"

Standing up, Ken stared down at his wife, "It's Steph he is leaving Marcie."

Marcie's initial look of confusion suddenly exploded with, "Oh god no." She responded to her own shock with, "He can't..., he loves her, and she loves him."

Ken glared at Marcie once more, "Well he is." Then he sternly suggested, "And if I were you, I would get my ass out of that chair, out the door, and into our car."

Marcie didn't look to the left or right, but it wouldn't have mattered. Her vision was blurred by tears as she cried all the way to their car. Even though her evening had been cut short, she knew it was just the beginning of a long night.

**********

Meanwhile Tony stood in the entrance to the men's restroom drying his hands. Turning slightly, he did a basketball shot at the trashcan in the corner and smiled as the wad of paper towels did a perfect drop into the open top.

His thoughts returned to wondering, 'What in the hell just happened? Did I miss something? Steph was supposed to melt in my arms. She has been staring at me off and on all night. The signals were all there. Ok, I just need to give it "that old college try" one more time.'

Stepping out into the ballroom, Tony looked around but couldn't spot Steph or Mark anywhere. "They couldn't have left that soon," he said to himself while heading for the main lobby where he was immediately greeted by Ethan.

"Richard would appreciate it if you would join him in his office," Ethan informed him.

Tony tried to step around Ethan as he sarcastically replied, "Sorry, I have more important things to do at the moment. By the way, did you see Steph come this way in the last few minutes?"

Ethan blocked him and firmly replied, "No I haven't, but what Steph does or where she goes is none of your concern. However, I will tell her husband you asked. Now, will you please join Richard in his office?"

"Fuck you asshole. Either get out of my way or I'll move you out of the way," he threatened, glaring at Ethan.

Even though Tony was a few inches taller, several years younger, and probably twenty pounds or so of muscle heavier, he got the shock of his life. All of a sudden the young man found himself pressed up against the wall by the open palm of Ethan's hand in the center of his chest.

wetapap
wetapap
373 Followers