The Sentinel Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JPMMURPHY
JPMMURPHY
28 Followers

The business was strong now. Its IPO had been a good one but not strong enough to label it a shooting star which would burn out as it entered the heady atmosphere of public investment life, and that had been a blessing. They had shown a slow, steady growth for the last year and a half and were now being courted by one of the mega dot-coms to merge. Remodeling had started a year ago on the top floor where the Systems people worked; Finance on the third floor had followed and then her floor which included the Sales organization. Currently, the elevator was being refurbished, and the lobby would be done last.

"Turn here, Jack. We'll go to my place, and I'll make us something to eat. We can sit out back on the deck and talk."

Following her directions, Jack found himself about ten miles to the north of the greater Miami metropolitan area, somewhere near the ocean. He couldn't see it, but he could smell and hear it through his open window. Indicating a road to the right, Jack turned in among old trees and an overgrown field of dried wild wheat. About a quarter mile in, he crossed a rise and was confronted by a black iron gate with stone fencing running as far as the view went in either direction. He had taken a plastic card offered by Jan, slid it into the sentry box, and waited while the gates opened silently. A camera on each side of the gate told Jack their arrival had not gone unnoticed. Jack saw the gates closing as they left them behind and drove past a finely manicured lawn on each side with small islands of flowers and stands of trees spread around an immense yard before stopping at the house.

You couldn't call it a mansion; it wasn't really that big. It was just a two-story stone house that might have been built a hundred years ago, restored and modernized with new windows and doors. The shape and appointments of the house appeared to be original, retaining its huge full front porch with six support posts for the next level that provided a porch for the second floor. The tongue and groove flooring, painted the traditional blue grey, looked new, and a porch swing moved gently on one end while potted plants provided color, complementing the white trim around the tan sandstone that was the main structure.

The windows on the ground floor were floor-to-ceiling walk through openings, preferred during the Victorian period to allow direct access to any room as well as good ventilation. Walking through the double front doors, they stood in an entry hall with a dark wood staircase going up on the right and over to the left onto the second floor. Jan removed her glasses and hat and left them with her purse on an old library table beneath a tall mirror that stood opposite the stairway.

"Jan, do you mind if I bring some things in from the car? I have a couple of computers out there in the trunk, and they might get too hot in the sun."

"Sure, Jack. You can leave them wherever you want. I'll be in the back in the kitchen," and she indicated an archway leading to the back of the house.

Leaving his duffle bag and two computer cases beside the table in the entry hall, Jack found his way back to the kitchen. The stark contrast was a little shocking at first, but beautifully executed, as Jack found himself standing among the latest of modern cooking tools and appliances. Stainless steel counters surrounded the sink and main working area, with Corian and oak making up the rest of the kitchen construction. Seating for 12 was provided along a long countertop that divided the back of the kitchen from the back deck with sliding glass doors that kept out the weather if needed. Today, they were open, and a soft sea breeze blew in from the ocean that could be seen about 200 yards beyond the back of the house.

"What will it be, Jack? I can fix us cold cuts or make you a steak. Or if you like, I can make us some pasta."

Taking up a place on the deck side of the counter, Jack indicated that anything would be fine and asked if there was any wine to go with the meal. Tossing a key on the counter as she moved from the refrigerator to the sink, Jan indicated a storm cellar door at the end of the deck. Beyond the door, Jack found what had once been a storm cellar which now contained an impressive collection of red wines. Browsing before choosing, he returned to find sliced roast beef, sliced turkey, cheese, pickles, pate, and bread sitting on a large plate in front of his stool. Jan had brought another stool around to sit in front of him and was bringing wine glasses over from a cabinet.

Pouring the wine, Jack settled in and waited a minute to see what direction things would go. The setting was peaceful, and the company pleasant as Jack pondered the killer - what motivated him, where he was, and what he was doing at that moment.

"Jack, forgive me for asking, and it may seem like a strange question, but could you tell me about Lisa?" By way of explanation, Jan continued, "You see, Jack, to me, Lisa was very real and very much alive as recently as last night, and I think some part of me wants to know my love wasn't as misplaced as it seems to have been."

Thinking a minute, Jack went to the foyer for Lisa's computer and placed it on the counter beside them. Not bothering with the adapter, he started the machine on battery power. A password and a few clicks later, and Jack found the last e-mail Lisa had intended for Jan. Turning the laptop so she could read it, Jack said, "This, I believe, was intended for you. I know it comes from a different part of your relationship - not where you thought you were this morning - but read it first, and I have another one for you to read after that. Then I'll tell you about Lisa."

Jack ate quietly as Jan read the mail. Her eyes dampened but no sobs. Turning the machine back to Jack, she found distraction in her wine and food while Jack opened the next mail - the mail intended for him. Swiveling the screen to Jan, he returned to his meal while she read.

Damp eyes turned slowly into wet streaks as Jan finished the mail and silently closed the lid on the computer. Taking a bite of roast beef, she leaned forward on the counter and propped herself on her clasped hands before asking, "She loved you, didn't she?"

Jack felt his own eyes well as he waited to control his emotions enough to speak. "Yes, I believe she did. I also believe she saw something in you that she liked and surely trusted. I know that trust was important to Lisa and not something she took lightly. Reading her last mail to you, I'm reminded a little of the start of my relationship with her. I don't know if this is good or bad, right or wrong, but my feelings tell me she might very well have been on her way to loving you, Jan."

Reaching out to touch his cheek across the counter, Jan hesitated and then said, "Thank you, Jack."

As the food slowly disappeared along with the wine, Jack talked about his and Lisa's time together - how they lived; what they did; and to some degree, how they loved. Jan smiled and enjoyed the stories of their life and laughed openly at the funny details that only true lovers find funny or important. She sighed softly when Jack explained the picture of the two of them sleeping together and where he had his copy. And with that, the afternoon progressed to early evening. Jan cleared the dishes and invited Jack out to the back yard where they could sit under an umbrella and talk about the real task at hand.

Bringing a bottle of scotch and two glasses, she sat across from Jack and asked simply, "What now, Jack; what can we do?"

"We live the status quo. You go out, chat with the guy, and string him along while I try and find him."

"I'm not sure if I can, Jack. Do you realize what that means? What it will feel like? It makes me feel filthy just thinking about it."

"I know, Jan, and I'm sorry. And when you get right down to it, you don't have to do it, but I have to catch the guy somehow, and you're the closest I've come so far."

Jan seemed lost in reverie as she pondered the situation. Jack, not wanting to interrupt or pressure, sat quietly and took in the view, suddenly becoming aware of being outside, not being on the move, sitting and just taking it all in. A strange mixture of exhilaration and trepidation filled him, the cocoon of his fortress falling away slowly as the sun started to chill, touching the horizon to the west just off the south edge of the house.

"Okay, Jack, I'll do it. Whatever it takes; I'll do it for Lisa."

"What can I say but thanks, Jan. Now, what kind of security do you have here?"

JPMMURPHY
JPMMURPHY
28 Followers